MTG EDH/Commander General

Blinking Bullshit Edition

Last Thread RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Thread Topic:
>Tell us a tale about your local gamestore. Are they nice? Are they dicks? Has anything interesting ever happened?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/daxos-steals-your-deck/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-01-17-die-die-die/#c2928049
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-good-boy-wheel-sphinx/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rishkar-isnt-bad-i-swear/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kozilek-the-glaring-distortion/
mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-commander-20-entropic-uprising-upgrade
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for Iona did nothing wrong

>Tell me about your Local Gamestore
Well there's two. One that I love and I go to as often as I can, but has events every night so they can't host our EDH getogethers

Store number 2 is much larger, has a lot more open tables and runs events only a few days a week, but they only really stock cards for standard, and treat us like a huge inconvenience for asking to look at any of their older binders.

We're probably just going to move our EDH games to someone's house given none of us really like it at the second store.

Repostin my Daxos list from last thread for any suggestions people might have.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/daxos-steals-your-deck/

Best Commander for a Mono Black Big Mana deck?
Kind of a Swamp matters theme with lots of artifacts.

Erebos or someone else? For the longest time I used Maga, Traitor to Mortals but he's kinda boring and his name sucks now.

>Daxos of Meletis
Barf. Things are looking pretty good, but that commander makes me irrationally mad. Throw in as much ramp as you can, to cast your opponent's deck back at them.

Erebos for sure, never hurts to have more card draw

besides mana rocks, what cards does UW have that ramp?

Maga's name is great. Don't tell me you're one of those trump fags who can't handle light hearted humor.

Anyways, the best big black is the one eyed.

>Maga's name is great. Don't tell me you're one of those trump fags who can't handle light hearted humor.

Quite the opposite. We just have some real life MAGA dudes at our LGS and well let's just say they make stupiud comments but honestly I could care less but it was time to find a new commander anyways.

And just to be clear, maga would be just as funny if it was a white card called maga, the plains last hope.

Fair enough. I highly recommend the one eyed then. You use your mana to cast spells over and over again.

Or Toshiro, for mono black spell slinger, my personal favorite.

>Maga sucks
>Trump fags
Oh man, I can't believe the libtard tears spread as far as my /edhg/.

So I have a friend who wants to get into Magic. The problem is, he's never played before, and I only have EDH decks set up. I was going to build two relatively straight forward decks so I could teach him the basics.

If I were to build a monogreen and a monoblack deck on an extreme budget, what sorts of things should I remember to include? I was going to go through my commons/uncommons and cherry pick a few obvious strategies. I a discard theme for the black one could be pretty powerful on a budget, and a stompy ramp theme for the green one could be also be good, but how do I balance them to the same power level?

Yeah I have him on my radar but the price and especially the flavour of a "real" Chinese person kinda throw me off. Would love a functional reprint at 3BB but that's a pipedream I guess.

Probably going with Erebos. Foil one should look nice.

Assuming you don't suck at deckbuilding, just shuffle up the edh decks and play them without edh rules.

No need to dumb it down further.

>but how do I balance them to the same power level?
Play them against each other by yourself. Be sure not to pick a favourite and always choose the best option for every step.
Kinda autistic but it works for me. Made 5 monocolour decks for my friends and tested them the same way. Each one focuses on the colours advantages and showcases it's gameplay. Got them hooked and now I have a new playgroup.
Same could work for Commander but deckbuilding would be a little more complex.

In my experience Erebos is pretty insane with all the mana doublers, etc

Make sure you have a fair amount of lifegain though, otherwise you can accidentally die to manlands and haste creatures coming out of nowhere despite all your removal and board wipes

I have a friend who's sort of new-ish at EDH, and he said today that he wants to build a "competitive" EDH deck, preferably UG. I recommended a lot of cancer to him but his mind appears to be set on Leovold. I'd like to know what you think the odds of Leovold getting banned here. Turn 2 Leovold into turn 3 Windfall / Day's Undoing / Puzzle Box sounds like it would very quickly put him on the RC's shitlist.

