Board Game General /bgg/

Last thread:
Pastebin:
>pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Repetitive strategies, what games seem to always devolve into the same old shit for you /bgg/? Any house rules/changes/suggestions to fix this problem? Is there a problem with optimal opening/finishing moves or is it ok as long as the bulk of the game is interesting and varies?

In Battlestar Galactica, we gjave a player who's really good at playing a Cylon, so we send him to the brig first chance we get then just roll the dice whether he's really a traitor or not.

Maan I wish i had people to play BSG with

Which is the best version of Risk? Or, what would be the best alternative to Risk?

Lord of the Rings Trillogy edition with the BBG variant

During some Holidays, we played three weeks of Werewolf twice a day with the exact same persons, going through the exact same process all the time (kill this person, ask this person for werewolvery, denounce this person) but obviously with random cards all the time so that the process was fucked up and never "perfect", twas pretty weird and repetitive but it created something pretty cool nonetheless.

Love Letter, first round is always "guard, left neighbour, you have a baron" for all players, anyone who doesn't do that must have the princess. We all convinced ourselves it's a golden strategy when of course it's ridiculous but heh, collective mind.

Quick, what should I get for this weekend, DOOM or retail version of Conan?

Maybe risk legacy or kemet?

DooM
Conan has to many kickstarter exclusives to buy retail.

Anybody got a suggestion for alternatives to jungle speed? I really want this game but its kinda pricey/hard to find...

closest things i know of are rainbow rage and set.

halp? thanks in advance!

oh snap i just realized i didn't check bgg marketplace haha, apparently its on there for a fair price so i guess im ok. Still curious if there are any similar games im unaware of though! :)

also, any opinions on original jungle speed vs safari?

which race for the galaxy expansions should i be getting?

>Jungle Speed
>Hard to find
Where are you from?
If its europe you can get the German version for like 20$, which is a fair and cheap price.

Tbh race is best without expansions. The objectives are lame and the new cards don't add much of an experience.

Roll's is worth it though. Not a fan of the extra dove as they confuse new players, but the additional tiles add a lot to the variety of the game

Yeah i actually found a couple copies on bgg market that are for a fair price, my bad. Failed to do some proper research before posting lol in any case im still interested in similar games if you know of any?

I'm a total newb, haven"t really played board games since childhood. This christmas we got Evolution with my gf and we love it. So could you help me select my next purchase? I would like some entry-level eurogame with decent strategy, good replayability, ok with 2 players only but suitable for more, and most importantly something that will not put us off. Maybe one of the following:
Stone Age
Puerto Rico
Agricola
Carcassonne
Catan
Or anything else in the same price range.
(I know i should get most of those classics, I'm just asking what to get first)

>I'm a total newb, haven"t really played board games since childhood. This christmas we got Evolution with my gf and we love it. So could you help me select my next purchase?
Find a group, play their games for a bit. You have no information about what you like.

Just got War of the Ring and Growing Hunger (expansion for LNoE) for my birthday.

I'm probably going to be broke because of board games.

Castles of burgundy

PR is mostly 3-5 players. Never tried the 2p variant but it seems like they didnt design around that. Catan is 3-4 players, so its weird to pick too.

To be honest I find most games that go from 2 players to X either not fun as multiplayer game or as heads up game. Since in 3+ players there is an element of ganging up on stronger players and letting a weak player catch up, while 1v1 games are as much about holding back someone else as it is about improving your own game.

I'll put that on my list of maybes, thanks.
Thanks! I will check out some duel style games as well than.
There is a store nearby where they let the customer try stuff out, they also have game nights. I'm just don't know if it is ok to go to one of those with 0 experience on the subject.

Go to the store, first time is a bit awkward but most board gamers are chill.
From my experience playing with a girlfriend is different from playing with the guys, and like someone here said there aren't many great 1v1 games that transition into 3+.

Give Splendor a try, and do go to that place and try as many games as you possibly can.
Also don't just buy shit, research and try and get your hands on a test run either from someone from a Meet Up, Facebook, LFGS, or w/e.

