WIP - Painting/Converting/Sculpting General

"should have more good title images saved" edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Archive 1.1.0.7.6.3
youtube.com/watch?v=cSCOaowF2UI

Previous Thread: 51387383

Slow progress on the crew for the next raider. This way I can put off working on the sail racks, hate painting splinter rifles more than anything else in the range. It's the fucking barrel channels.

fucked up on the previous thread link.

Hey guys.

Can anybody throw some cool paint schemes at me?

Failing that what do you guys do when you just can't think of what colours you want to paint something?

For what army, what theme?

Opinions? Green stuff the inside too along the connections?

I'm making a counts as Harker with a Cadian, flamer arms and the HWT Heavy Bolter and this thing is way too big. I want to cut it down by like 1/4 but this is my first conversion and I have no idea how to make such drastic cuts with an xacto knife.

definitely looks better than without. overall the fact that the blocks are so large and aren't curved makes it look sorta school-project

You're gonna want a razor saw

Imperial Knight. Imperial aligned. Oversized and on the verge of tearing itself apart over succession from a High King who has been on his last legs for far too long. Acting regent pretty much does his job now but everything is falling down around his ears.

That's all I can give you for theme. Sorry.

'Cronz n the hood

Managed to get up to this point in just over 2 weeks doing little bits here and there. Which is good for me since I've been collecting for 15 years and never had a fully painted army.

Making some progress on the Termie Captain. Though I find myself lost on what to paint that fabric bit hanging between his legs. Don't know if I want to go with black or a more leathery colour. Also critiques would be nice.

show me your Blood Bowl conversions, Veeky Forums

>tfw Painting Guide Mega is dead

See if you can't get your hands on a space marine scout's heavy bolter. It's considerably smaller, and fits somewhat snugly on a cadian torso.

Finished the orange bits on my ratmans.
Now to do the rest.

Yea, first time using geeen stuff and my hirst moulds...kinda just experimenting.

I might do that since I was gonna get a box of scouts for the regular bolters

hoard useful pdfs the instant you come across them

the blocks themselves look awesome. Need to get my hands on a few of those moulds. I think they make one (or a few) specifically for towers and cylindrical structures

I'll post some guides ive saved in the hopes that someone makes a new archive

I wish I got more of the blocks moulds so I can make batches quickly. Aye they do, I got a few of the other ones, like cobble and roof shingles

Not a pdf but good otherwise

apologies for potato camera, but what do you think of my Archon kitbash?

>archon legs
>dark elf sorceress torso
>splinter pistol from kabalite kit

How "universal" is primer? A friend dug up a can of the stuff in his garage but he thinks it might be intended for wood. Is it better than no primer or do I need to head to home depot or something and get a can?

pic unrelated, a neat thing I found looking for necron color schemes

Enamel and lacquer primers tend to be too thick. Acrylic and sandable primers are the best and if they are too thick you should test on something to be aware of that and spray more lightly knowing that it's thick.

Making use of some of my moulds...make use of cobblestone or just leave it blank?

Aaaaand forget pic like an idiot

Maybe cobblestone on the interior

I was thinking of laying balsa wood on the interior for flooring

Just would make more sense for the nicer floor to be in the interior rather then outside

Anyone know how to do Acolytes in power armor - I know I can't use space marines because its normal humans - but there seems to be no models I can use?
I was thinking about just caving and getting dark angel vets because of the robes
I also can't find good heads for normal acolytes

True, cobblestone interior and just scattered debris around the outside seem better?

I want to field 100+ FW renegade models in my army but I don't want to pay $200 for the torsos alone so I plan on buying Chinese. If you saw that many would you refuse to play me?
Also, would this conversion be legal to use?

I wouldn't refuse. The conversion kits cost as much as the fucking infantry kits here. I'd go China too.

it's a crime the DA vets kit is as old and shitty looking as it is - I really want to do some Guardians of the Covenant

what are those models with the hoods?

maybe if you didn't paint them. But if you did how the hell would I even know?

Anything wrong with priming in my garage if it is too cold out? I have a good filter mask, but how much does temperature factor in?

Everything would be painted, absolutely. The hobby aspect is what drives me, not actually playing the game. I would just but vanilla guardsmen and paint them red if it weren't the case. The only thing is I have those 100+ renegades, 3 earthshaker cannons, 3 Lemans, 6 rapier laser batteries and maximum extra crew for the artillery so a young adult in their mid 20's would be looking pretty shady with that expensive of a legitimate army, especially someone they hadn't seen before if I take my army to multiple LGS. If someone came up to me with a possibly full Chinese force dedicated to drawing out a game I'm not sure how I'd feel.
They were apparently made from a "mix of Cultists, Flagellants and some old Mordian heavy weapons crew"
They are astronomical in price and not really reflective of their point cost

Cold leaves the finish shiny and heat leaves the finish fuzzy/grainy

How does that even happen?

Started on a termie captain, so far this scheme seems quick enough that I might actually have a fully painted army for the first time in years.

Though I'm not sure what to do with the hammer. Any suggestions?

Humidity is your main issue. Temperature shouldn't be an issue.

Well, they are Necrons. I am using chaos black.

>won a johnny on ebay for 20 dollaroonies
im sorry to whoever bid for it but heck yes

Shiny is bad. Shiny means the paint will have a difficult time adhering.

So dry garage is good? Also how bad are the fumes? If I spray, then open the door after I am done, no fumes should remain correct? I just don't want a high concentration. My dogs kenle is in there.

