Have you ever tried DM'ing an anime based campaign?

Have you ever tried DM'ing an anime based campaign?

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/es6brsz4no38uq8/DBZRPG.txt?dl=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The better question is to ask why try running a anime game when your most likely going to get the worst of the worst when it comes to players.

Yeah, a One Piece one. It was alright but didn't last. More from flaky players jumping to Pathfinder though.

Never DMed one I'm in a Traveller game right now that's anime-themed, with a party made up entirely of cute girls.

No, but I might one day. Although itt definitely wont be this level of weeaboo garbage.

What are the actual, tangible differences in an "anime-based" campaign, other than the way you imagine your dudes look like?

Honest question. My campaigns tend to *feel* more like (the more grounded examples of) oнeмэ than like equivalent Western media, insofar as if I were forced to classify them with one or the other then that's what I would say, but I can't pin down why exactly this is.

I've never done it as a predefined goal or anything but my players are huge weeaboos and I make campaigns so that they'll have fun.

I actually like anime quite a bit, but I don't get the appeal of creating a cute little girl for a player character just for the sake of it. What's the point?

Yes
I slowly lost my will to DM as I realized how much more sickeningly weeb my group was than me
The final session is tomorrow

Depends on what you mean, if by based on an anime I'm currently doing a JoJo campaign with simple rules that apply to everyone. If you mean anime style then there are lots of systems that provide rules for anime style bullshit, but you have to play it lighthearted however you do it. I recomend maid, it's rules light and has a lot of player agency, good for laughs.

Did it once, never again.

>I recomend maid
Does anyone actually play this game? It seemed like a laugh.
Is it relevant on Veeky Forums to any degree? I never see it mentioned.

Friend I've known for like 15 years wanted to run a game with his own system based off of HunterxHunter, wherein one of our party's biggest checklist items was to become hunters.

Played as a young man of caramel complexion named Pepper Jack, who fought with his pimp cane and referred to himself in the third person. Pepper Jack was a "beauty hunter", so to say, wantin' to run a whorephanage as part of his eventual crime syndicate.

Unfortunately, Pepper Jack's ambitions never came to be, as the other two members of his party fucked shit up for him; one became a serial-killing edgelord who would fuck with the DM's plans at every turn, whereas the other party member started building his character solely to kill him. Gave the DM a number of headaches and eventually we just stopped.

But Pepper Jack's still out there, not lovin' them hoes.

One of my guilty desires is that I want to. At the same time I'd feel disgusted with myself if I did. The closest I've gotten was my friend's tokusatsu game where I played a team of characters that were a mash-up of Power Rangers & Clerks. THe players consisted of an angsty teenage Kamen Rider character, my team, and a punk rock Gaiju. It was a lot like One Punch Man in terms of tone.

I think it is boring when the entire party is little girls, but one or two can work well for a fish out of water situation, throw a cute little girl into a harsh unpleasant world. And then you can have a type of guardian character play of that. When the whole party tries to moe they overcrowd the narrative niche.

Would depend on your subgenres and the differences can shrink depending on your style.

I think anime is often more character centric. It delights in archetypes and eschews the more detailed simulation of background characters. Characters and villains depend less on support structures. They are just there and what they are. A guild in western style is an organization the character interacts with, climbs in ranks, works within and calls uppon. In anime style it is more like a badge to show other characters. And a character would never be in a guild because it is logical for the setting. He would be in a guild because he has an archetype dealing with authority.

Powerlevels tend to be higher or at least more ill defined in anime. Powerlevel in relation between characters is more importent then the absolute values.
That is what stuff like teleporting behind you is about. It is less about a character being able to teleport (and implications thereof), it is about a character being that fast in relation to another that it might as well be teleportation (and the drama implication that has).
Anime is basically filtering everything through your character and more precise the theme building blocks of your character.
This is why anime often makes interesting setting backgrounds and (in western view) forgets to use the potential. It gets stuck in the eye of the needle that is the character. And characters are as stock as possible to have an element of clearness. Plot is more concerned with execution than innovation. Basically its drawing the same kanji over and over for perfect style.

This is all my outsider view of course.

I was a mod of a Discord-based tg server that simultaneously had 3 long-running MAID games for the duration of my time there. The playerbase exists, it just might be rightfully tucked away.

Didn't play, but honestly seems alright.

Basically it's up to you to think of that thing on more "playable" terms: more Ranma, less pantsu-directed storytelling.

