/ysg/ - Yog-sothothery General

This thread is meant to inspire Lovecraftian Veeky Forums (like Delta Green and CoC) and discuss Lovecraft's works for inspiration along with anything else that fits into this genre or takes place in the Yog-Sothothery.

>The Texts of Lore that Men were not meant to know:
eldritchdark.com
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/

>PDF Archive:

>Call of Cthulhu
mediafire.com/folder/h9qjka0i4e75t/Call_Of_Cthulhu

>Atchung! Cthulhu
mega.nz/#F!ywcHkIAA!ycphEhCOkbnjOvAQ4t7TBg

>Pulp Cthulhu
mega.nz/#!L9EFWSIT!o6clZxfdrVSOLkmcQz3wQ2Af9-hKsUxKc7214VynuY4

>AM1200
vimeo.com/102372269

>The Objective
youtube.com/watch?v=D1zt4EnegXg

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/3wewotnl3ns5vn3/CoC - DG - Rulebook - Delta Green Rulebook.pdf
mediafire.com/?njg3a0ne7v130
mediafire.com/download/f3ygcpda5cfitl7/CoC - DG - Rulebook - Countdown.pdf
dropbox.com/s/6vc7fuxg5n5jyfd/Delta Green Need to Know.pdf?dl=1
uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1461968691
drive.google.com/open?id=0B3puo-NNPA2bQVNTN2RlLURYX0E
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

[A] nineteenth century British cult believed in [a] comet-god who sang to the stars and planets as it passed by them in its orbit. They said it destroyed those worlds it passed, by waking up demons or ancient gods ... who slept on each world.
—Kevin A. Ross, "The Music of the Spheres"

Ghroth (the Harbinger) resembles a small, rust-colored planet or moon with a single, gigantic red eye which it can close to avoid detection. Ghroth drifts throughout the universe singing its siren song, the Music of the Spheres. As it swings by a planet, any Great Old One or Outer God sleeping there is awakened by the song. This usually results in the extinction of all life on the planet or perhaps even the utter destruction of the planet itself.

Ghroth is believed to be responsible for the periodic mass extinctions that wiped out 90% of all life on earth, including the extinction of the dinosaurs at the end of the Cretaceous era. It may also have caused the destruction of the planet Shaggai, the homeworld of the intelligent, insect-like Shan. For this reason, Ghroth is also known as Nemesis, or the Death Star, named after the Nemesis Hypothesis, first proposed by American astronomers David Raup and Jack Sepkoski.

Appears in "The Tugging" ( The Disciples of Cthulhu , DAW books, 1976)

Rhogog is a Great Old One and was born when Cthulhu's blood was spilt upon the ground during a clash between Cthulhu and his half-brother Hastur, hinted to have occurred around Great Britain or Ireland. Intending to use the blood for some unnamed purpose, several Star-Spawn put an entity into his spilt blood, an entity which would ensure that the blood would never be harmed. This entity lay dormant, gathering power, and eventually became the being called Rhogog.

Rhogog is a being of darkness, although normally is seen in the form of a great, black tree. No matter what shape he takes, he is always very hot to the touch. It is unknown if this is simply due to Cthulhu's blood within him or some other aspect of his dark nature.

>Lovecraftian Veeky Forums (like Delta Green

So put it in the OP you silly sausage

>The Group (Old and Busted)

>Delta Green 6th edition - mediafire.com/download/3wewotnl3ns5vn3/CoC - DG - Rulebook - Delta Green Rulebook.pdf
>CoC Delta Green - mediafire.com/?njg3a0ne7v130
>Countdown - mediafire.com/download/f3ygcpda5cfitl7/CoC - DG - Rulebook - Countdown.pdf

>The Program (The New Hotness)

>Need to Know - dropbox.com/s/6vc7fuxg5n5jyfd/Delta Green Need to Know.pdf?dl=1
>Agent's Handbook - uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1461968691
>Case Officer's Handbook Preview drive.google.com/open?id=0B3puo-NNPA2bQVNTN2RlLURYX0E

So, /ysg/, I'm running a "cowboy" campaign in the mid-2000s (yes, I know the Group is legal again in canon.) They've entrusted the weird iron knife with the human bone handle found in "Last Things Last" to a distant Friendly. What bad things would you cause as a result of this?

whats the pic from? looks cool

Several ideas off the top of my head:

> The knife starts talking, convinces the friendly to start ritualistically killing strangers.

> The runes start glowing, and the knife begins to act like a compass, pointing directly to a cultist ritual based in Ireland.

> The friendly gets arrested for something unrelated to DG; players are tasked with recovering the knife from local law enforcement.

> The friendly is found dead, with multiple stab wounds. Fingerprints on the knife connect the murder to a PC/bond/someone interesting, and the players have to figure out what really happened.

Has anyone run/played DG - Observer Effect yet?

