THE MOOSE IS LOOSE Edition

THE MOOSE IS LOOSE Edition

>Old thread:

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Topic
You have a friend who has never played magic before and would like to get into commander. What deck do you build them? What deck do you play against them?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/a-maelstrom-enters-the-battlefield/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/slobads-time-to-shine/
deckstats.net/decks/40058/639885-ruff-riders/en
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/d-a-r-k-f-a-n-t-a-s-y/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ghave-guru-of-value-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-a-m-t-h-e-l-a-w/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I've seen someone stand on one

Pretty solid for a sub 150 maelstrom deck

Redoing my post from the end of last thread because I messed it up

What does /edh/ think of my budget Maelstrom Wanderer brew? Thinking of building this next and wanted everyone's thoughts on it. Is it lacking in any particular area?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/a-maelstrom-enters-the-battlefield/

Thanks. Any upgrades I should keep in mind going forward?

Wildfire, Burning of Xinye and Jokulhaups are great cascades if your playgroup won't hate you out.

Reposting, asking for opinions on my Slobad v1 list! No mycosynth, no boom/bust, nothing too fancy.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/slobads-time-to-shine/

>What deck do you build them? What deck do you play against them?
I'd likely just advise them to get a pre-con under the context of them being pretty alright on their own. I'd then face them with a deck that's got some jankey shit to show off that things like that are possible if they're willing to look more into specific singles, rules, and so on as they get more into it.

Also, figure I might as well ask again since I got to the last thread rather late for opinions on this deck I just ordered and made half to win, half for shits and giggles:
deckstats.net/decks/40058/639885-ruff-riders/en

Someone suggested I get Sram, which sounded like a great idea to me.

I've had a lot of fun with Furnace Celebration in Slobad, not sure if it's actually good or not though. Scrapyard Salvo randomly domes people for 20+ damage pretty easily.

Post'em

If you ran more creatures, maybe lurking predators?

I've always been a fan of mystic remora,and try to find a place for it everywhere. Obv rhystic study too, if you're willing to part with the 7 bucks

you forgot the title you donut

Thank you for the suggestions! Salvo seems pretty funny

post decks with your favorite cards!

Gordon ramsay???

What decks do you play?

I'm still soliciting feedback on my Gonti list. I've changed 10 or so slots since my last post.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/d-a-r-k-f-a-n-t-a-s-y/

Maybeboard = acquireboard

There are two kinds of people. ..

The ones that prefer the old nicol bolas art ,

And

degenerates

Any spicy tech with Sigarda voltron?

You forgot the title, but you also posted a card that would be useful in one of my pauper decks. So I dislike you, but you're not all bad.

I'm that budget user who types out giant paragraphs about nothing, and Maelstrom was one of the best decks I've ever built.

How do you plan on winning and what is it you want to do? The most obvious criticism is that your average CMC is bonkers, which will lead to a lot of dead draws. Playtesting it, I got a working hand 1/7 times, which may just be bad luck, but is generally not a good sign. You also have very few cards that will draw anything, which causes major problems if you don't get magical christmasland hands. 28 things 5 cmc or greater is far too many.

Your ramp package looks perfectly serviceable and Maelstrom is excellent with top deck manipulation should you want to include it. Some of your big things like Woodland Bellower, Ulvenwald Hydra and Greenwarden of Murasa don't really do anything with your deck, and could be swapped out.

Overall, you didn't do too bad for a budget deck. I'd suggest picking a theme and sticking to it. The cascade stuff in the deck is cute, but generally underwhelming, unless you're putting spicy things on top of your deck. Run Sage Owl, Cached Dreams, Brutalizer Exarch, Mwonvuli Beast Tracker, and Worldly Tutor for extra spice. I personally like Beserker's Onslaught, and Ulamog's Crusher/Bane of Bala Ged are both cheap and amazing in these sorts of decks. I like Arcanis the Omnipotent for a variety of reasons, and I'd suggest looking into Giant Adephage, Feldon, Kalonian Hydra, Heartless Hidestugu, and Tyrant's Familiar. Stormsurge Kraken is also cute, and try to focus on reducing the CMC of your cards. Pick 10 things that will win you the game, 10 things that will enable your game winners, then just play out whatever value you get. Maelstrom is excellent if you can control what he cascades into, and he will always net you value when you cast him, so you don't have to worry about getting too fancy.

