So I was part of a great campaign that ended recently...

So I was part of a great campaign that ended recently, and in the end my character became a martyr and sacrifice his soul for the cause he believed in. As the campaign ended and the GM began to wrap things up I interrupted his epilogue to ask if my character's soul had been saved or if it was still lost, to which he responded

>sorry user, you sacrifice yourself knowing of the consequences. Your character, he's gone for good

I responded telling him that there's no need to be sorry and I'll be leaving, since none of this concerns me or my character. This is where everyone was confused. At this point the GM tried to convince me to listen to the epilogue because my character's actions affected the aftermath of the campaign greatly. Once again I interrupted him saying "That's enough, already too much information" and I decided to leave with the reason being I've already caused too much of an interruption. Ignoring the protests of the group I left and began to drive home.
Cont.

>butthurt player makes a thread on Veeky Forums because reasons

>joker eating popcorn dot jiffy

I love when That Guy posts!

Not OP but....
>calling him butthurt.
>not being dedicated enough to step out when your character is dead because he/she wouldn't have been around to know about the repercussions of his/her actions.

Once your character is dead for good, your responsibility to remaining in character ends. You get to just enjoy the story.

Well he wasn't dedicated when he asked about his character's soul, so clearly he was just throwing a hissy fit

What the fuck? Are you an autist or something?

Nah, OP is experiencing profound levels of rectal interaction.

On my way home I got a call from one of the players asking if I left early because pissed at myself or angry with the GM. I told him I didn't have any reason to be upset and was actually happy with the way things ended and that I enjoyed the campaign a lot. I asked him to communicate this with everyone to which he responded with "Oh, OK". Once I got home I was checking up on my feed before sleeping and saw I had a pm from the GM, which included a long message that I deleted without reading. I responded telling him that I really was fine with out knowing what happened. He, again, attempted to convince me that it was important that I knew what happened since "my epilogue" was the only one that wasn't personal and greatly affected setting itself. I told him
> "I told you I don't want to know. I played a martyr and knowing what happens after isn't what martyrdom is about."
After starting to type, pausing and retyping again his final response was
>amazing, thank you goodnight
So my question is is there a part where being in character and denying metagame knowledge goes too far? I know my friends were a little upset that I didn't get to hear my ending but we came to an agreeent that they wouldn't "spoil" it for me. I personally don't understand why they were upset but I guess it's the same for both parties.

>Unable to seperate Player and Character knowledge
>Not a That Guy

choose one

>metagame knowledge
It wasn't though, since the game at that point had ended. Epilogues are GM wank anyway, so the decent thing to do is sit through them

Right now OP is masturbating and counting (YOU)s. I really hope you people understand this. Why else would someone write something in a way that just makes themselves look like an asshole without any explanation?

If you're going to reply, please don't forget to sage it and refrain from using reaction images.

Posters who think they're getting in a jab by "denying a (you)" are just the worst. All it does is show that you're incapable of refraining from posting, AND that you're butthurt. It makes it harder for the other people reading the thread to follow your comments, and it shows the person you're semi-replying to that you're butthurt.

I think this guy might be onto something.

>I know my friends were a little upset that I didn't get to hear my ending but we came to an agreeent that they wouldn't "spoil" it for me. I personally don't understand why they were upset but I guess it's the same for both parties.
This might has well have included the line "while I was sorting my nightly meal based on color and consistency".

>

>So my question is is there a part where being in character and denying metagame knowledge goes too far? I know my friends were a little upset that I didn't get to hear my ending but we came to an agreeent that they wouldn't "spoil" it for me. I personally don't understand why they were upset but I guess it's the same for both parties.

OP here, sorry I was driving home from work.
I guess I'll admit I have a few "That Guy" tendencies, for example I tend to listen music while my character is separated from the action because I'm always worried about mixing up player and character knowledge because I'm too dumb to keep them separated in my mind. I should clear up that I wasn't angry or sad, I mostly left the table for a sort of... authenticity to my own character and the actions that I chose for him. It was a long and emotional campaign, so perhaps I was just feeling TOO in character. It's not like any of my friends are still pissed, just confused by me denying knowledge.

>for example I tend to listen music while my character is separated from the action
And your friends haven't dropped you? Good on them

This is an impressive level of autism

>I guess I'll admit

Concession.

>few "That Guy" tendencies

And other concession.

>listen

Stop that.

>character is separated

Don't you see how this is a problem?

>worried about mixing

:)

>I'm too dumb

Kek you said it buddy.

>I wasn't angry or sad

But clearly umad bro.

>sort of... authenticity to my own character

You get this is pretend, right?

>It was a long and emotional campaign

I'm assuming this is the usual euphemism for 'drunk'.

>just confused by me denying knowledge

Can you blame them?

Low quality bait.

>low

[citation needed]

>quality

[citation needed]

>bait

[citation needed]

Do keep up the futile damage control though, kiddo.

