Daily reminder that WoTC has no idea wtf they are doing, and Emrakul is a perfectly balanced card

Daily reminder that WoTC has no idea wtf they are doing, and Emrakul is a perfectly balanced card.

sure she's godly powerful, but she also costs 13. maybe you can get her down to like 8 or 9 if you set up your graveyard right, but still that is very significant.

only thing making her broken, and what should ACTUALLY have been banned, was Aetherworks Marvel. 4 colorless mana to cast it, and uses only energy(which is easier then ever now to get) to trigger it.

with some basic deck fixing(of which there is plenty) you can basicallty use it to just cast whatever you want, at will, for free. as early as turn 4.

THIS is the source of "turn 4 emrakul". Emrakul herself is totally incidental in the combo, and can be replaced with any other super powerful devastating creature for much the same effect.

this has been proven now, since as we see, all the turn 4 emrakul decks literally just replaced her with Ulamog, and pretty much nothing changed. in some ways it's actually STRONGER.

Tl'DR: Emrakul should not have been banned, Aetherworks Marvel should. Wizards has no idea wtf they are doing

Marvel is fine.
The problem isn't dropping a fattie on turn 4, the problem is dropping a very specific fattie that alone seals the game.
Ulamog doesn't spell "game over" when it lands. If replacing Emrakul with Ulamog made the deck stronger, why the fuck would people ever use Emrakul instead of Ulamog in the first place?
Banning Emrakul was the right decision.

it kinda shows wizards didn't really understand why people hated it.

people hated it because it's unfar as hell for your opponent to be able to summon such a ridiculously powerful creature, of such high cost, literally for free and only a few turns into the game.

MTG's defining mechanic is cost. it's what prevents the game from becoming yugioh, with it's 1200 special summon methods that let you fill up your entire field with high class monsters like 2 turns into a game.

Ulamog absolutely assfucks you if it gets out turn 4, just like Emrakul.

as soon as it lands, you exile 2 permanents. this includes lands.

if you're turn 4, that means you may have just lost half your mana pool, in addition to now having to deal with 10/10 indestructible.

also, if he attacks 3 times, you just lose. you cannot stall him out.

unless you have the cards to deal with him RIGHT there in your hands and ready to use, you're fucked. he's going to eat your deck 20 cards at a time, and you're dead in 3 turns even if he never touches your lp.

and what are the odds of you having exactly what you need to deal with him on turn 4?

you just lost 2 mana, and it's only 4 turns into the game. how many cards are there that can kill Ulamog, that only cost 2 mana?

oh, and hopefully the cards you needed were not in your deck, because, again, he's fucking eating your deck.

Ulamog is DEVASTATING early game, and aetherworks is how he comes out, just like Emrakul.

this, desu.

while I think Emrakul is better overall, Ulamog really just kills your options. if he drops early game you're more then likely just dead.

he drops in, you either lose 2 mana, or any important cards you had on the field.

he attacks(no matter the result of the attack) you just lost 1/3 of your entire deck.

in other words, either you kill him in 3 turns or you can't win. Kill a 10/10 indestructible, using a gimped mana pool, while losing 1/3 of your deck each turn.

Good luck.

Thing is, Ulamog can be answered. Emrakul cannot. That alone makes Ulamog weaker than Emrakul. And if that wasn't enough, Emrakul lets you control your opponent for a turn, which certainly fucks them up more that losing two lands.

Yes, Ulamog is also a pretty strong card but saying the deck got stronger is objectively wrong.

And again, the problem here isn't Marvel itself, it's one insanely pushed creature.

The reason they dropped emmy instead of aetherworks is because they wanted to hit all T1 decks. That means Aetherworks, GB Delirium (both midrange and aggro), BW flash and vehicle aggro (rw/mardu/bw).

If they hit Aetherworks, GB escapes the bans. If they don't hit copter, GB aggro and vehicle aggro escapes the bans. If reflector stays, BW flash escapes the bans.

Thus, if their end goal is to hit all T1 decks, maybe not enough to destroy them but enough to lower their power level, emmy, copter and reflector make sense.

Whether or not the bans were needed is another subject.

reflector ban still doesn't make sense. it was only degenerate when CoCo was legal.
it's an annoying card, but not ban worthy.

