mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous Thread:
What are the greatest meme builds of 5e?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/610955844918886400
twitter.com/mikemearls/status/821904397034631168
twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/821900007649329153
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What are the greatest meme builds of 5e?
Vengeance Paladin multiclassed into Fighter for Action Surge. You take Great Weapon Fighting and the Two Handed fighting style hoping your GM uses the raw reading of the style. Then you don't do anything until your party faces a boss and you just blow your divine load all at once.

>Paladin 2/Sorcerer X
>Arcana Cleric 1/Twilight Druid X
>Any multiclass build intended to make Bladelock viable
>8 int wizard with no attack/save spells

As a Thief Rogue, I can use my Cunning Action to throw Acid Vials and Alchemist Fires, right? I ask because I got into an argument with the DM about it. Need some concrete proof to show him that it works.

Alchemist's Fire and Acid vials are not used with the "use an item" action, but as a unique action defined in their rules text, so no, you cannot.

No fuck you

>Arcana Cleric 1/Twilight Druid X
I'm not seeing the synergy here. Care to explain for me?

Does anyone know of where I could find a good pirate ship map for my campaign?

My players have recently gotten one from a defeated adversary and I want it to function as their main transportation as well as something they can customize,

It involves some unintended synergy between how damage is rolled for Magic Missile and the Twilight Druid's Harvest Scythe feature.

The necrotic d10s end up being applied to *each* dart from the spell.

Speaking of Meme builds, I'm running a one shot for a Gaming 101 thing, and since last time I did a low powered game, this time I'd like to go a bit higher.

What are some good classes/backgrounds for a party of Halflings infiltrating a Halfling town suspected of being subverted by a demonic cult?
The plot is going to be "Figure out what's going on, then message the Paladin hit squad waiting in the wings once you can provide us with a nice juicy target."

I'm thinking Wizard Illusionist, Rogue *Something*, maybe Monk? Cleric? I'm not sure, honestly.

If that's the case, the Thief's signature ability doesn't work with most adventuring gear, since a lot of it uses the same "as an action" wording, including ball bearings, caltrops, healer's kits and climber's kit.

Google.

But I won't be a dick, I googled it for you, found one that is half decent imo.

That's how it works

>>Any multiclass build intended to make Bladelock viable

intended being the keyword there

It's not the greatest build, but it's definitely the "greatest meme" build.

I disagree with that reading, but a source from Sage Advice or Jeremy Crawford's Twitter one way or the other would suffice.

Which is why thief is one of the worst archetypes.
But for my group I let them use anything as a bonus action so long as it's not explicitly a magic item in conjunction with that feature. I think that was the intention. Even if it's not, it's more fun that way.

I appreciate it buddy. Made my life easier.

>When an object requires your action for its use, you take the Use an Object action.

twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/610955844918886400

Confirms that.

My players are about to fight in an arena for glory and riches. I have an entire tournament planned out with obstacle courses and combats, and probably some PvP fighting.

Have any of you ever done anything like this? Any suggestions for events?
Any suggestions for balancing the pvp?

Here's the exception I take: If we assume that Thief's Fast Hands ability does not work with adventuring gear such as Acid Vials because you're using a "Bonus Action" instead of an Action, then it calls into question the effectiveness of the Incapacitated status effect (and similar effects) that say that you "can't take actions or reactions." Under the same reading, an incapacitated creature would still be able to use bonus actions, and that's just preposterous.

For PVP, roll initiative for each round

Speaking of which, this means magic missile works with the evocation wizard feature right?

How can I deal the most damage with magic missile?
I want to anime missile everything.

Who's in the party?

Anyone got that modification for Samurai UA that one user did. I remember one skill call swallow cut or something

But wouldn't that mean an effect that makes it so you "can't take actions or reactions" still allows spellcasters to use their bonus action spells?

Isn't that just as silly?

A fighter, a wizard, a bard (valor), and an artificer (gun one).

Worried that the casters might dominate the sole martial but don't want to skew the balance too far in his favor either. He's a knight so I feel like if I gave him a mount he'd just blow right through them.

>Party embraces the TPK
>Spends the rest of the night making a new party
>They're already better equipped and prepared for the adventure than the past few months of play

That's the point I'm making man.

That's a really good idea. Thank you.

Well I just did a 2 second search in the book and read up on bonus actions.
>And anything that deprives you of your ability to take actions also prevents you from taking a bonus action, PHB 189

So that solves that. Now it seems perfectly fine once more.

Fights begin with opponents 25 feet apart from each other. Any spellcaster inside the arena is explicitly told to NOT use save or die spells or else it's murder and you will be arrested.

