mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

> Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> /5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

> 5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

> Previous thread

What do you think the new Sorcerous Origins will be on Monday?

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyF1G_gPg
sageadvice.eu/2015/11/07/the-only-feat-that-you-can-take-more-than-once/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for KOBOLD DRAGON-HUNTING PARTY

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyF1G_gPg

Artificer pet replacement, it's a subtype / thinking of giving a player that at 6

At first glance it seems to look how I'd hope it would, if you mean the archetype.

I haven't checked it for anything abusable, but to be honest most of my complaints are just if somebody tried to publish this as an official UA. As long as the player's aware that the DM can revoke anything that appears stupidly overpowered, let'em have it, and you can give them a gun if you don't give them all of the gunsmith features, so it can just be an improved ranged weapon that doesn't have scaling damage or extra attacks or anything.

> Can't even post a general properly
If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Why don't you limit your settings to only feature Humans as PC races?

Nobody needs Gnomes and Dragonborn and Elves.

I play on Roll20, is there a good place I can go for village maps and the like? I hate making my own since they're always just shitty boxes.

Hey, last OP asked someone to make a new thread.
I just Copypasted the last OP

I do that every time my players all end up picking human. Which is often.

t. Zarus

Thinking about allowing bladelocks to take a fighting style at level one to keep them more competitive

Thoughts?

Half the fun of the concept of a bladelock is that you can switch up your weapons as the situation requires.

Give them a choice of fighting style when they summon the weapon. There, adapting as the situation requires.

That's true

That just sounds OP though

Well, it's something. It's not interesting, but it's better than the nothing of before.

Totally unfair to Rangers and Paladins, right?

Hopefully some more element-based bloodlines.

Re-posting.

That pet thing is game breaking.

It's also represent everything that is wrong with 3.pf and the thing that 5e trying to move away from. Like cluttering of complex rule, mental note taxing of both player and DM. companion action economy issue (a second character under a player control that is as strong as PC is not in 5e for a reason. It's also the same reason why UA Ranger's pet lost multiattack).

More sorcerous origins that aren't bloodlines. At least acknowledge the option, since people constantly push blood this blood that.

tell your player to go back to their fox waifu in /pfg/. His autism isn't welcome in 5e.

What's better on a character that shouldn't ever be in melee: mirror image, misty step, or dimension door?

What defines a 'bladelock'?
Someone who says they'll be a bladelock?
Someone who takes the pact?
Someone who fights in melee instead of EB?
Someone who doesn't take EB?

Yeah, among other things like being impossible to balance properly

Someone who takes pact of the blade, fights in melee but doesn't have EB

Instead of forcing fighter or warlock into weird melee/magic mashup subtypes, why isn't there just a Warmage type class?

If Ranger, whose class idea is "fighter but woodsy", has justification to exist, so does Warmage.

Shouldn't they get the fighting style at the level they actually take the pact?

Pact of the Blade you diddler

There's already like ten different ways to make that character, it doesn't really seem necessary.

The pet is supposed to be a mount, and is so hard to work with its insane.
It isn't supposed to be a battle bot, it's supposed to be a wing-pack or a carrying unit.

Because they're saving that to release later. We all know it'll happen with archetypes to be more like wizard, warlock, and maybe cleric.

All of them plus blink.

Cleric already has paladin.
Wizard has Eldritch Knight AND Bladesinger.
The only caster that doesn't have an official "Gish option" is Sorcerer.

Pathfinder fan are the worst. Class bloat us

That's what I meant. I just start my games at level 3 so it's from the beginning

8 CHA 16 STR Favored Soul.

I know, they're still going to do it because people are clamoring for it. Maybe the divine one will be more like a druid that a cleric but people would complain that there was no cleric based option.

Favored soul is UA, but that's sorta gishy right?

>Instead of forcing fighter or warlock into weird melee/magic mashup subtypes, why isn't there just a Warmage type class?

Because TRADITION! It wasn't in the other 1-3edition PHBs, so it's not in 5e.

