What would be a good system to run an over the top super hero game, sort of like pic related...

What would be a good system to run an over the top super hero game, sort of like pic related. Also bonus if its easy to learn as I we have to new players in the group

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/a2v2xm7cpct8znh/Worlds in Peril (CC version).rar?dl=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

D&D

Any specific edition? Is D&D flexible enough?

bump for possible help

Fate, its extremely rules light because it relies on your players being able to do improvisational roleplaying. Its setting agnostic and has many books that cover all kinds of settings. Base Raiders can do over the top.

Savage Worlds is kind of between Fate and D&D in terms of rules complexity and in this regard is somewhere between Fate and D&D. Like Fate, it is setting agnostic and probably has a setting book for supers. I'll see if I can find one.

I haven't tried it myself but from what I hear Mutants & Masterminds isn't that difficult to learn, that should have some good OTT superhero rules in there if you fiddle around with it a little bit.

sorry, to clarify a bit:
Base Raiders is a setting book for Fate.

Savage Worlds might be just what you're looking for since the system is meant to be very cinematic and actiony without having a ton of rules. Try the Super Powers Companion.

M&M is very modular and is explicitly designed for supers games but you have to wade through quite a lot to get the parts you want and its very easily broken, even accidentally. It's essentially D&D with a million extra rules to accurately simulate different super powers. Extremely versatile but with that comes the fact that it deals with a lot of problems that are legacy issues for anything based off the D&D model.

Both Fate and Savage Worlds require very little in the way of fiddling to get the systems to do exactly what you want.

Mutants & Masterminds. Ignore as he's bullshitting hard.

It's "broken" in the way that Superman is "broken": that's how the freaking genre works. It's also so easy to break things that there's no reason you can't break things right back; no convoluted builds to justify here, just build your PC/NPC as you want. What's that, you made a character that literally can't be hurt and can tank nukes? Well the monster of the week can easily pick you up and throw you into the stratosphere. Every powerful/"broken" character can easily be countered by an enemy of similar strength, which is how supers as a whole works.

I'm assuming the "million extra rules" he brings up are the 21 powers you use to build your super, plus the couple-dozen modifiers you can slap on like Area of Effect. I shouldn't have to go in to detail about how this complaint is fucking stupid. If he means something else, I'm stumped as to what he's referring to. It's easier to learn than... any edition of D&D really (with the possible exception of pre-AD&D stuff as I have no experience with those editions) and very straightforward in application.

FATE is not actually rules-light, it's rules-medium but super-narrative and requires a more meta-focused mindset to have fun with. SW really really struggles when people drag it out of its pulpy fisticuffs comfort zone.

Hero System for street level and mid-tier shenanigans. M&M if you want combat to take four times as long as necessary. Seriously, a balanced fight in M&M takes at least fifteen round on average at PL 10. That means ~%50 of fights take much longer.

honestly, it all depends on how much crunch you want. M&M is by no means as crunch light as Fate or Savage Worlds and at this point i'm pretty sure that all three systems have pretty decent online free SRD's.

How is he bullshitting? As someone who's played Savage Worlds Supers I actually like the system. It's good for one-shots or something on th fly, but M&M is better for longer campaigns.

alleged bullshitter here, who knows what that guy even means. he's too busy conducting hour long fight scenes to even rely to you.

>M&M is very modular and is explicitly designed for supers games
>M&M if you want combat to take four times as long as necessary. Seriously, a balanced fight in M&M takes at least fifteen round on average at PL 10. That means ~%50 of fights take much longer.

M&M is plenty flexible for other genres, especially considering there's several supplement books of different settings in 2e that can easily be replicated in 3e. And saying Mutants and Maserminds combat taking 15 hours is like saying the same about 5e just because your GM decided to make a "balanced" high level encounter with literally 100 kuo toa.

I think they was talking about how they were shitting on M&M.

saying that M7M isn't as rules lite as Fate and Savage Worlds is hardly shitting on it.

No, but claiming that it's "essentially D&D with a million extra rules" is 100% bullshit, as is the claim that it's sporting "a lot of problems that are legacy issues for anything based off the D&D model."

