I'm in trouble. Ohh, I'm in trouble

I'm in trouble. Ohh, I'm in trouble.
I'm supposed to start running a game for my group tomorrow. I've been worldbuilding and coming up with plots and everything for a couple weeks now. But here's the rub. I don't want them to play in it anymore. I've got this image in my head of what I want to see happen, how I want to watch my creation unfold and exist. And I know that's not going to be how the game goes because I don't want to railroad.
In the words of Anthony Hopkins in WestWorld, "I just want to tell my stories".
Wat do, Veeky Forums? Wat do?

Write the stories, and let the players fiddle in the realm. Practice your improvisational GMing skills and use the experience to further explore and more deeply know the world you're building. Use it as a part of the feedback loop.

ya dingus

Do LSD before the game.

But if they fiddle in it, I'll witness them fiddling with the things I've grown to love like children. I also don't want their fiddling to make any impression on my own ideas, contaminating my writing.
Basically, I just want to go full spoiled brat and not share. This also always seems to happen to me. I'm fucked in the head, aren't I?

Then you write things with the wrong mindset. You can get attached to characters, but imagine writing characters and things into a book you hand out to GRRM to finish without any guidelines. Some of them are going to die. But they don't have to die empty-handed. Create backup plans if certain key characters die, because really, the good thing about GMing is that if you don't go into too much detail about the nitty-gritty, you can make any story arc happen with little to no sweat.

You will end up as a hard "That GM" if you think your grand storyline is more important than the very core of an RPG, role-playing.

Actually, let me ask you a question:
How straightforward are your notes? Because if you have exact notes how this and this character will do this and this, causing this and this... It's fine, as long as there is something else, too. You must design the game from the players' perspective. Just take out all the unnecessary shit from your notes, and suddenly you can have it all unfold no matter what the characters do (unless they go full Henderson). Remember, as long as you incorporate non-obvious reactions to character actions, they will think probably think you're a genius.

Like, for some major turns that can happen, such as "They never attend the funeral of X" or "Y dies prematurely", you can write short notes, no need to go into detail, just detailing what their deaths encompass. And if you can't figure out how the world is shaken by important NPC:s, they aren't that important.

Write a book, publish it, earn lots of cash and buy yourself a premade adventure you are gonna play with your group.

If you're lime me, your world is mostly developed in one place and less developed elsewhere. Set the campaign in "elsewhere" and just use tweaked versions of the hooks you've already turned into plots.

>"I just want to tell my stories"
Ford knew that the ability to improvise made his characters feel more lifelike, and his stories more rich. Otherwise, they're just reading a script.

Ford actually has RPG worldbuilding down 100%. Make characters, give them drives and goals, and let them loose alongside the players. Of course, some events and plot hooks are pre-planned, but Ford didn't plan things TOO perfectly, because he knew that he had to leave room for what his guests experience.

This.

Unless you've never done it before.

Put your players in a random town, in a random country, and let your players do what they want to do.

If you gonna quote WestWorld, you should do like Ford at the end, then : set the scene and let the players do what they will.

If you want to write stories, just write them! Nobody is preventing you from doing that.
Take from the adventures of your players what seems interesting, reject the rest as non-canon.

I don't see a problem. In fact I'm pretty much the same, but I've been happily surprised by my players on several occasions.

Maybe get better players?

What kind of game were they expecting?

Railroad the shit out of them.

But the hosts weren't players, they were npcs.

Looks like someone's found the problem with extensive worldbuilding! My advice is to stop being a little bitch and let your players run around in whatever you've got. Guaranteed they'll do more interesting shit than whatever you have planned.

No. They won't. This is the most vanilla group. Except when they go out of their way to be as oblivious to plot hooks as possible and just sit around doing literally nothing.

Then what's the problem? If they're not going to do anything anyway, why would you be freaking out that they'll possibly taint your pwecious widdle world?

Stop being a baby, make up your goddamn mind, and run a fucking game already you chode smoker.

>I've been worldbuilding and coming up with plots and everything for a couple weeks now.
It will almost NEVER go the way you envision unless the situation is so narrow and linear that there is almost nothing else they can do.

>In the words of Anthony Hopkins in WestWorld, "I just want to tell my stories".
>Wat do, Veeky Forums? Wat do?
Keep your fantasies to yourself in your offtime and don't play ttrpgs? That's pretty much it.

What's with all the hostility and needless name calling? You seem upset. Or incapable of discourse.

I am upset because your attitude kills games. You're so goddamn worried that your players might do something to your hombrew world, but then turn around and admit that, no, they probably won't do anything drastic. Those are some very mixed fucking signals there, which makes me think you're either baiting (which is likely) or just a wishy washy faggot trying to wriggle his way out of GMing for no goddamn reason.

So stop shitposting. Run your game.

Nah I think I'll just brake it to my friends instead.
I think I might instead write a book based on what I've already came up with. I might even put their characters in it and have them be the heroes of the story.

Yeah. Uh huh. Sure you will.