What's a good system for pic related? None of the fangames I've seen feel like anything more than supplements for D&D

What's a good system for pic related? None of the fangames I've seen feel like anything more than supplements for D&D.

Heroquest 2
GURPS could probably do it
FATE
Probably more.

Legends of the Wulin

Here you go, guy.

I have a few more pdfs of various playbooks and modules, but I don't want to spam the thread with them if you're not interested.

Mutants and Masterminds 3e

>Powered by the Apocalypse

D&D fifth edition. Everyone can play a monk!

3rd Edition Champions with the Ninja Hero book.

Depends on if you're running the game pre-TLA or post-LOK, or somewhere in between, both settings are significantly different.

Let me guess, you're either the GURPSfag or the D&D kiddie.

this has some very limited character creation

Take Legends of the Wulin. Modify it to use four elements instead of five. Benders each get access to their one type of elemental chi, while heroic normal people use Internals that have no elemental association (Sokka and his master use Jade Spirit Sword, for example). Give all benders an elementally-flavored version of Rage of the Dragon Kings. Only the Avatar can cultivate more than one type of elemental chi, and is in fact obligated to do so, in the order required by the elemental cycle.

D&D 4E is actually really good for this

ORE/Wild Talents

This. Legends of the Wulin has the best high action combat system in roleplaying games.

It's a crunchy system and the core book is ungodly awfully edited, so there's a significant barrier to entry, but fuck when the system works it is so damn good.

Of course, this is if you want the combat to be a meaningful part of the game. I can see the appeal of lighter systems which put less focus on it, but for something like Avatar the fights having some meat to them would seem key.

The thing I most like about LotW for this is that it makes combat the center of its storytelling. A fight can end in many more things than just someone getting hurt, making fights between allies an interesting and meaningful experience that can be mutually beneficial after all is said and done. That is actually the thing I find most suited to Avatar, even beyond the innate access to Elemental Kung-fu styles.

This. Power pools for everyone!

I thought legends of the Wulin was all about cinematic action and kicking reality to the curb, not crunchy combat

LotW is unique, because its combat is both cinematic and crunchy.

While most combat systems add crunchy by basing things of realism and granularity, LotW builds a decently complex combat system purely based on the themes, style and tone of the Wuxia genre. It generally ignores details in favour of broad ideas of your approach to combat and the ways you can interact with your opponent, but still gives enough mechanical weight to those options to make them fun and meaningful to use in play.

Strike!

It has a mini avatar-like setting included in the core book even (needs to be cut back a bit).

LotW is also great tho, I just prefer Strike! because I like my combat being more tactical and less rolling.

Well, sounds like wants more, and I'm interested (but not OP).

There's a lot of strategy and tactics to LotW combat too, but you're probably using Tactical in the RPG context which means miniatures and grid based combat?

Although yes, LotW also has a lot of rolling. It's not as bad as it sounds, given LotW's rather unique system trait of having you roll your dice first and declare your actions second.

>but you're probably using Tactical in the RPG context which means miniatures and grid based combat?

Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to imply LotW doesn't have strategy. I just prefer the grid/position/squad based strategy style.