MTG Legacy General

BUG Edition

>What deck are you playing/building?

>What changes have you made to the deck/sideboard to fight Leovold?

>Next cards you want to purchase?

>Bad deck that you love but wish was better
RESOURCES
>Active Legacy Forums
mtgthesource.com/forums/forum.php
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5

>Current Legacy Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=LE
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy

>Find/Browse basic lands by their art, by sets, by artists, and more
basiclandart.tumblr.com

READINGS
>Top 5 Breakdown (May 26, 2016)
channelfireball.com/articles/the-top-5-legacy-decks/

>Miracles: The Match-Up Everyone Should Know
channelfireball.com/articles/how-to-defeat-miracles/

>Utilizing Cabal Therapy (Old but still good)
channelfireball.com/home/legacy-weapon-therapy-session/

Common Legacy - Decks You Should Prepare to Face
>Miracles
>Delver variants (Grixis, Izzet, BUG, RUG)
>ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils)
>Death and Taxes
>Eldrazi Stompy
>Shardless BUG
>Lands

Uncommon Legacy - Decks You Should Know About
>LED Dredge
>Reanimator
>Infect
>Stoneblade
>Burn
>TES (The Epic Storm)
>Elves
>Painter
>Maverick
>4-Color Loam
>Nic Fit
>Sneak n Show

Rare Legacy - Decks You May See On Occasion
>Enchantress
>MUD
>Goblins
>Merfolk
>High Tide
>Aluren
>Food Chain
>12 Post
>Belcher
>Pox Control
>Blood Moon Stompy variants
>Tezzerator
>Sneak n Breach
>Stax (White or Black)
>Deadguy Ale
>Landstill
>Affinity
>Oops, All Spells

Mythic Legacy - Decks You'll See Once a Year
>Doomsday Fetchland Tendrils (DDFT)
>Cheerios
>Nourshing Lich
>Non-Eldrazi Moon-less Stompy variants
>Spanish Inquisition
>Ux Omnitell
>Parfait
>The Cure (Kavu Predator + False Cure

Other urls found in this thread:

channelfireball.com/home/how-to-play-vendilion-clique/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/21-12-16-Gdb-nic-fit/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The topic of this thread BUGs me.

just built infect to get into the format. miracles dredge, storm, and death and taxes are the main part of my meta.What do you guys recommend for side board options.

Just have a question. I run 4 Goblin Guides over 4 Stormchaser Mages in UR Delver. Is this a mistake? Goblin Guide seems to be the better card, hes less mana and he usually hits in for more just by the math, he lowers your curve even more then it already is so your Dazes are even better.

The math
Turn 1 Goblin Guide attack 2
Turn 2 untap attack 2
Turn 3 untap attack removed

Total 4 damage

Turn 1
Turn 2 Stormchaser free spell attack 2
Turn 3 untap free spell attack removed

Total 2

So for the same situation Goblin Guide gets in 2 more damage. A turn 2 removal spell makes him even better as he gets in for 2 but the mage doesnt get in at all. The only turn mage starts hitting in for more is turn 4 if he hasnt been removed. Also Mage requires you to sometimes spam free spells to get the most out of him which is sometimes a suboptimal line of play, Goblin Guide is always 2/2 so he can swing, reveal a card, you see a threat or combo piece on top and decide to hold up mana for counters or responses.
To me the math seems to favor Goblin Guide. Does anyone want to tell me why im wrong?

boooooooooooo,. But also,can B/G decks still be a thing. I was playing around with a failry old list on xmage and it was quite fun. It ran hypnotic specters and goyfs while keeping the board clear with black removal/discard and green enchanment killers. I think it was called eva green.

BUG is for scrubs, real men go Golgari and don't need no stinking Brainstorm

Ive never understood Stormchaser, je seems bad.

Also the op pasta needs Turbo Depths in there somewhere, I guess uncommon.

