/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Zombies edition!

To make cards download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
or register for free here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

I always hate when I make a thread theme but realize I don't have any cards for it. So, I decided to make this in like a minute. Sorry.

Not bad, though I am disappointed that you didn't use the current frame.

I'm absolutely sure Essence is OP but I wanted to make two commanders that were inspired by the Protoss and the Zerg respectively.

>I'm absolutely sure Essence is OP
Why do you think that? I don't really see it, but I could be wrong. As for the other, wouldn't a more accurate ability be something like
>Each creature you control gets +1/+1 for each other creature you control.
Maybe. And as for Protoss and Zerg, just make cards that adapt them directly if you want.

I'm just sure there's some easy infinite combos or something like that similar to necrotic ooze but on the battlefield instead.

and I don't want to make Protoss and Zerg, I was just making other cards and thought about those two and their "creation" by the xel'naga and was inspired

Well, maybe, but it would have to at least be a three-card combo, which I think people are normally fine with.

Well, you don't have to do it, I was just making a suggestion.

Sorry if I came across as rude didn't mean it that way.
>card
I like it as a color shift, seems moderately okay in white so it works well. Is it a one of or do you have a lot of colorshifted cards? I'm a sucker for that border

Nah, it's fine.

I've done a few colorshifts, not a whole lot. I'm sure I could be at it for days if I just tried to colorshift as much as possible. I do think it's an interesting exercise for flavoring though. That is, getting across a particular flavor through the name and mechanics. Like this, using darkness to justify Hexproof. Honestly, I am kinda disappointed that the use of darkness for something like this hasn't been done much, but on the other hand, I realize that it breaks the pie.

But this will probably be my all-time favorite. Funnily enough, the entire card started with the name, which was actually a typo. I was trying to talk about the "Demons Magic has" but wrote "Demon's Magic", and someone suggested it should be a card.

Colorshifting is fun, continuing the black theme

Still don't get how this effect landed on a mono-Blue card.

Cool, but how did you not notice that giant empty line at the top?

Weirdly enough it didn't have one before I saved it, I'm not sure. I went back and fixed it in MSE now but not gonna double post the same card lol

Is this acceptable at rare or should it be bumped to mythic?

These are very cool.
>it's an interesting exercise for flavoring though.
100% agree
>Like this, using darkness to justify Hexproof. Honestly I am kinda disappoointed that hte use of darkness for something like this hasn't been done much
150% agree.

Though black is my favorite color, I personally find it the easiest to colorshift something into.
Any other nonblack examples?

I know right.

Acceptable at rare.

Hard to tell. The thing with Scry is that it's one of those mechanics that's useful, but it doesn't actually DO anything. Like looking at your opponents' hands. It's cool, but does seeing their cards stop them from killing you with them? No, not really.

>Any other nonblack examples?
I did the first three you linked to, and I had this idea recently, of a Blue variant of Fear. The idea being that Blue is very clever and can trick other creatures to get past them, but other Blue creatures are impossible to trick, and artifact creatures are unliving and essentially too dumb to trick. Though now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever shifted to Green. Might need to change that.

And this is a pretty obvious shift. I really like the art I got for it though.

OK, one Green card done.

Yeah, no.

What makes you say that?

That's pretty cool.
I think any evasion that isn't flying is worth examining in blue.

This is a popular one, so popular that Wizards probably will do it if they ever do another set with a colorshifted theme.

Honestly I quite like this. It's creature removal that depends on your own creature sticking around. I think it's actually very clever and very green.
It's removal but you don't 'properly' get rid of the opponent's creature. And losing yours gives theirs back. Actually makes tons of sense the more I think about it. Nice!

Yeah, no U.

This is more what I was expecting with the 'Yeah, no.' comment. Just plain outright exile is to close to hard spot removal, which they don't like to give green.
Flavor is sweet though, and that's a fairly obscure card too. That vampire from Dark Ascension iirc.
This would be very nice colorshifted into multicolored black+green.

I smell planeshifts.