You're already running grave titan and soon the deathmantle, you should consider ashnod's altar and phyrexian altar. Ashnods lets you go infinite with Grave Titan. With phyrexian you can go infinite if you have panharmonicon on field, alternatively if you happen to have both altars on board you can get the infinite colorless, then just use it into the deathmantle after saccing for black mana (so infinite of both).

You could also try some other ways to get infinite mana, Magus of the Coffers can combo with Sword of the Paruns or Umbral Mantle at 6 swamps, Staff of domination at 7.

Deserted Temple, Cabal Coffers, and Rings of Brighthearth goes infinite at 6 swamps, but that could include temple and cabal if you get lucky with urborg in play too for faster infinite.

I'd throw them in mostly because once you have infinite mana you can use a sac outlet to continually cast Gonti from command zone to "mill" each opponents library and cast all their spells to win.

--
As a last note, I'm of the opinion no monoblack is complete without copies of Withering Boon, Imp's Mischief, and Shred Memory. In a creature meta throw in a Darkness. In a combo meta or if you're trying to combo yourself then throw in a Nightcreep (eats a counterspell early or they have no U mana to cast counters besides force/pact)

Thank you so very much! It's rare you get such detailed and informative information on /edh/ so I greatly appreciate it. Will definitely tone done the cmc on my curve as well as add in what you suggested. If there are any other suggestions you have for stuff I should remove or things in general (especially interested to hear what your particular game winning cards are) I would love to hear them.

Forgot to mention, Rings of Brighthearth in general isn't bad if you throw the black fetchlands in, and goes well with your planeswalkers, current sac outlets, and a couple other minor things.

One final comment (for real this time): Cut Temple of the False God and Myriad Landscape. you run some other lands I think are bad but nothing worth bringing up besides those two. Replace with basic swamps or Deserted Temple like I mentioned earlier and then either basics or if you want spice add in Thespian's Stage and Vesuva to get extra cabal coffers

np bro

template

well I wouldn't make them start with commander but with those 30 card sample decks first.
then, for them, either kalemne, freyalise, ezuri, ob nixilis or nahiri precon, and for me the ob nixilis precon.
the precons are pretty great for playing against each other, and the ones i pointed out should be the easiest for a new player to grasp. i like to play black against new players to show them that life is a resource, because y'all know how protective they are of it at first.

>Thread Topic
>You have a friend who has never played magic before and would like to get into commander. What deck do you build them? What deck do you play against them?

I do the whole "what colors represent you? " speel before anything, just to get the newbie excited, then once he/she has a color or two down (I usually recommend starting >3 colors) we go through the legendary creatures for that color combination/color. If it's a single color, I'll pull out about 10-15 different choices that all play pretty simple and are a relatively easy build. The most important thing for new players is simplicity. The player would choose one and I'd help build the list.

As far as what I'd play against the deck for the players first game or two: thassa ocean themed. It's purposely weak, and shows some basic (and a few not-so-basic) concepts without getting too complicated.

After he/she beats the "thassa tutorial " deck, I'd show the 15 or so decks I have and ask what he/she would like to play against. Obviously warning about any decks that are "tuned" or significantly more powerful etc etc.

I love teaching edh, and magic in general. So far I've gotten approximatelyyy 15 people into edh over the 5 years I've been playing (and that's not even counting the people those people taught! )

>and that's not even counting the people those people taught!

>local EDH group at college
>meta is control/combo, everyone splashes or mainly plays blue
>im a new player, the only aggro player running red/white
>get pooped on all the time and am consistently the worst player because all I like to do is swing out and get countered, or blocked from attacking
>
>continues for 4 months and gets to the point where they joke about me scooping once my commander is knocked off

>learn more about the game
>find out that land destruction is a thing

>go to group with pic related
>get mana base with artifacts
>play MLD cards
>play pic related with boots
>start pumping out creatures with haste
>slowly deal 21 to everyone with double strike

>get hated out of the match so quickly next game
>"Land destruction is a dirty way to play" talk
>yet its the only way to safely play aggro

So why is land destruction so hated on?