Brainstorm is one of the most powerful cards in Legacy

>Stormchaser
>2cmc
>flying
>haste
>sick gains while bolting/brainstorming/countering/whatevering
How is that bad if nothing else its a flying swift spear that gets trough chalice on 1

He isnt horrible. He has a lot of abilities for just two mana but hes just too slow. Theres sometimes where you tap out to play him and dont have a Probe so he just hits in for 1, then opponent removes on endstep, even if he does live till 3rd turn, 2 non creature spells make him hit for 3, which is 4 in total, still worse then a turn 1 Goblin Guide. Even if you had 3 non creature spells hes worse then Guide by a single point of damage.

Yeah but Plowshares, Abrupt Decay, and now Push are the most played removal and he dies to all 3, hes good against Lightning Bolt removal but thats about it.

It's powerful, but there are so many other powerful creatures for Delver decks, even in UR. It has to compete with Lavamancer, Delver, Pyromancer and even Clique.

>sick gains while casting non creature spells
Thats a big problem I have with him, hes slow to get out so once you have him out you can fall into a trap of trying to get the most out of him by "spamming" your low cost non creature spells which isnt always optimal

I just dont like that it's a 2 mana creature with 1 power, when GG is a 1 mana creature with 2 power, in a deck.that runs Daze. Yes, Stormchaser has Prowess but you would have to avarage more than 1 spell a turn, not to.l mention the fact that it comes down a turn later. But I dont play the deck at all, its more of a passing confusion from a bystander. I dont have a dog in the fight either way.

Lavamancer is great in the board, Young Pyro is too slow these days, hes better in slower deler strategies like Grixis where he syncs with Cabal Therapy, Clique is sweet but hard to ask for three mana in a 16 land deck so i run Bedlam Reveler instead for a huge threat that draws me cards and outclasses the Goyfs from BUG decks, doesnt die to Abrupt Decay or Push either.

You guys seen this? Pretty interesting stuff, and a few puzzles for you guys
channelfireball.com/home/how-to-play-vendilion-clique/
>In response to a miracle trigger: Miracles are actually triggers, so you can Clique your opponent’s Terminus while the miracle trigger is still on the stack.
I never actually thought of this.

so i have most of a goblin deck, but unfortunately the price of the lands is stopping me from finishing it. Particularly since goblins is low tier anyway.

any recommendations for obtaining the rishidan ports and cavern of souls for something less than my soul? or am I shit out of luck

Idk, I have a cavern, but I only needed 1 because 12post. Idk about goblin lands, there really isint anything you can substitute for them aside from maybe ghost quarter. Is there any cheap fast red mana you could replace them with to maybe make up for the lack of disruption with speed?

there's no real replacement. It's either go super aggro with mono red and chrome moxes or go controlly with land disruption. Considering no one attends tournaments with the aggro version I assume it's even worse than the disruption one.

I also can't really afford to buy the fetchlands for this deck anyway so it's mono red for now. I need wastelands too but my friend said he was going to buy me one or two so I might pick the other two up. And i have most of modern merfolk and that needs cavern of souls too so for now I'm going to just play the waiting game and continue playing casual. If I ever see these lands for cheap I'll pick them up. But my definition of cheap is like ...30 bucks? I hate spending even that much on a card.

Never underestimate fetches in a mono colord deck. I run a set of foothills and mire...i think,it been a while, anyway, Even in a mono colord deck like burn its nice just to keep the deck shuffling so you dont keep topdecking lands. The kahns versions of mire and foothills you can find cheepish. 12$ on a good day, but probably more around 15-20 normally. Pretty cheap considering most fetches used to be upwards of 50-60 before the reprints.

this argument is kind of bullshit.

If you think shuffling the deck will prevent topdecking land then your deck isn't actually randomized. Granted pulling the land out of the deck will reduce your topdeckingland chance but the odds are miniscule. Like assuming youre 3 turns into the game, you only reduce the chance by 0.04%. I don't agree that 2 life (10% of your resource) is worth that percentage of gain.

The only time I agree is if you know what is on top of your deck through ponder shenanigans.

actually just redid my calc. Not sure if this is right either kinda tired haha

scenario. 20 lands in deck. 50 cards left in deck.

prior to fetching chance of land drawn is 40%

after fetching land 38.75%.

So a bit more than 1% chance increase.