Was M&M sticking with D&D's six attributes until 3e a bit weird? Yes. Does it sport the same d20+bonus core mechanic of D&D? Also yes.

However, claiming that the two systems are anywhere near the same is an outright lie; you're either claiming that the systems share much more than they actually do, or you're somehow conflating which shape of dice they use and what they call their primary ability scores with actual legitimate issues the various editions of D&D have had over the years.

Wushu. You build dice pools by describing what happens. So long as your descriptions make sense for your Traits you're good to go.

If you want easy to learn, Savage Worlds or Strike! is the best.

Don't use M&M, the rules are not that easy to learn despite its fans.

The real answer that fits all of your requirements (good system, narrative leeway for OTT action setpieces, easy for newbies) is: POWERS & RESPONSIBILITIES, a Lasers & Feelings hack I am working on right now. I have meh to little graphic design skill so if an user wants to put this together with me in a pic/pdf like Tactical Waifu, that'd be great. Otherwise, the core mechanics like in pic related, except substitute Powers (any heroic activity or application of powers) for Lasers and swap Responsibilities (mundane/real life tasks like chores, ordering pizza, fan club activities, etc) for Feelings. Also, in char creation, choose powers for step 1, and heroice archetype/team role for step 2. Choose character goal for step 3? And players build a Team instead of a ship. But their Leader has disappeared (or took a nap, or absconded with the Russian ballet, or whatever) leaving them to fend for themselves.

Go nuts!

also hit me up if someone does want to put this together as yet another proof that Veeky Forums gets shit done

Worlds in Peril.

Probably not light enough to be "true" rules light, but very light either way. Is also more genre simulation than M&M and SW are, and more focused on superheroics than FATE. Definitely recommend it for new players.

here's the CC version (plain text, no images) for free:

dropbox.com/s/a2v2xm7cpct8znh/Worlds in Peril (CC version).rar?dl=0

Mutants and Masterminds is kind of a Heartbreaker for me. It has this incredible idea where you can custom build superpowers. Really brilliant, but that power creation system is stuck inside this package that does nothing to challenge the underlying assumptions inherent with the system it's so obviously inspired by.

How is Lasers&Feelings? It looks like a lot of fun.

I've tried One Last Job and I really liked how it guided the one shot session by giving it only as many scenes as there are players. Do you find Lasers and Feelings lacks this sort of system?

My group recently started an m&m game with no one having previous experience. No one has had any trouble with understanding the rules or making their characters. It's the best system I've used in terms of making your build exactly what you want

Risus

Lasers&Feelings is hella fun! Well I suppose YMMV, but as a Star Trek fan, I was really into it. I ran a game last month using only the random adventure generator, tried to keep it as improvisational and light (that is, as little techspeak and a little bit more tongue-in-cheek than conventional) as possible to keep the pace brisk yet still maintain substance in each scene (especially since my players inevitably had solo scenes). All in all, what was supposed to be a five-act one shot ended at act 3, but all 3 players allegedly had fun and wanted to play again to continue the adventure. Session lasted nearly 5 hours (including character creation) but that could be partly due to it being my first time GMing, so still working on plot pacing. So yeah, I highly recommend it: as is for most spacefaring/scifi games, but with a little tweaking/some hacking, could be used for almost anything as a rules-light, improv/narrative-heavy system.

Ooh, always wanted to try One Last Job. If L&F had that same fixed scene count mechanic, it would definitely help with pacing, but may or may not make it {more/less} {challenging/fun} for the {GM/players} given the nature of the game's themes. But hey, that would be worth trying out as a tweak.

How'd you/your players find the intertwined character creation mechanic?

Chargen actually went pretty smoothly once they understood they just had to make a name, a specialty, and a drawback (the drawback is completely flavor as far I can tell). I had to mention to them that names had to be kind of unisex till the ladies in the group had volunteered for characters.

It was my first time DMing in many years and I have to say it was a breeze, especially the fact that the only time DM rolls is to contest PC actions. Overall it was very cool and I think it helped my group, who normally plays pathfinder (GM'd by someone else), exercise our improv skills in a way that pathfinder doesn't really mechanically incentivize.

Wild Talents.

Could you elaborate on this please?

Mah nigga.