Trying to decide on three deck archetypes:

> Artifact Spam w/ Breya (Play many artifacts, either win with Hellkite Tyrant or stick Dragon Throne of Tarkir onto Darksteel Juggernaut / Master of Etherium / creature with Cranal Plating and beat face with errybody.)

> Thief deck, trying with Mimeoplasm (Play a deck playing another player's deck. Think Clones, Reanimates and Spelltwine.)

> Burn, trying with Queen Marchesa to no avail. (Small but steady damage to all opponents each turn, control board to avoid taking too much damage yourself.)

Yeah, that's pretty accurate!

There's no feeling like watching your little brother teach his friends how to play edh after you teach him how to play edh, then joining his playgroup 3 years later because it outlived your original group

No problem user. I'm just happy someone actually read my lengthy advice, and I like to help.

Now, I ran the deck with an emphasis on top deck manipulation and value. You want to ramp as hard as you can, then cast maelstrom as soon as possible. Every time you cast Maelstrom is value because it puts 2 additional cards on the field, so use that to your advantage. Sage Owl, Ponder, Preordain, Brainstorm, Cached Dreams, Brutalizer Exarch, Worldly Tutor and Mwonvuli Beast Tracker will all put things on top of your library, so the idea is to dump something good on top right before you pop maelstrom and double down on value with the cascade trigger.

In general, the creatures I listed were all game winners, and Kalonian Hydra is a personal favorite card of mine that needs to be answered right away, or you'll easily run away with the game. Heartless Hidestugu is pretty dickish, but undeniably effective, particularly if you have an established boardstate. Since Maelstrom doesn't have trample, Brawn is an excellent card, particularly with some of the more niche fatties, because he gives everything trample in the yard, and pairing it with Beserker's Onslaught, you can completely melt unprepared opponent's surprisingly early. Hamletback Goliath is actually really good in these kind of decks if you can get him out before the cascade trigger, though he is a dead draw most of the time. In general, you want to win through tempo. The idea is to play faster than your opponent, and provide more problems than they have solutions. Feldon of the Third Path is particularly spicy in this regard, because he lets you reanimate things that you play naturally, and they have to use their graveyard hate to stop him. An early Giant Adephage reanimated by Feldon will end a game quickly, as will an early Arcanis reanimated by Feldon.

(cont.)

>So why is land destruction so hated on?
because bads want to play battlecruiser magic with nothing but ramping and big creatures/spells that cost 8+ mana to cast and fuck you for playing to R/W's niche

As a stax/hatebears player I know your pain, people want to cast their big 7 mana spells and we are stopping them.

Now, for some non-budget recommendations, Sensei's Divining Top is a must-include for Maelstrom. I know it's like $20, but it's worth it to set up the insane cascade triggers. Xenagos is also particularly good in this deck because it allows you to create a massive threat, while also being an indestructible creature once you get enough devotion. Like I've been saying, try to build your deck around running very fast, at the cost of having a weak early game. If you make your opponents waste their removal on something before t6, you're in good shape because that means they'll have less answers later on.

Now, as for things I don't like in your deck, I did notice you updated your list, and took out a few things I didn't like. I'm not a fan of Mind's Dilatation, Urban Evolution, Zendikar's Resurgence, or Lurking Predators. They're all a little winmore because they aren't quite cost effective, and Elvish Piper is a thing. I much prefer your updated list, but try to cut some of the bigger things. Pathbreaker Ibex is awesome, particularly with overwhelming stampede, but if that`s the way you want to go, you might not have room for Part the Waterveil, Temporal Mastery, or Jolukampus, all of which seem a little misplaced in this sort of deck. If you want extra turns, you should run things that get those cards onto the battlefield. A well timed double strike will be just as effective, and your opponent needs to block a full boardstate after popping Maelstrom. I also like Urabrask in these decks because he`s the perfect tempo card, both slowing your opponent and speeding you up, but that`s just me.

I know this sounds silly, but run Exotic Orchard. Helps activate non-black abilities if the situation calls for it.

Picked up a Phyrexian Arena, Burgeoning, Juniper Order Ranger and BoP after finishing drafting my Conspiracy box, what edits should I make to include them, if at all? Deck list: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ghave-guru-of-value-1/

You're doing God's work.

Because it's """""feelbad"""""" to stop your opponent from playing the game.

