Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums

I've recently been throwing around the idea of having a game that involved the party starting up their own private company for arms dealing and mercenary work. Think in the vein of the irl group Blackwater/Academi, the video games Jagged Alliance and Army of Two, and the animes Jormungand and Black Lagoon.

The goal was to run it somewhere in the 1980-2020 time frame with the players struggling to make ends meet but eventually ending up as major players on a continental or even global stage. I'm looking for a system that is grounded in reality but capable of some cinematic flare. It also needs to have rules for both squad level and large scale combat.

Other urls found in this thread:

danbooru.donmai.us/pools/5723
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sounds like any generic system would work, but try Savage Worlds, particularly since it was designed to incorporate large scale combat.

Koko met Revy (and made a deal with her). It's canon.

Gurps should work it can handle large scale combat and can let you mix cinematic gun combat with real stuff if needed.

Is this a online game because I really would like to play that as a jagged alliance fan

Merc 2000 with some fluff changes?

Online most likely but I have the majority of a group already (I'm the forever GM) but I don't know how many would actually want to play this sort of game. Though the problem is that I'm already locked into a running a 5e game to intro some people into RPGs.
But if you want to drop contact info like skype or discord I'll add you.

Thanks, I'll make a note and look into getting the books, though I've got no experience with the system at all.

Ok heres my discord\

Tsukamoto

Shadowrun CAN work for this, but its not ideal. You can abstract a lot of the network bullshit and focus on the PCs.

GURPS might be the best option for this, ironically enough.

Try Merc or Recon

>koko met revy

Where. When. What episode of what anime. What page of the manga.

'Asian Sea Merchants' was a 6 page mini chapter that appeared in the Black Lagoon art book 'Black Lagoon: The Book of Venom' and was a crossover of Jormungand and Black Lagoon since both ran in Sunday GX.

It's also the story that shows that Jormungand takes place after Black Lagoon since Koko is a loli in it selling stuff to a Black Lagoon age Revy.

danbooru.donmai.us/pools/5723

>video games Jagged Alliance and Army of Two
MGS Peace Walker.
Phantom Pain is in the specified timeframe but we don't talk about that one.

I never owned a PSP so I never got to play Peace Walker sadly.

But I know a few players I have in mind to invite are more then likely going to end up building their own version of Mother Base

I'm currently doing this for a mercenary company RPG set in the near future, hit up Wikipedia for names and descriptions of other Merc groups, local rebels and power players, etc. Let them subcontract their work and deal with the fallout when they decide to trust the violent Islamist militia with VIP extraction. When they kill civilians (and they will), send government forces after them. It's a fun as shit setting as long as you don't make it too serious.

Yeah, that was basically the goal, though I'm trying to figure out which area I'd want them to start operating in.

>bought make-up not ammo and liqour
immersion destroyed
hiroe, update black lagoon you fucker. I need more Chinese female Rock

I know there are people who hate Nick Cage

but I recommend watching Lord of War

I had honestly forgotten about Lord of War, it's been awhile since I've watched it.

gotta love that intro sequence...

Sub-Saharan Africa for my group, I highly recommend it. Lots of warring groups and governments, religious, ethnic, economic, and societal tensions to exploit. Not under as much media scrutiny as the Middle East so you can get away with more there without attracting attention. In fact, if you start reading up on real PMCs you'll see that many of them have long, shady histories in Africa for these very reasons.

I do want them to have to do some penny pinching at the beginning (buying a truck to make a technical, airplane tickets, ammo etc).

If I had to use an analogy I want it to start with them having to buy and count bullets individually ala Dark Heresy and end up being able to just buy an Apache Gunship when they need one ala Rogue Trader.

>captcha: pick all the pickup trucks
>the robots listen

Cold War Africa is fucking great.

Did anyone make a caption of the mother-fucker who played in a Gurps Campaign where he was a soldier of fortune and he saved a little girl from a drug lord or whatever. seems to fit this thread

God, i tried to watch this show after really needing something Black Lagoonish, but it was just pretentious navel-gazing taking up most of the action and the character designs were not even half as likable.

Watch it for musclegirls and /ss/, you won't be disappointed

Not my thing, sadly. I'd rather just watch something with guns and mercs. Or assassins.