Well, colorshifts are cool and everything, but I feel like I should get back to my CO set. This is Cassie, haven't updated her in a while. Honestly, the Wonder Woman stuff hasn't been that great to develop because there's honestly not much to convert to Magic. I mean, the powers essentially just boil down to basic flying brick. Strong, tough, flies. And that's it. Though I have been having quite a bit of fun with making "Auras and Equipments matter" as the Amazon tribal mechanic. If anyone has any suggestions for what to do with Cassie here, I'm all ears.

Basically made for another user who wanted Red to have Vigilance. Not colorshifted Red, actual Red. I thought the flavor he was proposing was interesting, but that it just didn't work mechanically.

>Just plain outright exile is to close to hard spot removal, which they don't like to give green.
Well, yeah, that's why it's a colorshift and not an actual Green card. I posted a mono-Black card with Hexproof earlier in the thread too, as well as a mono-Black counterspell, both of those colorshifted as well.

And here's a Wrath that's intended to work with Amazon tribal.

Yeah I'm not the 'yeah no' guy, just commenting.

I think superhero stuff in general is a bitch to design because the power level of the average magic creature (or planeswalker, for that matter) is waaaay below a superhero. Especially DC.

I spent hours today making tri-color cards with 3 keywords each from both Ravnica blocks. I have 20, this is one of the better ones.

What am I doing with my life?

I would put the populate before evolve, so that the card reads better. Forecast also needs to be more expensive or have more colors.

Sorry for the weird post format my internet was being buggy.

I'd really like to make the flavor of this card work, if you have a different mechanic suggestion let me know

Noted. These are all probably shite from a balance/cost perspective, but they were fun to make.

The way it's ordered right now is perfect. Evolve is an ability keyword similar to the evergreen keywords, where as populate isn't. Show me a card where a non-ability keyword was listed first on the card.

When it comes to keywords like populate, look at what they did with Bygone Bishop and Bearer of OVerwhelming Truths. Very similar to your card here, notice how the ability keywords like Prowess and Flying are the first things listed on the card, and then the investigate trigger.

Since we have confirmation that the next of Lilliana's demons, Razaketh, is on Amonketh, I decided to have a few tries at making him myself, following the examples set by Griselbrand and Kothophed.
I aimed at a powerlevel between those two, no idea if I've managed it.

name sounds funny to British people

>that BLOODY hydra is back, AGAIN

can anyone find me stonemans storefront?

Well yes, it is a bit hard to get the flavor across through P/T, and there are a lot of cards that are just very expensive because of their big bodies, but I think I worked out a system for it. Anyway, I hate to be pushy, but do you have any opinions on the two CO cards I posted already?

Very nice. Though I think FStrike should be above the counters ability.

Huh?

Still tinkering with this. Not sure how the ability should work, like, should the Equipment be put to hand, should the cost be changed?

So ... I heard we were going in Egypt ...

You order texts on cards as:
Effects that are about casting (Split second, convoke, evoke, ect)
Keywords
Triggered effects (Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control... , When ~ enters the battlefiled, ect)
Activated abilities
Upkeep costs and end of turn effects (See like 90% of hellions)
Flavor text

New version. user said the last version had too much going on, so I deleted the entire first ability and replaced that with Hexproof. Considering how the repeatable O-Ring effect works, I was wondering if I could get away with lowering the mana cost for Stormy, since I feel like lowering the ability cost might be too oppressive.

>~ can't be blocked.
As for the last ability, I personally would change it to return the Horror to hand first, then discard, just so you have the choice to chuck the Horror. Kinda like... I dunno, Fleshbag, if that makes sense. You also need to update your frames.

Uh, I don't think entering with counters on it is covered by your list. Just saying.

Woops, mb. Enters with effects happen after keywords and before tiggered effects.

what kind of sick fuck takes a photograph instead of a screenshot, and doesn't even bother to rotate said photo
Also, myr are probably genderless.
I like the design. I'd make it either a 0/0 or a 0/1 - a 1/0 is both ugly and largely nonfunctional. Maybe make it "creatures and artifacts", given it's Mirrodin?

