Hello, I'm That Guy. I'm applying to join your game and I've submitted three character sheets to the DM

Hello, I'm That Guy. I'm applying to join your game and I've submitted three character sheets to the DM.

Sheet A is blatantly a character from a TV show (video game, comic, ect). I will try to roleplay similar to the way the character acts in the show during gameplay. It is not very optimized and takes abilities that make them more like character in it the show. The backstory is so-so, pulling much from the TV character's backstory and making it fit into your game's setting with a small amount of personalization. I care excessively about the character because I really like the show.

Sheet B is a bland character mostly just numbers for the sake of rolling. I will try to roleplay with what little backstory I make up for myself but ultimately I just want to look cool. It is is highly optimized for gameplay and is probably min-maxed using guides online, but I don't really know how to use the build properly. The backstory has little effort, being based the first ideas that came to mind. I don't really care about the character or what happens to it but become annoyed if I have to roll a new one.

Sheet C is a fairly cliched character with an extremely cliched name. I will try to roleplay to match my backstory and act in the ways described in it. It's choices of abilities are standard and unsurprising for it's concept, baring a few outliers. The backstory is sort of interesting but nothing special. I care about the character because I put in some effort making up a backstory from scratch.

Which one would you accept as a DM, or as another player? Would you tell me to go back to playing video games? Would you try to help me make something better? Just answer what you want.

This is actually me not just some thought exercise. I am That Guy, and I need some insight.

If you have no interest in playing anything else than those character types, even if the GM and players are willing to help you brainstorm ideas, get out of the videogame mindset or otherwise help you make a character that brings some interesting roleplaying to the table, I'd ask you to go back to videogames.
I wouldn't throw you out if you gave me sheet C, but I'd be asking you to free up a few hours over Skype or Discord to juggle character ideas for your next character. You wouldn't have any fun in the groups I GM for with sheet B, and you'd be thrown out on your face if you came with sheet A.
Sheet A is out because it shows a lack of creative initiative and a strong dependence on a source outside the game and setting. It's going to break immersion, bring in unwanted themes and likely require a bit of GM fiat and dispensations to satisfy a fan, and on top of that it's too risky to allow in someone who's so invested in a character that they didn't even care enough about the game to make a character that they like by themselves.
Sheet B is for a board game. Play that character in a board game, and there's no problem. Bring it into a roleplaying game, and no one's going to have fun. It's like someone trying to play handball in the middle of a basketball match.
Sheet C is a good start from a roleplaying persepctive, but creative writing and creativity in general is an extremely important part of roleplaying. I've never met someone who can't be creative, just people who don't want to be - so buckle down and make a character who's a person and not a bundle of clichés. As the GM, I help any and all players with making characters, but that also means you have no excuse for making an outright bad one.

Your picture is shit. The board-tans are dead, and good riddance.

On the Internet, nothing is dead as long as someone's still buttblasted about it.

>Hello, I'm That Guy.
Player dropped.

>it's not dead if I drag it out of its grave and prop its corpse on sticks

No, that's just dead and somehow even more cringe-inducing.

But you care, and that's what brings it back.
I'm not particularly fond of the board-tans either, but seeing someone get this asspained about it might almost change my opinion.

That's a board-tan? I thought it was just that sword pokemon made into a D&D character.

Guess I should have used something else.

Thanks for the help, guess I should put more effort into making my own characters rather then video game rippoffs.

I'd take C just because your standard doesn't mean anything is wrong. That is the best to start when you began n a roleplay. Make something tried and true and start from that.

At least your not a weeboo or midmax bullshit.

>look at me try to use reverse psychology!
>certainly, that will get people to stop calling the shit I tried to spam shit

It almost sounds like you're trying to threaten people with shitposting if they don't stop disliking what you're hoping to promote. Oh no.

You're right though, in that talking about this further is sad, and just offers you more opportunities to bump your sad thread.

Not him, but always put effort into your own characters.
Don't make them vidya ripoffs, but at the same time, don't make them complete 'Mary Sue's.
That isn't to say you can't take inspiration from a character you like, but copy-pasting is fucking boring for everyone else, unless that's what your whole group, GM included, is doing and has specified that that's what the current game is.

Finding a healthy balance in character creation is important.

It'll probably surprise you to hear I'm not even OP.
You'll grit your teeth and flail your arms, of course, claiming I'm samefagging because everyone in the world who doesn't agree with you is the same person, but I just bit on because the only thing sadder than a stale meme is someone who's still mad about it.

Can you please stop? Thanks for the free bumps I guess, but this is really negative.

>cliched name

Dwarf named: Gremy Ironstriker
Orc named: Rengar Bloodfist
Elf named: Leona Lightstep
Human named: Bob Jones

C

Wossname Nounverber is the most cliché name there is. It's up right above Wossface Adjectivenoun.

Personally, I'm cool with Sheet A because I do the same thing every now and again as a DM. Though on the other hand, I suppose that's mostly because my current Shadowrun session is comprised entirely of Sheet As, which I think gets a pass as an 80's action flick. Everyone has fun at the table, so I guess it works.

Extra cliche points if the surname describes the character concept.

As a DM:

C doesn't seem bad at all. It may not be amazing, but I'd rather have a That Guy who's trying to be creative than the other two.

A isn't great, but it's expected. At least the player will be invested. However, if the character is from a show that's way out of line with the setting, then instant rejection. Also, if anime, instant drop.

B is insta-drop if I pick up on the 'I don't really care' part. If the player doesn't care, why should I?

B is shitty.
C is acceptable, and I'd be fine with it especially if it's from a new player.
A I would also be okay with, but only if the player was really willing to embrace the character's personality and not just their abilities.

Oh, and as long as the character A is ripping off isn't a retard/sociopath.