/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Marie-Louises Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1842_retreat_from_Kabul
naval-war.com/navalforum/ordersofbattle/16-guadalcanal-battles?start=6
lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=84196.0
mediafire.com/file/j17j6lcdzk5i3nx/Osprey - CBT 022 - Panzergrenadier vs US Armored Infantryman 1944.pdf
mediafire.com/file/fp3xj3k2a1665dz/Osprey - ELI 214 - Vietnam War US & Allied Combat Equipments.pdf
web.archive.org/web/20160507195620/http://www.studio-tomahawk.com/dl/saga_steppes_uk.pdf
boardgamegeek.com/image/1834867?size=original
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest

29th January in military history:

757 – An Lushan, leader of a revolt against the Tang dynasty and emperor of Yan, is murdered by his own son, An Qingxu.
1258 – First Mongol invasion of Đại Việt: Đại Việt defeats the Mongols at the battle of Đông Bộ Đầu, forcing the Mongols to withdraw from the country.
1814 – War of the Sixth Coalition: France defeats Russia and Prussia in the Battle of Brienne.
1834 – US President Andrew Jackson orders first use of federal soldiers to suppress a labor dispute.
1856 – Queen Victoria issues a Warrant under the Royal sign-manual that establishes the Victoria Cross to recognise acts of valour by British military personnel during the Crimean War.
1863 – The Bear River Massacre: A detachment of California Volunteers led by Colonel Patrick Edward Connor engage the Shoshone at Bear River, Washington Territory, killing hundreds of men women and children.
1916 – World War I: Paris is first bombed by German zeppelins.
1918 – Ukrainian–Soviet War: The Bolshevik Red Army, on its way to besiege Kiev, is met by a small group of military students at the Battle of Kruty.
1918 – Ukrainian–Soviet War: An armed uprising organized by the Bolsheviks in anticipation of the encroaching Red Army begins at the Kiev Arsenal, which will be put down six days later.
1943 – The first day of the Battle of Rennell Island, U.S. cruiser Chicago is torpedoed and heavily damaged by Japanese bombers.
1944 – World War II: Approximately 38 people are killed and about a dozen injured when the Polish village of Koniuchy (present-day Kaniūkai, Lithuania) is attacked by Soviet partisan units.
1991 – Gulf War: The Battle of Khafji, the first major ground engagement of the war, as well as its deadliest, begins.
1996 – President Jacques Chirac announces a "definitive end" to French nuclear weapons testing.

It is 203 years since the Battle of Brienne was fought on 29 January 1814, which resulted in the victory of Emperor Napoleon I's French forces over the Russian and Prussian forces commanded by the Prussian Generalfeldmarschall Prince von Blücher. The battle followed on the heels of reverses suffered by the French in both 1812, which had gutted the strength of the French Army, and 1813, where they fought against the Sixth Coalition. The Sixth Coalition had intentions of deposing Napoleon, dissolving the First French Empire and restoring the Bourbon monarchy to France.

The battle (the first of the 1814 Campaign) took place near Brienne-le-Château, where Napoleon had attended military school in his early years. As the Allies advanced on France from three different directions, the French Emperor planned to attack and defeat each in turn.

Napoleon's first target was the spread-out force of some 17,000 Russians (part of the combined Prusso-Russian Army of Silesia) under Field Marshal Blücher. To battle his old adversary, Napoleon had a force of some 30,000 troops, but most of these were just out of the camps with little training and no wartime experience. Many of them were teenage conscripts, dubbed "Marie-Louises" after the Empress who signed the order for their conscription in Napoleon's absence. Napoleon had tried to accomplish an envelopment of Blucher's whole force near the Aube River, but allied cavalry captured a set of the Emperor's orders and Blucher avoided the trap. Additionally, rain had turned many area roads into mud, slowing Napoleon's advance. Napoleon finally caught up with Blucher near Brienne. Blucher, outnumbered, with only Russian Lt. General Baron Osten-Sachen's wing of his army on hand (Yorck's Prussian I Corps was out of supporting distance) was forced to accept battle, as his army's baggage trains were too close – stuck on the muddy roads between Brienne and Dienville.