Usually they are happy to help and get new players. Also the people working there can give you some advice on what games you might like. The only problem is that if you played no games at all you cant really say what parts you like to see in a game. So you just have to try some games out and see which games you like and which not.

Carcassone is a great game no matter what and very user friendly. It's simple and easy to teach to anyone. It's probably better with 3+ but it still works with 2. I've taught and played it with just my gf a couple of times

we just feel like we want the game to last longer.

there is always someone that starts seeing that his best shot at winning is to quickly get 12 buildings with decent VP.

star realms

xeno invasion has a 8.0 on bbg. have you played that one ?

Damnit /bgg/ what did you! WHAT DID YOU DO!?!

MOTHERFUCKER

What did he meme by this?

Huge fan of Tower Defenses in computer gaming, is Castle Panic as td-y as it seems? Anyone has some input?

TI3 always opens with every 2carrier race grabbing a ton of planets and using the production to stay ahead forever. I always win because I get Support for the Thrones using a complex web of game theory moves during Assembly. It's such a boring way to win but no one can stop me. We love assembly but might have to switch back to political because of it.

It's like an actual, physical version of 9gag.

Seconding. $10-15 for hundreds of hours of strategy that will force you to get better every time you play. I've played at least 1000 games now and my strategies have gotten so abstract I can't remember why newbs make certain decisions.

Blame the publishers/designers, not the players here. They're the ones who thinks shit like that will sell to the masses.

Which is exactly why we should blame the players. Maybe if enough weren't braindead fucktards but nope, lowest common denominator.

Implying anyone here buys in to the cards against humanity exploding kittens style of game design

I've got Castle Panic but I wouldn't it's too similar to tower defense. They're similar in the way that you have hordes of monsters rushing from all sides to destroy whatever your territory is. The difference is in tower defense you place down an obstacle and then sit back and watch while in castle panic you have to sacrifice cards/men to damage the monsters. Each soldier card can only be used in a certain area of the board so that adds some strategy to the game. You also have cards to reinforce your castle walls or to delay the approach of enemies. Castle Panic is a co-op game so you can trade cards between players to try and get the most out of a turn.

It's a pretty simple and fun light game I think. It's a lot simpler and lighter than Pandemic for example but there are still a few tense moments in the game. I'd also say that it's heavier than Forbidden Island if you've played that one. You pull tiles out randomly when you are placing down new enemies and a few of them are designed to screw over the players which can take a perfectly thought out plan and throw it out the window. I haven't played in a few years but iirc I'd say I've won more times than I've lost but I have lost enough to be memorable.

It's not going to be the game you pull out and play all night long but it's a quick (hour playtime I think?) and simple game that you and friends (or just you if you're forever alone) can play and probably enjoy.

I've seen people defend Cosmic Encounter and Shadow Hunters.

My only input is that having "true" TD in a board game would be hard (because it's hard to have HP in board games).

I have a vague idea of making a TD/deckbuilder hybrid that I think would kind of work but... yeah.

You should also check out Ghost Stories.

Take a look at Neuroshima: Convoy.
It generally gets medium to favorable reviews and is often described as feeling like a tower defense.

Top 3 games?

Mine are:

1) Agricola
2) Race for the Galaxy
3) Dominion

Terra Mystica
Terraforming Mars
Voyages of Marco Polo

Machi Koro.
Yay or nay?
I thought about buying it for the girl since she love Splendor, and it has the same idea of building an engine just with a bit more luck in the equation.

>a bit more luck
Nothing but luck. May as well go play game of life.

Millenium Blades
Thunderstone Advance
Spectre Ops

Machi Koro is VERY random. But it does it relatively well with keeping everybody involved in everyone else's turns. If you're okay with VERY random gameplay then it's just fine.

If you're looking for another shortish, easy engine building game take a look at Arcadia. It's pretty good.

How good is spectre ops? Replayable? Easy to teach? FUN GAMEPLAY?