I've been running a DnD campaign based heavily off Negima, but also pulls aspects of Slayers and Mahou Tsukai no Yomu.

While our whole group is familiar with and dabbles in Anime, I'm really the only one who's super into it.

I find the key is to form the game around core DnD, and sprinkle in the elements of Anime that you want. If you don't make it an Anime based game, it's easier to avoid the players being weebshit.

The hardest part, I find, is converting all the names and descriptions of stuff into equivalents that don't obviously sound like it's from Anime.

There is at least one group of people who played it publicly.

Anime High was the best campaign I ever ran. Had Sailor Moon , Dark Schnieder (from Bastard!), the Guyver, and a guy who was a combo of Kaneda from Akira and the Beastmaster Zoinod from Guyver.

The deal was that all the characters and all the events from the series would occur, but how and when and sometimes who was involved was up to me.

Ran it using Hero System. Before every session we'd throw an episode of something on the tv just to get us in the mood.

The whole damn thing was inspired by one line from Techii Muyo; "If i knew I was gonna die today I wouldn't have done that homework over vacation!"

Characters joined clubs which had benefits, and had to choose from being a Star Pupil, Average Student or Delinquent as backgrounds (each had effects on the campaign.

2 years of batshit insanity, betrayals, plot twists, space pirate girlfriends, Nazi housekeepers, Bow Tai Ninjas, fortune telling coffee, sports tournaments, property damage, and one misinterpretation of what Offensive Strike means.

does pokemon count as anime? If so im in the middle of a grim dark pokemon game right now

Looks exactly like the kind of group that would only play it to spout
>lol lmao look how silly this weeb game is!

Funny thing is, at least 3/5 of them I know actually want anime.

My friend constantly tries this, and we get in at best 3 sessions of a campaign before he switches to another idea. It's fucking hell, because im the kind of player who spends alot of time planning characters and growing attached to them

>Mahou Tsukai no Yomu
...Do you mean Makou Tsukai no Yome or Mahou Tsukai no Yoru?

I'm the groups DM, but I'm not into anime. I've watched toonami like once or twice, but that's the extent of my knowledge.

Which sucks because most of my players are weebs. The campaign we just started is supposed to be more anime to cater to them, so I passed on the baton to one of the players and just decided to be a player myself this time.

Hoping for the best.

I run a magical girl campaign. It has however taken a distinctly Initial D turn since the players got their driver's licenses.

You ever tried to GM a game where a bunch of magical girls decide the best way to defeat the villain of the week by Tokyo Drifting the living shit out of it while doing magical beam drive bys while Perfect Hero plays in the background?

... you can't just drop something as amazing as that and not give us more deets, you glorious motherfucker

Challange? Certainly less capable than the average Joe Sixpack when it comes to endurance, murderhoboing, and general experience, but it also forces you to think in ways beyond the sword and actually socialize.

>Have you ever tried DM'ing an anime based campaign?
See the problem here is you thinking "Anime" is a base concept.
And that's wrong. Stop it.

Have I DMed several Anime STYLED campaigns. Mostly BASED on Mecha but I've done a few other things too.

Storytime, user?

I play in a group that is all varying degrees of weeb AND we use Anima as our usual system.
They probably couldn't NOT be anime if they tried

>Exalted/Anima exist

the fuck else do you think it is, nigger?

As a DM and a weeaboo, I usually try my damnedest to keep those two halves of me as far apart as possible, least I end up shoving my players into a shitty ojousama power fest that they are aware of.

However, seeing as how half of my players are interested in turning my game into a japanese soap-opera simulator, I sometimes mix anime-cliches in with my more western-themed plotlines to keep the plot full of twists and surprises. Things I've included that greatly entertain my players are:
>Extremely moe archlich whose shy and cute mannerisms make the party almost forget she's Neutral Evil
>Not!China Empire, which half the party desperately wants to go to and the other half wants to stay far away from the former half is slowly winning over the latter half
>Added ultra-stereotypical chinese monk
>Added kitsune cultists trying to resurrect their dead creator Inari the party loves and hates them, even after they killed a party member by accident while the cultists were running away
>Added in bunny people
>Added in cult with archbishops based off of catholic sins and virtues
>Put monk on a quest to eventually learn the Rasengan

Hand me a noose and I'll finish the job. I have no regrets.

I ran Maid RPG once and all was well. It wasn't really based on anything specific, but I suppose that it counts. It ended up being more like pic related than your average little girl cartoon.

Does porco rosso count?

Pretty good analysis.