You're doing nothing wrong user. Being the last player in the game means you win, regardless of how you get to that point. Try building stax next.

anyone who says LD or stax is a "dirty" way to play was coddled in a scrub meta and should be promptly ignored

Amen

>Breya
A mate of mine is doing this. No infinite combos. So far it has yet to win a game despite displaying Breya's top-notch utility to her fullest. I'd recommend putting in a combo in there anyway to make it a "Plan B" or "C" if you so desire. You need to fall back if turning cards sideways doesnt work.

>Mimeoplasm
Tried it. I felt that the inclusion of Green is just there for the ramp. You do get to play Leovold if yoi have one, but I personally find Mimeoplasm better as a Reanimator/Combo general first, Stealstuff second.
>Queen Marchesa
You can technically play Queen Bitch as burn ala Reflect Damage type spells. Thats what I do with mine, anyway. Pillowfort, midrange stuff here and there, and use stuff like Phthisis, Rakdos Charm, Comeuppence, Netherborn Phalanx, etc to put everything back at the other guy. Excluding stopping a Krenko going infinite, my highest damage record was a 30 life loss from someone controlling a Worldspine Wurm.

But yeah, for you I'd say Breya. I don't personally play her but seeing her be played across from me I can assume she is good fun. Queen Marchesa is also not bad either

Thanks once again, Just have one question.
>Mind's Dilatation, Urban Evolution, Zendikar's Resurgence, or Lurking Predators
I can understand Mind's Dilation and possibly Urban Evolution, but why Zendikar's Resurgence? It gives mana ramp that is needed to cast Wanderer.

>I can understand Mind's Dilation and possibly Urban Evolution, but why Zendikar's Resurgence? It gives mana ramp that is needed to cast Wanderer.
Tempo. You're never going to cast Zendikar's Resurgent with 4 mana out so you can cast Maelstrom the next turn. While it has a powerful effect both in terms of mana production and card draw, the mana cost makes it kind of redundant, and I personally prefer cantrips. At 7 mana, realistically you're casting Maelstrom the next turn, or something ridiculous from your hand. While more mana is usually better, 14 mana is not going to make a heck of a lot of difference since you're getting two cards for free from Maelstrom. If you had good things in your hand, you probably already played them with the 6 mana you have available in the previous turns.

But that's just me. When I run ramp I prioritize things that put lands onto the battlefield, or generate multiple mana on a good ratio. This is the same reason I don't really like urban evolution. Drawing three is harmonize, and that's 2GG, or concentrate, and that's 2UU. Playing an additional land is really niche, particularly at 5 cmc when an explosive vegetation or harrow would do a little better. But really, I'm just nitpicking to try and reduce your CMC.

I also have a breya deck with no infinite combos.

If you want to win, add cards like Scrap Mastery, Open the Vaults or Roar of Reclamation usually does the trick.

I see. Thank you for the explanation. As I try to fill the remaining five slots in the deck now, should I focus more so on creatures or spells? And which ones would you prefer that are missing from the deck?

I'd focus on removal. You have nothing to answer threats.

Personally, I'd throw in Daze, Beast Within, Whipflare, Disdainful Stroke, and maybe Song of the Dryads? I guess that's a pretty versatile removal package, but you're still going to have issues in that department.

Now, I'd love to see Triumph of the Horde, Xenagos, Sensei's Divining Top, Overwhelming Stampede, and Garruk Wildspeaker, but that might make you a little too fragile, and I know most of those things are pretty expensive.

Oh, almost forgot.

If you want to build it on a budget, I'd suggest Pongify, Nevryinhal's Disk, Tribute to the Wild, Disdainful Stroke, and Lingify, though if you mix and match the two removal lists, you should have a pretty solid list of answers.

Why do point based leagues exist?
Some people play slow and get salty if they don't have the sustain to make a slow deck work.

My biggest pet peeve with MLD try-hards are the ones who play it just for shit and giggles without some gameplan. The kind who end up getting the whole table in topdeck durdle mode.

And among these kind of players, these sadly are the majority.

