Warhammer Fantasy General

Warhammer Fantasy General: Bretonnians are Better Edition

>Previous Thread
Kindly no End Times or Age of Sigmar. If that is your cup of tea, please go elsewhere, especially if you're just going to shill or troll. For all intents and purposes, it's not the same universe.

>1d4chan
1d4chan.org/wiki/Category:Warhammer_Fantasy

>Newbie Introduction to Warhammer Fantasy (Download, start reading at page 174 for the story and all the races)
mediafire.com/download/i330182xo9b1hsi/Rulebook (Hardback).pdf

>Third Party Miniature Manufacturers
pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk

>List of Warhammer recommended proxies
the-ninth-age.com/lexicon/index.php?lexicon/462-the-9th-age-miniature-library/

>Tomb Kings Range reborn!
tabletop-miniatures-solutions.com
indiegogo.com/projects/tms-undying-dynasties-army-release#/

>Bretonnia range reborn!
indiegogo.com/projects/tms-kingdom-of-equitaine-army-release

>Fimir range reborn!
krakongames.com/product-category/miniatures/fomorian/

>Warhammer Wikis
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki

>Resources (Armybooks, Supplements, Fluff, Crunch)
pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S
pastebin.com/0e6RuQux

>Endhammer
1d4chan.org/wiki/Endhammer

>9th Age
the-ninth-age.com

>Warhammer Online: Return of Reckoning (Alpha)
returnofreckoning.com/

>Total War: Warhammer
store.steampowered.com/app/364360/

>End Times: Vermintide
store.steampowered.com/app/235540/

>Mordheim: City of the Damned
store.steampowered.com/app/276810/

>Bloodbowl 2
store.steampowered.com/app/236690/

>Man O' War
store.steampowered.com/app/344240/

Other urls found in this thread:

liberfanatica.net/Tilea_Estalia/Spears_of_Maiden_Colour.pdf
tinstargames.weebly.com/uploads/1/2/0/2/12026323/swords_of_the_south_bm_2016.pdf
amazon.com/Patch-Squad-Inquisition-Warhammer-Sigmar/dp/B01EW0R2CC/ref=sr_1_4?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1485327866&sr=1-4&nodeID=7141123011&keywords=warhammer
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What are the rules for Drowning in WFRP 2e?

I'm looking at the rulebook and can see the Suffocation rules, but are there encumbrance rules for drowning? For example, does heavy armor make swimming more difficult? Can you shed trappings/armor/encumbrance points in order to escape drowning?

There are in-depth rules for it in the Warhammer Companion, I think in the river life section.

First for Tilea
liberfanatica.net/Tilea_Estalia/Spears_of_Maiden_Colour.pdf

Second for Estalia

tinstargames.weebly.com/uploads/1/2/0/2/12026323/swords_of_the_south_bm_2016.pdf

>Liber Fanatica is back up

Thank fuck.

"Sorry, my horse is a bit racist."

"No-no problem."

"Yeah man-thing not worry-fear."

"HOLY FUCK SOMEONE GET THESE GOD DAMN RATS AWAY FROM ME!"

Zombies are coordinated enough to use guns?

How do you play with Omens?

The first spell of the Lore of the Heavens in WFRP 2e is "Omen," which allows a wizard to divine the future... How much information should I give a player during an omen?

Clues. Different futures, misleading ones and true ones all mixted up.

Don't give any information to them straight. Anything you give should be vague - a sense of danger, a feeling of dread, a faint current of hope - or something that has to be interpreted. Instead of saying 'the undead will attack the Garden of Morr,' have a vision of a skeletal raven landing on a gravestone and rotting dead hands reaching through the bars of an iron fence to try and get inside of something.

They're zombie pirates. He's probably just using it as a club.

When in doubt tell them a mighty empire will be destroyed

>Have 30 Intelligence
>Cast Omen
>Assume the opposite of whatever the GM says because there's a 70% chance that it's wrong

Or even worse

>Have 50 Intelligence
>Cast Omen
>Cry

Omen is a terribly designed spell and it's probably better that you rewrite it.

It seems to work exactly as it should.

I was wondering about this. Seemed too punishing.

What I'm thinking is degrees of success like from Call of Cthulhu 7.

>Intelligence is 30. You roll a 29.
You get a vague sense of dread (maybe give them Sixth Sense for one in-game hour).