I enjoy having character-centric and archetype-heavy games. The rest not so much. Since mechanical systems tend to tie down everything "relative" powerlevels are more or less impossible. You could maybe get away with it in very narrative-to-the-point-of-freeform games I guess.

Only if there are Lions, Tigers, and Bears.

You have the right idea. People like OP only feed into the reasoning behind crappy systems like BESM. Doing webm related in a RPG is an entirely different beast than running a Gundam Seed knock off with engaging combat.

No. My current group is composed mostly of people who flocked to me after playing in a terrible, terrible One Piece campaign. It was rail-roady as hell, filled with special snowflake NPCs with overpowered abilities and a plot that was more about weird bullshit that happened to/near the PCs rather than what the PCs actually did. So a very precise adaptation of the source material, really.

>Added in cult with archbishops based off of catholic sins and virtues

I know where you got that one.

That said, as a DM, i avoid outright anime as i can, but i am also aware that the cuter the girl, the more likely my party is to connect with them. So i have a slew of regular characters and a pool of cute girls i can add in at any time.

And no, i do not just kill them off. Thats far too easy to pull the heartstrings.

I think a one-piece campaign could be really cool. The idea of the world and abilities Set it up to be something that could be really fun with a good amount of player imagination.

But if its railroady as fuck because the DM is more worried about his precious snowflake characters, thats not the fault of the idea. Thats him being That Guy.

This. One campaign, for two years now, with no end in sight.

Hello there fellow jojofag. I'm starting a second campaign relatively soon. What system do you use? I'm trying to see if there's anything better for jojo than the shit my friends and I hacked together

same

I've run and played Adeptus Evangelion games uncountable, but while I've been tempted a few times to play other anime-RPG shits, it's never worked out, mostly because it's actually quite difficult to come up with a story or setting before characters, which is
a) How its done around here
b) Very much incompatible with the idea of a 'good' anime-esque game because the main plot is almost always indelibly linked straight to the backstory of some of the main characters.

The current apples of my eye include:

Battle Century G (Which I started a game of that tanked around session 4, mainly because I allowed bad players to join for once so that I could be sure that they were bad rather than just suspecting them on instinct)

Nechronica (That I have never been able to sell anyone on because its creepy as fuck in both senses of the word, and also its hard to make a plot for)

Tenra Bansho Zero (Which I kickstarted and have had the books lying around for and still can't fucking understand how it works, also I can never coordinate to play a oneshot with the guy I know who doesn't own it but knows how it works)

BLAME! RPG (Fanmade creation, very setting agnostic, has really interesting and unusual mechanics, I have a cool campaign idea that some people have panned because it is too devoid of hope and some people have panned for being too hopeful given the setting, but I haven't been able to sell a group on it yet though).

I tried dming an anime one shot once. I'm never doing it again.

I've run a JoJo campaign, and that is the only anime-related thing I will ever run.

Also checking in to say I've run a JoJo campaign. Stands and Stand users, with the Mutants and Masterminds system.

I was tempted to try a Fate campaign with Masters and Servants using M&M as well, but never got around to it.

I love running SRW campaigns but it was a lot of work balancing character interactions for everyone.

Yome. Sorry. I clearly wasn't thinking straight.
It's such a beautiful series, though.

>That greentext
It's like if Dr. Strange was also a babysitter

This is a pretty meaningless question because where, exactly, the line is drawn between 'anime' and 'non-anime' is ridiculously fuzzy. A lot of high fantasy, taken out of context, would be considered 'anime as fuck', and a lot of anime, taken out of context, wouldn't even cause a batted eyelid.

This is because ANIME IS NOT A GENRE, YOU FUCK. That's like saying 'Movies' is a genre, or 'Newspaper'. Anime is a MEDIUM for genres, not a genre in and of itself, and while certain themes are used more heavily in this medium than in many others, it's not so extensive as to define the medium itself in any realistic way.

Except in the last couple years with the whole stupid fucking moeblob waifu shitshow that has plagued every season, but it's still not extensive enough to define anything, since even that is simply a narrative device that is hugely overused, rather than a genre in and of itself.

tl;dr user is retarded and doesn't know what a genre is, asks pointless question that can only start arguments.

>greentext
>almost no green whatsoever
neck yourself

I'll play BLAME! with you, user.

>The entire basics premise is out-lined in
Greentext
>IT'S NOT A GREENTEXT YOU FUCKING PLEB!!!! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Calm down Autismo, no need to get your panties in a bunch.

you only reply to the green, huh?
neck yourself

I'm DMing two JBA campaigns. Some of the most fun I've had as a DM.