That's the point of stacks though, you get ahead early with some creatures or whatever, and then you lock up the game with tanglewire, MLD, Torpor Orb, Smokestack etc, using your small advantage gained very early in the game to win

I want to play a monoblack deck but can't decide on a general. I've narrowed it down to these guys, but even still I'm on the fence of either going control or animator.

gonti seems like the most fun

The people who play MLD for shits and giggles are a cancer to be sure. Granted, they can play it however they want, but they shouldn't bitch when they get BTFO in the following games.

But the MLD players who hose the idiots who ramp without regard for backup are still doing God's work. Someone has to teach those UGx shitters a lesson.

>not running a commander as your commander
shiggy diggy do, where are you?

Does anyone have a unique enchantment theme for zur? Other than just goodstuff or stax?

Speaking as a player who has used most of those Commanders at any one point, I can tell you how good they are.

Anowon is to slow and there are better vampire Commanders if you wanna do tribal, Balthor is good only if you constantly dumpster on other people's graveyard if they're in monoblack, otherwise if they're running other colors, just do your own thing. Expect your graveyard to be hammered ALOT. Geth is awesome, fill the deck with lots of removal and mana doublers/boosters and have a fun time. Actually never tried Gonti, though he looks fun. If you want non-budget secret tech with him, try Tawnos's Coffin. Kalitas was my last Commander and he is awesome. Prevents other Reanimator decks from working, provides bodies for various effects, can effectively make himself bigger and gives life to top it all off. Going stax with cards that play off his abilities like Contamination and Magus of the Abyss is pretty dank. Maralen is just bad, don't even touch her. Everyone will either pull their combo pieces off and win before you or grab removal to make sure no one else does. Sheoldred is fun, a bit pricey manawise but able to be both a good beats Commander as well as a decent Reanimator one. Skithiryx is the spikiest choice out of all of them. As much fast mana and mana doublers as possible, all the spot removal and board wipes as you can, allthe good equipment you can stuff in there, various other cards for taste and done. Extremely effective.

Not him but i was looking at building sheoldred as a reanimator deck, what would you say are some must haves for her and also is the only way to stop graveyard hate packing anti artifact and enchantment cards or is there a way to play around it?

Hey, cool that you know your shit around mono black. I feel like building a mono black deck too, because there's so many cool cards like Mutilate that reward that, but all the mono black decks I've seen run almost all the same cards. Is there any black commander that sticks out and lets you go in a different direction that most? (this is true for most mono colors, i feel, but it seems most true with black)
I used to have Chainer with all the best etb effects, mana doublers, sac outlets and tutors, and i found myself always tutoring up the same 2-3 cards to win which got boring quickly. But i really wanna play black, man.

Kalitas stax

do it

i've been on a monoblack commander finding journey myself. i settled on a 99 (or like a 90, the last 9 cards would switch around a bit) pretty early on, then just tried to find a commander

i've gone through:

>endrek sahr, felt too weak, felt pigeonholed to playing stax, don't like stax
>kokusho, felt too strong for my group, kind of repetitive, uninteractive and bpring at times
>erebos, felt okay, just kind of meh for my 99, could be good for a non-reanimator type "cast mana doublers and big spells" kind of monoblack
>sheoldred, felt meh, too slow, too mana intensive. i felt like i usually wanted to revive tons of shit on the same turn and then quickly sac the same stuff for grave pact effects and stuff, sheoldred didn't cater to that
>liliana, felt okay, i just didn't want to build for the discard theme so abandoned it
>gonti is very fun and useful at times, but i felt like it wasn't strong enough as a wincon that my deck ended up durdling a lot of time. my 99 doesn't have enough blowouts that i could reliably be relevant with gonti
>balthor the defiled, was surprisingly powerful, although pretty gimmicky. works best when you mill in a table with no other black/red players. but usually, even if you revive someone else's stuff it doesn't usually matter that much since you're playing monoblack and can kill shit with ease. abandoned it to build a similar deck in dimir
>geth, didn't feel like it was worth the mana-cost and the build-around. chainer seemed outright better when tested in geth's 99

that basically has lead me to building my 99 to basically work with 3 commanders

>chainer for reanimating tons of shit for cheap, mainly opposing creatures
>yahenni for a weird creature-hate-pseudo-voltron thing. feels kind of janky still, maybe needs optimization or maybe it's just bad
>gonti for games where i want to just goof around

hope u enjoyed my blog guys

also maralen is shit dont build her

having done a ton of monoblack shit, here's the ones that come to mind for me:

