Would you, as a GM, allow players to craft a cure light wounds trap?

Would you, as a GM, allow players to craft a cure light wounds trap?

Other urls found in this thread:

paizo.com/threads/rzs2tz7x?Building-a-Reasonable-Tippyverse
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First of all I'd ask them why.
Then it depends on the setting.

yes.

why not

It should work against the undead, right?

Call the Half-Orkin man to come put down some anti-undead cure light wounds traps.

Yes but not a multi-use trap because multi-use trap abuse is cancer.

I just imagine someone stepping in a bear trap that heals them

A machine that casts cure light wounds? That sounds pretty fuckin' great.

Id make it the doormat to a base

>building a machine to steal magic directly from the gods

This never ends well

Sure as long as they know to not abuse the trap making rules I don't have a problem with it

This brings the question of what can be defined as a trap. Could this trap be detected by Detect Trap spells? If your players detected it, but couldn't figure out what it did, they would just avoid it, right?

Ah, the Tippyverse rears its ugly head again. If you want to delve indepth into the subject, look up Tippyverse, and then read paizo.com/threads/rzs2tz7x?Building-a-Reasonable-Tippyverse

Sure, but they'd have to:
>Make it into a large object so it cannot be moved, like a monolith.
>Create a corresponding monolith for cure disease.
>Have it open to the public
>Dedicate it to the cleric's deity by building a temple around it.
>Fit both with a self destruct mechanism in case the gods frown upon it.

I think they already had a dais of restoration or something like that way back in the stronghold builder's guide.

desu I think it depends on the setting and use.
Especially with magic-based traps it could make sense that more powerful expensive ones could last for multiple activations or until they are disenchanted. Like, think less fireball when someone enters the space and more an illusion concealing a pit or something more environmental like an unholy aura to prevent healing.
Mechanical traps should obviously require resetting in almost every case, just common sense.

I'll summarize the post. The poster posited a few additional limitations on the main economic breakers of the Tippyverse: High level casters and Fabricate traps.
>Casters
Casters of a high enough level to create Teleport Circles (or traps of teleport) existed only by declaration - each was a unique named NPC, and only a limited number of them existed. This placed an upper limit on the teleport circles.
>traps and magical items in general
Poster posited that the GP cost of these things included inherently magical materials (20-90% of cost). Since Fabricate can't create magic items, they extended it to any magical material, creating a required economic product that backed the currency and made the cities hold land. Apparently the material requirement extends to Teleport Circle, but also includes traps.

Of course this ignores that even benevolent wizards generally don't want to waste time making appliances while they could be furthering their mystical research.

Sure, but it has to be stationary and every use consumes an appropriate potion plus components to serve as a vector.

You want it to create a healing mist? One healing potion gets misted into the air.

You want it to shoot darts laced with healing potion? One healing potion plus one dart makes for one shot.

Fifth level feat (a bit more than 15% of the population will hit 5th or higher according to the post): Master Craftsman (Trapmaking), retrain third level feat to Craft Wonderous Item. No casters needed, just a +5 to the DC for each spell needed (PF core contradicts itself, as a Magic Device trap is not a spell completion or trigger item, which require a person to activate them, but a use-activated item. Therefore a Master Craftsman does not need spell knowledge).

its bard made so its arcana heals

>Five nights have passed since the dawn of the Decayed Sun.
>With fetid hands our once Proud and Mighty bash against our final stronghold, tear our great monuments apart, and trample into nonexistance artifacts of our ancestors.
>The Rotted do not merely end. They unmake even the smallest hint of our existence.
>And now as the buzz of necrotic energy draws ever nearer like the hum of a demented botfly, here we toil.
>Only a tiny fraction of our knowledge may endure this prophecized week. Perhaps none of it shall.
>We fling this desperate knowledge to thee, next Champions of Life.
>May you find strength in what little we have to offer.
>We make our graves here. And we shall not fill them alone.

Positive Energy traps could make for interesting worldbuilding.