Why do people try to play Warlock as a melee option? Nothing that you do will be better than just spamming EB right? If you just want a fighter with access to cantrips why not just go Sorcerer1/Fighter 19?

It's because pact of the blade and its invocations exist only to trick you.

To be fair, they do sound pretty great, and they probably would be if you got them earlier.

The 5e PHB should have also included...

1) A divine skill user/assassin type class
2) A warlord type martial class
3) A straight up fighter/mage
4) An alchemist/crafter class

Would have covered all the bases.

Greatsword does the most damage from level 1 to 10. You just gotta get heavy armor so you don't need so much Dex. That's why people start as a fighter or paladin, but you could also start with moderately armored (v. Human or Dwarf) and take Heavily Armored at 4 for AC while keeping high Str for fighting.

I've got a character that trivializes huge chunks of story

The character is well written and normally balanced. Really good story, RPs well

Yuan ti scholar fey warlock
Eyes of the rune keeper
Eldritch sight
Devil sight
Observant
Keen minded

This guy trivializes everything not combat/parley related, he's smart irl and figures out puzzles easily, which lets him make use of keen minded ...

How this ability works? I doesn't have a save?

PS: Dune Mimic from Tome of Beasts

PS2: The Engulf ability.

Right. It's like the swallow ability some big creatures have.

OP as fuck.

>It'd be nice if it gave extra attack before martials get extra attack?
I Don't Think That's What You Meant.
>It'd be nice if it got Improved Divine Smite before paladins get improved divine smite.
What, like an Oathbreaker?

It would be nice if it did anything more interesting than "you have a weapon", like paladins.

It might also exist to appear to support low cha warlock builds and then backstab you with Lifedrinker at level 12.

What options would I have if I in general love the Paladin class, but absolutely HATE the 5e rendition of Smite?
I much, MUCH prefer how it was handled in Pathfinder.

I had my party fight one. They were level 10, and didn't have a ton of trouble.

That thing'll eat casters alive no problem if it grabs them but high AC martial classes don't have much trouble with it.

The mimic must first attack as an action.
Then, you are grappled if you're hit.
Players can attempt to free themself from the grapple.
The next turn, the mimic can engulf creatures. An engulfed creature can still attack the mimic from the inside, though questionably it looks like the mimic might be able to attack things it has engulfed.

It takes two turns to engulf somebody, so it's not insanely powerful.

Porting over the attack/ac bonus from the pathfinder paladin wouldn't work with 5e's bounded accuracy. There's a spell called hunter's mark that rangers and vengeance paladin's get that is sorta similar flavor-wise/mechanically.

Oh, unlike swallow, it doesn't deal damage on the turn it engulfs. This is probably fair for not having to roll dice to engulf.

>Almost 5 pages for a single subclass
>Homebrew

Hmmm I wonder if it's going to be op or not

Nah, I wasn't talking about extra attack, I was talking about the other Life drinker, something like being able to use Shillelagh for your pact weapon you know? I think that would be nice.

Thanks for clarifying.

That definitely doesn't feel like Smite though.

Smite is fucking brilliant for how you can burst with it, how you can wait until you crit to use it more conservatively and how it'll never go to waste.
That said, I don't know pathfinder's version.

Some of the channel divinity options are more similar to pathfinder smite, but those are only one use/short or long rest.

What is more OP, Oathbreaker, Oath of Conquest, or Oath of Treachery?

At levels 7 to 19, oathbreaker.
At levels 3 to 6 and 20, treachery.

>What do you think the new Sorcerous Origins will be on Monday?
Fey Sorcerer
Genie Sorcerer
Battlemaster Sorcerer

why don't you just fucking give them their extra attack and bonus damage for free instead of the invocation tax and call it a day

A couple days ago we started the new campaign but one of the players was missing. His char is a bard and apparently he's practically the anchor of the group.

We played but we had a very low energy game imo. No clever cutting words, no vicious mockeries, I tried to stay true to the character if the group RPed but had to keep that character to the back. Gave the bard to the group during fights so they could track of slots and inspirations.