>balthor mill, just mill yourself a TON as fast as possible and then pop balthor. it's like a twilight's call in the command zone, except it's somewhat asymmetrical. probably not that great in black-heavy metas since you'd have to GY hate others a lot, or just rely on ETBs, grave pact effects and board wipes to even the score after reanimating

>Erebos/Toshiro spellslinger, basically just build for tons of mana and huge big spells. cast corrupt, cast exsanguinate for 25, etc. erebos is good because he gives you draw in the command zone, letting you cycle through your deck with ease, and toshiro lets you get extra value out of instants. erebos seems outright better for this build.

there's also these fun gimmicky ones like "target all creatures" horobi but that's not really special enough to warrant a hugely different 99, it'd just be a normal monoblack 99 but with some commander synergy sprinkled in

A few must-haves for Sheoldred would include Gray Merchant, Reaper from the Abyss, Sidisi, Harvester of Souls, Xiahou Dun, Sangromancer, and Obliterator. There isn't too many ways to bust artifacts and enchantments in monoblack unless you grab colorless options and/or Gate to Phyrexia but Witchbane Orb and Orbs of Warding help save your graveyard from being fucked by the likes of Tormod's Crypt and Bojuka Bog.

Gonti, nuKalitas and Toshiro Umezawa the most unique, in particular Toshiro. Monoblack storm is hilarious and even if you go value instants, he's a blast. Null Profusion is best card.

Wouldn't this be the best way to build a scarecrow "tribal" with Reaper King?

>9-13 of the most low CMC scarecrows
>9-17 good ways to flicker them or abuse their ETBs a lot from every color, deadeye navigator, conjurer's closet, brago, panharmonicon, rite of replication, etc.
>maybe a bit of reanimation too, why not
>fill rest with the typical draw/ramp/goodstuff package

i see edhrec people putting fucking 7 mana scarecrows into their decks, but that seems retarded to me when you can just run the really cheap ones and then abuse their etbs

ok for some reason i forgot about changelings existing. not sure if it's worth doing a flicker theme if you can run all the shitty 1-3 drop changelings. still, seems like it would be worth it to run at least something mass flickery alongside it, like brago or maybe even something like cauldron of souls with a sac outlet

The best way to build tribal scarecrows? See pic related.

However if you truly want to try it properly, there aren't many Scarecrows worth the effort. It's a very unsupported tribe. In the recent sets you have Geist-Fueled Scarecrow, Wild-Field Scarecrow and Metallic Mimic; apart from that there isn't much else.

What if someone kills your commander constantly and you can't cast it for some reason. What do you do then?

Strands of night andcloudstone curio will give you more redundancy for abusing all those sweet ETBs.

Because it can completely hose people. My group is pretty OK with it, I think because I introduced it early with my first non-shit deck made of actual good cards and not pack fodder

Ah thats cool, so her basic includes are going to be reanimater creatures and spells, big black mana ramp, big guys to reanimate+creatures that effect the board, sac outlets, and i'd like to have a bunch of taxing effects like contamination and smokestax is that something that works in mono black or should i avoid it?

what are the commander you absolutely hate? the one that makes you groan when you see it across the table because you know the game is about to suck

for me its meren

Memnarch. By far my worst MU

>Because it completey hoses scrubs
FTFY

This.
If a single card gets you the win every game, the others deserve to lose anyway.

I didn't want to say scrubs because I'm nice like that but it's true. First time I played the deck with MLD, my group got completely blown out because of a lack of mana rocks

Teferi.
Mainly because that guy runs it, and the majority of my LGS seeing proactive plays as a bad thing, despite knowing letting him set up is stupid.
"Why are you attacking me? I've done nothing"
"That's precisely the point"
So more often than not, I choose to become the martyr in order to avoid waiting around for an hour of Stasis before a group concession.

Nekusar

>and then i wheel
>and then i wheel
>and then i wheel
>and then i wheel

Can anyone take a look at my Kami of the crescent moon stasis deck? See if I'm missing important cards, and if a deck like this can even work.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-a-m-t-h-e-l-a-w/

>Meren
I don't feel like this is that bad, if she starts going off with Birthing Pod stuff it can get really bad, but any GY hate really messes her up.
7 mana do nothing that has two easy to remove permanent types really doesn't seem that bad, if you let him start stealing lands though I can see where the problem would be.
I'll give you this one, Nekusar is a huge pain to deal with, though drawing all the cards lets you find a answer pretty quick. Giving him infect leads to really fast kills though.

