Hey guys I'm making a gonzo fantasy world where everything is weird and wacky...

>Hey guys I'm making a gonzo fantasy world where everything is weird and wacky. It's just going to be a bunch of really off-the-wall stuff, like really random and silly, you know? The goblins all ride giant hamsters! There's a wizard whose beard is alive! Isn't that so fucking weird and fun?

Has any GM ever actually pulled this off well

>Getting angry about, of all things, gonzo fantasy worlds
OP do you literally hate fun or something

The guy who made Time Wizards did

Fuck you, gonzo fantasy is great. Better than the grimdark shit everyone wants to do these days.

Terry Pratchett thread?

Pretty sure this is the default dnd/pathfinder campaign.

Nope. It's all cancer, and so is anyone who disagrees.

One time someone in my group tried to do something like that and for character creation had us draw random qualities (things like "skeleton" "slime" "robot" etc) out of a hat. I genuinely tried, but I don't think I hid my disgust very well. That shit just isn't for me

>implying Pratchett is cancer
You dun goofed

I want to play in a game like this damn it.

>Has any GM ever actually pulled this off well
Yes. Balder could GM me into the bowels of hell, and I would cheerfully game along.

The secret is to take all the weird and wacky shit, and play it completely seriously. Think about Monty Python. In all of their random silliness, did they ever *once* smile? Fuck no, they didn't.

Dungeons the Dragoning has a lot of elements of this, although the tone of the universe varies a lot from sphere to sphere.

Naw, not cancer. Just Alzheimer's.

You cheeky sonova bitch.

What is gonzo fantasy and how does it relate to gonzo journalism?

Faerun Loathing in Waterdeep

>"okay guys we're all in agreement, we're gonna do a serious, dark campaign this time"
>two sessions later
>talking magical wizard hats with googly eyes, butt druids, and a cult of the six eyed rambling romper

It would explain his death.

I see what you did there.

Watch "Time Bandits".

DELET

>the default dnd/pathfinder campaign is gonzo fantasy
We have a winner.

>inb4 nuh-uh beholders and flumphs are srs bsns

I get sick of grimdark every now and then.
In fact, my current 40k army is based off a sort of "grimdark overload" gonzo thing. I have fun.

>I THOUGHT THE COLD WAR WAS OVER!

Look, in my experince, if the setting isn't already bizzare and humorous to start with, the players will drag it there eventually. Even if it's Call of Cthulhu.

ESPECIALLY if it is Call of Cthulhu.

Henderson.

PROTIP: Never give your CoC PC's access to explosives.

Second PROTIP: The above doesn't work. In my experince, they'll just breakdown their own bullets to make improvised bombs out of the gunpowder inside.

It's always cold in Siberia.

That sounds fun.

>PROTIP: Never give your PCs access to explosives.
fixed

Underrated