mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous Thread:
What was the last castle your party visited ?

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/0BwJV_TmQvYHQY3RwbVJpeVRMMUU/view?usp=sharing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Uh, actually I don't remember ever visiting a castle. Huh.

The castle of a super-old depressed murderous elf situated in the Feywild. His servants were secretly massive cunts but he didn't seem to give a shit about us. Really good taste in wine though.

Just finished DMing Curse of Strahd, liked it. I want to try another official adventure, but first I'm going to ask you - what do you think of each?
I've heard Hoard of the Dragon Queen is shit and Storm King's Thunder is good, but I don't really like the whole nordic theme.

We paid a wizard to teleportation circle us to his colleague, who was willing to pay us for a spellbook we'd stolen.
He was lawful and teleported us to the castle of his liege instead, who had us taken up to the curtain wall and thrown into the moat.

>Is intended to mostly be a front liner without any kind of resistance/sustain(ala bladelock)
Is it? I thought it's supposed to be a semi-squishy DPS that can potentially fuck over enemy casters with a curse or two.
Besides, I don't think any of the class features are really tied to melee.

Why does this not increase the challenge of a challenge 2 beast?

What are some good rituals or flavor for raising skellies and other undead besides "I cast da spel" and generic spooky summin circles?

It's to avoid more CR computation for the DM. Players use it to cheese all features that includes the sentence "of CR X or lower".

I've only ever played a few games with friends in before and we never really focused on backstories.

In the new group I found they all have pretty long ones and I do like the idea of a character having one but I'm really stuck on how to actually write it. Any tips?

Dirgesong

What Nordic theme?

For a long cast spell on skeleton
>Arrange the bones all in their exact positions
>Lock them in place with magic thread
>Trace the over the connections between each bone with your finger
>Cover their body in a thin layer of a pre-prepared paste that quickly dries and expands to form their skin
>Pour a bucket or two of blood down their newly formed throat and wait for it to clot into organs and bone
That's how it works right?

Because people asked in the last thread, Blood Hunter.

drive.google.com/file/d/0BwJV_TmQvYHQY3RwbVJpeVRMMUU/view?usp=sharing

Thanes, jarls, giants, not-Thor, not-Odin and other shit.

MEGA user

the statblocks in the bestiary don't include the creatures's reactions when they have one (Tanarukk's undrided fury for example).

Reposting from last thread.
Does anyone have advie on goodberry specifically?

The ransacked remains of their guildhall, which was taken over by kobolds, trollkin and hobgoblins

Making some campaign settings for a game I'm going to be DM for here are the ideas I have so far-
>fantasy version of moby-dick
>PCs are the secret police for the obligatory big empire
>breaking bad but with alchemists and potions

>hill giant half dragon
>a colony of hill giant half dragons
>Play them like a bunch of rednecks
>WE WUZ QUEENS N' SHEEIT

I swear to fucking god if I see one more homebrew with "Blood", "Death" or any of that crap I'll blow my brains out.

Who can honestly be that edgy? I mean I play kinda edgy characters sometimes but at least I don't throw violence and rape together to make a character.

Probably could've picked a better name, it's essentially a Witcher/Witch Hunter.

It doesn't seem bad, but it doesn't really seem good.

At least at the lower levels, barbarian just seems flat-out better with how much more secure it is, and you're not really missing out on much damage. Barbarian doesn't get anything too interesting in the mid-late levels though, so it'd probably balance out there.

I suppose there isn't quite a 'glass cannon frontliner' character yet, so it's not like it falls under pugilist's problem of simply being there to enable people to do strength with unarmed attacks.

Still, at first glance, I can't see much reason to use strength instead of dexterity for the class. They don't even have heavy armour. Are they intended to be a dex-wis class like the ranger?

Honestly I guess they're like a self-harming ranger, then.

Is there much point to progressing past level 11 as a Tome Warlock? The very last rituals are Drawmij's Instant Summon and Forbiddance; the latter I will likely cast at least once every day, but the former I can only imagine using in extremely specific circumstances. Beyond that are only a few more invocations, and a very limited list of 1/day Mystic Arcanum. Wouldn't multiclassing into something more frontloaded give me something better to do in upcoming levels?

Another thing I'm sick of. Witchers.

The idea's cool and all but after seeing the amount of people who think playing Gerald allows them to be a brooding asshole I'm over it. I don't want to see your light armour gish homebrew playing "I'll get the job done. At any cost".

I wouldn't accept any character sheet with Witcher on it unless I knew the person well.

I'm sorry I'm ranting but my town is full of people playing this shit.

A corpse chosen for resurrection is cut into parts of convenient size, boiled in clean water, linen strips of mummification are removed, and the skull and bones liquefied and boiled until all water is gone. What remains in the bottom Is a white crystalline substance that may be carried in the palms of two hands. This white powder contains the Essential Salts of the man whose corpse was boiled, it is from this powder that the living body may be reconstituted and made to serve as a house for the soul, which is called back into its former flesh by words of power.