If you think the card is somewhat safe from a ban, I'll help him build the most cancerous Leovold deck imaginable.

Leovold is soooooo broken, and not just broken (other legal commanders are broken), but extremely unfun to play against

That said I doubt he'll be banned, because as I said, there are lots of broken commanders and cards that aren't banned

Retarded Sheldon has fucking cyc rift on his "watchlist" so I doubt this is even on his radar

>Make sure you have a fair amount of lifegain though
That's a good advice. I love trading life for cards a little too much and has been my demise in the past. What would you recommend besides the obvious ones like Exsanguinate, Consuming Vapors, Blood Tithe etc?
Recurring lifegain would be the best I think.

>Leovold is soooooo broken, and not just broken (other legal commanders are broken), but extremely unfun to play against
To be honest, I'd rather play against Leovold than something like Derevi.

See, I get that the deck building is going to be a pain in the ass, but after introducing him to the mechanics, I was hoping to convince him to get a precon, then slowly upgrade it.

Which commanders do you think personify their respective colours? I was thinking Polukranos could be pretty fun with a ramp package and some cheap fatties, while Endrek Sahr could make a pretty fun, albeit generic, monoblack deck.

When you teach new players, are there any mechanics you emphasize?

There's no way he isn't going to be banned.

While things have deserved to be banned for a long time, Leovold causes immense devastation, even on a budget. It's just a matter of time before he starts dominating metas, and Sheldon sees one in his playgroup, then he's going to be banned right away, along with Doubling Season.

Why? What is fun about having no cards in hand? What is fun about finally having an opener with 1-2 mana removal that can stop his turn 3 wombo combo only to draw him a card with said removal, then have that removal countered, THEN discard your hand

there's still a bunch of nonland permanents derevi needs in play to really lock everybody down, much more room for interaction, although I agree Derevi is frustrating too

At least you can interact profitably with what Leovold is doing. Remove him in response to a Windfall and if he doesn't win a counter war over this, the extra card he drew is irrelevant and you get to wheel your hand (negating the cost of spending a removal spell). And if he does resolve his wheel effect with Leovold in play, then you can concede. Game's over, better luck next time.

Derevi takes more work to lock the opponent but she's just so fucking hard to stop and frustrating to try to interact with.

gray merchant
bloodchief ascension
sangromancer, venser's journal (can be kinda meh)

i had a guy scoop in response to me swordsing his leovold when he windfalled

derevi is honestly the only commander i'd have banned completely. like, wotc just admit you made a mistake and tell people they can't play that shitty bird anymore

>card costs 2.5 mana
>casting removal costs around 2 mana
>combined, you spend 4.5 mana to kill derevi
>playing derevi from the command zone costs 4 mana (no card has to be spent)
>pretty much no matter what, you will have misplayed if you kill derevi

fucking kill yourself wotc

>Act of Aggression / Ray of Command a Leovold in response to a wheel
HNNNNNNNG

I understand the frustration, but why are you so salty? There are lots of ways to remove it, it's just unfortunate that they happen to be in Derevi's colours.

>letting him counter you back

because i shouldn't have to fill my deck with stupid ass anti-derevi (of which there are like 5) cards just because wotc is manned by morons

Have you read his post? He's not complaining that he can't remove Derevi, only that removing Derevi is generally a misplay because this fucker is coming back with an instant speed activated ability that isn't subjected to the commander tax whenever she wants.

I miss tucking, I really fucking do.

I like Word of Seizing in theory but it's just way too slow for me in practice. I guess that will usually depend on your meta and what you play against.

Maralen looks so good

Can't people just tutor up removal if they're not complete retards? It strikes me as the same type of card as Rhystic Study, where it's only good if you're playing against idiots.

>put prototype deck on tappedout
>get some comments
>seriously some of the worst advice ive ever seen
it's not even like they are suggesting things that might be ok
it's not even CLOSE

Link?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-01-17-die-die-die/#c2928049

Do Derevi players really put it into play as soon as they can for you to have to kill it?

