Humanity discovers a device that, after learning how to use it, enables them to travel faster than light

>Humanity discovers a device that, after learning how to use it, enables them to travel faster than light.
>While the engines they use to do this are of a lesser sort than the device itself. The Device enables them to seemingly cross over into another galaxy.
>However, the act of doing so somehow breaks the device and they have no way of going back to the home galaxy of the solar system
>300 years later and humanity must learn to survive in an unknown part of the universe along with alien races and technologies that push them to survive and adapt

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheHomewardJourney
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That's a pretty good hook.

Ok and? Are you selling a plot idea or is this leading somewhere?

More of a brain shit then anything else because it's all based on a series of individual ideas I've been stringing together. I'm kinda high on Chronicles of Riddick/Destiny/Star Wars shit right now.

Alright OP if you're just going to leave it out in the open like this.

>Humanity has few allies and more still they are fractured along numerous factions
>One group of humans have allied themselves with a federation of other alien species while another looks to get into empire building leaving a group of humans enclaves in a loose economic confederation. All three groups are at each others throats with the only thing keeping them from outright killing each other is the device with the hope of somehow fixing it.

Make the galaxy interesting in contrast to the Milky Way. Otherwise, what's the point?

>One of humanities greatest challenges came in the form of an alien race known as the Atenri. A race of uplifted subterranian humanoids who sought to take over the legacy of their former "Gods" after they disappeared in holy fire.
>Some members of this race sought to cleanse humanity after a team of prospectors came upon the planet unaware of it's importance as a literal shrine world.
>After a brutal war with them the Consensus of Wisdom intervened and forced a truce between the Atenri and Humanity
>After some consideration the Consensus offered a seat to Humans if they would accept the terms of membership which lead to a number of human enclaves defecting being suspicious of the Consensus' motives.

>The Union of Free Worlds are a number of planets, exo-planets, and large orbital colonies focused around a massive gas giant that orbits a star similar to Sol but no earth like planets
>These areas tend to retain many of the cultural aspects carried over from Earth and go out of their way to maintain them, more so after the Consensus introduced the idea of a unified humanity under a single government which was one of the requirements to join.
>Valuing their independence and cultural identities many refused to join and the Union was formed for economic and military support in the fear that the Consensus would force them to join.

Isn't this just a mass effect andromeda hype thread?

Is it? All I know so far about the story is that the major races sent arcs that found their way to Andromida after 600 years.

I still don't really understand what was suppose to happen to the milky way post RGB scenario.

assuming destroy ending, since it is the only one that makes any sense

>earth is fucked, all the mass accelerator shots during the opening slavo that just SLAMMED into earth ruined so much land. all the detonated ezzo cores spewing ezzo dust all over earth, giving everything super space cancer, (but might create a super generation of human biotics) reaper tech still causing problems all over earth, making people crazy and crazy reaper cults
>sol is divided into two people. the poor schmucks that are stuck on earth, and the people that can afford to stay in space(either in the ships or some salvaged parts of the citadel arms), away from the hellhole that is earth.

Neither does Bioware, hence why they shipped the next game a hundred years into the future in a different galaxy completely isolated from the original

I think there's three things we need to establish soonish.
1.How hard is this setting going to be, besides the Device?
1.5 Is the Device and derivatives thereof the only means of FTL travel?

2.How many humans got whisked along when the Device did it's thing? A few hundred? A few thousand? All of them?

The way he wrote 'home galaxy of the solar system' sort of makes me inclined to believe they've just been dumped into another part of the our current galaxy.

So maybe like in Voyager where going across the galaxy really isn't possible, but fast enough that travel between planets and solar systems isn't crazy long.

Not quite what I meant.

How to put it...Are we going with Star Trek space magic? Star Wars space magic with grit? The Expanse hard with a hint of space magic? Children of a Dead Earth diamond hard?

Also:
>and they have no way of going back to the home galaxy of the solar system

Seems to imply the converse-that some portion of humanity just got whisked over to another galaxy entirely.

Personal opinion, I always default to Star Wars.

Less of a focus on technology, because there would be crazy ramifications if we discovered alien life alone, and more of what the people 300 years in the future do with it.