My group is weebs. All of our campaigns inevitably turn anime.
I've been turned into a little girl twelve times oh God save me from this hell.

ANIME ISN'T A FUCKING GENRE

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

What system do you use?

Have you ever tried posting something besides off topic weeb faggotry on Veeky Forums?

D100 JoJo RPG. You can find it in the archives pretty easy, at Super Stand Sunday threads.

Nice write up

>Implying that there's just one weebposter on Veeky Forums

But user, don't you see? We were all the Weeaboo all along!

What a TWEEEEEEST!

Where do you think we are?

I've played MAID with teeg. It was a lot of fun.
No ERP, just played the game straight.

It was like two sessions, but really cool.

I wanna play moar.

>Dour, Serious, Otherwise average Joe, Warlock begrudgingly finds himself as the ally and gaurdian of five magically potent, Young girls.
>Despite his Outward Appathy and lack of concern for them, he always helps the girls with whatever ridiculous antics they have planned and tolerates their mistakes and the trouble they cause with nothing more than resigned exasperation, showing that underneath his stoic demeanor is a heart of gold.
>He's taken up the Role of Cool older brother to them, always there to lend a hand when they're out of their league

Why is this not a thing? I want this to be a thing! I would totally watch this, if it were a thing!

'Anime' is a super-genre in the same sense that say, 'Bollywood' is. Its boundaries as a medium aren't actually defined by the technical means by which it is produced, IE it is distinct from cartoons in general by virtue of a cultural background, and it possesses a number of genre conventions distinct from fictional media in general.

Like I get that it is frustrating to ascribe it to something as small as a genre, but neither is it fully the next rung up the ladder, because it does possess qualities that would normally be ascribed to a genre, not a medium.

The fucks an anime-based game? Anime is a term used for Japanese, or often asian, animation. It is also used when referring to a specific art style. It really has nothing to do with the story or setting, so how one could make an anime-based campaign is beyond me.

Unless you just used a bunch of animu tropes and stereotypes cobbled together to make a world where all women have either tiny breasts or huge breasts, lolis totally exist (like a lot of them), protagonists always have a a harem consisting of at least:
>1 small-breasted girl
>1 huge breasted girl
>1 tsundere
>1 shy girl
>1 protagonist mirror girl
>1 fun-loving girl
Also it's always set in a highschool and everybody says "AGUUUUUUU~~~"
And now we wait.

And it will never happen again, since JP is an egotistical prick.

That shit is exactly what I meant when I talked about fuzzy lines being drawn.

I never implied one, but it's definitely a minority of dedicated shitposters because it's always the same retarded off topic content.

On Veeky Forums, where Veeky Forums based content goes. Not weeb fapshit.

A traditional game involving weeb fapshit is still a traditional game.

You'd be right, except there is no actual traditional game. It's just all hypothetical bullshit spammed by a weeaboo to "seem" on topic. It's really just to spam post his trash and make fap fuel though.

Yes, it was like Kancolle, but with tanks and set in "Heart of Darkness"

It was the most autistic thing I've ever done and it was awesome.

Hate to break it to you, but we're not allowed to play traditional games on the traditional games board anymore, so now we're limited to talking about them. That includes brainstorming ideas for potential future use. You have some imagination and creativity, right? Otherwise you wouldn't be posting on a traditional games board... right?

are you really convinced people playing little girls are actually making stats appropriate to one instead of being Interchangeable & Inexplicable Battle Loli No. 9001 in their games? I'm not.

Disclaimer: while you read this post I'd like you to keep in mind that I do not consider one approach or the other to be superior.

Let's start with an example:
In a "mech" game your capabilities are defined by what the technology is.
In a "mecha" game the technology's capabilities is defined by who you are.

Again, I'm not saying one is better. I'd like mecha series to talk about technology and arms races a bit further than: "The protagonist and main antagonist have the latest prototypes their respective factions could produce, whatever."

This ties in with what says about anime being more character centric.

You could then add that the Western way is GM- or world-centric, in which every insignificant shit will be detailed and simulated.

In an anime game, a player will bullshit his way through some scenes and encounters.
In Western TTRPG, you need to invest a sufficient amount of Bullshit Points for that.

The Western way is about what you cannot do.
The Eastern way is about what you can do.

