What makes Eldrazi (due to lore, not in-game emchanics) so strong?

What makes Eldrazi (due to lore, not in-game emchanics) so strong?

And perhaps: How is this reflected in mechanics?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UnURElCzGc0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Eldrazi are things that do not obey normal physical laws and have a corrosive effect on reality around them, so fighting anything beyond a spawn can be difficult
Side effects of eldrazi presence includes, but are not limited to, spontaneous gravity reversal, possession, insanity and dissolution of matter

This is why they had annhilator, an eldrazi attack would destroy everything around it by the sheer concentration of eldrazi rather than the actual physical might of the creatures present, which is nonetheless substantial

The fact that what you see isn't the Eldrazi itself, but a fraction of the entity itself - and said entity is beyond the reach of anyone, due to being outside the plane itself.
The best way to picture it is to imagine a world of two dimensional figures living on a piece of paper. That is all they know, all they can experience. A very few are able to go to other pieces of paper, but they're still 2D.. Then a three dimensional creature arrives and places the tips of its fingers on the piece of paper, its hand casting a shadow over it.
That is what it is like to fight an Eldrazi. You are fighting shadows and fingertips, while being smudged out of existence and your world is being ripped apart, and at most you can give it a papercut.
But somehow they managed to make 3D into 2D and murder it because stupid plot decisions

I feel like they're just what happens when life manages to come into being in the blind eternities, rather than an actual plane.

What I want to know is how does Bolas compare in terms of ability.

The way I see it is the eldrazi can be bound to a plane through the hedrons. Jace and co took this to its logical extreme where they amped the power up enough to pull not just the fingers but the entire creature into the plane of Zendikar (bonds of mortality ) then they surged fall of the Titans for yes

They're outside the five colors of Magic: the Gathering's magic system. A lot of magic simply fails to affect them, and they can pull out abilities that mages simply have never experienced before.

Furthermore, the three eldrazi titans are just extremely powerful existences. They are tremendous and terribly mighty, Kozilek was able to beat down Lorthos the Tidemaker (an incredibly large and ancient sea monster) with nothing but his own sheer bulk.
They also hold unique powers that simply defy convention in dealing with them. Ulamog disintegrates everything he turns his attention towards, leaving no possible defenses. Beyond that, he's impervious to normal offenses. Kozilek distorts time and space and cannot even be attacked directly. Emrakul passively broadcasts a planar-wide mental assault that converts forces to her side.

And Eldrazi drones come in limitless numbers, the true Eldrazi body will just keep spawning them over and over until the plane is consumed.

Ugin's planar binding glyph yanks them into realspace. The Blind Eternities is not another spatial dimension, it is just the domain between planes.
Ugin's analogy is that they're more like land-dwelling creatures while we live in the ocean. We see their hands plunging into the water, but we don't perceive the full figure above it. The planar binding glyph latches onto those hands and pulls, hard.

Glub Glub motherfucker.

They should have brought a snorkel.

Incoming headcannon: The Eldrazi are ancient planeswalkers that, like Ugin, grew beyond the constraints of the 5 color system. Then they just kept getting more powerful and weirder, almost becoming forces of nature themselves.

Really though their just a metaphor for the outside world affecting and changing magic the gathering over time. Worst case scenario, wizards cancels mtg, and uses the eldrazi to end the story. Best case scenario, we get 3(three!) brand spanking new colors of mana. Emrakul could be purple, Kozilek could be yellow, and Ulamog could be orange.

Sounds familiar

youtube.com/watch?v=UnURElCzGc0

I want to be a yellow Planeswalker so fucking badly. I don't even know what yellow would do, but I want it.

Highly critical, scientific, joyful, and cowardly.

Probably lots of win more effects, and very efficient cards that return to the hand. I'd put it between green and white on the color chart. Maybe throw in wither as well. Bee stings and all that.

The big thing is that drain mana from everything, so basically everything they touch crumbles to dust or is corrupted beyond redemption.

They're powerful because Wizards needed a villain, and market research showed that the kids these days like Cthulhu. But those same kids aren't getting their mythos fiction from authors that actually understand how to write cosmic horror. That's good though, since Wizards' writers don't understand how to write it either, much less understand that by codifying cosmic horror into a set of rules that can be played at a table it neuters all the appealing aspects of cosmic horror except for visual design.