Petre notes that both sides had to commit their troops ‘piecemeal’, as Napoleon had to attack quickly if he was to win, whilst Blücher’s troops were not all present at the start of the battle.

The initial French attacks, by General Emmanuel de Grouchy’s cavalry, went well, but had been beaten back by the time that Napoleon arrived. On three occasions the Empress Dragoons charged Prussian squares. A fierce battle then followed until well after dark. Napoleon lead his young conscripts from the front to encourage them, and was almost captured by Cossacks at one point.

Napoleon's aimed to pin the enemy down while he organised a flanking attack. General Grouchy's cavalry and horse artillery kept the Prussians occupied as Marshals Ney (with the Imperial Young Guard Corps) and Victor (commanding French II Corps) secured both the town of Brienne and its chateau. About dusk, the chateau was captured by the French, when Blucher thought the battle was nearly over, and was preparing for dinner. Blucher and his second-in-command General von Gneisenau only just managed to elude capture.

The battle ended about midnight when the allies retreated. Blucher left behind some 4000 casualties to France's 3000. Although the French held the battlefield they could not afford such a close ratio of casualties. The battle also forced the Army of Silesia closer to the Army of Bohemia. Its main benefit to Napoleon was that it boosted the morale of his inexperienced conscripts.

The battles of the 1814 campaign tend to receive little attention from Napoleonic gamers, but they're really stirring stuff. Despite the ragged nature of their troops the French fought skillfully and with determination, beating back larger forces daily until the end. The Allied factions have the numbers but struggle to co-ordinate them. Players of both factions will find plenty of inspiration here, I think it would make for a great campaign game.

The community project this month, is a mini or unit based on something from military fiction.

My next fictional SYW unit: uniforms inspired by the Third Street Saints, Ultramarines (with yellow trim and a very reddish brown for their muskets), or Other?

What upsets me about this is that the scales and periods I collect aren't conducive to the military fiction I'm into. I could just go for Sharpe's rifles I guess, but that just feels a bit cheap and overdone.

Flashman?

>Flashman
Never read anything of it.

>tfw I don't collect WWII US, but love all manner of stuff applicable to it

You're missing out (on a right bastard). Later period - it's about an asshole who gets expelled from school for being a drunken prick, joins the army hoping for a nice easy time as an officer, and (at least in the first book) ends up going from London to Scotland to India to Kabul, and then, well, leaving Kabul.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1842_retreat_from_Kabul

The 1842 Kabul Retreat (or Massacre of Elphinstone's army) took place during the First Anglo-Afghan War...

But don't worry, he deserves what he gets.

If you're into 40K, Ciaphas Cain except he actually is an absolute coward and utter bastard.

finished a new Battlemap. it's 1,5m x 1,5m.

what do you guys think?

Looks pretty good user, how did you do it?

thanks. it's painting fleece (the one you cover the floor with when painting) and then a lot of paint + some flock. pretty easy to do actually and looks quite good with 28mm.

And there we go. I didn't want to say "it looks like shit" before, because I've seen stuff like that and it looks way better in-use than in a flat overhead shot.

(it looked shit before)

(but it's great)

thanks. have another overhead shot of my beach mat.

As was mentioned last thread, the Naval War dev has posted a couple of previews for the upcoming Guadalcanal expansion. Pic related for one of them.

More can be found here:
naval-war.com/navalforum/ordersofbattle/16-guadalcanal-battles?start=6

The linear development of Naval War makes me really sad.

I want to try the game but all of my fleets are Leyte Gulf themed.

If you go on the forums and ask nicely, the dev will more than likely generate the stat cards you want. And even if you don't have points totals at that point in time, you could try to field historical lineups from Leyte, or elements of them. He's done it before for others.

And if you want to help move things along, towards that end, you could think about what you'd like to see from a Leyte OOB and post it as well. That's how the Marine Nationale and Regia Marina stuff got done was through ideas and collaboration with the dev.