>Intelligence is 30. You roll a 15.
Some weird vision. Taking the Garden of Morr example: you see a Raven behind a locked gate, a skeletal hand reaching through the bars for it.

>Intelligence is 30. You roll a 5.
Something very pertinent to the quest -- like you have a vision of zombies attacking the Priests of Morr.

Have you taken advantage of the death of the game to homebrew any of the rules?

As a new Bret player, for a 1500-2k points game... is it worth taking Questing & Grail Knights? I honestly want more heavy Peasants, so I"m thinking that both units would be too point heavy.

Also do Bret players advise just keeping to 5 units for Questing and Grails? I never see units of anymore than 5 at a time?

Well... not with that attitude.

Follow your dreams user.

Grail Knights? Yes, though you best be careful with them as your opponent will throw all its magic and shooting at them whenever possible and turn your unit into a point sink.

I never found a real use for Questing Knights. Sure they have Great Weapons but they also strike last, have less armour and cost more. If you want a unit to stick in combat for more than a single charge I'd just buy a tonne of Men at Arms.

I'd also recommend having at least 6 to form a Lance, maybe a couple more if you want to throw a Damsel in there.

ehh I don't think Questing knights...cause of the great weapons... can have the "lance" formation? Am I wrong?

> Tell them the Warhammer world is ending...

I see Warhammer Quest is getting another expansion.

Does anyone here own a copy? I just wanted to know how infested with AoS shite it was. I used to love the old version and Heroquest but I hate AoS's lore and without going into too much detail I want to replace all the non-WHFB heroes with an appropriate equivalent.

Lance formation can be used by knights of any stripe. Actual lances aren't needed. The rules don't represent it, but you should imagine it like the unit has wedged itself into the foe, the 'tip' of a lance that pierces an enemy.

Tomb King player here.

So what books would I benefit from read, fluff wise, besides the Core book and Army book?

Any WHFRP books with any information? Liber Necris?

The Nagash series. Gives you a look into what the Nehekharans were like before they got boned.

What would you even do with heavy peasants? They've still got horrible morale and will break before even seeing battle.

I read the first two and I will read the last one. Nothing in 1st or 2nd edition of the Roleplaying game?

I saw a guide to the Empire, Bret, Kislev in the OP, is there one with good info on Estalia and/or Tilia and the Boarder Princes.

Never had a group interested in the RP, but I just want the Fluff.

Silver tower ain't bad.

Man I like old WHFB but man the AoS hate is real here huh?

Lure of the Liche Lord, second edition WFRP.

That elf has a very spankable ass.

They can surprise you. In one game I had a group of Men at Arms take a Saurus Cavalry charge, break and chase them down into a Saurus block, break them and chase them into a unit of Salamanders, who they then killed. They did better than my knights in that game.

Well I can't speak for anyone else here but yes I do quite dislike AoS lore.

However, the rules have potential and I think Warhammer would have made a good skirmish game so on that front I quite like AoS.

>>AoS lore
What's that?

But in all seriousness, Warhammer already had a skirmish game. But back when AoS was just rumours I thought it would have been a small scale game based on the Sigmar book series. With fewer models as fights were smaller, outside of the huge battles with Chaos and Nagash.

Yeah Warhammer Skirmish was alright but it was always a side-show to the main game and for that was unfortunately hidden away from most people. Updating it in a hardback wouldn't have hurt either.

We'll see what the second edition (4th?) of the Generals Handbook offers before I completely write off AoS.

Something that I really like about WFB is that it seems to make sense. It feels like a grounded world in a way I can't describe, where most fantasy settings seem full of vagaries

The early writers were all historians.

It wasn't until those faggots who grew up playing the game got hired as writers that it all went to shit. But as much as they were able to run amok in 40k, their touch was always light with Fantasy.

What they did with AoS is basically what they did with 40k.

It certainly has over the top elements, but there are a lot of things keeping it grounded. Its politics, strategy of armies, relations between foreign and domestic powers, etc. Helps that it doesn't go so over the top where the newest heroes are going into space, becoming Super Saiyans and fighting Space Satan or whatever. It's a setting where the rules matter, and adding things in for 'rule of cool' often detract from it rather than add to it.

Look what I found.

amazon.com/Patch-Squad-Inquisition-Warhammer-Sigmar/dp/B01EW0R2CC/ref=sr_1_4?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1485327866&sr=1-4&nodeID=7141123011&keywords=warhammer

Nagash series for background, its pretty mediocre though.