Otherwise the moment someone drops to 0 HP Clerics swarm in and begin stabilizing and healing both parties. Most people who do enter the arena are martials, because spellcasters aren't as exciting to watch as blood and gore.

Thanks Coleville for that one, stole it from him. It made the 1v1 duel I setup really stressful for my player. I love it

Ah I see it now. Thanks.

Arcana Cleric Druid is still your best bet, as even just applying 1d10 to the 1st level version of the spell will result in 3 (1d10 + 1d4 +1) darts of automatic damage, which if directed to a single target is an average of 27, and a max of 45. 27 unavoidable damage from a 1st level spell is pretty ding dang re-diddly-diculous, and it only gets dumber from there.

2d10 to 2nd level MM gets you 4 darts of (2d10 + 1d4 + 1) for an average of 58 and a maximum of 100 damage, no save.

5e is mankind's greatest cure for insomnia

UA isn't released material.
Sorry, to be more specific I'm talking what we already have RAW.

Oh, in that case why are you bothering trying to get reliable damage out of Magic Missile? Evocation Wizard.

I dunno. I don't mind how simple it is. It's accessible, but that may or may not be good. At least I can use a shield and not be completely dogshit.

What I do mind is that it's stealth 3.5.

Thank you guys.

I honestly wouldn't even worry about doing pvp but there is a very specific reward for the champion and I don't want to have to deal with bickering over who gets it.

>What I do mind is that it's stealth 3.5.
uwotm8?

Planning on doing an Asian themed adventure using 5e and some homebrew races (I'm allowing pretty much all of the UA material and letting the players fluff up the classes to fit as per the DMG).

Any tips?

For memes.

So yesterday I told my players martial class all get a free Martial Adapt feat at level 7. To my surprise they all decided to go martial. I only expected one or two would go for it.

So now I'm going to start the game at level 5 with a ranger, 2 fighters, a and rouge.

So now I have an idea of making the world magician are on a massive decline. And the remaining magic user are all persecuted and hunted down.

I'm excited. This gonna be the first game I DM

If one of your players doesn't do it, make sure you have a "I don't want any trouble" npc tailored after the man, the myth Jackie Chan.

According to a shit DM: yes
According to the rules: only if you were extremely negligent; actual accidents don't count

Well, be careful about that plotline of "remaining magic users are all persecuted and hunted down."

All three of those classes still have the ability to cast spells (depending on archetype for fighter and rogue, of course).

You could alter it to instead, certain types of magic are taboo (instead of just necromancy). I'd include stuff like enchantments, illusions, evocations (unless you're in the military or serve the king). Stuff like that.

Should they be a MonkBard too?

Don't do a "hunted casters" campaign. Just do a real ass action movie where the characters can succeed through grit and guile instead of a bunch of bullshit "no, you can't knock down the door or swing from the chandelier or dislodge this support beam" while the Wizard melts every wall and mind-controls the enemy and shrinks doors off their hinges.

An all-martial game is a treat for everyone involved. A heavy burden now rests on your shoulders. Don't fuck it up.

Grit and guile is shit in campaigns not made for it though. Run into one caster and it's "fuck we have no way to fight this guy."

Minus the endless customization, 5e plays very similarly to 3.5e, hell Adv/Dis mechanics were in at least a couple 3.5e spells/powers/maneuvers.

The skill list is very simplified, and the building a character is playing on cruise control, but the only thing I feel is any different between the two editions is that combat is easier to resolve in 5e due to it not being as clunky with all the various checks 3.5e had.

>So now I have an idea of making the world magician are on a massive decline. And the remaining magic user are all persecuted and hunted down.
That could be interesting. Maybe try something like Dragonlance where magic is extremely regulated, though this is probably more extreme.

Make it so that access is heavily restricted, and then the ones that have access to it have a near fanatical fear for it.

I don't know how you're gonna establish it, but you could do something like only certain types of people have an affinity for magic. Sorcerers are the ones that aren't identified early and tend to be unrestrained with what they're willing to practice, whereas wizards are identified very young and taken to "monasteries" to be trained strictly.
Maybe have Divine casters (who get their power from devotion, thus not necessitating the "innate talent") be the sorta wardens of this.
Perhaps make it so that the party is dispatched by the Clergy to acquire a young person who is prophesied to be a powerful mage, however he is far outside their range of influence. The party could get stuck between several factions all with designs on the mcguff--kid.
Like some sorcerers that want him/her/xim to lead them in a revolution, or a more radical arm of the church that wants the kid murdered rather than run the risk of the balance of power shifting.

I dunno, just throwing stuff out there.

