I'm in the market for a good GMing hat, and would like to know what you fine fellows think on the matter...

I'm in the market for a good GMing hat, and would like to know what you fine fellows think on the matter. I was thinking of going with a fez, as it seems very traditional, but I also have an eye for those wide brimmed wizard's hats as well. Would you recommend anything else I should look for in particular?

You DO have a GMing hat, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7Spcby9M0RY
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Km-ughwK_hg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How short is your hair

Can you wear a skullcap without looking like you're heading to your bar mitzvah

I wear a tricorn but that's beside the point

Just as long as you also have a small vest and periodically bang together cymbals

Unfortunately I have fairly thick hair. I don't keep it overly long, but skullcaps don't fit quite right.

Personally I prefer to wear a large pointed aluminum hat to keep my players from reading my mind.

Best part is that it can be styled any way you want!
Fez, Fedora, Trillby, Stygian, wizards, the possibilities are endless.

>wearing hats indoors
Absolutely degenerate.

>Not having a GMing hat

Look at this pleb and laugh.

Not ensuring that you have an appropriate hat for each different genre...

I prefer a bicorn hat, worn abreast...

Whatever fits the theme of the game. I wore an inquisitors hat for a game of dark herecy once and still do now

I have a fair number.
Sombrero
Pit helmet
Giant velvet mad hatter top hat
Actual top hat
Fedora that I won in a fight
Army helmet
Bowler
Paperboy hat/Irish dirtbag hat
Sometimes I wear as many as I can.

You should get a Tommygun, for when you wear the fedora, You should also get a suit that complements the fedora as well. Get the whole 1920s gangster look.

Don't listen to the Doctor. Fezes are not cool.
If you can grow a beard, get a stetson.

> the core concept of a DMing hat

Everybody knows a proper GM wears a hooded robe, possibly with a mask as well. Playerplebs don't deserve the privilege of gazing upon the GM's illustrious visage and should be honored that he deigns to sit with them.

I would but the pedostached, root beer chugging, dorito dusted NEET I won it off of it only wore cheap plaid ones, so that's what I have.

>In dark robes he enters, the room fills with malic
>A mask that reeks of a more savage and macabre past covering the entirety of his face
>Behind him, faint screams could be heard
>Sitting down the Ikea table the fills the dining hall, the robes flare outwards sending debris and loose papers scattering
>"Tonight," His voice rumbles, crawling across the skin of his terrified players, "We play Mouse Guard."

Also can't forget my horse mask

I don't know why I laughed so hard at
"Fedora I won in a fight"

It's because it sounds like something a neckbeard would say to justify 'ironically' owning a fedora.

I use a costume captain's hat as a prop sometimes.

I wear a top hat when I have to play my alchemist merchant man. Is this bad?

As an aside, tricorns are the fedoras of history.

Literally just buy a felt hat.

youtube.com/watch?v=7Spcby9M0RY

Apologies for lindy but I like this one, sorry.

A fez is a strangely appropriate hat for a DM. A red fez conveys a man with an agenda, and including sunglasses means that agenda is hidden in plain sight, just like a DM's intentions.

Personally, I have a custom made, long tassel jester's hat that I wear with a plain white mask. It unnerves the players and keeps them on their toes when I ask questions with vague notions.

It freaks them out just enough to get them into the game. They're presented with something weird while dealing with their character's plights of dragons, wizards, and gods.

Nope. I don't have a neckbeard.
But seriously, I did win it in a fight. Well, more of a larp-type deal that I may have taken too far.
Mostly because I don't larp, or know the rules of larping, but that's a whole story.

>literally a 4:20 video
>about a moderately inept Englishman
>who spent money on a woman's hat
>because he wanted to tell people all the great semi-historical hat shapes you can make out of it

I don't wear a hat in the house because I wasn't raised by savages.

You've obviously never woken up a friend with heart condition suddenly while wearing a balaclava?

This is Veeky Forums. Any mention of a story to tell mandates an immediate storytime.

Our group was all roommates, except me. It was your classic stoner, a neckbeard who thought it was warcraft on paper, a bf and gf, and her fedora-wearing scumbag of a brother, who may be a pedo, and me.

