What would a fantasy setting based on African folklore be like?

What would a fantasy setting based on African folklore be like?

Other urls found in this thread:

atlas-games.com/nyambe/
uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1442897962
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There would be kangz, and there would most certainly be shiet.

Also Anansi.

Well, there's Nyambe, which is a setting for 3.5, I believe.

atlas-games.com/nyambe/

Of course, around here all you're gonna get is WE WUZ KANGZ.

I BEAT YOU TO IT, NYUGGA.

Good job. Now go post in an Aether Revolt thread about poo in loo.

Hiding the /pol/ thread since reporting them does no good.

Probably tribal fantasy.
GURPS Fantasy II (Madlands) do it well even if the Madlanders are more south americans natives.
Still a good source of inspiration.
Here a link uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1442897962

Jamuura from MTG.

>perfectly normal thread about African folklore
>automatically a /pol/ thread
You are the problem.

It depends. Africa is a huge place and there are a lot of cultures there to use.

starvation, mostly

Like prehistoric cavemen, and aids.

>inb4 a bunch of edgy /pol/shitposters
But if you're serious and not just laying out bait then look at the actual mythology for inspiration on content and themes.

>Also Anansi.
Seconding this, can't have African setting without the old spider tricking niggas left and right.

Which part of Africa? It's a pretty big place.

What is up with black people and wanting to be Wizards?

Brace for the WE

for you

They're just trying to get back to what they were before the white man stole the secrets of melanin.

>Mbielu-Mbielu-Mbielu
I just love how since the creature supposed to have some kind of spikes on it's back cryptozoologists all jumped into conclusion it's a stegosaurus. Why are they so shit?

underrated post

First day on Veeky Forums?

People like convenient coincidences and explanations that seem logically intuitive to them.

The Baneposting just gets better with age, man.

"We expect you to give us tribute promptly. We've trained this thing on when and where to shit."

If you don't expect every single post that contains the word "big" to get a baneply, I don't know what to tell you

Its a pretty kickass book if you can find it, a really great read.

A long time ago somebody on suptg had a copy, but it was d20 so I didn't bother saving it.

Kinda wish I had now.

Have a recurring NPC who insists on fighting naked

Mercenary bands that wear women's clothes

WE

That's Sun Ra, pleb.

Shamans, witchdoctors, drugs, poverty, bare titties, stupid jewelry, rain dances and an invading force of white devils

>not wanting to be a wizard
>current year

what are you gay?

A disease-infested wasteland full of violence and rape.

Y'know, like real-life Africa.

WE WUZ WIZARDS

WUZ

You must be so pleasant

CHAMPIONS, MY FRIENDS

WIZARDS

KANGZ

AND SHIEEET.

Can you still become a wizard if take it up the ass?

The fuck is this guy, Geralt of Zambia?

Has anyone posted the basket monsters? Someoene needs to post the basket monsters.

What about the man eating trees of Madagascar instead?

>don't adventure
>collect welfare
>shoot other adventurers with your bow for gang territory
>kill any dragon that isn't the right color fire or lighting, you can choose which ones you fight with when you generate your character
>cast "detect gang" on every other player
>Ask the humans why they're more successful than your race
>wonder why you never chose a different race
>meet the KANG, realize your character WUZ royalty
>don't even try to apply for a guild because you love those unemployment benefits

>your quest begins
Okay.... so you all start in a KFC...

>every character acts like a rogue rogue with all the stats and abilities of barbarians

Dis boi wearin' neutral colors but he rollin' in a blood dragon. You in da wrong hood, mah drigga
>throws guild signs
>pulls out spear

What's with all the "What would a fantasy setting based on ________ folklore be like?" threads lately?

That hoop in the tit is more disturbing than the man-eating tree...

I miss that set.

That's not a hoop, it's one of the thinner tentacles.

Don't fuck around with African dwarves.

They will give you magical artifacts, but turn your back on them and they might eat you... or run to your home and eat your family.

Also South Africa has a myth about the ancestor of elephants and snakes living below the Earth. The greatsnake.

Shit looks like something out of a Lovecraft story.

Space is the place... space is the place...

user has a partician taste in music.

Came here expecting kangz in the first post and was not disappointed. Except I was

Bane posting predates the movie.

Here is some serious Pratchett Bane Posting from 20+ years ago from the book Truckers.