Why is lands still in the common category? It has pretty much completely fallen out of favor. According to mtggoldfish and mtgtop8 it is only around 2-3% of the meta. Plus tabernacle's price tag is really off putting to people that want to pick up the deck. Its just not a tier 1 strategy at the moment.

This is partially due to the decks extreme price on online and paper. Online Rishadan Port is more expensive then paper Ports and causes the deck to be one of the most pricy decks, and in paper Tabernacle is very pricy and keeps going up

It's also partially due to no one regularly updating the OP. If you make the next thread, feel free to move it down.

Lands is still a common deck.

Its thankfully a deck that is great just because you get free wins probably more then any other deck. Some decks in Legacy have abysmal Lands matchups so it helps to grab a free win at a tournament.

>Deck
Playing Burn
>Sideboard Changes against BUG
Not much I can do except Pyroblast
>Next cards purchased
Some duals and foil fetches
>Bad deck you wish was better
Goblins, I miss when Tribal strategies were viable

Is there a format thats Legacy up until a certain set? I would love to play all sets up until Magic 2015 are legal

Then why dose literally every burn list run them? Its not like burn runs any draw power or search. Before I ran fetches I always had an issue with top decking lands. With fetches, that still happens somtimes, but not nearly as much as it used to. And my land count has been the same through out the build.

>What deck are you playing/building?
I play 12post and burn. Right now im bulding a pox deck.

>What changes have you made to the deck/sideboard to fight Leovold?
In burn i side shit for him, I can just bolt him. 12post i dont think really has an answer for him.

>Next cards you want to purchase?
Normal staples that I cant afford

>Bad deck that you love but wish was better
MUD I want MUD to be good again. Normal stompy MUD or stax MUD I dont care. I just want MUD back. I love control thats not blue.

Anyone here actually buy old packs or boxes? I buy a lot of Zendikar and have even opened a few Urzas Saga packs

I think most lists run them for easy fodder for grim lavamancer

The meta at my store is very fair. There is a lot of delver, maybe a couple miracles players, some midrange like shardless, 4c midrange, or nicfit, some stompy players (goblins and eldrazi). Burn pops up occasionally, as does elves. Sometimes there is also d&t or maverick. However, there is very little in the way of storm/reanimator/sneak and show/etc. What is the best deck that preys on fair decks to take to events like this? I am mostly looking for a delver-killer, as there has been a lot of grixis/4c delver lately.

>spamming your low cost non creature spells
>fall into a trap

Bruh you're playing a fucking burn deck what else were you gonna do with those cards?

>Bedlam Reveler instead for a huge threat that draws me cards and outclasses the Goyfs from BUG decks, doesnt die to Abrupt Decay or Push either.

Was hoping someone was going to mention Bedlam Reveler before I did. He's the best new creature for U/R Delver in a long ass time. I'd prefer him a lot over Stormchaser.

Hold up mana for soft counters like Spell Pierce

Literally why.

>What is the best deck that preys on fair decks to take to events like this? I am mostly looking for a delver-killer, as there has been a lot of grixis/4c delver lately.

Honestly, Lands, but since I doubt that's a good option.

BUG Aluren with Leovold, or honestly any deck with Leovold is so good against Delver.

The statistical chance you'll draw more lands varies depending on the number of lands and the number of fetches. Fewer lands and more fetches lead to fewer lands drawn per turn.

I don't think Lands has been a tier-one strategy in years. It's great in metagames dominated by Dredge and "fair" decks. Folds hard to combo, etc. because it has no way to interact beyond taxing effects. For a while it seemed like it was doing well because Eldrazi and Delvers were all over the place, but now, plenty of decks aren't absurdly reliant on nonbasic lands. It doesn't really have any strategy for dealing with most combo decks beyond playing Bojuka Bog or Sphere of Resistance and hoping for the best. And there's also Blood Moon. And Back to Basics. And Surgical Extraction. And Price of Progress.

Its always had a strong showing. Its definitely a good Legacy deck just not the best atm. Unfortunately im a player who loves bad decks like Enchantress, Goblins, Parfait, and Painter. Hurts to know those decks will slowly die. Goblins and Parfait are all but dead already.