Appreciate the ideas. The friendly is a PC and believes the runes on the blade refer to the legend of the monster Grendel. My original plan was to have it be a weapon that can damage the incorporeal, but I like the compass idea very much.

This is probably the worst one yet

>bio: Rhogog the Great Old One was born with a special power....

>just want to play a one-shot of 7e before I leave
>everybody would rather play medieval dnd shit

Why is it so hard to look for players /ysg/?

>7e

Looks like you just answered your own question

What's wrong with 7e?

bumpio

Beyond the classic Mythos writers, who are some good examples of Mythos writing? Who are good sources of inspiration?

Have any of you run a campaign based on someone like Kafka's work or a different writer?

>Beyond the classic Mythos writers, who are some good examples of Mythos writing?

Look up Charles Stross

The solution should actually be fairly obvious.

Run Cthulhu Dark Ages, Cthulhu Invictus, or any other theme setting.

I want to try my hand at being Keeper for the first time. If I manage to convince my group--who've never played CoC--to try a new system/setting, should I jump into pic related or should we test the waters with a smaller scenario?

My advice would be 'go small'. If they've never played run them through a one shot or anything that would segue into a larger string of adventures before you go dropping them into the deep end.

>first time Keeper running long, complex, well-known CoC adventure

I'd say probably not, do a few shorter ones first. The one in the 7e rule book is good.

Y'know, I don't like the 'war in heaven' shit either, but the bare concept itself is fairly cool, and the story it comes from is more Lovecraftian than a lot of imitators these days.

It's not cool at all, it reads more like a generic Mary Sue comic than the background of some ancient and cosmic horror from the blackest reaches of space beyond the reach of modern telescopes.

Simply creating a being from the blood of a well established character in the lore is not a great move because it will only relay 'OC DONUT STEEL' to your players.

I would not make an origin story for some new being in my campaign and leave more to interpretation like Haunter of the Dark.

Do you got the Lover in the Ice and Kali Ghati? they are adventures for the new DG.

Also, can we all agree that DG combat>>CoC combat (except if you want pulpier scenarios)

I would agree if that were the case. But I've been trying to post out 'lfg' threads everywhere. Just so I could run a quick CoC oneshot. Could be the date being a weekend-evening. But I feel it's more or less people just dont want to play one-shots for CoC? I feel people would rather have a nice long campaign. But I could be wrong.

*weekDAY evening

>Simply creating a being from the blood of a well established character
You may wanna bulk up that reading comprehension; Star Spawn put it in the blood to guard it.

I get it, you don't like [thing]. Nobody's putting a gun to your head and forcing you to include an obscure side entity in the Mythos at the forefront of your precious scenarios.

Well I definitely won't put it in any setting I run but that doesn't mean I can't critique it and say how I feel and I feel that what you created is a pile of shit and belongs in a Mary sue thread.

Blog Sothoth, drawn as an illustration for a short story

>Do you got the Lover in the Ice and Kali Ghati?

Yes

>Also, can we all agree that DG combat>>CoC combat

Yes. The new DG has loads of rules problems, like the initiative band being so small that half the table acts simultaneously, and fiddliness with fighting back and dodging when it's not your turn to act, but it's better than rolling damage for each individual bullet in a burst of automatic fire.

Everything about this module is great, except for the monster itself, which is a bargain basement xenomorph

>what you created
More like Michael Saint-Paul.
Also your entire "critique" is literally memes.

Is Call of Cthulhu the closest i'm going to get to if I want to run a Bloodborne-like RPG?

Does sanity really factor into Bloodborne? I know occupations and credit ratings and most of the skills available don't really apply

I don't see why you couldn't just run it on a mainstream fantasy system with some tweaks

What is the best minor creature in the Mythos and why is it pic related?

Any advice for a newish keeper? Ran a few of my own games years ago and wanted to get back into it. I was thinking of running a pre written one this time. Any recommendations?

I'm a fan of Cthonians but I'm partial to Brian Lumley.

Any user's know about really hardcore purists senarios?
System doesn't matter.
Sor far I have
1. Dying of St. Margaret
2. Watchers from the Sky
3. Dances in the Blood
4. The Rending Box
5. Fairyland
6. Sukapak

The Shan are the best Lovecraftian monster Lovecraft never created.

Definitely not.
Masks is a brutal meat grinder that will eat even experienced investigators alive.
Play something small. My recommendations
Crimson Letters in CoC 7th ed core book
Edge of Darkness in CoC 6th ed core book

Any campaign recommendations for a mix of moderately experienced players and new ones?

Thank you, just thank you. I plan to buy the Case Officer book for a change, I do like the company that makes these.

Also, asking to all of you lads, is there a good setting in space? The Void's wardens are pretty meh, but I am quite interested in Shadows over Sol, But I am yet to check the pdf.

The preview they released of the Case Officer's Book is pretty bad. Just a rehash of all the terrible lore from the old editions of the game. If it's any indication of the final product I definitely won't be paying for it.