Gritty Sword & Sorcery setting

>gritty Sword & Sorcery setting
>world overrun by monsters
>PCs are grizzled veteran adventurers; kickers of doors and takers of heads
>a mercenary knight armed to her teeth, fully-armored and standing between her allies and certain doom with her massive tower shield
>a Dwarven Orcslayer, blood streaking down his bulging muscles as he leaps into the fray wielding his two battle-axes
>an Elven Manhunter, prowling in the depths of the wilds and the shadows of civilization for his prey, bow in hand, never missing a shot.
>and uh...
>Kevin, did you make a character? What are you playing?

well, MY character is Dixie, she's a REALLY quirky alchemist. She's really awkward and has zero social awareness, you could say she's clinically insane xD
she's wears all black, a long leather trench coat, oh and shades! she uses no weapon because she doesn't believe in physical violence, but she brews up her own potions and throws them at people she doesn't like xDD

>a mercenary knight armed to her teeth, fully-armored and standing between her allies and certain doom with her massive tower shield
What is this? Dragon Age? Enough with the
>HURR BIG STRONK FEMALE KNIGHT

FIRST

FUCKING

>waaaaaaah

First post worst post.

This can happen a lot, best thing you can do is make your intentions about the tone and setting of the campaign abundantly clear, and if that fails simply reward good roleplay that fits the tone and punish lolrandumb actions with great vengeance and furious anger.

Yeah, I tend to do that. But what if you're one of the players in this situation? It's happened to me a lot, and it just takes me out of the game.

I'm sure you've all been through it, being really hyped for the game and then some player just makes a character that completely breaks the tone of the game and is impossible to ignore.

I die quietly inside.

Monks in D&D

>But what if you're one of the players in this situation?

Quietly ask the GM about the issue.

Then die inside when he ignores it completely.

>Kevin, did you make a character?
Just why, just why, just why, don't people have a character creation session?
Everyone sit down together, talk about your ideas, come up with common threads in character's pasts, make sure that they all fit the campaign premise.
Basic stuff.

fuck off faggot

Fighters aren't always generic white knight #404 either.

Yeah, no. Monks are silly as fuck in a medieval setting.

Good thing most D&D settings aren't medieval

It's fantasy with (super)heroic protagonists you boipussy.

^ This.
Before people spill some spaghetti about monks, they should realize that no D&D setting is European medieval. Some REGIONS are an analogy, along with the tech, but it is not based on European myth or history, while usually having outright notAfrica/India/China/Japan/Arabia regions.
It's absolutely bottom barrel D&D shitposting.

It is 99% medieval Europe, my guy.

And even if it wasn't, it's about people going around fully armored and using swords and axes and spells to take down either OTHER fully armored and armed foes OR devilish man-eating beasts.

A guy going around in a robe punching and kicking shit might be your cup fo tea, but you can't deny that it breaks the overall tone without sounding extremely pedantic.

>It is 99% medieval Europe
Let's look at D&D settings, user.
Greyhawk? Nope.
Forgotten Realms? Nope.
Ebberron? Nope.
Planescape? Nope.
Dark Sun? Nope.
Spelljammer? Nope.
Points of Light? Nope.
Ravenloft? Yes, actually.
So, user, you are 1/8. That's a lot less than 99%.
But please, go on with your incredible knowledge of D&D settings and what is "European medieval" to us.

>lol if I just say no it means I'm right
Sure boyo, but why are these setting not medieval? There's kings everywhere, people are poor and technology is low. That's pretty medieval.
But yeah, nope beats actual arguments, sure.

The word "medieval" does not equal Europe, you fucking mongrel, you are just used to hearing it.
Medieval is a state of a society, and even then, each of those settings, save Ravenloft have regions that are medieval, and regions where they are entirely not. Al Qadim and Shining South, The Unapproachable East and Northern Wastes are all in FR alone, and are entirely devoid of European influences.
My post was made with the assumption you knew a damn thing about D&D settings in order to justify your quantifiably false allegation, but you don't, you are just another shitposter that got btfo'd and resorts to memes and elementary school history.

What part of " without sounding extremely pedantic" did you miss?

I'm sorry you wanted a concise, inflammatory soundbite, but I'm not an American politician, and you can take your blown out asshole from this thread whenever you want.