>no physical evidence
>all sightings from remote african villages
>hurr why do people assume its just this animal that shares base physical traits?!?
Why are cryptidfags such delusional tards?

Cyberpunk African setting with traditional folklore as the backbone for the story?

I want to play in Cyberpunk Africa where private military companies fight each other with their giant animal mechs

also what system would you use for something like this?

Mirage was the best.

AWWW YEAH
FUCKING GROOTSLANG

I was too young to appreciate Mirage when it came out but damn that set was chock full of excellent lore. They wrote a fucking epic poem and used it to fill out flavor text, as far as I know that is a feat that is singular in M:tG history

Why not Shadowrun? Seriously.

Well first you have to decide what part of Africa you're basing your setting off of unless you're going for a pan-African mishmash of various beliefs, but there are some things that show up a lot.

First off, child heroes and people born specifically to be heroes. There are a lot of stories about a woman giving birth to a supernatural child, that can sometimes speak to them before it's even born. They usually come out the womb already as intelligent as an adult or sometimes with the body of an actual adult. Most times they're born to deal with a specific threat, some monster has started attacking the village, a punk hyena says it's going to eat the mom's children. stuff like that. But occasionally they're born with no noticeable purpose at all and just set off to prove how big their balls are like Makoma.

Another thing, there are a lot of spirits that seemed to focus on killing you in your sleep. I think one day I came across like a dozen creatures who were all some variation of "this thing comes into your house at night and feeds on/chokes out the life of children and the sickly. You usually have to keep them away with wards and such.

Duality plays a big part in a lot of culture's where monotheism hadn't really taken shape yet. I know some people in Africa regarded twins as being supernatural and possessing magical powers. I remember reading a story that said that all the Gods were born with a male and female partner and that they needed each other to form order. One time a Male god tried to form a universe on his own, but it all unraveled into chaos without his other side.

Cyberpunk Africa has so much untapped potential. Especially if you use Shadowrun because then you get to draw on the massive amount of African mythology that most players will be totally unfamiliar with. Seems a really nice changeup if your group is getting bored with standard settings.

The setting of Elona from Guild Wars is pretty cool but it's more 'inspired by' than 'based on'

Yet nobody bitches when people ask about European or Chinese folklore.

Chicago

>this new
In every thread discussing European or Medieval fantasy or setting, at least 100 replies will be about
>England have more that just Tolkien, you fucking plebs. Where muh Saxons?????
>Where are the Italian folklores?
>Where muh Nordic legends?????? REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
>European setting
>East European just a footnote

The only reason why the Chinese setting get no bitching about being smashed together is because there are very few people are interested outside of wuxia.

That's clearly a woman eating tree though

A. They do, you know it, and are trolling
B. Even if that was true, the fact remains that China is a single country whose folklore has homogenized so long ago the different tribal elements are all but inseparable whilst Europe is about the size of Africa's asshole and has, due to various ethnogeographical reasons, had for most of its history a far more homogenic culture than Africa. The very fact that both Poland and France are Christian already makes them way closer to each other culturally than, for that matter, two tribes from the opposite ends of South Africa, which would be all but completely alien to each other in pretty much every respect.

Controversial.

Isn't Shadowrun Africa just a terrible shithole?
I think I was reading one of the old books, the Piracy one and Africa was one of the worst places.

Do you think the writer read that book and subconciously drew on it when writing the plane scene?

I'm gonna recommend 'Spears of the Dawn'. D20 system, classes like Marabout and Griot fighting snake-men and undead egyptian megalomaniacs in fantasy Mali. It's GOAT.

>Vorefags have been around forever
>Plant vore has been a thing forever

Damn humanity, that's weird.

Underrated post

Also Shadowrun Africa is the only place with a Ghoul run nation.

I'm not sure anywhere in Shadowrun isn't a shit hole for 99% of people.

That being said Africa is described as chaotic and its internal borders are constantly shifting outside of a few stable nations. Frankly I find that appealing in a setting because the GM can create a custom environment and the PCs can actually change it without going against canon.

Damn, should run a campaign where the players are trying to found a new country next time. Sort of a Shadowrun Kingmaker.

>players take over a volatile country and begin an ethnic cleansing

It's simply inevitable

>Yet nobody bitches when people ask about European or Chinese folklore.

You could fit both Europe and China into Africa and have room to spare.

I think that people exaggerate how awful life is in shadowrun.

This is now an African Cyberpunk thread

Really? What makes you say that?

GURPS