>run up to him while moving from cover to cover and throwing shit
>beat his fucking face in
You do realize like almost every fantasy action movie and novel ever that features a magical villain and a non-magical hero completely trounce the shit out of them, and only in about 20% of them is a magical macguffin involved in the process, right
This isn't hard

Yes! Thanks heaps. I think the last one will be the ultimate fight - where it turns out they are damn near mythical characters that everyone figured were dead because they retired quietly.

Thats awesome.

What do you think about having them win it? Should it even be feasible / possible? I mean if they come up with a way to I have no issue with that - but would you expect them to be the top by level 5?

The rules of the tournament will specify that lethality should be avoided, and that striking an unconscious combatant is a penalizable offence.

And how do you plan on taking out the 5 million magical based traps on the way in without a finger waver? It's fine if the campaign is just "let's all be barbarians" but for any module not made for it, it's a death sentence.

>stipulate that casters must be holding an arcane focus to cast
>use disarm rules
>have optional "silencing" rules for checks needed to stuff fists in mouths or karate chop someone in the throat

>What are the greatest meme builds of 5e?
Shillelock
Any shillelagh build really

But why do you mind that it's stealth 3.5?
A lot of people liked 3.5

After recruiting via posters, I've got [potentially] 9 people showing up for a session zero. I usually am okay with lots of people for session 0 because in my experience I've often had lots of just no shows in the past.
Three of them are close friends that are definitely going to be in the group.

How fucked am I/What's a fair criteria for cutting people if everybody shows? I'm used to larger groups, but more typically 6-7 players is my cap.

>That could be interesting. Maybe try something like Dragonlance where magic is extremely regulated, though this is probably more extreme.

That actually really good. I don't wanna build I would too much, but just having this concept in mind help alot

Rocks, a bag of rats, 150 feet of rope, spare swords, a ladder, and a ten foot pole.
You can beat shit like Whiteplume Mountain without any casters whatsoever.

IT'S NOW A DARK SUN CAMPAIGN
EVERYONE STARTS IN THE GLADIATORIAL ARENA
THE LAST FIVE MEN STANDING ARE YOUR PARTY
GLORY TO TECTUKTITLAY!

*build the world

split into two separate sessions if necessary.

I think that you could just go with the "if you remove all their HP points and declare it was a non lethal attack, they're knocked unconscious" rule.

The games I've played we can usually take out other player characters with fucking ease because two of us optimize. And casters can burst down most PC's too. Just spread out the fights over a few days, not going over 3 a day for easymode, and the chances of your players winning are pretty fucking good. Also I'm sure your players would like competitions besides the grand melee (which would be the main tourney fight I'm assuming you want to do) that cater to their individual talents.

If you want a back up in case you don't think your characters can win it, have an npc team take some injuries that have no way of healing in time for the competition to end, and splitting the reward if the players join their team to compensate.

I dunno, it still has a lot of the problems of 3.5e, and I like 3.5e a lot.
I guess I just wish it was more different. Plus without all the flavor from PrCs, it feels kinda dull.
Granted, I don't see why you couldn't make your own, but at that point, you may as well just play 3.5e.

No problem.
If you don't wanna use a stock setting, and you are starting fresh, maybe just focus on the areas you think you'll use, come up with a bit of fluff/refluff other settings, and then let the setting develop naturally from that.

twitter.com/mikemearls/status/821904397034631168

5e Oriental Adventures confirmed

See who has a more restrictive schedule. If everybody makes it, prioritize whoever arrives first.

People that arrive late still make characters, but have them be 'guest characters' that appear every so often.

>Legend of the 5e Rings

Bugbear Primeval Guardian is up there.

That dwarf is a cutie and I wish more of my players liked dwarves.

twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/821900007649329153

>Which is why thief is one of the worst archetypes.

Don't get all upset about one feature not being as good as you think it should be. Thief mobility makes them amazing Sneak Attack archers unless you only play in 2 dimensional spaces with no terrain features.

i'd like to show mei my rooster if you know what i mean

I have to link my own meme
I also played a Rogue 1, Knowledge Ceric 1, Druid 2, Sorcerer 1
He had expertise in: Arcana, History, Investigation, and Perception.
And proficiency in: Animal Handling, Insight, Nature, Religion, and Stealth.
He was 10lbs under his carry limit with an insanely huge toolbox of items for any situation, 11 cantrips, and 13 most rituals with Ritual Caster for even more.
In a non combat game.

I'd actually love to house rule falling damage going to the enemy if you score a hit on them while falling.

Thief uses movement to assassins creed up to ceiling, falls down, extra 3d10 damage. But not if he misses.