But read the Gotrek & Felix book where they hung with Khalida. That book is great.

I don't think they were really in anything else.

All of us hate all of the lore. Most of us hate all of the lore, some have elements they like.

Almost all of us really hate the new models. There's mixed opinions on the Sylvaneth stuff, one guy seems to have a Fyreslayer boner, nobody likes Sigmarines.

>>its pretty mediocre though
I'll admit the first book has its problems with the constant shifting between 'rise of Nagash/Nagash has arisen' but they were still pretty good books.

Now Sundering, that was almost salvageable.

Right. You can imagine a normal guy going about his day in the Warhammer setting. Getting some news fresh from the printing press, grumbling over the Kislevite riffraff brought in to act as labor for merchant vessels that are now just brawling around the docks, treating himself to a mug of dwarven ale.

Someone who grew up as a fanboy got hired then fucked the continuity sideways?

Mediocre isn't bad.
Its just when there's nothing that really grabs you, gets you excited, makes you want to experience it again.

That's the problem with /v/ and /tv/ folk. If its not 10/10 masterpiece they think its shit. There's varying degrees of quality to works, something has to be completely abhorrent-like Age Of Sigmar-before you should shy others away from it.

One of the things I liked best about the Ambassador Chronicles was how the Knight's Panther character insulted the embassy guards due to their shit performance in an exercise where they had to run around the city five times without breaking a sweat, which the knight did while in full plate.

He said that their faces were redder than a Tilean's ass. Prejudice is a good thing when it comes to world building, or at least I think so.

Fair enough I suppose. I was still pretty hyped when shit was getting real with Nagash forging his crown and getting his shit rekt by Alcadizzar.

Nagash books suffer from being typical gw drivel
Lure of the liche lord has some titbits and liber necris is a must read

Just the fact that that insult exists shows how in-depth the world can be. You have one people over here, and another people over there, and the people over here have developed their own ideas about what the people over there are like, and have worked it into slang and insults. In one short story, an Imperial told a Bretonnian merchant to 'stick to making cheese and seducing married women' after tasting his wine.

Once you try looking at any other fantasy universe and seeing how at best insults are probably some made-up word meant to sound unique, it just won't feel the same.

I have a question for all the lorefags.
how exactly are non-athel loren wood elf forests like?

Total warhammer just makes external forests into level 1 outposts that you use for mining amber.

This.

Its a very European thing to imply that every other country are sheepfuckers.
Nobody usually does it in fantasy though.

Sometimes magical, sometimes not. You're more likely to get pincushioned by elf arrows than get flayed by the branch of a mighty oak.

Generally in Warhammer lore the Wood Elves don't leave Athel Loren other than Orion's yearly Wild Hunt where he just kills Bretonnian civilians for the lulz. They can, using the roots of the world tree, but have almost no reason to.

Kerillian from Vermintide is unique for that exact reason; she's a Wood Elf not in Athel Loren. Same with the character Aenur, Sword of Twilight that Kerillian is based on.

WHFRP has wood elves that live in the Laurelorn forests. As far as I can tell, they have no access to the spirits of Athel Loren, so they have to make do with their own wits. They're like Wood Elves but in a different part of the world.

There are wood elves in the Empire, most notably in Nordland. One criticism of Theodoric Gausser, the Elector Count of Nordland, is that he controls less than half of his province while the elves hold the rest.

I was wondering more like if they were more sophisticated than an outpost with very little independence or more like semi/fully independent realms that have their own glade lords/glade ladies who are autonomous to a huge degree.

With the Laurelorn thing, they're implied to not be related to the Athel Loren elves at all, so they're fully independent, if a smaller community.

I don't think it'd be unreasonable to set up outposts in most forests, however, run by a glade lord who decided he needed to keep a watch over that specific spot for whatever reason. From the brooding pines of Naggaroth to the sweltering jungles of the Southlands.

So, a more traditional total war building approach wouldn't be so out of place for a mod would it?

>Saurus
>breaking

Tehy're elves that live in the woods, not Wood Elves.

This is specified several times in the codex, as Wood Elves are the price Athel Loren set for saving the Everqueen, a portion of the elves that will be forever bound to it

I love this little bit of fluff.

That artwork doesn't look very warhammy.