If it's good enough for your pet it's good enough to prime, regarding the weather.
If you prime, do so with the garage door ajar and then close it after some time to allow the models to dry correctly.

Thanks for all the answers anons. You made a newbs life easier.

It's what I did, excuse the crudeness and paint job it was my second conversion five years ago. All these nerds are due for a stripping.

KROOOOOT

Painting some test spines for my killteam

yes I am that guy

The first one looks the coolest.

Bubbles

these would look great with some patina on them kroot shooters

looks good though

Decent idea or do you think adding horns to mark IV helms is stupid?

A buddy of mine commissioned me to paint his Bloodbowl team. Just finished with the first model. I'm just waiting for the greenstuff I added to the base to dry, then I'll put the fake grass on.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but I feel like I still could have made it more "Nurgley."

In general no but those horns are absurdly large. They look ridiculous.

Should be a lot smaller, tbqh. If you want a chaos-y look, use Raptor/Warp Talon heads.

Go for it. I think it works.

Started a test model for my next project

They are tzangor horns. They around the size of alot of other chaos minis with horns. Wanted to make the heads look abit more chaosy for my chosen

Really don't care for the look of those heads however.

Do what said and grab a box or two of Raptors/raptor bits.

add some yellow paint to nurgles rot Technical and get in there around some of the boils or those unloved areas under the right arm or seeping from the holes in his armor to give him some mucus/pus love. Doing a light wash over those solid red intrails might be a good idea too.

they look fine, if you put some extra bits there so they look more...natural. Obviously cant just have a bead of greenstuff sticking them to the helmet.

you could also just use the horns from the raptor kit and discard the helmets.

I love it user! I plan on getting some Chaos Dorfs soon too, tell me how you did that so far!

Yeah was going to blend them in abit more. I could also cut these horns closer to the top to make them smaller.

I wouldn't play you but it would have nothing to do with recasts

Done for the night. Decided to go with the black skirt (or whatever its called.)

What's the reason? The style of play that my army has?

it works user, once you clean it up. what colour will the cape be?

It rarely falls below 80% humidity where I live. Will that be a big problem and if so how do I deal with it?

Still have not decided. Was thinking have the inside be black (for easy sake) and the outside white. The box art has the inside of his cape tan and the outside black. Would probably look best on this model as well. I am really open to suggestions though seeing as this cape should really stand out seeing as I am gonna be starring at the back of him for all these games.

Make the green one have purple spines and then name them Donatello, Michaelangelo, Leonardo, and Rafael.

And put pizza boxes on their bases.

needs a tau field reporter in a yellow jumpsuit following them round as well.
Classic Hrud master optional

Ideally you want 45% humidity.

>won a johnny on ebay for 20 dollaroonies
>im sorry to whoever bid for it but heck yes

Was it this one?

exactly that one yes

>black skirt (or whatever its called.)

Pteruges.

Also, the big round thing on the shoulder is a "pauldron", the round thing that guards the knee on just about every mark of armour except the Mk VII is a "poleyn", and those ornamental shields Space Marines sometimes wear (Grey Knights are notorious for this) to cover the vulnerbale joint between the arm and the torso are called "besagews."

I fairly new to /wip/ can someone explain the Johnny meme to me?

>on just about every mark of armour except the Mk VII is a "poleyn"

Heh... Mk VI, I mean. Beekees have long greaves sans poleyns. Just about everybody else has them, even if they're not round like the Mk VII.

It's an old rogue trader space marine mini who looks like he's listening to his bolter magazine. That's the extent of the joke.

hes cute

Thanks, would have never figured that out on my own.

>I fairly new to /wip/ can someone explain the Johnny meme to me?

Emperor's Teeth, user, were you waiting for me to come in here?

Some clever user grabbed this picture of the old "Brother Craig" model and made this meme image (pic related). It looks like he's receiving righteous wisdom from his bolt gun magazine, the same way Johnny on the cartoon show Ed, Edd, and Eddy talks to his wooden friend Plank.

In some of the really old Citadel adverts, da Studio Ladz gave the early Space Marines of the Aly Morrison era names. They famously picked the cast of the old Adam West Batman TV serial, so there is a Brother (Adam) West, Brother (Burt) Ward, Brother (Burgess) Meredith, and Brother (Yvonne) Craig, among others. When Citadel printed its blue catalogue in 1990, they renamed all the models according to purpose and armament - "Bolter 10", "Plasma Gun 2", "Bolt Pistol and Chainsword, etc. - so the whimsical names were forgotten.

Apparently, Brother Craig was forgotten, too. He's not in the blue catalogue, or any other Citadel catalogue that followed, so his part number is a complete mystery. He's hard - but not impossible - to find.

Thank you for enlightening me.

Did 2 heads, anything special I should do to blend the horns in or am I in the right track?
realised I should use less green stuff at a time cause took abit more fiddling then I thought it would take.

A robed hrud master! How could I forget!

>tfw pauldron is basic as fuck since it's so widely use
>tfw proud of myself for googling pteruges for trying to describe leather tassel groin tabard bits in the past
>tfw I realize I've been using "kneepads" this entire time instead of poleyn

Fuck.

Not that good at painting, but I do have one finished miniature at long last.

Sicarian Infiltrator Princeps, leader of my Skitarii Kill Team, escaper of cycles of guild and gainener of Brouzoufs.

I used a clear acrylic base for the base because fuck making more work for myself. The rest of the team will have appropriately sized bases in the same acrylic as well.

bubs?

Looks like a deer on the right tbqh famalam.

>finished
>3/4 of the model is just flat black
You've only just begun.

>finished

user...