Currently going through this in a Dark Heresy game. We've kind of got a big party, but the psyker in the group is super new to the game and setting in general, so he usually acts like a retard whenever he socializes with NPCs, which, being a Nobleborn Face really irks me, and if I'm being entirely honest, I've wanted to have him killed more then a few times...

Is his background justifying a poor social effort?
You ought to talk to the guy at this point, direct him to setting expectations and norms.

Is opening up the heart of the big stronk female knight which was to this point as cold and confined as her steel plate not your fetish, user?

>but I'm not an American politician

Says the guy using extremely niche definitions to twist around the meaning of a broadly accepted expression so his opinion can be justified as fact.

>Says the guy using proper definitions rather than the meaning of a factually wrong expressions

No, this is his first TTRPG experience, and he seems to be of the lolrandum variety. He's currently set himself up as some kind of prophet of the emperor by happenstance without the party knowing. As soon as certain party members find out, I would expect an execution.

He's a friend of a friend. It was mentioned that they talked a lot about the setting before we started playing, but I would have wished the setting would have been explained in a little more detail to him. So as what to do/not to do.

My character is entirely non combat, so I can really only derive fun when I get to be in social interactions, which he can destroy pretty quickly just by opening his mouth.

>not playing all monks as John Kreese or Preet van der Plessis

I feel you, man. I've been through that situation way too many times.

Go back to Tumblr

Yeah, he's currently running around in like a leather bikini wielding a greatsword just saying dumb shit. His psyker is also like a 70 year old man or something, so it's both silly and gross.

I mean, I don't want to be the pissy one in the corner scoffing at his fun, but come on, there is a line.

How bout I go somewhere there's lady knights

like here

How about you go cry somewhere else about how other people are at fault for your shitty NEET existence

>they don't care about a fantasy RPG character's gender, they MUST be tumblrites

>monks in dnd
>do more damage with their hands than with a swrod

>cannot incapitate enemies with gronious nipponese steer, forded 10000000000000000 times

Have you tried talking to the guy? Told him that what he is doing is from an in-character perspective pretty stupid?
I mean, when I started playing RPGs I also did quite a lot of stupid and possible "lolrandumb" stuff, but that's just how it is. You really can't expect newbies to immediately pick up what kind of game/tone the group is going for - and I'd rather have someone who takes part (albeit in a base manner) than one of those beginners that can't open their mouth even if their character's life depended on it

>Yeah, he's currently running around in like a leather bikini wielding a greatsword just saying dumb shit. His psyker is also like a 70 year old man or something, so it's both silly and gross.

For a second there I thought you were saying the player was literally wearing a leather bikini to the games while wielding an actual sword.

does the thought of lady knights make you...uncomfortable?

It makes me...comfortable

Oh the thoughts crossed my mind quite a few times. It's just that when he does something silly, I will admit, it is minor, or at least not big enough to warrant some random guy he doesn't know to halt the game and go into a discussion of "your character should be acting/reacting this way given the setting" you know?

I mean, I can already see where it will just keep piling up and piling up until maybe something bad happens. But to tell you the truth, if his character died due to his stupidity, I don't think he's really care. I think he'd just laugh it off and either stop playing or come up with a new character. And that is probably what he's enjoying about the game, not necessarily the setting or game mechanics. Which if I'm being honest, isn't really a bad thing. I just want to have my fun too, you know?

Post girls in armor

>dem thighs
Mmmm

See? Isn't that better than talkin' shit?

But if he really is infringing on your fun, that's the point where you have to speak up. Either in-character or in person.
And since it seems to have happened a few times already, you don't have to wait until it happens again, but simply bring it up at the beginning of the session.
I don't see the benefit of not talking about it

No, it's actually painful chafing. Especially since the metal seems to a snug fit with no padding

you're just jealous of her prowess

Nah, I enjoy some armored ladies, too.
But really, look at . Doesn't she seem awfully pissed at something? It's probably the incredibly stupid bottom part of her armor

In character I've already had him black bagged for speaking out of line at a dinner party, I think the next step would just be to snuff the guy if he does it again. But yeah, maybe I should just mention it before our next game.

>unarmored shoulder
What a slut

FPBP
>gritty setting
>female knights

>inb4 offtopic
>implying there is anything of worth to discuss in this thread

武俠 have been around since OD&D, a la. Eldritch Wizardry
They were also in BECMI. They got 16HD. Everyone else got 9HD.