The little girl in that picture is quite well known. is this legal?

Oh boy, here we go with this shit again.

>People aren't allowed to enjoy fun games

buzzword alert
post invalid

The game is extremely easy to teach and straight forward. I'll do it right here for you.

-The agent wins if they active three of the four objectives and then escape.
-The hunters win if they kill the agent or run out the fourty turn clock
-Turns alternate between the agent and the team of hunters.
-When i'ts your turn you move up to four spaces
-The agent writes their moves down on a paper pad while the hunters have their figures on the board.
-If the agent is visible in a straight up/down/left/right line (no diagonals) from the hunters either at the end of the agent movement or at the end of a hunter's movement, then the agent has to place their figure on the board
-Hunters attack an agent they can see (orthagonal to and unobstructed) by rolling a six sided die and comparing the result to the number of spaces away If you equal or exceed the distance then you hit the agent for 1 damage
-The agent completes an objective by being next to it at the start of their turn

There, that's the rules. Everything else is setup, equipment, particulars about some board elements, and special rules of the unique hunters/agents.

Well, she's not in nude or any otherwise "risque" situation, so I would imagine it is legal. Maybe not in Australia.

As for the other questions, I find it very replayable since there's four unique agents and four unique hunters so there's quite a few combinations as well as it being relatively shortish (around an hour when you're comfortable with the game)

And this is the hidden movement game I've had the most fun with because both the hunters and agent have fixed starting locations so you always have some form of lead meaning there's always pressure and tension, and it doesn't drag on to 3+ hours like fury of dracula. Plus its super simple rules allow you to focus on the hunt and not tons of interlocking game mechanics that break the tension.

But is it legal to sell a picture of someone else without consent just because you find the picture on the internet? If I made a game called hot or not and just filled it with images of profile pictures from various websites, you think there's nothing stopping that?

>Specter Ops
muh nigga

I've unfortunately only been able to play it once but I think it has potential to be a really fun game if I can get my friends into it. One issue you could say is that if one side is much more calculating and plans out more than the others than that side should have no trouble winning. I've only played 1v1 where my friend playing the hunters had two hunters to control. I ended up steamrolling him and only getting hit once because I used a smoke grenade to slip across the board and left him in the dust.

Granted, that was his first time playing the game and he didn't know what all equipment I could have had. So I'd imagine that it'd be a lot of fun and really intense with a group who knew everything that the other side could do.

Have any of you guys played Orléans? I picked it up today and am looking forward to play a 4 player game this sunday. Read the rules and watched a few reviews and the game seems solid. So far I like at least the art-style, something in it just really hits my comfy-nerve

>is this legal?

Check out Istambul

Really? That much simpler? Because I already feel that Pandemic rides the line on being too simple at time.
Yeah, I think capturing the feeling is what I was going for, it's not like I'm expecting a 1:1 copy of gameplay, thanks for the input
Will do!

It was crowd-funded. We should definately hate the players.

a TD-style game that's been on my wishlist for ages is The King's Armory, it looks pretty neat but I'm not sure about its replayability

Played Gloom recently and I fucking loved it.

What are some similar games with a storytelling angle? I know Munchkin and Once Upon a Time, but is there anything else similar?

1) Scythe
2) Eclipse
3) Glory to Rome

When I said that Castle Panic is simpler I meant that there is less going on at all points in the game. It's easier to win in Castle Panic, there are less "lose conditions" (you lose if all 6 inner towers are destroyed, that's it), there are less things to keep track of, there are no chain reactions that require you to be careful not to over or under count. Castle panic usually has maybe one or two threats on the board at a time whereas Pandemic can have 5+ depending on how things go.

Castle Panic is more laid back where you usually have less of a chance of input overload.

>Munchkin
>Storytelling angle
You wot mate?

What's Gloom like? I've always wanted to play it but I haven't had a chance yet.