You need to make her even more expensive since you replaced an ok ability with an even better one

>Mystic
White can do just actual turn aside if you want. You don't need to make it strictly worse. Hell you could probably slap, "You gain 1 life" on turn aside and put it in white and it would still be fine.
>Tibalt
really garbage but it's what you'd expect from a 2 mana walker. This feels really mono R. Like, all of these effects have really only been printed in red. this fails to be BR.
>Molten
Seems fine, if a little too niche. Does your set contain a lot of land fall or something?
>Gatewatch
THis is really silly but feels fine. Getting to fire off a bunch of -2/-3 effects in 1 turn could be insane tempo but having to use 5 colors to do it makes it fine.
>Midnight Lotus
All this says to me is, "what can I do to break this?" and the first thing that came to mind was finding a way to make equipping free so I can use this + resembling skeleton for infinite mana. There isn't really a way to balance this without ruining the black lotus feel. I'll just say, it's too good, but there is no reasonable way to make it broken so it's fine.

I do? I did?

Coming back to working on a custom set after like a year plus. Still really liked this mechanic and theme for the set, where it makes deckbuilding much more interesting and mirror matches. Really need other ideas that would be neat additions to use with this mechanic. Any suggestions?

>Coming back to working on a custom set after like a year plus.
Uh, refresh my memory, who are you?

That's the thing, I don't know who still commonly uses these threads anymore. So what difference does it make? I'm just throwing out there I haven't really thought of making cards until recently again.

>Mystic Ward
Nice.

>Tibalt
Another argument against two-mana planeswalkers.

>Molten Shaping
Hmm, seems like fun. No idea on balance.

>Gatewatch
What the fuck? First, probably trash, dunno. It's like Conflux's weaker brother. And what's up with that wording? Just say
>Search your library for a Gideon card, a Jace card, a Liliana card, a Chandra card, and a Nissa card, and put them onto the battlefield.

>Midnight Lotus
Actually seems interesting. Not so much as an equipment though. Might as well post my lotus too. I don't think I ever made up my mind on whether or not this if finalized.

I dunno, can you give us a card you posted before? That might help.

I posted stuff about turning Mage Knights into Magic the Gathering cards, I have two other set symbols, as it was supposed to be a 3-part block. (I started to work on it during Theros)

These are some cards from the other sets, maybe the set symbol rings a bell, idk.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of "same name as this" mechanics. But that's probably just me. Anyway, the reminder text shouldn't actually use the name of the card itself, you should use reminder text that could work on pretty much every card that Demanding is on.

Oh god, I just realized what Demanding does. What on earth is this?

>Squander
No, please no. Please don't use Demanding. It feels like one of those mechanics put onto cards that are too good to try and justify how good they are. But on the other hand, you do so many different things with it, I can't really tell what it's for.

Demanding is supposed to be a taxing mechanic that affects all players using the card. There's times where having copies in the graveyard is good and others that they are not. The difference between Rift Sweep and Squander shows that. Rift Sweep is supposed to be good on it's first and third casting, but not as good any other time, which makes "mirror" matches more unique than who drew better, it's who uses it better. Squander is fine if it exists in a format where cards like RIP and Leyline of the Void aren't there, and I wanted this to be more of a standalone set. Limited and Block Construction mainly.

Well, you're right, I don't really recognize any of these.

>Alrisar
Seems interesting, though Wizards changed how mana works, so now C is added to your mana pool instead.

>Pyresphere
Eh, not sure about this one. And the wording should be
>"T, Remove a +1/+1 counter from this creature

>Tired Knight
Eh, wot?

>Deathsinger
Hmm, seems interesting.

>Rage Cultist
Odd condition. What does it work with other than Transfigure? Also, we don't say "into play" we use "onto the battlefield" now.

>Grave
Should say creature card. Might be too good, dunno.

>Muh Lava!
This needs to be rewritten. Also, I don't really like how this works, seems easily exploitable. I think it should offer the players a choice, similar to Choice of Damnations or something.

>Tired Knight
It's a 3 drop that's effectively a 5 drop.
Cast on T3 it enters tapped. T4 comes it's still tapped, T5 it's untapped. Flavor is that he's a powerful knight who doesn't want to do anything, but after awhile he gets up and does his thing.

>Rage Cultist
CoCo, Chord of Calling, etc.

