Millennialfag, GenXfag, or other?

what are you?
Grognard GenXfag here.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=M4IjTUxZORE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

The generation thing is pretty fucking stupid and arbitrary since people are being born non-stop.

what's your point?

You were born in the 70s and you're still on Veeky Forums?

OP's a fag! LOL!

you can say thà you were doing market research without being faggot op

non-grognard genx

so?

When did you plan on quitting Veeky Forums?

I own models that were designed before I was born.

when I started playing the USSR was still a thing.
oh child, there's plenty folk on Veeky Forums in their 40s and some above. Spawn of 1976 here.

1997?

1997 year, but I doubt genx/millenial shit apply to me 'cuz in Soviet Russia shit's different

I am pretty sure I fall under the millennial umbrella

Is this a joke about the guy who answered his age as "21 or 20" ?

Found the millennial

Born in '85, so whether I count as Gen X, or Millenial depends on what agenda a sociologist is trying to push.

1998, so Millennial.

89'
No idea what gen that makes me.

'85.
So pretty close to the border, but I generally go with millenial.

same

'88 here.

I guess it technically makes us millennials, but I always feel kinda awkward about it, considering I remember life before the internet

I was born soviet in the year that made Chernobyl famous.

89 here. Gen Z's will start voting in a few years.

Liminal. I combine the best traits of both with the worst traits of both and a side of your daughter.

GenX and Millennials are the same thing jackass.

My dice are older than many posters. Another Bicentenial Baby here. These are all that remain of my first dice sets I got back in '86

Millennials are Gen Y.

I'm from -93, same position, m8.

From Wikipedia

>demographers and researchers typically use the starting birth years ranging from the early-to-mid 1960s and ending birth years ranging from the late 1970s to early 1980s
for gen X

and

>demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and ending birth years ranging from the mid-1990s to early 2000s.
for millennials

'96 over here.

>Tfw 2016 was my first and best election year.

You just missed the cutoff bud
Probably true but by definition you're a millennial because you came of age in the new millennium
>He didn't vote in the midterms
Classic millennial

>11 more years of babyboomer faggotry
>not sure if GenX is going to be any better by then

1997. I'm becoming a grognardlet. I like older shit that I can spend a few afternoons learning and digesting. I'm gonna experiment with running Mutant Future if I can drag my friends into it. Otherwise, I try to incorporate old-school style challenges and puzzles that require more than a roll to solve in my games. OSR has been a huge influence on how I play and run games.

Maybe you did. Maybe people under 25 are dead tired of being pigeon holed for their age before they can even speak, and having everything they say colored by "entitlement" and "impatience," and maybe they just want to be able to enjoy their hobbies without the year they were born being their defining feature.

Whoa, some people born in 99 can drink in a pub now.

1990, been a 40kid since rhino rush was still a thing.

OP, were you the gloriousfag who started the 90's thread a bit ago?

that was good. sad it fell out.
we oldfags are few...

Became a tabletop player when I was 14, never stopped since.

was born '96... so, millennial? It's kind of stupid to group people be generation though, no? It just creates more boundaries and stereotypes to work around. Better to talk about our ideas, than the things we can't control.

You think we old folks can;t use computers? My generation built the internet.

I didn't know the people who made the internet were 13.

93, grew up playing with my dad who was born in 67.
I would not be surprised if some of my dad's group posts here.

Commercial use of the internet didn't start until around 1989 and wasn't common until a couple years later. The world wide web was built by my generation.

>Gen Z

Kill me now. Every time I look outside I see my god damn cousins. Then I realize generation Z is the last one on the planet if they are anything like this.

>>demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and ending birth years ranging from the mid-1990s to early 2000s.
>for millennials
I've always hated this definition of Millennial. You can draw a line right through the tail end of the 1990s - if you grew up with the internet, or without. I think you could reasonably be born as late as '87 and not really fit in the Millennial cohort as we understand it, today - that's when my brother was born, and he had a front row seat for how internet access changed the culture practically overnight, when early social media first became a major factor.

I was born two years earlier and none of that shit even registered for me until I was already in high school and it was still so new that my high school experience wasn't appreciably different than a Gen Xer's, ten years before me.

'94fag here. Got into TTRPG about 4 years ago. Interesting time to be just getting into this stuff.

1994, got into TTRPGs about 3 years ago, which is a shame, would have loved to get a group sooner than that.

>I've always hated this definition of Millennial. You can draw a line right through the tail end of the 1990s - if you grew up with the internet, or without.
This.