My least favorite is Maelstrom Wanderer or Atraxa.
>MW
Cascading into MLD is a pain, Food Chain is an absurdly powerful card.
>Atraxa
Planeswalker spam is annoying to deal with, since so many of them have ways to protect themselves from creatures, Doubling Season sucks.
tell me why I'm a scrub for hating the commanders I do

Not him, but what's wrong with temple of the false god?

Zur. It's never not degenerate.

You're missing the most fun guy of the bunch in that list

Some one in the last thread was asking how you can exile something permanently with fiend hunter. Figured I'll explain it here since the other thread is about to 404.
>Fiend Hunter ETBs, trigger of exiling a creature goes on the stack
>Sac him before the trigger resolves, usually with Ashnods
>Death trigger goes on the stack
>death trigger resolves before etb trigger, nothing to return to hand
>etb trigger resolves, exiling a creature.
This only works because he has the two abilities, stuff like Banisher Priest won't work.

Share em

Can you choose shadow if no creatures on the board have it, just to give it to one of your creatures? This seems like good tech.

>THE MOOSE IS LOOSE
God, it's been over a decade since I played Timesplitters.

No you have to steal it from a creature.
>It's a great spicy defense against a lot.
The steal effect is so good in defense and even better when opponents try attack eachother.

No, you can't. This is because the ability wouldn't have a legal target. Just use Dauthi Embrace or something

"If the target which is having the ability removed does not have that ability during the resolution of this effect, then this effect still grants the chosen ability. The reason is that the second target is still legal even if the first one is not."

To be clear this doesn't mean you can target a creature without the abilities. Just if they lose the ability, the effect of splicer is still legal.

But wait, that only says that it still works if something else removes the ability before the splicer ability resolves.

What I wanna know is if you can just use the ability when no creature on the board has the ability you choose.

What do people think of this card? It's pretty much just a worse fog bank/guard gomazoa, but black doesn't get too much pillowfort, so I'm tempted to say that it's prettt good.

You can't, no. A creature needs to have the ability to be a legal target.

When you don't have MLD then ramp decks go wild with no checks or balances. If you can't choke mana then you'll lose to any ramp deck.

For example, a guy I occasionally play with has a Kruphix deck and all it does is ramp, play big Eldrazi, and counterspells. Without any way to stop his mana acceleration the deck will win easily. But if you can stax it out then you should be okay.

It may be "feelbad" but it's a necessity to the format. I've tried dozens of ways of stopping ramp without MLD (stax effects, limiting effects like Gaddock Teeg, etc) and none of them work as well as an Armageddon.

For the record my stax deck is Titania and it often wins by comboing Living Plane with Cursed Totem/Ezuri's Predation.

This. If stax didn't exist, then combo decks and ultra ramp wouldn't really have bad matchups. While some people hate to play against it (I personally love trying to dismantle a stax lock), it's a necessary part of the meta.

Yeah, just like in card Hex, when you cast it, it needs to have 6 separate targets, but if one becomes illegal, such as with gaining Hexproof, other 5 still die to hex.
You need a shadow creature on field for this card to give shadow, you can't steal something if it doesn't exist.

Oh well, still good for flying evasion I guess.

Jhoira

It's never anything but suspending titans then destroying all lands

Well first off, I don't teach them how to play magic with fucking commander

Atraxa. Mainly because she just disappointed me. Like there's no interesting way of building her, it's either +1/+1 counters, stax, or superfriends. Now everyone and their grandmother is playing her and card prices are starting to bump up if they involve counters at all.

Out of my playgroup though, I really don't hate any of their decks, the ones I really dislike are the ones that take a long ass time to do everything and don't even win the game on that turn. I've had friends take like 3+ turns in a row with Time Walks and end up just passing and losing to a boardwipe.

Daxos of Meletis.

Oh look, an unblockable 3 drop that lets you cast things off the top of my library. It`s almost like I have much better cards than you or something.