>Muh Lava
It has interesting origins when making something. I wanted to make a creature that has a subgame of itself on the card.
Practically you trade life for counters that you can cash into life at a later date. It makes an interesting decision on how much life you want to pay since paying zero can result in your opponent just killing it themselves and you lose the game, or if you want to be a faggot, kill it when the first trigger is on the stack and get a draw, I might get rid of that, but I thought it would at least be interesting. But it's like the Innistrad Mythic Trees.It's just a subgame with life points. If that makes sense.

tfw no good art so you gotta go with some shitty backgroundless stuff.

You mind if I steal that concept for my Tau set? basic concept for them is gonna be a mix between blink effects and evasion.

I think it would be better if it gave more choice to the opponents how to use it.

No I don't mind. But there's a reason the ability is on a colorshifted card.

>Shadowsun
From what I can tell from the lore, she seems like a very aggressive type, not sure if this really fits. Also, if mono-Blue is forcing discard, it should allow that player to draw a card in return. Regardless, glad you're still with us.

>Zombie edition!
It hurts to unlive.

0/0/10

>0/0/10
Erry time.

I hate this card every time because of the name of it, but there's not much you can do about that.

Other than that, seems okay. At seven mana its okay to have game ending creatures swing out of nowhere, and this is a poor man's Akroma for one less.

>Reveal cards from the top of target player's library until...
Whoops. Not on the ball today. Brain fried from statistical mechanics.

Added Blue and pumped +1/+1.

>I hate this card every time because of the name of it, but there's not much you can do about that.
What do you hate about it? I thought it would be cute to do it this way, but I can render it differently if you like.

>Brainscrape
Eh, not liking this one. The entire point of the effect is to get rid of stuff you don't want to see again, but when it's more or less random like this, it feels pointless. Seems like a junk rare for a set.

Isn't this guy like the only man in Gensoko/Gensokyo/Gensyoko? Anyway, I'd probably feel more comfortable if the ability where a cheap, maybe 1 mana activated ability, but that's just me.

That kind of effect is weird. Make it a permanent effect of some sort, like " At the beginning of a player's upkeep, you may look at the top two cards of that player's library ", or make it something like you'd need to tap that creature for the effect, then that creature is untapped at the end of the effect.

This gets really shady in print and can easily get abused by cheaters.

He's not the only male, but one of the only named male characters.

>Rinnosuke
See pic related for precedence/template. This is a special action that doesn't use the stack, but like unmorphing, paying Leonin Arbiter, etc. you have to have priority to do so.

>Troll
It bugs me that the parentheses in the name end up as faux-reminder text in the rules text.

>Brainscrape
Maybe make it nonland so you can't stumble on a fetch and only minorly inconvenience them?

Is it looking at other peoples libraries, being able to do it repeatedly for free, or doing it to more than one card at once? Because there have been variants of those over the years, but not quite in this fashion.

>Geomancy
This is a mechanic that gets tossed around here every now and then. If this is a keyword action like Investigate, it needs to be tied to a trigger on a creature.

Some of the X-Men are weird. Not sure if I should adjust the costs since he's so resilient. Wording trying to get around abuse and weird interactions with certain cards.

Trying to do a few more Marvel things. If anyone has any ideas for cards for Hellion or X-23, please let me know, they've both been hard for me to get down.

This needs a trigger. Also, you could just make the reminder text
>Create a tapped colorless Gem artifact token with "T, Sacrifice this artifact: Add C to your mana pool."

Whoops, I stand corrected, Lens of Clarity is NOT a special action, its a rules modifier. I honestly don't know why its not a special action.

Also this is apparently a red effect too. :^)

Anyways, changed it to cost U for the same effect.

Nothing changed here. Specifically four cards because I liked the idea of eliminating an entire playset of cards.

>It bugs me that the parentheses in the name end up as faux-reminder text in the rules text.
I'll just write it out then. I had to do it for the last ability anyway.

>Brainscrape
I just can't ever see a point where anyone would decide to use it in their deck. The randomness of it is completely contradictory to how people want to use the effect.

Should be obvious. I don't play much and have zero idea if this is good or not. Yes it's pulled from Lantern, but still.

Yes, its due to all of those factors at once. It means a cheater could look at them, quickly reorganize them, and basically get to almost-fate-seal their opponent when they aren't supposed to be able to.
You can't cheat it like this if it was just 1 card. It would still have the risk of ordering getting cheated if it was an activated ability.

woops I'm dumb. Thanks. I wasn't sure on the, "create a tapped" thing would work.