It is a great shock to the soul to tear it back from its resting place and reanimate it. The resurrected are often insane and scream ceaselessly or dash themselves into walls. If the salts are contaminated with the essence of other living beings when the mummy has been the breeding place of vermin, the revitalization of the salts produces something that is part man and part whatever gnawed his corpse. These horrors lack the faculty of speech, or their speech is crazed and bestial and must be immediately slain; for though the memory of the man may remain intact, the verminous parts of his reanimated nature inhibit his human expression.

Those who have served their purpose are killed by strangulation with a cord around the neck, and their bodies burned, their ashes gathered and cast into the river, where the currents carry them to sea.

Got a few thoughts from the last thread, but I'm still planning on having a boss Aboleth, and I wanna make him a spell caster. Need some more ideas of a spell list.

What kind of villian character is he, will he blast, will he shield himself, will he befuddle, or what?

I'm a big fan of blindness, multi-target no-concentration required debuff. Slow is also brutally annoying to face as players, combine for a two turn fuck you that messes with the party plan.

Counterspell is also a must have.

How about all of the above?
The PCs are secret police/bounty hunters searching for a war-forged captain far beyond the empires borders that is threatening the empire with research into Big Kingdom's biggest taboo performance-enhancing alchemy.

the PCs will be majorly tracking and destroying major trafficking trades and shady business on the borderlands of The Empire, while hunting this elusive creature.

far from civilization they will finally find or infiltrate the crew of the warforged and his mad quest to "pierce the heart of the sea", this is not a good thing ill leave vague as to its potential issues. Could be the planet starts to become dark-suns if you crank the dial that high, or simply endanger the empire directly be savage killing of a powerful creature for infernal reagents.

could even be planar if you want it to be...

huh...
i have plans for a tower
a collapsed ruined castle
the standing remains of a castle
and there's the current king of the remains of the old elven empire who lives in a castle
but i have no planned castle romps

Ulfrun the Dense.
Level 8 Conjuration Wizard Sage.
HP 66hp
AC 18AC
Speed 25ft
STR 19
DEX 10
CON 18
INT 8
WIS 14
CHA 8
Saves: Int, Wis.
Gear: Battleaxe, Fullplate.
Skills: History, Arcana, Insight, Religion, Brewers Tools.
Abilities & Traits: Darkvision, Dwarven Resileince, Stonecunning, Dwarven Combat & Armour training, Arcane Recovery, ASI(+1STR, +1CON, Heavy Armour Training), Conjuration Savant, Minor Conjuration, Benign Transposition.
Spell slots: 4-1st level, 3-2nd level, 3-3rd level, 2-4th level.
Cantrips: Booming Blade, Prestidigitation, Mage hand, Mending.
Spells: Absorb elements, Find Familiar, Fog cloud, Identify, Sleep, Shield, Magic Missile, Unseen Servant, Cloud of Daggers, Knock, Misty Step, Magic Weapon, Counterspell, Haste, Leomunds Tiny Hut, Wall of Sand, Conjure Minor elementals, Fire Shield, Arcane Eye, Dimension Door.

Ulfrun is a wizard, a very lazy and poor one at that. He paid little attention in his studies, performed poorly on examinations and only barely managed to achieve the minimum passable grades to be released from the academy as a fully fledge wizard. Many who know him refer to him as "Ulfrun the Dense", a nickname he misunderstands the insult as praise for his stocky build and hardy figure. He perferred Conjuration magic, it was convenient he claimed, using it to shortcut many efforts in life by simply summoning an unseen servant to do it for him if he couldn't summon it himself, some have even claimed to see him teleport up a flight of stairs rather than walk them. He never understood why spellcasters shun armour, he never found it to interfere with his magic at all, simply yell the magic words and club the bastard upside the head, simple.

I believe the name had to be changed for some copyright reasons, since the original homebrew class for a promotional thing, and was indeed called "Witch Hunter". This fits the themes and central mechanics, though.

Also, only idiots make edgy characters just because their class name sounds edgy.

>playing Gerald allows them to be a brooding asshole
tell them they dont really know Geralt as a character then
Geralt is stoic and can be sarcastic but brooding asshole is a mischaracterization

Hmm, I'd like him themed around sort of like, alien, otherplanetary kinda spells. Arms of Hadar, Magic Missle, that sort of thing

That's the worst part. I like Gerald as a character, he's a good example of realistic character.

They're just retarded.

>Artificer Alchemist
I can finally play plague doctor

Don't forget to use your magical infusions exclusively on vials of water.

I guess that's just a flavor thing?