So it's going to take place in a galaxy far, far away (closest is 25,000 light years) a long time from now?

Not going to lie, I've considered using a similar device in my space opera settings.
It helps to wipe the slate clean I guess, so you can have humans without all the baggage of Earth history and politics.
Also it helps that you can basically make up the astronomy as you go along, without having to worry about someone asking where Beta Canum Venaticorum is.
Also helps deal with the Fermi paradox

Personally I'm more a fan of human-centric space opera these days, with all the weird permutations of future culture and religion that entails, but whatever floats your boat

THought the thread died. Hardness is between Riddick and Destiny so...Not hard in the slightest.

The Device was the means to travel between galaxy while the technology derived from it allowed FTL travel, the problem not only lies in the fact they are so far away from where Earth is but they can't even calculate where it is. They may as well be in another dimension all things told.

And finally, several million humans. The setting was advanced to the point that the solar system was colonized and once the basics were figured out there was a movement to try and see how to really use it until the damn thing broke.

The half on their side exists near a gas giant and it's the only thing that keeps the humans in the setting in some level of unitedness although the humans who sided with the aliens have decided to cut their losses and stay while the other two major groups want some way to leave (but really the other wants it as a symbol of their authority of sorts with no real interest in going back unless they can harness it's power to their own ends).

So a mixture of Star Trek: Voyager, Andromeda, Farscape, Lexx and Stargate Atlantis/Universe.

Wait a minute... this is the plot for one of those Star Trek series.

I was thinking Stargate Atlantis or universe

>Star Trek: Voyager takes place during the years 2371 to 2377, and begins on the far side of the Milky Way galaxy, 70,000 light-years from Earth. It follows the adventures of the Starfleet vessel USS Voyager, which becomes stranded in the Delta Quadrant while searching for a renegade Maquis ship.[1] Voyager has to make the estimated 75-year journey home.

You sunnavabeech.

What is EVE with ayyliums

Oh man, I love voyager!

>Voyager
> While attempting to capture the crew of a renegade Maquis vessel, both her ship and that of the Maquis were pulled into the distant Delta quadrant by powerful alien technology. Unfortunately, there would be no similar “express” route to take them home again. Stranded 70,000 light-years from Earth, Janeway convinced the Maquis to join her Starfleet crew and serve together during the long voyage back to Federation space.

>Andromeda
>Captain Hunt, is caught by surprise he is forced to evacuate his crew, but Andromeda gets caught on the edge of the event horizon of a black hole, freezing him in time. 303 years later, the crew of the salvage ship Eureka Maru locates Hunt's ship.Hunt recruits the salvage crew to join him in an attempt to restore the Systems Commonwealth and "rekindle the light of civilization." *cue theme song the only good thing to come out of the series*

>farscape
>John Crichton, a modern-day American astronaut who accidentally flew into the entrance of a wormhole near Earth during an experimental space flight. On the same day, another stranger is picked up by Moya: a stranded Peacekeeper named Aeryn Sun (Claudia Black)

>Lexx
>The main characters of the series are the Lexx and its crew. The crew consists of the captain of the Lexx, Stanley H. Tweedle, the love slave Zev/Xev, the undead former assassin Kai, last of the Brunnen-G, and the love-crazed robot head 790. Together they are looking for a new home in the dark Universe. *really ... interesting series*

>Stargate Atlantis
> The Atlantis expedition arrives at Atlantis, the city of the Ancients. The expedition quickly finds itself in a dire situation that forces them to seek new friends, the Athosians, but they also acquire a powerful new enemy: the Wraith. Due to the power requirements for reaching Lantea, they are unable to contact Earth. The expedition must survive in a new galaxy, while deciphering the Ancients' technology in order to find a way to destroy the Wraith and to acquire important new knowledge.