Well, I think most of the leyte gulf classes are already available, seems the only things missing are the late-war planes and the carriers (essex-class, independence class, Ise-rebuild, etc).

If your after specific named ships of already statted classes, I don't think that will be a problem, just drop the list on the forum and they will be in the next update.

My current painted fleet contains all 3 of those ships. I would ask but the problem is I'd need like 15 different ships and that just seems like a dick move. I think I'll stick with other games until he finishes.

15 ship -classes- that don't have stats yet?

What might also be an option is focusing on one specific engagement first; that should limit the number of new stat cards needed and might even allows us to set up some fleet lists like the ones above.
From what I remember points values use some kind of formula, so we could even end up creating something that you could use to face off against forces from other orders of battle easily.

As the designer I'll say; Just drop a list at the forum of the specific ships your after, and I'll probably have datacards for you before the end of next month. I won't have an OOB done for Leyte for a while but at least you will be able to try the game (which is well worth the effort for me).

Is there a single list of point values yet? Like

Porter-class DD: XX points
Farragut-class DD: YY points
Barnham-class DD: ZZ points
Yorktown-class CV: AA points
-1 Squadron of Wildcats: BB points
-1 Squadron of Hellcats: CC points (more than BB)
-1 Squadron of Dauntlesses: DD points
>etc

They aren't on the cards the last time I checked, and having the points available for ship classes (in a single, easily-referenced document) would enable people to put together pick-up games much more easily.

Well, actually the point values áre on the cards for the careful observer since the VP score uses the rounded points value /10. But if you (and others) would find such a list helpful, please just let me know on the forum and I'll put it together, its not that much trouble.

Ofcourse the Orders of battle are actually meant for that but those are quite some work. A points list as placeholder is a good stop-gap solution.

The carriers are more difficult to give a single value since the planes are worked into the formula, but I'll see what I can do

Looks great. Nice gradient going on!

warfare in the 18th and 19th centuries were the most aesthetic in history, prove me wrong.

protip - you can't

Define "aesthetic"

>Not the Great Italian Wars or sengoku jidai era Japan

1500s forever the best.

This man, he is my nigga.

Armoured Gauls coming soon from Victrix.

Also includes looted Galea

>sengoku jidai era Japan

Well, not always.

I would love to see those hats on a star trek pisstake where it's literally planet of the hats. Those are gloriously stupid.

Date Masamune was a magnificent troll.

The Lord with the slightly more reasonable helm looks so done with things.
> "I told him like eight times to ditch the hats."
> "We look like an army of overgrown traffic cones."
> "I bet Nobunaga doesn't have to deal with this bullshit."

>Ultramarines

AESTHETIC

He needs a red hat so the lyrics will most apply:

“Look around you
There are many things to see
That some would say could never be
These things I know
They’re true and I will tell you so
They are there to see,
If you believe
Trolls and wizards and fairy kings
Birds that talk and fish that sing
And if your heart is true then you will find them too
In every wish and dream and happy home
You will find the kingdom of The Gnome!"

>tfw no 28mm Ming to game the Imjin War

Man, I miss that show.

What do you think would be the best faction in SAGA to proxy as Mongolians?

Finished my North Star Indians, as well as my forest creatures for Hidden markers/table decoration. I'm especially pleased with the Doe I think.

The North Star figures are much nicer than the Redoubt sculpts.

Total Indians has reached the count (for now final) of 3 Chiefs, 48 Musket armed, 6 Bow armed, 6 casualties and 6 Civilians.

Surely someone has done a board specifically for them?

Anyone got Firefight?

Took me a minute to realize those were vinyards. Thought it was just a shitload of walls and hedges for some reason.

>Doe

dont they only have spots as babies?

D'oh.

Firefight?

You mean the SPI game? Should be in either our Moderns or SPI folder

Already checked both.

I've got it around somewhere, I'll upload it when I get home in a couple of hours. Probably got deleted in a folder reshuffle.

i know, right? always wanted to do a late japan vs. ming china imjin war match in impetus.

Sounds like 1937 all over again, hue.