My players really enjoyed HotDQ/RoT, I did have to change a lot but its an ok adventure. Suits players who maybe prefer a bit more railroading

Power word: Kill
Power word: Kill
and
Power word: Fuck You

That sounds like the reaction one of my players had to me making my own spells before, so I'm trying to keep it slim, despite everyone else liking them

Thanks user I think I will mix in a bit but of apocalypse now so it's get progressively more fucked up as they get closer to the end

I actually quite like this class.

Oh, that's a great idea. I wanna play a plague doctor now too.

Rate my shadow monk.

>Not shadow target shield

Slap some warlock spells on him.

Armour of Agyths is a fantastic experience for players to realise that wailing on him in melee isn't a good plan.

Hex can make a player feel physically and literally vulnerable and under inspection, adding to the "Panic".

Command, Magic Missile, Dissonant whispers and Phantasmal force all work well, Confusion, Blindness and Slow work well for space theme as well as previously mentioned, just being quite good to use against PC's.

Counterspell for obvious reasons to shut down any must-prevent spells*. Banishment is pretty rude if a key party member is removed from the combat but boring for that party member.

Some of the water spells like Maelstrom are easily worked as funky gravity magic.

I'm not sure what CR an Aboleth is so not sure what to suggest for him, but if hes a boss-type encounter feel free to slap some extras on him like "Cast a level 1 spell as a legendary reaction."

*Seriously, spellcasters can ruin combats, I know because I played one, our last BBEG fight started and ended with "You're now retarded, feeblemind portent a two."

Check out Tome of Beasts. I think the first entry is a beefed-up aboleth with far realm powers.

Funny story, I'm actually homebrewing that right now.

>Laito

Psssh. Nothin personnel, daimyo

A normal aboleth is cr 9, but I wanted to get him to about 15

oh /5eg/ how hard would it be to play a bard that lives BRUTALLY?

Very. Your spell list is heavily loaded with illusion and enchantment schools. At least you have Heat Metal, though.

Not too bad, honestly. Go Valour and find a way to pick up Haste. For instance, a single level of Wizard will let you copy the spell into your spellbook and cast it with your combined wizard and bard slots.

I take it you don't want to hear about my new homebrew, the Dark Deathblood

I'd rather not, no.

>trying to build an Awakened Mystic for a 1-5 game
>can't figure out how to make this class do anything but charm a few times per day and shoot a crossbow
>DM will get mad if I cheese Mind Vault
I should just bite the bullet and play an Immortal, right?

Want to hear about my homebrew race, the DoomDark BabyEater WereVampire?

>Dark wood grain ring
I hope you plan to take Satire Bard 3.

What are some reasons a faerunian drow would be raised by a non-drow race?

I can't think of much better than young drow sacrifice/ransoming gone wrong, leading to a young drow child to be found/taken by outsiders, and that doesn't even sound decent to me

>Inb4 dont be a drow, it's far too late for that

Spam lethal strike? Also conquering mind is pretty cheesy. "Target believe whatever you say"?

A drow village is going to be attacked by Illithids, and since they are cut off from the other drow, they're forced to ask the duergar for help. The duergar refuse, and the village is captured and taken to have those worm things from Volos' implanted. One duergar soldier has a bad conscience from it, and goes to the village after, where he finds a lone drow child hiding out. He's a LN duergar, and doesn't believe in slaughtering the innocent, so he adopts the drow child and tries to instill duergar virtues in it.

Aristocrats playing out a cruel bet.
>I say, good chap, I'll bet you 60,000 gold pieces that you can't raise a Drow child and not have them turn into a homocidal maniac by the age of 26 after they get treated like shit by literally everyone for being a disgusting dark elf
>Too easy, my old bean; the wealth and privilege afforded to him by being of my family would easy compensate for the inherent racial prejudices of allkind
>Shall we have him raised by a poor peasant family? To be well-compensated, of course
>Capital
Make sure the Drow finds out that his adopted parents never really loved him, they're just waiting for their fucking payday.

What's wrong with using mind vault to get Greatsword proficiency in combat?

After a while he's discovered, and the duergar hold a court martial. Since he's served well, he won't be executed. Instead, he will be exiled from the duergar. He goes to the surface with the drow child.

Well, lethal strike requires a melee weapon, and as an Awakened with no martial proficiency my options for finesse weapons (gotta have some Dex for Med Armor; can't go full Strength) are piss-weak

It's more the stat spread.

Looking for some ideas/inspiration for a level 1-8 campaign and I am having trouble coming up with anything my players might like. I could look to some of the campaigns published for 5e already, and I'm not beyond the idea of updating or porting a module from an older edition, just need something to get the ideas flowing.

If it helps, my players like a mix of roleplay and combat, favoring a low to mid-tier level of magic/fantasy. Last couple campaigns have been year-long ones in other game editions, and I just want a breather campaign that's not as high stakes and be something that is kinda comfy.

