Considering Smaug was technically a King, how would you consider his reign? Successful, unsuccessful...

Considering Smaug was technically a King, how would you consider his reign? Successful, unsuccessful? Did he make any sweeping changes to the political landscape?

Abolished the dwarven apartheid in Dale

All in all a great champion of social justice

BECAUSE HE'S A BIG STUPID LIZARD!

He sure did make some sweeping changes to the landscape

Dragons can't be kings

Rude

He made Erebor Great Again.

He's listed as King under the Mountain, though. I think his reign paved the way for future Draconic rulers

>King under the Mountain
That's the dwarven title. Dragons can't apply for that, not mentioning there can be no king without a kingdom to rule, which lazy wyrm didn't have. He simply burned everyone and that's it.

>waah not my king, I didn't vote for him, I'm literally shaking
Kys
He was democratically elected

This is a +18 forum. Leave.

He was a delusional neet that craved acceptance and wanted to be worshiped through fear. He saw this great kingdom where dwarves and humans and elves lived in peace with each other and had a sperg fit over it because he felt ignored

He dealt with the overpopulation.
There was no unemployment under his rule.
Every citizen of his kingdom possessed equal wealth.
The average citizen of Erebor under Smaug's rule possesed mountains of gold.
The military might of the kingdom was greater under his rule than under any of the previous kings.

All hail Smaug! Greatest king of Erebor.

Lmao you little bitch come and say that to my face

Is the the savoir of dragonkind?

I kek'd

Well, he didn't really improves infrastructure of the region, no new roads or other works of note...

His end was a bit anticlimatic in the movie. It was expected, but fuck.

I think its progressive.

Just need to fill permit 38

He should have taken more efforts for bringing the Numenoreans factories back.

What would have changed if Smaug would have lived until the war of the Ring?

Did Tolkien plan so far in advance? I'm sure the ring was nothing more than a fun gimmick at first.

I have no idea, the man's a lunatic. He made up entire languages for his setting then named the volcano Mt. Doom.

Point is I'm curious what would have went down.

Sauron would have used Smaug as a weapon in the war pretty well I'd imagine. Smaug would probably agree to do it only if the reward was great enough.

If he did, Sauron would eventually put Smaug under his control because muh things

>A king
Oh yeah? Over what people?

I prefer the idea that Smaug would have wrekt Sauron just out of sheer greed and laziness.

Fucking, Smaug at the Council of Elrond

>"This nigga needs to shut up so I can go back to sleep, this shit's exhausting."

I seem to recall someone saying it was a good job Smaug was dead, or else Sauron would have had a mighty weapon at his disposal, but I cannot for the life of me remember who it was or if it's just some film shit, or an interview or what

Well, Dragonfire was the only thing other then the fires of Mt. Doom that had the potential to destroy the Ring.

Amassed maximum wealth and got rid of the poor, MAKE THE MISTY MOUNTAINS GREAT AGAIN!

Fuck you, you big government liberal cuck, if there's a market demand then a private entity will fulfil it.

No, dragonfire only could destroy the lesser rings.
Gandalf says that not even Ancalagon could have destroyed the one ring.

It is questionable if Smaug would have done anything in the war though. He might have just kept to his gold, similar to the Balrog of Moria not caring about Sauron.

>dwarves have an incredibly wealthy kingdom
>humans start encroaching on their turf
>probably too many lower class pleb dwarves around too
>one day a (((dragon))) just pops out of nowhere suddenly and conveniently kills them all, but luckily the royal line survived
>dwarves that are long lived anyway (((reclaim))) their kingdom some years later
Uh huh. . .
>believing the Smaug myth in 2017

I don't think so. However, he spent time building up his world in private with the early versions of the The Silmarillion. By the time he got persuaded to make a sequel of the Hobbit, he had plenty to work with.

The humans were the working class plebs and the dwarves were the jews hoarding their wealth to the point that it brought down the dragon(Trump)

Blease, the lamey lizard got his shit shot out of him by a singe puny human without any shenangans.
Sauron and 9 ringbearers are all in a different power league than the dragon.

Well I didn't vote for 'im!

But there was 100% unemployment under his rule.
Unless you consider burying yourself in money and taking a nap a job.

Gandalf in Unfinished Tales. There's a bit in there that details how he set up the Quest for Erebor, and one of the chief motives for getting rid of Smaug is to deprive Sauron (who Gandalf knows is still around, although not where or in what form at this point) of a magical WMD in any future confrontations that could happen.

There's a bit where he notes that, without clearing out Smaug and re-establishing the Kingdom Under the Mountain, they could've very well defeated Sauron at Mount Doom and then come back to find the rest of Middle-Earth already conquered, which nearly happened because of the Easterling Invasion, which was halted at Erebor by the combined forces of the Dwarves and Dale.

I believe this actually came up in an interview once, turns out he did not, if I'm remembering correctly The Hobbit was originally a collection of episodic bedtime stories he told his kids, the Lord of the Ring series and all the related worldbuilding came later

But then he made plans to tie the narratives together, see .