Not that previous guy but I own it so: Really absolutely depends on the people you play it with. It's a great game all the time and I've had a blast each time, but the actual plays felt very differently, from actually trying to put a story together to Whil Wheaton's Tabletop-levels of utter bullshit (it was at my flatmate's birthday and people asked me if I was down for a game).

Also: Fuck yeah, I have my copy of Santorini sitting here and waiting for an opponent, along with four others I have to deliver to their respective owners. It's a thing of beauty.

DOOM is fun as heck, but I haven't played conan

>tfw too smart to play board games

Come on, two days in a row? It's not that slow in here.

Tell me about Scythe and Eclipse.

I own Caverna but want a game where combat is an option / there is more player interaction. I've heard ppl say Scythe either has a lot or very little interaction.

> mfw trolls to stupid to come up with even 1/10 level bait...

I got a guy who has the 500$ kickstarter pledge for dungeon sage that he's wanting to let go of. It's mostly a trade, maybe some cash also going his way.

So how does it stack up against, say, descent 2e? Conan? The others?

I know I certainly have grown to dislike descent 2e, and watching what few videos there are (that dice tower review is awful. I want a nice concise review, not a how to play), it seems pretty promising.

So...yeah. Thoughts on dungeon saga?

I tried watching the tabletop episode of gloom but I closed my browser in the first five minutes. Holy fuck I can't believe I actually used to enjoy watching that shitfest

Eclipse is mostly about avoiding conflict as much as possible until the last 2 turns where you blast each other to hell. There's not much player interaction until then in the base game, you just go around exploring new planets, killing aliens, and buying tech until everyone has ships loaded with plasma missiles. The players who do engage in earlier interplayer conflict will fall behind because they wasted actions and money on fighting rather than research or exploring. The game is fun enough for a couple times, but it's like a Cold war simulator without any of the actual political intrigue or player interaction, and lots of down time between players. Would have been better as a co-op game

Twilight Struggle
Rex
Lord of Waterdeep

>tfw dumb fuck has no face

>Being this shit at eclipse.
Don't talk if you're a retarded scrub desu.

High level eclipse usually features players switching sides of the board due to how aggressive they play.

You can look it up on youtube, people play eclipse competitively.

>tfw
is that feel when
>mfw
is my face when

I think Stronghold is somewhat Tower Defensey.

I see. Thanks for clearing.
Replayability?
Will take a look! Thanks for the suggestion.

that feeling when you punch and organize a new game

What game?

Falling Sky.

Want to purchase a fantasy dungeon crawl and was thinking between RuneBound or Warhammer Quest. Which would you choose?

I hear a lot of you talking about Millennium Blades.

I like self contained card games that are easy to get into without a ton of terminology to learn.

I also like economics and trading, so the "buy" phase has a lot of appeal to me.

Is there any red pill you guys can feed me on this game or give/show me a good let's play or whatever?
Is the base set fine? I've seen new expansions on the lvl 99 site and wonder if those are good too?

Thanks friends.

Small World

>new top 10 video
>opens with Sam shitting on KD:M
It's gonna be a good day

>two and a half bald men
wgaf

Since when has Sam's opinion ever mattered?

Defense Grid: The Board Game

>some guy who sucks jesus's cock
>hates a game that involves sex and brutal combat
who ever would have seen that coming

How the fuck is one supposed to get board games in Australia.

Just saw Millennium Blades. Looks sick but no retailer will ever stock it in this trash country and postage is like $40+

Games Paradise has it for 130 AUD with free postage.

Says to "try later"

The reprint is shipping to backers soon, isn't it? Will some copies find their way to retailers?

A guy brought Adrenaline at my LGS and described it was "FPS in a board game form" and I was quite skeptical of that description but boy was he spot on.

It's like you're playing Quake/Unreal Tournament in board game form.

Heard the same about Frag.

Played it once didn't like it.

If you want to have fun you'll get shafted.

If you want to autistically and painstakingly do the optimal play you'll have to spend a loooong time taking your turns (because the board game can change state so rapidly that you can't think on your opponents turn) and even if you score optimally every round it still falls back to luck.