What's the youngest age that you would allow for a PC in a modern-ish setting where other PCs are going to be adults of...

What's the youngest age that you would allow for a PC in a modern-ish setting where other PCs are going to be adults of indeterminate age?

Is it at all magical or have fantasy elements? Three

Is it supposed to be realistic? Fourteen probably.

Depends on the game.
What ever is setting and thematically appropriate.
A game where you are cops? 18
A game where you are surviving the zombie apocalypse? probably six or so.
Also the rules for the game need to have rules related to playing children mechanically.

Adult Life will play a big part in what the characters interact with: 18 (or whatever is legal adulthood in the game's setting, it isn't the same throughout the world)
Not above, but game is fairly realistic: 14 ("high schooler" -- mostly an adult biologically. Mostly.)
Not the first, and the game includes magical elements: 8ish (spatial senses have kicked as have most stages of cognitive development so that the kid functions basically like an (ignorant) adult)

>Is it at all magical or have fantasy elements? Three
>Three

Orcs grow up fast.

Depending on the story, I think I could let someone go as low as 12. *Maybe* 11.
Tom Sawyer is 12, and Jake from the Dark Tower series is 11. It mostly just takes the right circumstances for it not to be retarded.

I could probably go as low as 10-11, but it'd have to be justified really well, and I'd watch them to make sure they're not being weird.

I actually would accept even younger, that just felt sufficiently low ball. If its a fantasy setting I'd definitely accept even a psionic fetus floatnig around its own fetus juice-bubble.

Double digits.

Depends on the game, but mostly around 16 if there's going to be action. 14 if it's just ERP

That's the default starting age of an aaracocra, actually. I think they start learning language from listening in the egg.

Current game I've got a 14 year old but he's sort of a chosen one hero.

We did have a 10 year old though.

So like 11, 22, 33?

It VERY depends.

Tutankhamen took office at the age of 9.
Mary Stuart at the age of 6.
So if we're talking "young noble and clique of advisors" anywhere in this range is fine.

Nightmare mode: Unborn
>Shapur II the Great, the tenth king of the Sasanian Empire, is the only known royal leader crowned in-utero. Following the death of Hormizd II. Legend shows his mother wore the crown on her stomach. In 325, Shapur II took control of the kingdom, ruling until his death in 269.

>flustered afghan girl.jpg

I'm somewhy very amused by this post

I'd say 7

Is there child labor?

If so then 12 at the youngest, otherwise 16-18

Really depends on the game. For a relatively light hearted supers game I'd probably allow this.

Psychic embryos.

If the age is on the clock...

Whow, watch the edge their.

Pitch me an idea, and I'll think of it.
The only character concepts I veto out of the door are silly characters, characters without real flaws, furry shit, ponyshit, Tumblrshit and half-assed clichés/fictional character ripoffs (all from too much experience).
Of course, if you're pitching something I've only had bad experiences with, like "an assassin" in a low-key game, you might be forced to change some elements of your character, but I'd still allow the elements that made the character tick if they were something else than "he kills people like in Assassin's Creed".
If your character isn't furshit, ponyshit, a knockoff, a flawless hero or an unconstructive edgemaster, I'll think of it no matter what age you pitch.
Age isn't a problem with roleplaying characters from what I've experienced - there are a lot of other and much more common things that are infinitely more damaging, for example just plain lazy, silly or uncooperative characters.
What matters isn't the character's age, race, gender, ethnicity or whatever the fuck some people think gets "creepy" or "special snowflake". What matters is the approach, and I've noticed that a lot of people who blame specific types of characters tend to have an unconstructive approach to roleplaying themselves.
Welcome to the Internet and enjoy your stay. I should have welcomed you right after you came, but I was busy earlier today.
If you think that's edgy, you've yet to see anything.

Youngest I've played is 12, during a Fallout game.

Wild child barbarian sort, fought with cunning brutality and brutal cunning. Was also dumb as a brick, and talked to her "magic" shovel.

I explained her unnatural strength of 9 as a birth mutation, since her mother and father had both been exposed to FEV long before she was born, and both had came away with "beneficial" mutations.

Thankfully my group is pretty much anti-lewd, although jokes do get thrown around from time to time. She did beat someone half to death during a "civil" bar room brawl for groping her, even if it was the result of a string of unfortunate critical fails.

Wait...why is a psionic fetus edgy? It's silly, yeah but the idea of a psionic fetus isn't edgy in and of itself. Unless its backstory is like weird abortion shit.

Modern-ish? 16 y.o.

Mind control leans towards either edgy or magical realm very frequently, I can see how somebody would come to such conclusion.

No it fucking doesn't.
Unless you only ever game with freaks.

If you're not gaming with freaks they would not get into mind control in the first place.

I mean, this is only true if you're talking mind control beyond Jedi Mind Trick levels. The problem isn't so much that it exists and more that it opens a lot of doors that are best left closed if you go anywhere past generic befuddle.

If you wouldn't be totally cool with a psionic fetus flabergastingly smart bursting out of its mother's uterus while she was trying to get it aborted and murdering everybody in the abortion clinic before floating around in a quest for knowledge in his own fetus juice-bubble having to prey on pregnant women to survive you're a shitty GM.

If your system doesn't allow your players to play with said creature it is a shitty system.

Stealing this for a villain.