2000 I'm a junior in highschool and I rollplay with my friends on the weekends

I was born in '87. I don't give a shit about the generation thing but I'm pretty sure I count as a millennial.

Regardless, I mostly like OSR.

Silly underaged b&, you might be getting some time to be a normie.

95 here. The elitism here is palpable. Just keep in mind even people like me have been playing for upwards of a decade. We're not all new just because you're old.

1997, first tabletop RPG was D&D 3.5e in High School

>You just missed the cutoff bud
Every researcher has its own millenial age range, I've seen some go all the way up to 2004

1997, my uncle taught me 2e when my mother wasn't looking because she thought it was the devil.
2e is all that me and my friends have ever played to date, as well. As far as I can tell, everyone's okay with it

1975 calling.

>StopRuiningMySafeSpaceYouOldFags.jpg
>inb4 been here all summer. etc etc.

What happens when all these young ones HAVE to obey the "get off Veeky Forums, you're too old" rule? Never going to happen.

2e is the only good D&D, and I say that as someone who started in the waning years of 3.5.

I was born in 88 and was called GenY for 20 years but now millenials say everyone is millenials so they get some minimum success from us almost 30's fags added to their generation of suck.

I don't even have a smartphone or social media accounts.

Veeky Forums and /h/ are the oldfagt boards.

Got into Warhammer 40k in 2001. Been into it ever since.

1990 Millennial. Pretty much hate anyone that shit-talks this generation. I lived on my own since 17, did 8 years of military service, own a house, obtained my bachelors degree and have been married for nearly a decade.

I've kicked more ass then some GenX's I know yet I still hear the snickers of the Baby Boomers before I shut them the fuck up.

>mfw boomers don't realize a pension is the world's biggest participation prize

Tabletop games never get old if you can still find entertainment in your imagination.

You're the exception that proves the rule. Most of the rest of our cohort is garbage. If you get shit from boomers, it's because they're trying to deflect from the fact that they fucked up their kids, who are fucking up the world.

GenX here. 1967.

I've....seen things....you people wouldn't believe...

>millenials say everyone is millenials
It wasn't millenials who decided everyone born after 1980 are millenials.

>ITT the most entitled brats of a generation blame the economy and world they fucked completely in the ass for the express purpose of their own gain blame their children for not being able to do what they made impossible

'77, and have no plans to leave.

Also for decades boomers were blamed for pretty much everything, and they can't contain their glee now that they have a victim of their own.

>Millennials are fucking up the world

With what power or authority? Most millennials are too crippled with student loan debt, and busy working shit jobs while living with their parents to do any damage. Baby boomers are still fucking everything up, they've just convinced everyone that it's the damn kids' fault.

But Gen Xers are the Boomer's kids.

Not necessarily. I'm a millennial, and my parents were late boomers.

Millenials should be 95 onwards. Young adults who remembers the world before the internet should be their own generations because sincerely they're like entirely different societies. I've worked with way too many runts that can't be a whole hour without looking at their fucking deviced and without fault they had an Iphone or laptop since their early teens.

This. I was born in 87 as well and can relate much easier to people who are generation x than I can millennials. I remember life before the internet, I also remember playing outside. Shouldn't that be part of what defines the difference?

If it brings you any comfort they are slowly on their way out the door. I wonder what the world will be like once we get rid of the boomers...

youtube.com/watch?v=M4IjTUxZORE

Are you literally me?

>Young adults who remembers the world before the internet should be their own generations because sincerely they're like entirely different societies.
I was born in '97 and have been using computers/the internet before I could even read.

Generations are grouped in 20 year periods regardless of what you want to be grouped in to.

>The Lost Generation
1880s-1890s

>G.I Generation
1900s-1910s

>Silent Generation
1920s-1930s

>Boomers
1940s-1950s

>Gen X
1960s-1970s

>Millennials
1980s-1990s

>Gen Z
2000s-2010s

>Gen Alpha (soon)
2020s-2030s

As said the end of the "Cold War" to the dawn of the internet used to be called "Gen Y," but unlike what the previous user was saying, the reason Gen Y got lumped in with millenials is because it was more convenient for Boomers and early Gen Xers. Turning one word into an effective slur is more convenient than doing it with two, "those lazy ass millennials are just lazy and entitled, that's why they can't find good jobs and buy houses after we made the requirements more demanding and slashed all their pay" is much easier to say than "those lazy Gen Y-ers and Millennials

>95 onwards

I was confirming the point.