>Stargate Universe
>Trapped on an Ancient spaceship billions of light-years from home, a group of soldiers and civilians struggle to survive and find their way back to Earth. *the less said about SGU the better*

>Eve
> the discovery of a natural wormhole leading to an unexplored galaxy named "New Eden". Dozens of colonies were founded, and a structure was built to stabilize the wormhole that bridged the intergalactic colonies with the rest of human civilization, a giant gateway bearing the name "EVE". However, when the natural wormhole unexpectedly collapsed, it destroyed the gate. Cut off from the rest of humanity and supplies from Earth,

>Space Cases
>The show's premise revolves around a group of misfit students and two adults who are stranded far from home aboard an alien ship. Their attempts at journeying back see many dangerous adventures and controversies, with some occasionally more mature themes.

>Red Dwarf
>Red Dwarf is lethally irradiated. The ship's AI, Holly, sets a course out of the solar system, planning to release Lister from stasis once the radiation level drops to safe levels. Lister decides that he wants to return to Earth, despite the fact that no-one aboard knows if the human race still exists, and despite the problem that the journey back will take another three million years at sub-light speed (even turning the ship around at near lightspeed will take 4000 years according to Lister

>Quantum Leap
>Theorizing that one can time travel within his own lifetime, Dr. Sam Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator...and vanished. He awoke to find himself trapped in the past, facing mirror images that were not his own, and driven by an unknown force to change history for the better. His only guide on this journey is Al, an observer from his own time who appears in the form of a hologram that only Sam can see or hear. And so Dr. Beckett finds himself leaping from life to life, striving to put right what once went wrong, and hoping each time that his next leap...will be the leap home."

Plus anything on this page. Although other than sliders I don't see any scifi on the page that I didn't already mention.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheHomewardJourney

>Land of the Giants (how could I forget this one)
>Set fifteen years in the future, in the year 1983, the series tells the tale of the crew and passengers of a sub-orbital transport ship named Spindrift. In the pilot episode, the Spindrift is en route from Los Angeles to London, on an ultra fast sub-orbital flight. Just beyond Earth's boundary with space, the Spindrift encounters a magnetic space storm, and is dragged through a spacewarp to a mysterious planet where everything is twelve times larger than on Earth, whose inhabitants the Earthlings nickname "the Giants." The Spindrift crash-lands, and the damage renders it inoperable.

Battlestar Galactica could also be described to have a cut off from home start but I don't include it as it's not the same as the rest.

Also interstellar / gravity / the martian.

The setting may be unoriginal but people can at least try to come up with something original within it.

If I made a game it would contain many unoriginal elements but that doesn't mean my game on the whole can't be unique and interesting.

Come on Veeky Forums be original.

And then you M. Night it up by revealing that they got sent into the future and the nightmarish alien race that keeps attacking them are all that remains of the human race.

Alternatively, it's also really similar to the way that Stellaris presents humanity. Two different human factions: one based on the U.N. and trying to get a bunch of contrary, freedom-loving bastards to head in vaguely the same direction at the same time; the other the descendants of a colony ship shot through an experimental wormhole and much more united/survivalist/fascist.

Isn't that mass effect andromeda?

Is this an unofficial world building general thread?

Oh man, Land of the Giants was a great series. I still remember the opening.

Cause if it is I was thinking of dropping a semi-human faction here.

>An artificial world comprised of numerous clans of humans, abducted over many generations by an army of machines built by a long dead race, all for some millenia spanning project that will never be completed, because the original creators of the project are all gone.

>All humans are subjected to regular genetic alteration, making it impossible for them to breathe anything but an artificial atmosphere made up of oxygen, nitrogen, and a cocktail of combat stims(the stims are literally required to make the lungs absorb the oxygen otherwise they are inert), and placed into mandated factions where each has access to a specific resource everyone else needs while having a shortage of everything else

>Naturally war breaks out between these factions as they fight to secure these basic necessities to survive, these experiment groups eventually naming themselves after the original abducted humans, their experiment ID's become the symbols of their Clans.

>Occasionally the observers leave out caches of supplies and weapons to ensure that no dominating faction stays dominant for long.

>This leads to a society that demands sacrifice and strength from every member. Those who are inadequate are exiled from their clans to die in the wilds

>This continues for untold number of generations until the warring clans are united by an exiled human that manages to discover the truth of the machines overseeing their pointless wars. The enraged clans siege the nexus point that the machines used as a means of transporting to the surface from an orbiting station, and against all odds, capture it, use it to travel to the station, and wipe out their mechanical observers. Station becomes new capital.