>of which there are like 5
Darksteel mutation, Ixidron, Eidolon of Rhetoric, Nevermore, Prison Term, Arcane Labratory, Arrest. The rest are more niche, along the lines of control magic, vedalken shackles, and authority of the council/things that make it enter tapped, but I do see your point.

Holy shit I thought you were exaggerating. This is fucking baffling.

I just tutor up 1 CMC removal every time someone casts her.

Your wrong about rhystic though. That card is very strong even if everyone pays the one. Compare it to other taxing effects, it's the lowest CMC one there is and the choice given isn't real.

#
Sundial of the infinite lets you keep the tokens.
Illusionist's bracers and rings of brighthearth can let you copy his ability.

>Your wrong about rhystic though. That card is very strong even if everyone pays the one.
True enough. It's good even if everyone pays, it's only completely busted if no one pays.

get wurmcoil engine and duplicant
and poop on your friends
make sure you tell them that "feldon isnt even that good LOL"

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-01-17-die-die-die/#c2928049
Dear god, that's some retardation. I'm so happy no one comments on my shit.

Holy fucking shit dude

Any suggestions for my Rishkar deck? I think this guy is secretly insane

I'm looking to make a skeleton tribal deck with pic related at the helm. Are there any good card combos that would let me infinitely untap Skeleton Ship to rain volleys of -1/-1 counters upon my calcium-deficient opponents? I don't have any experience with infinite untapping outside of Green.

Are you high? Only dark steel mutation, ixidron, and control magic effects do anything against derevi.

You do realize you use his activated ability from the command zone (so no prison term), he doesn't need to be cast (so I don't know what the fuck your thinking with nevermore or arcane lab) and you want him on the field for his triggered ability, or you have something like crystal shard+winter orb set up for a lock (returning the bird to Cz instead of hand)

What is the card?

I don't know if this is flavor of the month bullshit, but I've grown to like Arjun some so I decided to build a deck around him. Tell me what you guys think of my build.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-good-boy-wheel-sphinx/

i am so fucking spooked

Easiest way is staff of domination with infinite mana, gained any number of ways.

Voidstone Gargoyle, Pithing Needle

:^)

>there's cheeky dolphin jumping out on the left and the skeltals are riding fucking sea turtles

that card just got a lot cooler in my book

That's better user.

But you can still cast derevi with the needle out.

>Which commanders do you think personify their respective colours?

>White: Avacyn
>Blue: Arcanis or Teferi (both versions)
>Black: Erebos
>Red: Krenko or Jaya
>Green: Molimo or Omnath

That's just from memory.

>When you teach new players, are there any mechanics you emphasize?
Each colour's strenghts and weaknesses so they get a feel for it. Let them find out what they like.
There is always a Dragon Fire Fag and an Edgy Demon Summoner in my experience.

>derevi player actually paying commander tax

lolnope, they'll just remove the needle

Meddling Mage

:^P

>Pithing Needle
why would a pissing needle help?

I want to run Derevi just so I can Skybind with Arbiter of the Ideal, should I rather use Roon? Maybe Rubinia because she's pretty

>Edgy Demon Summoner
Oh, that was me. I still have a deck that's filled with edgy nonsense and titty mice.

You know what, I could build Arcanis, Erebos, and Grenzo, Havoc Raiser. I'll just use distinctly t2 cards, build them with a very easy curve, use only basic lands, and let them get a feel for what each deck is going to offer. After that, if he's still interested, I figure I can let him use some of my more straight forward decks.

Thanks user, I appreciate it.

Staff of Domination, as well as a few small creatures like Horseshoe Crab

Look a Kraj lists, those are the king of tap manipulation

>want to build yidris
>all cards on EDHrec are pretty much wheels

I didn't want to build/play nekusar. Guess I gotta do this on my own

it forces derevi players to pay commander tax

>Rhystic study is only good against idiots

M8 if there was a 3 mana enchantment that said "your opponents spells cost 1 more to cast", it would be super strong, like the best tax effect ever

>If there was a 3 mana enchantment that said "your opponents spells cost 1 more to cast", it would be super strong, like the best tax effect ever

Would you settle for a creature?

