What do you guys think of the Pillars of Eternity setting and its potential?

What do you guys think of the Pillars of Eternity setting and its potential?

With PoE2s imminent announcement I got the urge to replay the first and it got me thinking. Some aspects of the lore are pretty fucking interesting whilst others fall flat; though I guess this is a thing with almost anything. So I ended up pondering about its potential as a long-lived setting for use outside of one or two CRPG revival games.

I found it kind of grim and boring, with silly naming.

And I don't like psionics in my fantasy games.

>I found it kind of grim and boring, with silly naming.
Seconded. Surprised they could make a game feel so lifeless, intended or not.

Bland

Hopefully the dreadfire archipelago can make it feel less dull

Yeah, it's weird. The game is packed with some cool ideas, but it just feels so dull for some reason.

And this coming from the guys who brought Baldur's Gate and Planescape to life so ably.

I agree, it's boring. Standard medieval or early renaissance fare, except the Gods are fake and reincarnation exists.

>And this coming from the guys who brought Baldur's Gate and Planescape to life so ably.
No it isn't. One or two guys from the old Black Isle were on PoE, and they didn't make a huge amount of difference here.

>the Gods are fake

Are you fucking kidding me?

>poe: gods are fake
>fr: gods are real and fucking about in everyone else's life
>krynn: gods left because of some asshole but decide to come back to help
My favorite is still probably Greyhawk: the gods are real but can't be arsed to give any shits about you.

I think the neatest thing about PoE is highlighting its pseudo-scientific approach by having a realistic, extended timeline based on literal tens-of-thousands of years of evolution and change/migration of species. Still haven't gotten around to playing it since every time I get character build advice it seems that just maxing 3/18 is the best way to do anything.

Garbage, boring and have too verbose for its own good.
Many of its races can't find a place for themselves and don't add anything but take a lot out of the experience.
Orc race is fine but the god retards race is too stupid considering the plot itself.

Setting is mediocre, what really prevented me from enjoying it were the game mechanics.

The stat point system made every character feel very samey or lackluster. The harder difficulties just made things damage sponges.

Also psionics are Meh.

Doesn't matter how you do it, Ixamitil Philosopher is objectively the best background.

Man, that st ligature is inexplicably aggravating

One thing I did like was the way every stat had some use to every character. Might being mental and physical strength, Intelligence determining size of AoE's and all that. It did make you feel like real people rather then "I'm a wizard so I can't carry shit."

I need to go back and play it again because I'm really loving Tyranny, but I remember that I was so fucking bored despite the interesting theological lore.

The combat wasn't great either; the singer guy was really annoying to use, especially when his buffs weren't that evident and the gun was crap. And everything just looked really generic, even though it was all original stuff. Maybe it was just that the little paper dolls that you control in the game all wear the same 5 pieces of armor just colored differently. But there was seriously something lacking in the writing too.

I'm glad someone else feels this way.

The problem for me was that the majority of conversation options that used Might basically had you pick the problem up with your bulging muscles, Perception made you a snarky little shit and some others I forget.
For a game that prides itself of interactive conversation, choice and role-play, it felt limiting. That said it's a video game so I can understand the constraints.

I'm gonna replay the game.

What's the best build for a cipher?

Kill ẏourſelf, pleb.

I really liked this as well.

On the whole I honestly loved Pillars of Eternity. I'm just getting into Tyranny now.

It's also pointing out that there's also Lords of the Eastern Reach, the Pillars of Eternity board game, which is really fucking good.

It's an unusual citybuilding card game where you're assembling your settlement and army but can also recruit heroes to go into the dungeons or the wilderness to fight monsters. There's a lot of card variety and it's all built around a really interesting resource mechanic, and on top of all that it has a campaign book with unusual scenarios and variant rules you can play. For a tie in game, it was a lot better than I expected.

Ciphers got nerfed hard. I played one in the later patches and all you're going to be 'casting' throughout the game is the same low level knockdown 'spells'. There is not enough energy generated to use the bigger ones and nor they are powerful enough to use in place of knockdowns.
I recommend a druid or a priest (that one comes into power late).

Yeah that's a fake screencap.

>except the Gods are fake
The gods are fake in the sense that they didn't pop into creation at the start of the universe, but are constructs of a previous civilisation. It doesn't make them less real, it just undermines their status as divine creatures. Shit, plenty of the gods in Baldur's Gates setting are just dudes who ascended, no diffrent from the ones in PoE, so why is this so bad? Saying it somehow's an american internet atheist's wet dream is a ridiculous argument, when did atheism become the fucking meme anyway? Are we all supposed to be deeply religious catholics for the memes now?

I coundn't bring myself to even complete the first act. It felt so generic and dull. Paired with super clunky combat and mechanics, and vancian magic, and obscene amount of your typical fantasy bullshit text, it's just too much.

I loved Tyranny, though. Beat it five times. It's just so much better. The Bronze Age vibe is cool, the player's actions have immediate AND long-term impact, the characters are memorable. Mechanics are still clunky but way better. Can't wait for expansions.

>vancian magic

Those words don't mean what you think they mean.

I don't care what they mean. Magic in PoE is bad both by itself and in execution, and those mechanics should have died long ago.

My favorite is Futurama.

God night be real, and it might guide us in extremely subtle ways, while neither confirming or denying its existence, or maybe there's just a really powerful sentient nebula that likes to play pranks on foul mouthed robots.

Combat was kinda clunky, the story wasn't bad bit I couldn't finish the expansion because there was a bug somewhere in one of the later quests in the second half that I never went back to see if they fixed.

Also, those gods are dicks.