Play an Elf! Be cute! Use shortsword and 2 lethal strike per round!

>DM will get mad if I use my class feature even if I'm underpowered otherwise
What a shitter.

I categorically R E F U S E to ever play an elf
It's bad enough this class is unworkable with a Dwarf

I know that feeling. I love Bladesinger, but my GM is adamant that only elves can pick it.

Variant human? Hobgoblin?

Half my table has it in their heads that the Mystic is some ungodly overpowered piece of bullshit so I'm already on thin ice having gotten approval for it in the first place

Meanwhile I'm here trying to figure out how in the holy fuck I would even get it to powerful, let alone over-powerful

Thus far my best idea is a social-based shitheel that's as close as you get to "i roll persuade" without playing a Bard

Thanks a lot, i think even the aristocrat thing might play a bit in it. Theres still a lot of pieces to put together, but it defiantly seems like a good track.

Also nice 6s. Even my post was a 6.

>lethal strike
>awakened mind
How? Do I not understand something? I thought it was an immortal-only thing.

Yeah, he's really a satire bard who claims to be a college of whispers bard. He beatboxes disses at enemies.

Isekai that shit up
> he was an Elf but he got reincarnate into a Dwarf

I've got 10/14/13/16/12/12 with point buy and taking Observant for +1 Int with the Var.Human feat.
I'd kind of like to have a bit of Wis and Cha for reasons but I suppose I could dump the Wis.

My other problem is that the rest of the party is gearing up to be a bunch of cowardly ranged assholes and I'm always playing the tank so someone is gonna have to get the shit beaten out of them and it will probably default to me even though I am woefully underbuilt for melee.

You can take disciplines from outside of your order, you just don't get the archetype-specific bonuses when spending PP on a cross-order discipline.

Go variant human then, grabbing a feat that gives a bonus to DEX and let's you do something interesting?

You can take any discipline. It's writtrn kn page 5.

The only thing having a discipline that match your order actually do is to trigger your mystical recovery.

What do you think famalams.
I want to have a long death monk that's either
18monk/2undead warlock or 18monk/2death cleric (or maybe 14/6).

Why warlock you ask?
Mainly because I like the idea of false life expert existing so I can basically always have +8 temp hp before ever murdering anyone. And the "See through another" I could roleplay as a sort of "mini possession"
Also hex could potentially net me some decent bonus damage, and it fits thematically being that it's necrotic. Could also help me win out grapple checks.

Now death cleric is cool because of the natural wis stat synergy, I gain some healing utility, shield of faith, and the ability to just add 9 points of extra necrotic damage once between rests when I hit someone. Additionally, I'd be able to snag chill touch, which would be a decent ranged cantrip that I could use to target two people (provided their close to eachother).

Thoughts? The theme of this is Mr. Ghost Monk Guy, btw.

>Diresingers
>Necrodancers
>Iron Heades
Why is 5eg so Bardic today? What went so right?

>archetype-specific bonuses
Scratch this, it's a base class thing. Still.

So basically you're running into MAD issues? How about half-elf? Might help with stat distribution a bit more, even if you lose Observant feat.

Bard is objectively the best class in 5e.

What monsters would people like to see?
What adventurers would people like to see?

Anything Ormagoden

This bardposting has reawakened my love for Brutal Legend as a setting.

If you are going to end up being a tank then... I would say just go with immortal...

The drow is a half-drow bastard rape child. Honestly the drow should have a bunch of rape babies.

Alternatively, the drow is a half-demon raised by demons.

Does anyone at all remember the old Ghostwalk book for 3e? If you got to import one thing from Ghostwalk to 5E, what would it be? How would you like to see it done?

I love the idea of a Ghost-only class. A class meant to represent a (dead) character focusing on improving their ghostly powers. It's so fucking flavorful, but any time I try to adapt it (like I tried a few threads ago), it ends up sort of bad. Anyone else want Ghost-classes back? I think it'd be a cool addition.

Sorcerer (Ghost Bloodline). Done.

Your adoptive parent is a fanboy/girl of Drizzt and kidnapped you from the underdark in attempt to make a second Drizzt.

>If you got to import one thing from Ghostwalk to 5E, what would it be?
ghosts or walking

>just a flavor thing
kek'd

But what if you don't want to be a sorcerer?

Now that's just silly.

Ghosts glide.

>When taking a girl home involves dragging her through levels of the abyss

Anybody statted out Khajiit for use in 5e?

We need more horror-oriented stuff for 5e. And give us more modern-world options. I would play the fuck outta that.

Well, there IS a ghost race in this bit of homebrew.

If you want to ghost it up even more, I'd pair it with either the Shadow sorcerer or an Awakened mystic, depending on.