>Centuries of war, and being forced to inhale combat stims their entire lives compels them to expand and conquer everything around them. A khanate is formed that seeks to dominate the galaxy.

Do we know know the device will break beforehand? Because otherwise it' going to be a very unprepared ship going to that new galaxy. Maybe even an empty one.

I think the idea was that no one knew it would break hence why you have these humans stuck with no way to get back and some years pass either trying to figure out if there is a way to get back or just giving up on the idea entirely

>The Consensus of Wisdom is an organization that acts as an economical and military accord for all of it's member races
>Initially they were not entirely aware of the nature of the device nor invested too much time into studying it until the Humans were observered to come through it.
>Initially they believed the Device was of their making until learning that they had found something similar in their home system but now seem unable to make use of it.
>When the humans engaged in war with the Atenri they made plans to possibly eliminate them until they witnessed the humans at least attempt a parley with them unware of the transgression that would make it difficult for the Atenri to immediately forgive and broker peace
>The Consensus was also fascinated, and frightened, by the potential military strength of such a species seemingly lost far away from home and scattered as they were and much discussion was had before the porposal to intervene and offer the humans a chance at joining the Consensus as the Atenri were the servitor race of their masters who warred with the Consensus leading to the destruction of their homeworld.

OK, next question!

How does the Device or derivatives work? Is it point-to-point jump drive? Is it an Alcubierre-alike? Generates wormholes? Hyperspace? Gate/Launcher variants of all three? What are the limitations?

A point to point gate. Initial study of the Device gave insight into the nature of traveling faster than light but the Device is seemingly able to go further than what can be accomplished by mere reverse egineering.

The nature of this FTL movement is akin to Dune's move without moving by joining two points that you move through although there is still some amount of time needed to do this based on distance. For example, to get from earth to Pluto would take a few hours to do.

This also requires knowing where you are going as you could just point and go anywhere and accidently move into a cosmic anomely or right into a star.

The Humans that are stuck have no frame of reference to determine which direction is home or how long it would even take hence why they can't just start leaving.

I would have loved a Mass Effect set in the destroy ending, where there's massive amounts of effort building new gates and the player is in charge of some survey ship looking for survivors and lost worlds.

Are there no limits on where a Device or derivative can go within it's range?

Can Derivative devices be retargeted?

Has this ever been weaponized? Using a derivative device to teleport a quantity of antimatter inside the target, say.

No. You could perhaps attach an Derivative to a device you wanted to move and send it on it's way but they are expensive to make an maintain and would be a waste militarily.

Not only that, it doesn't function as a form of transportation as opening the tunnel effect right on the thing you are trying to move and where you are trying to move it into would effectively destroy all of it as it collapses on itself.

So a waste of effort and resources for little gain.

Apologies, I seem to have misrepresented the question.

Are there no limits on where a derivative can join points, within it's range?

If it can join a point within an object without consequence, then it can be used to teleport stuff within that object. Such as antimatter.

The limits are the ability to "know" where you are going and how much energy you have to maintain the connection between the two points. You can set and forget because if there is nothing holding the connection (I'll call them columns because stealing from Xenosaga) together then it will collapse and whatever was inside will be obliterated.

I don't understand what you are getting at with your question if your presuming doing what Star Trek always seems to conviently to do what they are truely capable of and teleporting anit-matter bombs right on the command deck of an enemy craft.

>>Humanity discovers a device that, after learning how to use it, enables them to travel faster than light.
If it breaks upon use how did they figure out what the original is for?
If it reparable and/or reproducible what is stopping them from going back to the original galaxy?

Eclipse Phase: the Videogame?

Was a very good series. Saved my brothers life. He had a stomach ache really bad his symptoms matched Barry who had appendicitis one episode. If that episode wasn't on the TV that day and made my Mother paranoid good chance my brother would be dead.

You want original, I'll give you original.

the galaxy is actually two galaxies, currently colliding over millions of years

>tfw ugly raians keep shitting up my BEAUTIFUL IMAGEBOARD

this is why i cloned myself

Go Horatio your Horatio.