Millennials has always been a nickname for Generation Y. Find me a single academic source that states that Generation Y and Millennials have EVER been a different definition. Generation Z is the generation that you're thinking of as the only generation that does not know a world without computers.

The problem is sociologists insist on fusing Millenials and Gen Z as all Millenials despite Gen Z being completely unrelatable to Millenials because of their extreme dependance on the internet.

1997, I feel like I didn't get a good tabletop experience in highschool because of the internet killing most other people's interest

that 1976 guy here:

yeah, we chose the chan, we will stay here as long as the servers are up.

OldFags: which game is your favorite?

i heard ADnD 2e, any others?

>ITT: people complain about Millennials while not actually understanding what the term "millennial" means

Millennials ARE the people who remember life before the internet was widespread. That's literally the defining characteristic of the generation: they came of age around the turn of the century, and experienced both the pre-internet and post-internet world's during their formative years.

And you know what? It sucks. Especially for early Millennials. They were effectively raised to live in a world that no longer exists anymore. The goddamn rules of reality got rewritten right as they were getting used to them, and now everybody hates them for shit they've never had any control over.

....i've seen attack ships on fire off the belt of Orion....

I was born in 85, my sister was born in 97. We're both artists and she's much better than me at digital painting and modeling but in her own words as to why I'm in a studio doing concept art and she's stuck with drawing the same girl in pastel colors in front of an abstract background: "I'm not creative like you, I cannot just imagine things, I need to google pictures to know what to draw".

And it's not only her, I've given classes and workshops to people of all ages and kids who were raised on the internet seem incapable of just making shit up in their minds. Some go even as far as being unable to draw a person that's in front of them and having to take a picture with their fucking phone to draw from.

Pre and post-internet is probably the greatest generational schizm since the industrial revolution.

Anecdotal evidence about your notion of a "creativity gap" aside you yourself are still not old enough to truly know a world without the internet. By the time you were six internet access was already available to the public. There were still people born in the late 90s who didn't have internet access until at least the mid to late 2000s. The definition of Millennial still fits for both you and your sister.

>Millennials has always been a nickname for Generation Y
I recall hearing "Generation Y" in the late 1990s. I don't recall hearing "Millennials" until this decade.

>the only generation that does not know a world without computers
Computers existed in some form since WWII. They were moderately widespread by the 1970s, and common enough in middle-class homes by the 1980s. The WWW started in the early 1990s and grew to be very well known by 2000. A world without computers hasn't existed for quite a few decades.

As for "academic sources" that state that Gen Y and Millennials are different, I don't think it matters. There are very large differences between people born in 1985 and people born in 1995 due to the large differences in how we grew up and we know that ourselves better than any academic who wants to label their subject of study for maximum funding potential.

>Pre and post-internet is probably the greatest generational schizm since the industrial revolution.

There's no 'probably,' it is this century's industrial revolution. Which also means we're most likely on a collision course with a massive, globe-altering conflict as we develop new technological capabilities faster than the good sense to use them responsibly, but that's probably obvious at this point.

Makes me wonder what's the age average of tumblr SJWs personalities.
Anita, Quinn, Dunham, all that flock of sex-negative, entertainment-hating harpies that want "male" gaming and television to be banned so that we have to listen to their shit instead.

You're neglecting to take into account differences in levels of technology across different geographic regions. Someone born in an urban area in 1985 and someone born in a rural area in 1995 would most likely have had surprisingly similar childhoods, technologically speaking.

The difference is when I was growing up the internet was "that thing dad uses to mail his business partners and doesn't let me use the phone". I graduated high-school without having used it once.

By the time my sister was in high-school every kid in her class had a smartphone.

Born on the old end of what's considered millennial, but my tastes and personality are GenX

Not really. I was born in 1986 and moved from an urban area to a rural area in 2004 and was able to get broadband access in the rural area, which obviously wasn't available in 1994. So someone born in a rural area in 1995 would have had much more internet by the time he was ten than I had access to. And remember, one of the selling points of smartphones is their ubiquity, whereas people my age remember when cell phones were almost unheard of. I remember when my dad, a doctor, first got one. It of course couldn't do anything but make phone calls, and the battery was too weak for it to do that well enough for his purposes. Someone born in 1995, if they can remember their very early childhood very clearly and were outstandingly well informed for a toddler, might be able to remember when cellphones were merely common rather than everywhere.

I'm Generation Why.