That effects you too, and it's a lot more easily removed then a enchantment.

Not sure what you're trying to say here

I know. It's incredible. My play group is filled with people who poop on me, and then I see people like that.

So if you run a creatures only deck, your vryn wingmare is ALMOST as good for you as Rhystic study is for every deck, no restrictions whatsoever

Cool

>Effect hurts you too
>Doesn't work against creatures
>More vulnerable than rhystic.

I'm not sure if you understand what you are talking about.

Don't worry about it, you're far too stupid to follow this conversation.

lol forgot link tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rishkar-isnt-bad-i-swear/

Does anyone have experience building Grenzo, Havoc Raiser? I have a Kiki-Jiki I'm not using, and I was also wondering if there are any shenanigans I can pull off.

wasted trips

rhystic and wingmare are nowhere near comparable in power

>M8 if there was a 3 mana enchantment that said "your opponents spells cost 1 more to cast", it would be super strong, like the best tax effect ever
It would be strictly better than Rhystic Study in theory. But in practice, against the type of retards that play EDH, it would end up being worse. Because the faggots that play EDH don't understand that it's generally correct to pay the 1. I've seen players refuse to pay 1 just to BLUFF a counterspell or removal. Like seriously, they repeatedly let the Rhystic player draw cards for free, and when I sac a Mindslicer later on, I see they were sitting on lands and sorceries.

That's what I meant when I said Rhystic Study is good against idiots.

>creatures are more vulnerable than artifacts/enchantments

This shit needs to stop, you fucking idiots always go on how every nonblack/hexproof dies to doom blade and act like disenchant/naturalize aren't a thing. Fuck off

That's because you're not using the advanced filters.
Say, if you wanted to play Yidris storm, search for decks that use Mind's Desire/Grapeshot/Whatever the fuck storm uses

What do I look like, a poster on the Modern thread?

So hey, /edhg/, why did this not see more play? And is it bad in EDH?

Completely, objectively wrong.

Every deck prepares for creatures, and has multiple methods of dealing with creatures, not including combat. Creatures are the second most fragile type, followed closely by artifact creatures. Enchantment removal may be excellent, if you're running white or green. Otherwise? Enchantments tend to stick for a lot longer.

no one is saying artifacts/enchantments are impervious to removal numbnuts, but when you are comparing the permanent types, creatures are far easier to remove than artifacts/enchantments

I've been working towards the stupidest/most autistic deck for about half a year, and I finally hit enough lands to put it together.

When I started building this deck, I set myself two rules:

>1: ONLY foil cards
>2: No purchasing cards, everything needs to be obtained through trades

Probably wouldn't have taken so damn long, if I hadn't decided that this deck was going to be colorless.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kozilek-the-glaring-distortion/

Enjoy the shiny badness that is the pile of cards I managed to assemble.

Double strikan, extra combatan, cascade cascade cascade cascade

what did you trade for the foil karn?

Do you not realize that red, black and blue have no way to destroy enchantments on the battlefield outside of sinking like 7 mana into colorless removal and lol chaos warp.

Every color can get rid of creatures though.

Inb4 you start spouting bullshit about only 5 color decks being viable.

>reveal something really spicy
>table turns on you and kills you
thats why, my friend

>only green and white can deal with enchantments

You are fucking stupid

>everything traded
>foil karn

jesus

Fucking ages ago so I don't remember, I got it when the foil karn was at like $40.

That's not what he said. Reading comprehension.

>numerous board wipes in several colors
>creature removal rampant in most colors
>creatures also vulnerable to damage effects whereas artifacts/enchantments are not

Yeah, no. Not to mention, red, blue, and black can't do shit to destroy enchantments, and black and blue can't do shit to destroy artifacts.

STORM
T
O
R
M

mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-commander-20-entropic-uprising-upgrade

Is that really the only reason?

>Kozilek Wastes
>Foil Multiplier: 46.3x

im sure there might be more, but to me its the most pressing one

It's just too much life loss, especially when it's always worse than a Phyrexian Arena.