The ancient evil is defeated and sealed away for eternity

>the ancient evil is defeated and sealed away for eternity
>only eternity turns out to actually mean several thousand years
>the great sorcerer king and his dark legions have awoken to find themselves in the middle of a spacefaring civilization

Would this setting work? What system would be best for it?

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=SenZar
dundaxiancodex.wikia.com/wiki/Home
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That certainly sounds awesome, I'd play it! Maybe a generic D&D and Dark Heresy homebrew system?

SenZar

the setting is pretty much 90s rogue trader

What the hell is SenZar?

lmgtfy.com/?q=SenZar

What happens when a bunch of metalheads make a D&D heartbreaker. It's actually pretty good.

>several thousand years
Exactly 1000. Zargothrax was sealed in 992 and released in 1992.

Don't know what was his objective in 992, though. The things he needed for that were unavailable back then.

He just wanted to take over Dundee

You have to hit JUST the right balance with how powerful magic is in order for it to work.
Too powerful and you question why they don't just magic away all the weapons or teleport to all world and military leaders and disintegrate them or how the magic users can even be hurt by non-magical weapons, too weak and it stretches believability on why they don't get bombed back into the magic age by modern fire power.

That's a question: If Zargothrax was defeated in 992 by the forces of Fife, why was he such a threat to Angus McFife XIII, who rules whole galaxies?

Well to be fair his original defeat seems to have more been a stalling tactic because his forces were too strong to face directly.
There was probably some magical mcguffin and heroic quest to unlock the ancient goddess's power of light or something. I figured that we're working on the assumption that such avenues have been mostly lost to the ages as science and technology replaced mysticism.

Being immune to non-magical attack is overpowered but you could have his minions able to resist everything up to and maybe including canon fire unless you catch them by surprise or something like that.
Magical illusions/shields could help with the issues of why modern man doesn't just shove a nuke up their ass. Teleportation and other magical travel could be available but maybe more for short distances or with great preparation and difficulty or pre-built routes for hopping to the other side of the globe.

Angus McFife XIII has more enemies. On the topic of Zargothrax, being in an interglobalized political situation where you and your legions are the sole providers of a very useful and unique service (magic) enables very different lines of attack compared to a situation where you're the only game in town aside than the kingdom of good guys and have to match them steel for steel. The kinds of dark bargains Zargothrax can strike in the far future, the kind of advantage he can gain from offering "Join me all ye scoundrels and we will feast richly off the coffers of McFife", make him threatening beyond his archaic starting forces

Tbh Angus XIII isn't so very organized, he supposedly rules the whole galaxy yet as the story begins he has obviously not even pacified the moon.

I think that rebellions would be somewhat commonplace in a galaxy wide empire, and that would give Zargothrax a foothold.

But his allies in that final war included a whole resurected army of the strongest warriors of earth that apparently had never lost a war before, An army of raging dorf led by their badass king, da fookin Hootsman and probably some other humies. Then again he dint have a magic dragon on his side like his ancestor did. Wonder what happened to that dragon actually.

>There was probably some magical mcguffin and heroic quest to unlock the ancient goddess's power of light or something.
That'b be the Amulet of Justice.

Adding to what the other anons have said, Angus XIII, I think that Angus XIII doesn't even know about Zargothrax's return until the very end. Mind you he's been busy rallying troops andfighting the other Chaos Wizard during all that time.
Zargothrax acts more sneakily in 1992 than in 992. He goes to another galaxy to get the Crystal Key and goes back on Earth undetected thanks to the war.

Is there a breakdown of the events of the two albums somewhere?

Wikipedia explains the storyline of both albums decently actually.

Anything more in-depth, or should I just go wind a copy of the lyrics and read those?

There is a wiki for the setting.

This one? dundaxiancodex.wikia.com/wiki/Home

Because that one's kind of hsit.

Sorcerer King and crew gets recruited by a Megacorp.
And so the great magic arms race begin.

That's the one, but apart from listening/reading the lyrics it's the best we got.

There is also a bit info on the setting in some interviews that the wiki covers.

In 992, yes. In 1992, he wanted to destroy the universe.

Get immediately absorbed by Chaos or Crusaded against or have the Inquisition on his ass.

The Ancestral Laserdragon was present during the battle on Mars, but was apparently destroyed there because Angus McFife XIII wasn't riding it when he rushed back to Earth.

The demon horde and or chaos wizards must have been fucking amazingly great to defeat this rogue's gallery of the universe's most badass motherfuckers. Woulnt have changed much because Zargothrax was down on earth with they key but still...

The death of the dwarf king hits the hardest.

Damn fucking right it does.

The rage of the dwarves is the best part of that song, too.

now insert something long and phallic in your jack ass

I think the good guys were winning even after the Spaceknights of Crell were destroyed again but the whole demon attack on Mars was a distraction.

I remember reading that the Astral Dwarves weren't on Mars, but fighting Zargothrax's demon army on Earth to delay the ritual.

The Goblin King had a Dragon mount too. This Dragon had a particularity, I think it was made of Crystal. Either way, that Dragon did something relevant during the battle of Mars. Anyone remember what?

>Gloryhammer is a Scot-Swiss epic power metal band
>Scot-Swiss

What the fuck, how did this happen? Are chaos wizards real?

Hoot is the greatest hero known to man.

>Russian
Come on, just use your innate hacking skills to find what you need.

A true Californian hero-slash-tyrant.

but the good, greek style of tyrant. like how conan became king just by killing shit.

>Zargothrax wins because the songwriter plays him

Also
>mfw the story contents of the third album were spoiled
Marked spoilers, but still.

Zargothrax did literally nothing wrong though.

Trying to destroy the universe might rustle some jimmies, though.
We do kinda need this universe to live.

>He doesn't know that "Space 1992: Rise of the Chaos Wizards" is a retelling of actual events.