I hope this unannounced Ming range proves successful.
lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=84196.0

>Sounds like 1937 all over again, hue.
The Second Sino Japanese War really isn't a good comparison.

For starters,the Japanese committed far more men than the Ming ever mobilized and technological parity was a non issue.

>Sounds like 1937 all over again, hue.
>The Second Sino Japanese War

Speaking of which, we're doing our 1937 Shanghai ostfront battle tomorrow, should be a blast. First game with my Chinese army

Probably but I'd like to use an official list for when someone inevitably says they don't want to play a fan one or if I play in a tournament.

I really should just go balls deep in some Kuomintang, just for the gonzo and eclectic kit.

There is a kind that is always spotted, but those live only in India.
Called chital or spotted doe duh.

Hopefully they make Chinese minatures in your scale. All you really need is infantry, everything
else can be german/british/soviet/italian.

I found German Afrika Korps seem to work pretty well as Chinese if you can't find minis. The soft caps sell it, but the stahlhelms were pretty common with the Nationalists too

Awesome. Are you going to film it again?

I'll definitely take photos, maybe some short films. I'd like to do a proper filming of a game with a good tripod and decent camera. Top down ideally so people can see what's going on. I work with a local film company so can borrow some gear, just a matter of organizing it.

I filmed a dogfight! game recently as an example, but it didn't turn out very well. The dice pips were out of focus - and the dice on the bases of the aircraft are useful for showing what altitude and speed each aircraft is at. I'll keep trying, would be cool to be able to film games and post em.

rip, yes.
To be honest I just googled white tailed deer and used an image that looked good.

Mainly 15mm, with dabbling in the smaller scales. I'm the kind of guy that'll do a lot of converting if need be, just never really gotten to it yet. Will be a good excuse to do up some non-island defence Nips too.

>guy in the middle left wearing magazine pouch for Thompson SMG
>has a rifle
The fuck

Heh, yeah. And the machine gun is sans magazine.

Oh god that fucking movie.

>Come on Ling, Lieutenant says we gotta pose for a photo
>I'm not done shitting yet.
>Lieutenant's waiting...

That facepaint looks great especially the red-and-white guy.

looking good, assuming you're playing Musket & Tomahawk, how effective are bows? can't work out if the pros outweigh the cons

Well, now I feel a proper idiot because I got confused with Cityfight, which was the earlier version of Firefight, and I'm embarrassed to say I don't have that one. I do have the rulebook for Firefight, for what it's worth, would you like me to upload it? I found it on Scribd.

Thanks man
cheers, they are for M&T but I haven't played a game. My gut instinct is that muskets are better, but I made a table to show the actual numbers.

Per activation muskets are as more more deadly at all ranges vs all covers. HOWEVER they make the unit visible in situations where bows would not be seen (long range). Bows have a pathetic long range. Even if you managed to have a unit firing at a target in the open at long range for an entire turn (4 activations) the bows would expect to cause 1 casualty.

Add to that the fact that Indians will often need to attack people in buildings due to their objective generation and bows become even less desirable.

all this presuming my numbers are correct

I really dislike these converted epubs (it totally ruins the layout), but right now beggars can't be choosers

Panzergrenadier vs US Armored Infantryman 1944 (Osprey Combat 22)

During World War II, the two pre-eminent mechanized infantry forces of the conflict, the German Panzergrenadier arm and the US Army's armoured infantrymen, clashed in France and Belgium after the Normandy landings. These engagements went on to profoundly influence the use of mechanized infantry in the post-war world. Drawing upon a variety of sources, this book focuses on three key encounters between July and December 1944 including during Operation Cobra and the Battle of the Bulge, and examines the origins, equipment, doctrine and combat record of both forces. With specially commissioned full-colour artwork and maps, this study sheds light on the evolving nature of mechanized warfare at the height of World War II.

mediafire.com/file/j17j6lcdzk5i3nx/Osprey - CBT 022 - Panzergrenadier vs US Armored Infantryman 1944.pdf

Vietnam War US & Allied Combat Equipments (Osprey Elite 214)