They probably help to keep the Beastmen migrations in check.

Reaction to AoS ranges from slightly disgusted apathy (me) to frothing rage (some user).

apart from Sigmarine who could be replaced with Grail Knight on foot or something, and Fyreslayer who can be replaced by, well, regular Slayer, there's not much nonWHFB in Silver Tower. It IS a Silver Tower of Tzeentch, it's supposed to be located in Realms of Chaos (or phase in and out of them), etc.

If I started a WHFRP game, how many additional points should I give to an unexperienced party, in order for them not to get immediately slaughtered by weak monsters?

So, I am going to assume they won't have sentient tree people as members of the community right?

Exactly. They should be more like High Elves, living in the woods

Lure of the Liche Lord (2nd) and Old World Bestiary (2nd) have some valuable Nehekharan characterization bits.

Wood elfs can be recognized by dat ass

breedable indeed

Please tell me Felix gets some mummy milf action

got it. Once the high elves come out, I will try and retexture their building models.

Right now my plan is to allow the player to build upward in wood elf outposts so that you can gain more resources by building taller. Elf specific unit buildings and Amber extractors are also buildable to give the player more options instead of mindlessly blobbing around bretonnia and the grey mountains.
Hopefully once the expansion is released I will be able to do more with those buildings on the campaign map.

This thread has been occupied.
THIS IS SKELETONS THREAD NOW.

Post skeletons.

It would be a real shame-shame if someone were to field a better tarpit

you mean zombies? yeah, would be a shame.

Kerillian also doesn't WANT to be out of Athel Loren. It's pretty heavily implied that snoo pingas usual got her cursed someho, and she literally has to kill enough rats to lift the curse. She also blames herself for 'letting this evil take root,' so perhaps the skaven stole something from Athel Loren while she was elfing around rather than actually doing her job.

Elven Vietcong.

I wonder who-what is behind this post-post...

>what the fuck is amber doing in mainland forests, it's normally only found in and around the Baltic Sea (or whatever it's WHFB equiwalent is called)
>what the fuck do forest people need crystallized sap for anyway? forests are full of sap

As sad as it can be, zombies are very ineffective against skaven

zombies are ineffective against anything
point is, you can't Invoke skaven. you can Invoke zombies.

Just started DMing a rules-lite version for my college buddies

During WHFB 6th edition there was Luthor Harkon's Undead Pirate army list in the White Dwarf, featuring zombie handgunners, massive cannons, sirens and other nice shit.

>fanart
>the same pic every thread
Yes, waifufaggots need to leave.

Good luck buddy. Tell us something about their chars

So much this.

No, we need more waifus.

Take your cancer back to /twg/.

I've been here longer than you.

I shall drown you in an ocean of druchii and asrai cheesecake.

>why don't my elves look like AYYLMAOS
no.

GW worked with CA and authorized every unit's design. This is how GW elves are supposed to look. Get used to it.

>look at me, I'm such an oldfag!

The art is as inconsistent as ever, here is a video game elf that is closer to the roleplaying game in the second edition, CA just tries to appeal to a bigger market with more human-like elves.

Disgusting taste. Off yourself.

Or perhaps it's the case that elves vary wildly in appearance, like humans.

We do know from multiple canon sources that elves are considered beautiful and sexually desirable by humans and even dwarfs (!).

>my videogame is more accurate than yours.
GW keeps strict IP control on CA, which includes keeping an eye on unit design.

here yo go faggots.
Notice the eye that clearly has pupils.

>>my videogame is more accurate than yours
I never said that. If GW hadn't killed this off, my argument would have been to wait until next edition for how they will vary their design again.

>Or perhaps it's the case that elves vary wildly in appearance
Meh, what a boring answer.

>are considered beautiful
I feel like we had this a million times on this whole board, that doesn't necessarily mean that they are just good-looking humans with pointy ears.

The dev blog on vermintide is quite interesting. I'm trying to dig up where the design for the wood elves in the Total War game comes from, they may even said "just make them supermodels or whatever", but so far I found nothing.

>they write a blog on 1 character. Therefore this character is the more accurate than anything CA made.

CA got models from GW to base their units on. Watch the several vlogs they uploaded on youtube. They based the unit design on the tabletop everyone keeps harping on as the true soul of the game when it's convenient.

GW also had creative control over the book and that presumably included it's art design.