Telekinetic, manipulates things and can create psychic barriers. Design isn't the best, but I don't really know what to do with him.

Here's the fixed rotation. Is the ability too strong? I want to keep the setting sun flavor but I'm not sure if there's a better ability to be used for exchange for losing counters

>Creatures you control GAIN protection...
Evasion to everyone is fairly strong, but it kills itself and is rather slow, so perhaps it's ok.

It's fine.
Realistically, paying 3 colors of mana for a 4/3 is what you'll get. It slowly dies, and at best lets you get free attacks in for a few turns till it dies sense your opponent can just kill your things on your turn.
It can't even be used to protect a combo sense unless the combo pieces are on the board before the trigger resolves they won't have protection, and if they were already on the board your opponent already had their chance to remove it.

>sense
"since" not "sense"

Would you say it's worth playing as is?

>You can't cheat it like this if it was just 1 card. It would still have the risk of ordering getting cheated if it was an activated ability.
But its existed as an activated ability before. See Orcish Spy () for a case where you peek at multiple cards and you're not allowed to rearrange. Hell, its a Modern-legal one-drop that's been reprinted!

Seems like a shitton of work for not a lot of benefit.

>cards
Have a half-cycle. Three-fifths of a cycle. Or something.

Actually its spells "Syns".

Remph? Kind of but not really. The issue is for turn 3s constructed decks for modern+ have better turn 3s in the form of bolt + goyf, lil of V, dack fayden, ect. A 4/3 for 3 is nice, and the effects it gives can be relevent, but it would probably be too slow for any kind of robots build for modern or legacy, though it could be a 1 of.
As for a standard format, I think it would come down to how important being able to get past blockers is, as well as how mono-colored the format is. But, if a format of standard is mono colored while sunburst is in the keyword pool there is something wrong.

>Actually its spells "Syns".
Is English not your first language?

Why is the blue one mythic? Also mercury isn't flexible, it's fluid.

Because I'm a dingus and designed two of them, went to go work some homework problems, and then came back and designed the third. It should be Rare.

And I suck at flavor text and Mercury's alchemical properties (transformation, fluidity, volatility) didn't quite capture where I wanted to go with the card. Fluidity seemed like a poor way to refer to intelligence or quickness of thought (although I can see people disagreeing) and volatility was too close to flammability (more properly combustibility) for my tastes.

This should be in R and produce RRR.
Also is the ability to tell when someone is shit posting something you lack?

As a two drop it functions as a 3/2 blocker. If you add counters to it is gets significantly better.

>This should be in R and produce RRR.
Well its a reprint of an actual card, so I'm not sure if this is shitposting.

Also, this needs to be worded so that your millkicker works properly.
>As an additional cost to cast ~, you may put the top three cards of your library into your graveyard.
>Target opponent discards a card. If you put three cards into your graveyard to cast ~, that opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.

Or just make it actual kicker, because then the rules backend already exists. Or keyword it, so then you can do "If ~ was scornful, that opponent..."

A 3/2 blocker that attacks as a 2/1 evasive, and then... dies? Provided I have two untapped colors on turn two? Still seems a bit bad.

No change from the last time I posted this. I hate vague powers, so I hate this guy the most because he has the vaguest power I've ever seen.

It's the internet, tone doesn't carry.

Also, I use the purple/special set symbol to denote reprints.

>Cruel Insurgence
Scorn feels like something barely worth mentioning. It's not much of a cost, which you probably realized because the effect is so small. But if you do decide to continue with it, I think it'd be better to make Scorn more like Kicker or Exploit. Like
>Scorn (As an additional cost to cast this spell, you may put the top three cards of your library into your graveyard.)
>If ~ was scorned, [...]

black cant counter without giving an out, mana doesn't count.

acceptable outs would be sac a creature, land, discard, pay life etc.

It's a colorshift. You realize what that is, right? It's taking a card and altering it to work in a different color, keeping as much of the original intact as possible. And the color it goes to it doesn't go to because it fits within the color pie, but because it works from a flavor standpoint. It's a "What If?" version of a card, that's all.