That and they have no real characterization or motive. A game with only eldrazi in it would be boring. No one would ever get sad, or worry. It would be boring. Hey I wonder if the eldrazi are older, more advanced generations of phyrexia? Could new phyrexia become an eldrazi?

/thread

All is Dust is what happens to planes when Ulamog is at full power. Entire realities cease to exist

Mortal minds are corrupted and expanded to infinite degrees under Emrakul's loveless caress

So an orange card would be something like:

{2}{O}{O}{O}
Sorcery
Your opponent selects a card from their deck
and physically destroys it.
Gain 10 life, and exile ~this.

>orange
>yellow
>purple

Kozelik's merely presence causes time to shatter, and the laws of physics to contradict themselves. Your entire existence is it's plaything

No it would be

2{O}{O}
Kys

So a purple card could be something like:

{2}{P}{P}{P}
Each players gain 20 life, and reveal the top 10 cards of their library. Each player may then put any number of permanent cards revealed by their opponent into play under their control.

That card is literally fucking retarded

>Posting a noose on /tg

Ok. Maybe you know something I don't. How about pink, lavender, and indigo?

How about you just stop posting

Phyrexia is too colored and always has been for that.
Hell, Old Phyrexia wasn't really monoblack. It was green/black/white in that it was GB and WB with a black leader and stuck on a literally monoblack plane. One could argue for a bit of blue somewhere in there other than the plane itself.

Just keep the Phyrexians, way better. Eldrazi are just way too op lore wise. You can't stop them.

Except two were killed with fire and the last put itself in the pokemoon

They aren't strong at all, at least the neo-eldrazi aren't

Eldrazi are just space jellies who's entire gimmick is "you cannot possibly understand us, we can go anywhere we like and you can't stop us", which is awful compared to how much history is behind the Phyrexians

They were also defeated by a couple of badly written, tumblr-bait characters who's actions may have far reaching consequences that end up screwing with multiple planes in the future

God I wish Zendikar had been completely eaten, having 'two of the greatest threats to the existence of the entire multiverse' being re-introduced then stopped within the space of one set was just pathetic

Except, y'know, Mirroden and anywhere else with a lot of artifacts.

Nope. Colorless, colorless, and colorless.

I've personally gone with the headcanon that the Eldrazi are a combination of improperly formed planes and a deliberate, natural system in the multiverse used for recombining and recycling planar energy.

I figure they happened when a plane was being created and got fucked up, and basically are the planar equivalent of a prion. They're misfolded proteins that can spread their state, influencing new planes, Emmy being the biggest example of this.
HOWEVER, they also serve a valuable role in the multiverse-recombining existing planes and mana into new stuff. First Ulamog comes in and eats everything, stripping the plane of mana and leaving it all up in the air as a a bunch of raw creatia. Then, Kozilek starts warping reality, taking all the raw materials and factory resetting them to be condusive to new creation, along with doing all sorts of time shenanigans to basically undo the plane's existence. Once there's a big raw ball of fertile ground, Emrakul shows up and takes all that matter and mana and turns it into actual life, or the possibility of it. When she does that on existing life, it makes bad times.

This is why Emmy pokeball'd herself at the end of EMN. Not a lot she can do without her bros to do prep work.

I know they were supposed to be lovecraft inspired but this sounds a lot like Ulamog = Azathoth, Kozilek = Yog-Sothoth, Emrakul = Shub-Niggurath.

She's my wife that's how.

>tfw your homeworld sucks so hard even Emrakul feels bad for the residents and fucks off

>She
Emracool aint not a brother, slim jive. When he does pop, the whole shop just slaps and melts. Fast talkers stepping too hard, what for to think they can beat his sideways jig and flip it. His pants roll.

>Eldrazi
>strong in lore

lol fireball

The Raven Man inside the Chain Veil (or however that works) said Emrakul was the creator and destroyer of reality.

Emrakul is probably strong because she is Literally God.

I think Ulamog and Kozilek were just her largest creations and personal envoys to prepare a plane for whatever she needs. The Titans would "plow the fields". Ulamog would destroy everything on a plane, then Kozilek would smooth it over into bismuth. We don't know what Emrakul does with a plane at this point since the story has never let that happen.

My favorite Emrakul quote: "They were always my pieces, Jace. I'm just tired of playing."

What jive you spittin', Turkey?
The Aeons Hip is the finest honey this side of the sightless stars.
Check the good book of the aeons hip, and her feminine groove will make you wish for younger days!