>Tanks
>In the Belgian Congo

>You will never sail the Grand Line with your quirky crewmates
>You will never rejoice seeing your collective bounty rise as you make a name for yourselves in every island you visit

Is a good One Piece styled campaign really that hard to set up? Does the island -> island -> island format make it limit the options too much?

Okay, I admit it was only based on Heart of Darkness with a little bit of pizzazz from Apocalypse Now.

The setting was a fictional French Colonized section of Central Africa based heavily on the Congo, because fictional places make locationbuilding easier. A civil war had broken out between the government in the north and communists between coupled with "abyssals", who were rising and attacking settlements. A team was dispatched, but after months of fruitless work nothing happened and contact was lost with rumors of them carving up the countryside for their own mad empire beginning to surface. So recon team was assigned to make contact, after making regular radio check in contact suddenly vanish. (Spoilers, the original team became raging psychopaths for a variety of reasons)

The PCs were sent to find the recon team, ask them what happened and see what they knew about the first group (It sounds like a retarded clusterfuck when I leave out the details, but it kind of worked)

Instead of a boat trip, the party took their journey on a muddy north-south road of the country, along the way they would encounter military forces of either side, settlements who weren't terrible interested in treating or talking with tankgirls and all sorts of ner do wells that populated a warzone (like at one point assisting a group of South African mercenaries in strong arming a town for protection funds in exchange for information).

Sadly one PC had to drop and the party was declared too small to continue. So we reformed the group and started a different campaign. Was a fun campaign, we had an Italian Tankette, an OT-34/85, and a Vietnam veteran M48. Plus the NPC meatshields.

This was the map I made.

>French Colonized section of Central Africa
>Vietnam

But really, that sounds pretty fun. What was the second campaign about?

i want to play in your game

because you're playing with friends, not deperate weebs picked up in a random store

>not getting one piece
the simplest way to describe the setting is "it's the pirate age and there are legendary pirates with powers all around but your party will slowly become legends themselves"
It's litterally closer to various mythos and medieval story (not the arthurian kind, the russian story kind)

no, this poster's GM was probably a faggot

DBZ Homebrew I put together for my friends in a few days - we were all right into it when we were kids, and I was bored, asked them what setting they wanted to play in, and that was what they settled on. Actually turned out alright. The stated goal of the system wasn't to be balanced, but to recreate all the tropes of the source, and the meta turned out to be very heavily based on attrition: People who went in blasting finishing moves and trying to block/dodge every attack wore out fast and ended up getting destroyed when they did, people who held back and allowed weak attacks through instead of trying to defend against everything would end up winning out, which kinda made the gameplay mirror the show, with everyone holding their big moves and transformations back until their enemies started to wear down. Powering up was so vital that the players would usually opt to disengage and power up at the same time rather then pressing the advantage and trying to stop one another, which got pretty boring across multiple turns, but then again, it also mirrored the show doing the exact same thing, so not sure if that was a success or not. Beam Clashes were the number one cause of death across our trial fights, coming in a close second to impact damage from people being launched into mountains/buildings/the ground after being combo'd. I tried to implement all the dialogue hallmarks of the show as perks, IE, evil characters could monologue to boost their rolls temporarily if they managed to do so uninterrupted, and could stack monologues to get even higher results, but they didn't see a lot of use amongst the players.

Only ended up doing a short campaign, the majority of the players wanted to be evil characters and run an evil campaign, which I foolishly agreed to, which resulted in a TPK when the whole party started fighting amongst themselves in the middle of their first major arc villain battle.

>attrition
Anyway you have a copy of that or could explain further?

Yeah, I still have a copy. Not exactly complete, let alone polished, but the players lost interest so I stopped working on it.
dropbox.com/s/es6brsz4no38uq8/DBZRPG.txt?dl=0

AdEva is an inherently anime based game, so yes.

Yeah, like I said it was pretty fictionalized. The encounters didn't get too far either, they passed by 2 villages, (missing 2 members of the recon team buried out in the cemetery) and found one more, it was about to get interesting but fell apart.

The second campaign is a Dark Heresy focused on a Knight World, basically Game of Thrones with the Inquisition and Chaos stuffed in for more shenanigans.

I did have a Kancolle Murder mystery planned too if the group wants something different after, it is also as autistic as it sounds.

>inherently
It runs on the skeletal framework of 40k at heart.

Yes, which doesn't negate the fact that anything based on Evangelion is going to be an anime game, regardless of the mechanics used.

>AdEva DM
How many times have you flaked?

Yes and Exalted still sucks.