Why is everyone so mad in this thread? We play imagination for fun, some guy was dedicated enough to stick to it after the game. If that's how he wants to do it, good on him. He could have stood to explain it better, but why the fuck is everyone here badwrongfun?

The amount of autism is turning me inside out.

Found the Britbong

> "I told you I don't want to know. I played a martyr and knowing what happens after isn't what martyrdom is about."
>After starting to type, pausing and retyping again his final response was
>amazing, thank you goodnight

You're about 10 kilos of sperg in a 5 lb bag, but I personally find merit in the idea of remaining true to the role of the character even in death. You just might have to use your words more up front, because none of that was normative social behavior for pretty much anybody.

Here's my opinion. What you did was weird. Very weird. Clearly the thread agrees with me on this. Unable to separate yourself from your character is a little odd and maybe that's something you should get help with.

But if that's what makes you happy, man, you do you. And if somebody asks why, just tell them that.

That said, talk to your GM. He also may want to share the story with you. You kinda have him blue balls after all the work he put into the game.

This level of autism is unbearable.

You dun good, user.

I think most people would want closure or at least be curious about the ending, but that's them. Not wanting it is a bit unexpected, so that's why you got some raised eyebrows.

Your friends are probably a little confused that you left at the end, the grand finale, because you were always there before. It's like going to the movie with your best bud but he gets up and leaves before the final act - and what's worse, they can't reminisce and gush about how things ended since you weren't there for that part, and have asked not to be spoiled. They want to share in the awesomeness.

You sound like a dedicated roleplayer that any GM would be happy to have. It sounds like your GM was happy to have you, and just wanted to make sure you weren't down about the ending, and were sure about your course of action.

Stop trying to damage control, OP.

I hate to say it's because of the autism, but it's because of the autism.

This could have been handled with a simple conversation. "Actually, is it okay if I don't know? I like the idea of my character sacrificing himself and not knowing what happens as a result." Instead he left the game with everyone wondering what the fuck is going on and overall the situation just seems horribly awkward for everyone except OP who seems oblivious.

If he's having fun this way then power to him, but he is socially awkward on a level that has not been seen here in a long time.

Not to mention, all that effort the DM and the other players put in the game, he basically told them to go fuck themselves. The arrogance and narcissism is real here.

Wow, I didn't even think of that. However, if he's this weird then I doubt it's a surprise to the rest of the group. I'm sure they're used to him being a little out there with what he likes.

I guess I did a bad job paraphrasing so everyone this I have major autism. When I left I made it clear that it was because I wanted to hold true to my character's actions and suffer the consequences both in and out of character.

>However, if he's this weird then I doubt it's a surprise to the rest of the group.

I have at one point in the past dropped out of a game mid campaign because my character died. Not because of autistic rage but because I don't like cheapen a character's death. In my opinion it makes for much more immersive in my opinion and allows you to forge bonds not just with other players but with their character as well.

That's dumb. Who gives a shit if he likes to not know the ending? If that's how he enjoys the story, it's how he enjoys it.

I mean, it's really weird, and yeah the communication here was obviously terrible. But he didn't tell anyone to go fuck themselves. He just wants to be ignorant to part of the story.

>too far
this phrase was invented by normies as a means of caging our collective aspie power. There is no such thing as "too far"

Huh, that's actually an interesting view. Seriously, I've never heard of someone who thinks that way. I suppose that the way I see it is that the game is a vehicle for generating an interesting narrative and having fun with friends while you do it. If my character died I'd be more interested in seeing what the consequences were and how the rest of the players/characters handle it rather than attempting to "hold true" to my character.

Apologies for calling you autistic, but boy do you have a unique way of playing. I can't really fault someone going to the logical extreme of roleplaying a character death.

>he basically told them to go fuck themselves. The arrogance and narcissism is real here
OP here, I just want to make it clear I neither literally or figuratively do that. I don't even understand the perspective on how my actions would make me narcissistic, if I didn't want to hear the result of my actions. Wouldn't it be the opposite, basking in the glory of what rewards I graced the (setting) world with?

That's a perfect way of putting it. When people reminisce about something in a past campaign I prefer they think about what the character did rather what the player did. In this case I may have gone to extreme, although I think in the future people will be more enthusiastic about my choice, especially in the next campaign that takes place in the setting.

But if you prefer to think about what the character did wouldn't you also want to know about the effects of what he did? I'd think that knowing that would be a fitting way to complete the character's story and make reminiscing more enjoyable. And besides, if you're doing the next game in the same setting I think you might have to find out what happened anyway if what he did impacted it!

Yes, I'm hoping to find out in the next campaign. I think it will be more exciting to discover through the world what effect my through the lens of someone who just lives in it.

Okay, that's fair. If you didn't want to know what happened at all I'd really think you're crazy! That sounds like a fun way to go about it. Hell, if I ever GM a game that long and get the chance to run a sequel campaign I'd probably do that to all my players to preserve the mystery and let them piece things together as new characters.