I just miss when Legacy was a bit slower. Like right before RTR was good.

I think you have your meta to fault entirely on this.

If your meta is full of fast decks - you feel Legacy is faster.

For me, when I have to deal with D&T and Miracles a lot - it feels too slow often but if I'd be facing nothing but delvers, infect and ANT I'd think it's a little too fast too

Vintage.

>Legacy

Bant goodstuff.

>Legacy before DRS
Good times, friend. In these dark times me must cherish those memories.

Another good trick with Clique is if you have a bounce effect, such as Vapor Snag, then you can bounce their creature and then hide it using Clique.

Learning how to play against miracles is important. If they miracle a Terminus and they have one in the grave, you can Surgical the one in the grave to hit the one they just drew.

Real men willingly handicap themselves. And lose to Brainstorm decks. And DON'T GIVE A FUCK.

>Then why dose literally every burn list run them?
almost exclusively because of lavamancer.
if your list doesn't run him you should not run fetches. period. the life loss is VERY relevant.

The problems you listed can be combatted with turn 1-2 Marit Lage in addition to the spheres, not too uncommon. Karakas combats SNT variants pretty good. Surgical gets either the combo or Pfire, you can still finish your opponent out with the other while Wasteland+Quartering them out of the game. Blood Moon can be answered, Top finds answers combined with draw 3 every turn pretty good.

Just play a good deck that doesnt need Brainstorm or beats Brainstorm decks.
Theres Lands, Eldrazi, Burn, and Death and Taxes. All of them have great matchups against Brainstorm decks.

Lands is not only expensive but a very difficult deck to play

So I plan on reworking my nic fit list with a few ideas and I'd like some input before I go and buy/sell for changes.

>Remove cute tech now that everyone has seen it.
>Broodmate dragon and huntsmaster out
>sorin and command to sideboard
>Fix my basics because I apparently was drunk when I made the landbase

And here is the fork in the road.
>Keep 4 GSZ, do a toolbox deck with main board hate for the local decks
>Remove 1-3 GSZ in favor of diabolic intent and make the deck around recurring nightmare value
I'm also open to other suggestions, I'll have 1 taiga as to keep red open in the sideboard

On this topic I noticed Aluren is still under Rare and it's definitely more of an Uncommon these days. Maybe we should update the OP.

Add islands and play Brainstorm

Wish I got into Legacy so much earlier then I did. I dont mind most prices of cards since im well off financially and have a Legacy and two Modern decks already but seriously the prices of dual lands are so high now its insane. Most other reserved cards are at least fair besides Tabernacle, Power , and Moat

And Eternal Masters barely helped. Only thing nice it did is gave us a new FoW. Force would probably be a $120 card by now if not reprinted. Jace was nice but the rest of the mythics were trash and the only good rares were top and wasteland.

If I could get a trop or a sea I'd play junk with a leovold

Thats the biggest issue I have with Eternal Masters. The draft environment is good yes but the main purpose of these sets should be to reprint cards of high value and limited supply so that players can play the formats they love more easily. Im not saying they reprinted nothing of value, im definitely glad to have more Forces, Jaces, and Sneak Attacks in the market, but the extremely limited print run causes these products not to do as much as they could. If these products even had 1.5 times the print run they had that would lower the price of something like Force of Will to about $60 and stuff like Sneak Attack into the $10 range. The only masters set that I ever felt achieved both a great limited environment and a fantastic selection of cards that needed reprint was the first Modern Masters. Even today those packs hold their value well and the rares you can crack are fantastic.

What's important to remember is legacy lacks the demand the modern sets have. It's also good to remember that it's supposed to have reprints specific to all eternal format's, not just legacy. Pauper, vintage and commander all got nods in the set, legacy just got the most

I would have thought commander players would drive demand enough to sell more packs.

They get wrongly attributed with every jank rare that's printed but EMM and conspiracy are really the only sets with stuff for them outside an odd common saying each opponent instead of target

>hunt master
Why? Is it cause you bought him for 40 dollars when he was in standard? There's so many better things you can do for 4 mana

It's an alright value creature I could grab with GSZ. I'm cutting it because, just as everyone warned me, it's not as good as I thought it would be.