Over the eight years of the Vietnam War, US forces used three major types of equipment sets, with numerous modifications for particular circumstances. Different equipments were also used by Special Forces, the South Vietnamese, and other allied ground troops. Vietnam War US & Allied Combat Equipments offers a comprehensive examination of the gear that US and allied soldiers had strapped around their bodies, what they contained, and what those items were used for. Fully illustrated with photographs and artwork detailing how each piece of equipment was used and written by a Special Forces veteran of the conflict, this book will fascinate enthusiasts of military equipment and will be an ideal reference guide for re-enactors, modellers and collectors of Vietnam War memorabilia.

mediafire.com/file/fp3xj3k2a1665dz/Osprey - ELI 214 - Vietnam War US & Allied Combat Equipments.pdf

Lol it looks like his face has been shooped into the picture too

whilst naturally less deadly, does this data account for the fact that bows can shoot every turn whereas muskets have to remain still and use an activation to reload

Yes. The bottom % are by activation, the ones above that are by shot.
Essentially bows are much less killy, but at least you might not get shot back if you are sat in cover firing from a distance.

With this in mind I think bows would be nice if you got a Scouting mission, where staying hidden is a really nice bonus but I would prefer muskets in Raid or Slaughter, where killing power is likely more important.

Late WW1 Germans and Italians work pretty well. They have the ankle wraps and close enough headgear

SAGA, is it good for a historical skirmish game?

depends "which of the two words next to skirmish is most important to you?" is essentially the answer everyone will give you.

I just want a skirmish game. With good rules and good room for good minis.

Considering the rules are available for free in our OP and miniatures are available to look at all over the internet I'm sure you can work out for yourself if you have the scope in those rules for fun and the minis you want?

Cool thanks man, sorry for the bother just wanted the opinion on the game.

Its a great skirmish game with a historical setting.

Its not a historical "battle simulator". If you are looking for something like that, SAGA is not for you.

If you are looking for a game with interesting mechanics and lots of different factions set in historical time periods then it might be worth a look.

One of the biggest benefits of everything historical is that you can use whatever minis you like if they fit the setting. Thats something you often can't do with fantasy or sci-fi.
A viking is a viking, no matter what company produces the miniature.

You can buy cheap plastics from gripping beast or go for 7€/mini Red Box Games or V&V minis depending on your wallet and your desire for good sculpts.

It's not a bother, I just came across a bit blunt because typing on the phone is hassle. Essentially, it's fun but not very historical. Nothing wrong with that, and there are plenty of nice minis in the time period.
Best thing is really too read it yourself though.

Strelets just released three boxes of Dark Age minis - Saxons for Hastings, Normans for Hastings and Stamford bridge. You'd need 1-2 minis proxy'd (archers for the vikings and saxons, in example), but other than that, get two of the boxes and get plenty to play with. Probably enough for WAB too.

Revell has some nice (but dated) Normans and Saxons as well if you go for 1/72.
These two boxes i remember particularly well from my childhood because the minis were awesome.

Sadly they are long OOP and hard to come by. Doesn't really worth it anyway, grab the Strelets kits while you can, they are kinda limited releases anyway, the Norman box has a fuckton of infantrymen, like two dozen archers, 2 crossbowmen (you'll need to source some more) and 26 cavalrymen, some suitable for characters.

>A viking is a viking, no matter what company produces the miniature.
And, depending on how you're inclined, he could easily stand in for a Jomsviking or Anglo-Dane. It woould in fact be surprisingly easy to design a single "army" that could be fielded as 3 or 4 different factions, with only a few additional models (between vikings and Anglo-Danes, 4 Berserkers and a few dudes in chainmail and with two-handed axes would be the approximate amount of stuff not useable by both... and those axemen could be fielded as Jomsvikings as well, though for that you wouldn't be able to use any archers, and would probably want more axemen, with or without chainmail).

Sure?

Steppe Nomads
web.archive.org/web/20160507195620/http://www.studio-tomahawk.com/dl/saga_steppes_uk.pdf

boardgamegeek.com/image/1834867?size=original

Bump