Trying to find a ruleset I came across a while back using the Ivalice setting (races/jobs/etc)

Trying to find a ruleset I came across a while back using the Ivalice setting (races/jobs/etc).

I found this:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Roleplay/IvaliceAllianceTabletop

But the download link isn't working for me. Anyone have this file or know where I can find it or another Ivalice themed ruleset?

Other urls found in this thread:

giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?173958-Final-Fantasy-d6-(Complete-System)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bumping for OP because I too am interested. Ivalice as a setting is some of the best shit in Final Fantasy. I'd love to be able to play a game ala Vagrant Story with a small group.

If one can't be found, I might would be willing to try coming up with one, though I make no promises on quality.

Just play 4e DnD.

So because once I get an idea in my head for stuff like this and can't stop thinking about it afterwards, I have some general ideas for an Ivalice themed rule set.

Races: Hume, Bangaa, Viera, Nu Mou, Moogle, Seeq, and Gria. Maybe more? I feel like some are a bit redundant.

Jobs: Most jobs from Tactics/Advance/A2 available, no "advanced" jobs or anything like that, all are available from the start, but no job hopping - jobs are set. No racial restrictions either because fuck that noise.

Tentatively thinking about: No typical ability score system, instead you have the following primary stats: Strength, Magic, Vitality, Spirit, Agility, each one affecting secondary stats: HP, MP, Attack Power, Magic Power, and maybe others such as evasion/magic evasion, accuracy, critical chance, and others.

Each job starts out with some base skills (black mages start with fire/ice/thunder, white mages start with cure, etc). All classes will have some form of attacking (white mages won't just be heal/buff bots).

Each job has a list of abilities they can learn.

No leveling. Characters advance by spending experience points into whatever the player wants to develop, such as spending points to increase a primary stat, learning a new ability, etc.

Thoughts/additions? I enjoy doing stuff like this and am kind of excited at the thought now, but realize most fan-made games are utter trash (this would thus most likely be just for friends or for a very small interested group).

Problems: Translating obvious combat focused stuff to role playing interactions

Obviously, a black mage can use a fire spell to start a campfire or something, but yeah, not a lot of non-combat ideas unless I add those to a list of things a character can learn to do through experience points.

you're the annon who was looking for Final fantasy core rules?
Last time someone commented about a d6 system that seems ok for that

giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?173958-Final-Fantasy-d6-(Complete-System)

Magic doesn't have to have rp applications

Oh damn, I wish this were still available.

Honestly, use the first FFT's/WoL's stat system except with player-controlled stat growths instead of batshit ones, and modify Faith's use on damage spells for game speed's sake.

• Speed stat is flatly your turn frequency, no mod
• weapon x P.ATK = damage with weapon. This is a FIXED value so no calculation every round. You instead just roll against target's evasion.
• spell value x M.ATK = damage with spell. Faith modifies (see further).

Evasion:
Every target will have a front evasion, a side evasion and a back evasion value, where fewer and fewer factors are in play. If you use multiples of 5% in evasion, they can be represented by increments of +1 and just use a d20 if you want.
• Front evasion will include the base evasion value of your class, your shield's, and your weapon and accessory evasions if present
• Side evasion takes out the class element
• Back evasion will only use accessory-sourced evasion.

Faith:
In FFT, the 1-100 Faith value of a user and target will multiply BOTH incoming AND outgoing magic damage as if by percentage. This would be cumbersome as hell in tabletop. For STATUS effects though, it was a miss chance multiplier, with a starting chance based on the status intended. If you can boil that down to one roll (d100, or d20 if again you're fine working in increments of 5%), it'd work fine at tabletop.

I'd recommend just using accuracy to check damage spells too instead of multiplying. It's the same balance point, a little swingier.

Then since spell and weapon damage are fixed, actions resolve with singular rolls and hit point subtraction, while the game complexity goes to facing, movement and ability usage.

This is literally all there is to the action mechanic, unless you want to drag your balls across sandpaper to include comparative zodiac signs of targets.

Forgot to mention, Faith would also impact healing you could receive from magic, so it was very give-and-take for how high or low a character wanted it.

Also forgot Brave. You should forget Brave too, it wasn't implemented well like Faith. There is no reason not to be at max Brave except for the sake of finding occasional rare shit by moving to very specific tiles in the game with an otherwise useless ability equipped. They proved later on that there's nothing inherently broken about always-on reaction abilities anyway.

I like a lot of this, thanks user!

For damage, I had originally been thinking that weapons could have a roll range like normal DnD plus the user's attack power (which was modified by Strength), and spells could be based on a tier of dice strength (weak spells could be like d4, medium spells d6, strong spells d8, etc), and as your magic increased you gain additional dice rolls for each spells (so high magic would turn a 1d6 into a 2d6). All of the damage roll results could then be multiplied by 5 or 10 to scale it to the higher HP pool.

However, your idea with the fixed damages will probably be much simpler and can still be somewhat modified to suit my needs.

The jobs in Final Fantasy Tactics had alternative names and descriptions that could suggest the roles the player skills could have outside of combat, they were also malleable enough in order to allow the players to come up with different backstories and motivations for their characters, the roleplay would come naturaly if the characters and setting are detailed enough.

The setting is detailed enough, Ivalice has literaly different ages and political backgrounds to explore in game.

Take for example the White Mages, they were called priests, their healing and protective magic sometimes regarded as miracles, this could easily be used for roleplay, not to mention that they would be a priest of something, depending on what time period the game takes place in, a follower of Glabados during the 50 Years War, a priest of Iocus near the second Fall o Leá monde. They would not only be able to help people and have religious knowledge, but they could also have political influence through the use of faith.

Geomancers and Black Mages I am not sure, I have no information on their philosophy on the setting, but it would be easy to envision them as either worshippers or heretics towards nature, their skills outside of combat could involve tracking, using natural resources, harmoniously or bending nature to their will. Their magic could have different uses outside of battle, imagine a Geomancer sneaking into enemy camp and entangling their chariots wheels with Hell Ivy, preventing the enemy from using the chariots once the other players attack, or a Black Mage turning NPCs or other PCs into frogs in order to smuggle them into a place they shouldn't or couldn't go.

... continuing the long ass post ...

Knights, Dragoons, Squires, Monks, all of them have some kind of implicit purpose that can be played straight or even subverted, it's all a matter of creativity.
If you want to make a system out of it, you could estrapolate from the existing skill types, Action, Reaction, Support and Movement, those were in the game and can be addapted into whatever system you will use, but you can make new skills, say, Social Skills. The setting of Ivalice is always heavy on politics and scheming, you can just make the attributes clearer, a Knight or Samurai may be invited to negotiate with the enemy and have skills that take into account diplomacy and charisma, a Ninja or a Squire not so much.

You don't to make it a rigid system, just some vague guidelines and any player worth their salt can do a good roleplay.

I'll post a couple Finfal Fantasy rules I have saved.

So it might as well not exist.

FFd6
mega.nz
/
#!r4I1lY5Q!zz_nj1VY2qh3zdeGLjNl-_hkXxjvPbvIj7HZDY8059U

I was actually planning on making some other groups of stuff that players could spend experience points on, such as a skill list akin to DnD skills, "roleplaying" magic stuff such as scrying and other stuff, etc.

Failed to load all three?

Or you can stop trying to chain narrative to mechanics, because that is the same shotgun that 90% of failed RPG systems fellate and I have seen it work maybe once or twice over hundreds of examples.

The two parts work best when you compartmentalise them.

OP here, that wasn't me you were responding to.

I think a good solution is a separate group of non-job specific spells or magic in general that all casters can draw from, in addition to what said.