I put Miracles back together. It's a fun deck.

>I could only just afford a single Bayou, I've got no chance of buying multiple Trops and Seas

What was everyone's first dual land? Mine was badlands.

Volcanic. Badlands is the ultimate cuck dual.

Well I needed one for my deck.

Tundra. It's the copy I keep in my commander deck

>Thespian's Stage copying Dark Depths, swing with 20/20
>difficult to play

I bought two trops and played with one breeding pool for a while when I first started. now I have the full 4 + a playset of underground sea + 2 bayou.

UNL Bayou. I wanted it for my EDH and it conveniently became useful for Legacy purposes after they printed Abrupt Decay.

Badlands for me, too. It's so bad...

Followed up with two Underground Seas. They were marked as "heavily played," but I think one would only be moderate at worst. The other's got gunk on it, so I think hp is fair.

I think I got my 2 seas next also. Then a bayou, then my volc and then trop

I went to my flgs and bought 3 trops last summer. A few days after that I bought 3 volcanics and finished canadian.
A few months after that I splurged on 2 U Seas and a Badlands. Then I went ahead and bought a Bayou, as it is so much better than trop in the SB for TES.
I doubt I'll be buying any in the near future, as I have 2 different decks, with very different playstyles that I enjoy.

not him, are you 10?

I got 4 underground seas, 2 tundra and 4 scrubland in a big trade

>>What deck are you playing/building?
Legacy just started in my area. I took Eldrazi to the first event (2-1, lost to Turbo Depths) and D&T to the second event (2-1, I fucked up against Leovold).

Next event, I'm thinking of playing either Leovold, Turbo Depths, or maybe even UR Delver or Elves.

>>What changes have you made to the deck/sideboard to fight Leovold?
If I play Taxes again, I'm going to have a Pontiff in the side.

>>Next cards you want to purchase?
I dunno. The only legacy cards I don't have playsets of are Grim Tutors and Imperial Recruiters and I'm really not interested in the pertinent decks.

>asian cards
idiot

tfw you have two legacy decks but 0 dual lands

Unless city of traitors counts, dual means two right?

What's up with the teeth user?

Also here is my nic-fit list
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/21-12-16-Gdb-nic-fit/

Plateau. Narset EDH.

>Dead Formats General

A Savannah for Maverick. I wish that deck could be good again.

I'm not terribly fond of birthing pod as a strategy but Maren looks exactly like what I want to do with recurring nightmare. The teeth are for counters when I need one for something that only uses one counter, or to put on my deck to remind me of SDT/Sylvan library since I can be pretty forgetful those some triggers, especially during tournaments

*about those triggers or about some triggers. Somehow got squished into one phrase in my head

You don't play for teeth?

Pic related

I think people would believe that you have a bayou in the legacy thread, no need to timestamp. nice mat though

It turns on searing blaze and fuels grim lavamancer. A minor improvement but every point of damage counts.

No idea... they were only $10-12 when I picked them up.

>no teeth
Get out

Truth be told I only got it 2 weeks ago. And if it turns out to be shit in ANT, I've still got a spot in karador for it.
>nice mat though

My first GP. I was terrible because I played the SOM fastlands instead of $50 shocks or $150 duals.
>mfw almost a third of the field was on maverick with maindeck thalia and gaddock teeg

I ground up the teeth to white-border the land.

>someone approved drs
>a 1/2 for g/b
>with 3 relevant abilities
>that are also hate
>and is an elf
Rtr was a mistake

Their reason for printing it was fucking stupid too
>be design team
>think scavenge will bully standard too much because we're fucking stupid
>preemptively include GY hate that is both undercosted and EXCEPTIONALLY effective
>end up with DRS and RIP which ripple through eternal formats and leave permanent impressions on the game, far beyond what scavenge could have ever hoped to accomplish
These fucking people

They do really fucking loathe dredge and friends. They dont even hide it.

I think Rest In Peace is the least fun card ever printed. I don't see how anyone can look at that card and think, "yes, this makes the game more fun for all players involved"

RiP allows you to do "fun" stuff like Energy Field and Helm of Obedience