RAW it should be able to use those as objects since they're not magical items.

So contests ive thought up so far include

>Archery
>A marathon / Obstacle Course
>Maze Running (with captured mobs roving around inside)
>The final tournament which rules are looking something like.

1. Each team fights only once per day
>So im going to ramp up the difficulty to mean even casters going full nova wont just insta-win them
2. Anyone knocked out, skips the next round.
3. You can concede at any time
4. Lethal blows are illegal. Anyone who delivers one is disqualified for the remained of the tournament.
>As you said use the "non-lethal blow rules" but there is also going to be an evil group competing
5. Prize Money is awarded to the top 4 teams.
6. Poisons are not allowed.
>no-one in the group uses poisons really, but I plan on having the evil team's rogue use some.

Careful with the maze running my group cheesed it with teleports last time our DM did that.

Sometimes you just have to deal with DM calls.

I let Thief rogues use potions with Fast Hands. The feature does so little by RAW.

;)

The rare fat girl who still looks pretty good.

You're being more lenient.
But if you're gonna gimp one of their primary features by not letting them use an object as a bonus action, then that player has every right to change characters.

How?

Not so that I can nessecarily stop it, but the NPC teams will likely be trying something similiar

Most memes rely on UA material

Misty step and the find steed ability of the vengeance paladin.
Or dimension door and a familiar up above.

Thief is the only Rogue subclass with any staying power into a high level campaign, and its best features require the least amount of fiat in DM Fiat: The Class. Everything else Rogue peaks early or requires the DM to cooperate with everything.

God I fucking miss 4e Rogues that just werked.

It's because she's still fairly toned under the pudge.

Also cute face.

The thing is, Second Story Work is supposed to the primary level 3 feature. It's a good feature in a campaign that happens in towns or any environment that has trees or rocky terrain features. People get caught up on Fast Hands because it's listed first. All the rogues have a 1 situational level 3 feature and a general-purpose level 3 feature.

Yeah, it's a shame how often chub coincides with poor hygiene and lazyness.

I like it user, are the evil npc's just out for a hit on one of the contestants?

>Second Story Work is supposed to the primary level 3 feature.

Nigger what.
>climbing no longer costs extra movement
Good for archers, sure.
>extra 5 feet at the most for jumping
pffthaha

Use an Object is infinitely better so long as your DM doesn't blatantly nerf you.

>being able to climb faster isn't the more situational feature
It literally depends on the situation.

Oh it'll be underground.

Find steeds a good one. Misty step I guess helps with crossing narrow bridges and obstacles, but nothing I wouldn't expect.

They are going to try and win the whole thing, but if/when they are disqualified and/or beaten they will attack the players either that night, or the next night.

Then attempt to steal the prize money and escape.

Maybe not in that order.

>Hit on one of the contestants
Well actually one player does have a Noble who swore vengeance against him. Maybe ill make him one of the spectators and when he sees him compete he will hire someone to take him out.

Thanks for the idea user

>>climbing no longer costs extra movement
>Good for archers, sure.
What's in the base rogue class that forces you to choose between melee and ranged? Carry a rapier and a hand crossbow.

>>extra 5 feet at the most for jumping
>pffthaha
Never considered that a Thief can jump between buildings that most rogues can't because they dump Strength?

Fair points.
Yet doesn't dispute the fact that by definition second-story work is more situational.

People were saying the combats in 5e were or are boring.
This is probably because of the 5e monster statblocks and their lack of flavorful abilities/mechanics.

They really need a redesign, but on the other hand, they can be fluffed however you want.

>buildings with sprint-capable rooftops
>more than 10 feet apart
>less than 20 feet apart
we're entering extreme levels of situation here

yeah i'm looking at around 7 or so for my own session zero on saturday.

Also, question, my kobold fighter just hit level 3 and is going battlemaster and just picked up a ring of evasion as well, what maneuvers should I look at? I'm considering Parry, Tripping Attack, and one other but not sure what.

Tome of beasts tried to add some flavor.
They added rape instead.
So many rape monsters with instant kill abilities.

Okay, so pic related has a ruling on Fast Hands from the sage advice compendium. Basically, using non-magical items, such as healer's kits, counts as a Use an Object action and is therefore eligible for Fast Hands.

That said, acid and the like require you to make an attack roll when you use them, which makes things weird. So on one hand you have a wording similarity to healer's kits and on the other you have an attack roll. I'd argue that since they're in the adventuring gear section, rather than the weapons section, they should be treated like all the other adventuring gear and therefore fall under Use an Object, but I can see why one would disagree.