It doesn't really matter since Eldrazi are weak against friendship.

whats kiora up to now that this went down?

About equivalent to ulamog, the weakest. He had the ability to eat the mana of an entire planet (though was stopped short by ajani but whatevs). Bolas' true powers are his resources in physical mana reserves, experience from tens of thousands of years of battles, and large number of pawns.

Being a shitty cards.

Dunno, something about her mermaid friend and rebuilding the sea?

I want to be a pink planeswalker spreading love and joy...

Being the most underwhelming possible concept for the least-explored color combination.

But "underwhelming" really sums up all the post-Lorwyn lore pretty neatly.

I have a play mat of this art. Probably one of the coolest art pieces from the newer sets.

Nissa cast Channel, Chandra cast Fireball.

I hate that superfriends won by bullshit.
But I love that art, cause every time I look it I can't help but wonder how the titans aren't noticing these fucking rainbow beacons of mana, and how, if they did notice, a single glance would send the entire super team to oblivion.

It's not that bullshit it was perfectly justified and it's a feat that can't even be replicated off Zendikar.
Because Zendikar is the only plane where Nissa has full contact with an arbitrary amount of leylines and can draw on all of Zendikar's power, which has been repeatedly established as the strongest plane with the strongest mana.

Except they bullshitted an Eldrazi in the very next block too.

No they didn't, faggot. Emrakul emrakuled herself.
When they tried to pull the same shit, Nissa got 3 and a half leylines before realizing that even if she had ALL of the leylines, Innistrad's complete power is not enough to kill Emrakul. Zendikar is unique.

"The eldritch horror commits suicide" is bullshit, user.

It didn't commit suicide, though. It put itself in a chrysalis called the moon, until the stars are right.

i read the innistrad stories after hearing about this shit and honestly i'm surprised by how amicably nahiri and sorin still get along
>you tortured me for millennia and destroyed my homeland, so I'm going to NOT kill you and instead just crucify you until you pull yourself together and undo it
>you are trying to kill me and destroyed my homeland, so I'm going to kill you, lol jk ima just banter at you and then go for an incredibly slow kill instead of chopping your head off
ten bucks says the next time they show up in lore they make peace with each other / being the scions of planes that didn't actually die after all, and go back to their daddy/daughter play

They're oldwalkers. They hate each other with unending burning passion, but they cannot help but posture and monologue at each other. It is the old way.

To be honest, in the old days chopping a walker to pieces was basically useless, and pain was much more efficient

Sticking a blender in their brain works pretty well.

-t. Yawgmoth.

In all fairness, that Yawgmoth's fetish.

Yawgmoth needs to be kinkshamed until he kills himself.

He wasn't?

I feel like being asong the lines of the Eldrazi should never be killed off, no matter the setting.
Fought and maybe even hurt, sure. Driven from this reality and banished back to whereever they came from, yes. But actually killing them robs them of a lot of their mystique and uniqueness. They can't exactly reliy on their charisma, personality or plans to make them stand out, so their unique disposition is the only thing that actually makes them interesting.

>the eldritch horror did something eldritch
>this is bad

You fucking spaz.

Now I wanna see what it'd look like if two planeswalkers did it and then delivered the baby in the Blind Eternities and what that baby would look like.

Nothing, they were pretty easy to beat

What should have happened.

>Ugin "You fucked Tarkir for this insight; Don't kill the Eldrazi"
>Jace "Nah fuck you lol"

>Ulamog, Kozilek killed as the Gatewatch know them
>Titans themselves freed from Zendikar with the equivalent of broken hands
>leave for the depths of the Blind Eternities, all planes now at risk
>Gatewatch's biggest failure and driving force to be better

>Jace "Where did I go wrong tho???"
>Ugin "Get fucked"

>Paper Mario: Planeswalker

>rebuilding the sea
>look, I fucking told you, you can't use water as bricks

>aint not
you are whiter than milk

In all honesty based on Emmy's cryptic bullshit at the end of EMN, this is probably what's going to happen in the future.

>Hey guys, we've gotten some news from Innistrad that Emrakul is acting up, lets go check it out.
>OH FUCK THERE ARE MORE OF THEM.
>smug ugin in the corner.

>Paper Mario: The Gathering
Sounds like the coolest shit ever. I would play it. Chaos Confetti could be a boss.