Oh, this thread again.

Let me know when we move on from this subject and start discussing something interesting like a Parasitic Eldrazi Commander with Partner.

>I cast Summary Dismissal

Oops.

Obligatory

It was banned because they had to take something from UW, and rather than ban a big piece they went for a smaller one, since UW had fallen off towards the end.

no, it's still Marvel. marvel circumvents the primary balancing mechanic of the game, ie cost.

for the price of 4 colorless mana, and a bunch of energy that is getting INCREASINGLY easy to build up as the block goes on, you can just cast anything. for free. without restriction.

if you don't see how that can be broken, I'm not sure what to say. even outside the turn 4 beatstick drop, it has loads of applications.

cards that bypass cost always end up in some broken ass combo sooner or later. the fact that marvel uses only energy to trigger, and energy is easier then ever to build up quickly, only makes it worse.

oh, good. so either you have the 4 mana with at least 2 blue,. or you just lose. what a nice coinflip.

4 mana, at least 2 blue, and hope to god you have this 1 card in your hand. oh, and that you're playing a blue deck, and thus even have it at all.

yea. this totally balances it out.

>It can be answered by this and only this specific mediocre card which I totally have in hand and all times

Fuck off retard, Emrakul could be also stopped with Dismissal. You're not clever

Not him, but there's also Disallow. 3 mana makes it a little easier to swallow, but it are still a lot of things needing to line up.

>circumvents the primary balancing mechanic of the game, ie cost.
you're basing your entire argument on this incorrect assumption.

in the past, huge creatures either had relevant drawbacks or required maintenance (usually needing to pay mana or sacrifice permanents during your upkeep) especifically so you couldn't cheat them out.

but somewhere along the line WotC forgot about this and decided that a big mana cost was enough to keep creatures in check. guess what happened? people started abusing this and cheating creatures into play.

again, the problem isn't cards that cheat creatures into play, the problem is ridiculous creatures with no drawbacks.

implying that high cost spells aren't also very powerful? because Marvel can cast those too.

literally ANY card. if it specified, like it was just artifacts or something, fine. but it can cast ANY card you pick up from the 6, for free.

there are plenty of high cost non-creatures that can still fuck your opponent's whole day up.

Sure there are powerful non-creature cards to be cast with Marvel, I'm not saying it isn't a strong card, but none of them come close to the power level of Emrakul or Ulamog. Those ridiculous cards are what make Marvel decks win the game, not simply the fact that it can cast anything.

and yet, marvel is the lynchpin that makes the whole thing work. Not Emrakul, Not Ulamog.

I'd also not be shocked if we see even more OP combos involving this card as the block rolls on. energy is getting easier to generate, and there is no shortage of extremely powerful cards coming down the pipe that would just love this card.

I guarantee you, we will see this card used again before it cycles out, for some OP ass combo or another that doesn't even involve eldrazi.

>marvel is the lynchpin that makes the marvel deck work
What an insightful observation.
Emrakul and Ulamog can be played in other decks. Emrakul wasn't banned solely because of Marvel decks, although that deck was the biggest offender.
As this user pointed out, had Marvel been banned instead of Emrakul other decks that use Emrakul would still be wrecking face with the card and dominate the format.
Emrakul isn't OP because of Marvel, Marvel is OP because of Emrakul.
>b-but you can cast other cards!
Yeah, and how many of them win the game on the spot besides Emrakul (and arguably Ulamog)?

>I guarantee you, we will see this card used again before it cycles out, for some OP ass combo or another that doesn't even involve eldrazi.
Sure, they just have to print other OP finishers to go along with it. You know, cards that are so strong that it's desirable to cheat -them- into play.

>but somewhere along the line WotC forgot about this and decided that a big mana cost was enough to keep creatures in check. guess what happened? people started abusing this and cheating creatures into play.
The thing was though, nobody played big creatures before outside of casual. How many times has Skyshroud Behemoth appeared in a pro decklist?

I personally agree with you, but wizards didn't like the fact that delirium had a tutorable "I win card" for the late game.
I'm just happy that I built emerge instead so I'm not hurt too badly.