To set the scene, we are making plans to enter a bandit stronghold, with the primary entrance guarded by 4 dickheads.
Fedora wants to go in hot and heavy, it's the middle of the day, and i, as the cleric, only have one healing spell left.

It's dumb and I tell him such, and suggest we rest and wait until night.

Here's where the fun begins.

>fedora gets pissy about being called out for the umpteenth time, an IC shit talks about my characters lack of faith

>everyone backs me, even Sir Neckbeard the Paladin, although his reasoning is "I'm the tank, we do what I say"

>fedora goes full autist, talking about PvPing me

I assumed he meant IC, I was down with it

>"care to make a bet?" Says fedora, "if I win, you buy the chips and pizza every session"

>I agree to it, but if I win, he has to buy the bud for every session.

I was going to leave it at that, but the smug pedo-stasched manlet pushed me too far.

>"and your fedora." Everyones eyes widen, and that sniveling little shit pulled it down tighter on his greasy head.

>everyone stands up and walks outside.

I assumed it was a smoke break, before the action, but I was wrong.

>I forgot they're huge LARP fags... the back yard is littered with homemade foam and pvc weapons

>fedora picks up a foam Saber and starts flailing around like a child with a stick

Now, fedora is about 5' 4" and maybe a 120 soaking wet, I'm 6' 2" and 190 (I unload 52' trailers, so a good amount is muscle), so I'll give him points for being fearless. My neighbor growing up was all about HEMA and renaissance fairs, so I learned a good bit from him. Not enough to compete with someone who knew what they were doing, but enough to show fedora what's good.

>pick up a length of pipe, about 8ft long, padded on either end, one end looks like a spearhead, and is more padded. Swing it to test weight, light as a feather.

Fedora starts shit talking again
>we do this everyday, don't feel bad if you lose fast

This man has made Le Chateau Autist his permanent residence I see

HERE WE GO

>begin by swinging low, making him jump, but when he comes down he loses his balance on the uneven ground, and almost falls in dog shit

>grab his shirt to stop him

>he tries to swing at me

>"okay fuck'em" and let him fall with a satisfying squelch

>he gets up, red in the face yelling "why did you let me fall?" And comes running at me

>I side step him, and when he turns to charge again, I trip him with the "butt" of the pipe.

At this point he looks like he's about to drop the sword, and it goes on like this for another few minutes.

Then I notice it, a glimmer at the corner of his eye.
He's fucking close to crying.

He comes running at me one last time, and I grab his wrist and sort of place my foot to the inside of his leading foot and sweep it out from under him while pulling his wrist around in a wide circle.

Accept no substitutes.

>huge popping noise when I pulled on his arm, seriously thought I ripped it out of socket, everyone looked horrified a human body could make that noise

>he lands in another doggy landmine, because these dirty fucks don't clean the yard, and he lands HARD, huge thud and shit spray.

>poke him in the back with the pipe lightly, as his roommates watch with equal parts mirth and awkwardness at the silently crying pile of autism in the yard

He sat there for a few minutes like a kid in the mud, which made me feel a little bit shitty, but then he took it like a man and offered up his fedora.

>Everyone cheered, we had a few beers, and, begrudgingly, we shook hands.

The session ended after that, since his sister made him go take a shower. He went to sit on the couch in his shit clothes and everyone freaked out.
Next time we played he just watched, didn't join for some reason.

I seriously considered burning in front of him.

On the one hand, talk shit get hit. On the other hand... Jesus, user.

Ehhh... if you look at the other aspects of his life, you'd say he earned it.
>28
>constantly stole from his parents
>flirted with 15 year olds, while fully aware of their age
>stole other people's pot
>never looked for a job so he just lived off his sister and parents

And I know this isn't really a defence but I grew up doing a lot of fighting, and took some martial arts as a kid, so I just kind of reacted.

On the plus side, you probably cured him of fedoras. On the other hand, you broke him down and didn't use it as an opportunity to guide him building back up with greater importance on self-reflection and not being a tard.
but maybe that's overreaching. I don't know the full situation.

>Flirted with 15 year olds at 28, while fully aware of their age
Fuck, I thought 17 year olds flirting with 15 year olds was weird. In that case, good on you.

There's no fixing him
See

I occasionally look at the registry just to see if he's on there

Mickey Mouse wizard hat
Alternatively, wear a cloak with a hood

It's all about the Pinochet Hat.

Eastern orthodox?

Balling on a budget?
Go with a shower cap.

Don't mind looking racist?
Go with a pillowcase.

Really really drunk?
Lampshades are good for any occasion.

We have everything you'll ever need to put on your head down at the Impromptu Millinery Emporium!

This is the correct answer. Hooded Robe.

>Fedora that I won in a fight
storytime?

He already did, read the thread, fag.

>Immunity to fear effects

Good choice, OP, the fez is an excellent GMing hat. Light and small, yet very distinct. Says a lot about you and the game you play, and i like that.

And i used to be like this too, with a nice, light all round hat, but fortunately i am running more then one game now, so i took the plunge and invested in a nice and heavy felt wizards hat for the D&D game i am DMing (I am even working on a bronze mask, but that's another story) and a cool LED-lit hat for Shadowrun.

In our group, when we play more rules light games, we are also less strict with the hats. In our semi-regular one-shots the GMs have worn everything from great top hats to winding a scarf all around their head, but more often than not its just a simple baseball cap, which i find a bit low effort desu .

>not going for the eastern mystic look

I rock a boina, tho it`s a cheap, argentinian wageslave made one

>"Tonight," His voice rumbles, crawling across the skin of his terrified players, "We play Mouse Guard."
This sounds like a DM who doesn't hate himself or his players, please fix it.

>You DO have a GMing hat, right?
No, because we play indoors anyway.

Appropriate for someone whose role is to control the world.

It's cursed.

Any campaign will always end after first session

Rather than appropriating a hat from somehere else.

Why dont we invent a GMing hat?

>pit helmet

The word you are looking for is pith, you ignorant savage.

Maybe his hat really is made out of and styled like a pit, user.

Heh

Or he made a typo

>tricorn
I have no doubt in my heart; you're an elegan/tg/entleman!

>You DO have a GMing hat, right?
I usually wear a sixpence, but we're doing Shadorwun, so these days I just spend some time making some improvised spikes out of my hair instead.

So it's a trilby?

Hi, /SoS/

I usually wear a shitty dollar store wizard hat with stars and moons on it, but sometimes I swap it out for a Cat in the Hat hat or pic related.

Yes, sorry, not a big hat guy.

I've got a big steampunk top hat, but I really need better Gaming hats.

What makes it a steampunk top hat as opposed to a normal top hat? Did you hot glue plastic gears to it?

Cage of Mensis, perhaps a bit shorter.

keep it classy, OP

How can this even be a question?

He seems super stressed out in this video. As if someone was threatening him to make a video.

You misspelled taller.

>tricorn

Haman detected. Go back to /pol/

Russian military hat (officer's type, not ushanka).

a fez is definitely the way to go. pick up a deluxe vintage shriner fez from ebay

Don't forget the minicar if you're going full shriner

blocks the Hollywood elite too! That way J'J'abrams can't steal your campaign ideas and make millions off them.

>Not wearing a MAGA hat.
>2017
>ISHTYGDDT

inb4 some cunt says hes not American, I'm a NZ'er and still have the hat. Why don't you?

>Aluminum
It needs to be tin. The whole reason aluminum foil has replaced tin in the stores is to fool idiots like you.

Also, if you wear it openly it's obvious, and that arouses suspicion. Better to use it to line another hat.

Mein lady

Do you watch Ephemeral Rift by any chance?

Not that guy, but you are not alone.

No. Television is a tool designed to control your temperament.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Km-ughwK_hg

>As an aside, tricorns are the fedoras of history.
Originally worn by women, and later co-opted as a fashion for men?

>perhaps a bit shorter

I guess, if you want your players to leave.

Do you not want to be taken seriously or something? You can't go shorter.

>no brooches

I don't have a hat, but I do have a collection of glass bottles filled with koolaid.
or I would if I had a group ;_;

I like the classics. Can't get more classic than a pointy witch hat.

>that piddly little turban
get a load of this poseur

The hat was inside you all along, Anons.