I also made the mistake of letting them take a long rest, while I most definitely shouldn't have.

I'm thinking of retconning that day and doing a fresh start to the campaign. I think we lost some of the magic of the first chapter that I prepared which was supposed to be very clutch and high energy beginning.

Is there a good way about doing this? Should I just let it slide? I think with a bit of adjustment and a more focused game table/environment, we could have a blast playing.

How is battlemaster a sorcerous origin?

Push it back to 3 for when they pick their pact

1) nothing breaks if you give Sorcerers the Battlemaster archetype
2) I was referring to a Sorcerer archetype that has maneuver-styled shit that keys off a limited resource
3) it's a meme

>Group gets quest to deal with orc tribe
>banditry, enslaves and makes human sacrifices to an evil god
>Lawful good: The solution to this problem is salting the earth. Let's pick up some torches, rope, pikes and manacles. We'll capture the ones that surrender and make an example of the rest.
>4 players triggered because nooses
>"orcs are basically black people they dindunuffin, racist murder hobo!"
>explain to them that's how you deal with vile bandits, you leave them at the side of the road to deter other bandits
>"Racist."
>4 others talk their way into the stronghold by pretending to be sexy bandits with free shit
>stuff the gnome into bag of holding
>offer another PC as a sacrifice
>tries assassinating a drunk half-orge leader as a level 2 sorcerer while pretending to be a female orc, does 3 damage
>drunk half-orge leader likes it and gives him a prolapse rectum
>The quest said to SLAY, not LAY the orcs
>"What was the plan?"
>"lol that was the plan"
>they eventually pull out and regroup, DM was being nice and didn't slaughter them
>lawful good gather the bones of their victims to show the city guard and put them in the gnome's bag of holding
>lawful good tries to get the guard captain to loan us horses and a militia to deal with this large bandit stronghold
>bleedingfarts start freaking out and don't want to "genocide" the "innocent" tribe, refuse to hand the bag of human bones over
>they run over to sign a retarded peace treaty and tell the tribe that they were about to be raided by the humies
>Me and another based player gather a small millia of commoners and get the fucking MARILITH bartender to help
>march over to the stronghold, galently
>Bleedingfarts: We made a deal! Stop!
>Lawful Good: Ah yes, their terms of surrender.
>Bleedingfarts:We signed a peace treaty! They promise they won't be evil anymore!
>Lawful Good: We want justice and reprisal for what these savages have done.

part 1/2

That's the thing, it's a gimmicky one trick pony that turns you into a more nova fighter, since you're using all of your spell slots for it.

Pathfinder;
>Once per day, a paladin can call out to the powers of good to aid her in her struggle against evil. As a swift action, the paladin chooses one target within sight to smite. If this target is evil, the paladin adds her Cha bonus (if any) to her attack rolls and adds her paladin level to all damage rolls made against the target of her smite. If the target of smite evil is an outsider with the evil subtype, an evil-aligned dragon, or an undead creature, the bonus to damage on the first successful attack increases to 2 points of damage per level the paladin possesses. Regardless of the target, smite evil attacks automatically bypass any DR the creature might possess.

In addition, while smite evil is in effect, the paladin gains a deflection bonus equal to her Charisma modifier (if any) to her AC against attacks made by the target of the smite. If the paladin targets a creature that is not evil, the smite is wasted with no effect.

The smite evil effect remains until the target of the smite is dead or the next time the paladin rests and regains her uses of this ability. At 4th level, and at every three levels thereafter, the paladin may smite evil one additional time per day, as indicated on Table: Paladin, to a maximum of seven times per day at 19th level.

Pathfinder one feels more like an actual resource instead of pseudo-spells.

Aye, but it's just.. disappointing really.
I love Paladin, but I cannot even look at it in 5e because I hate how Smite is handled.

Paladin was probably my favorite part of Pathfnder, but I like 5e's paladin too if only because it's now one of the best classes in the game. Brings a tear to my eye as someone who suffered with the 3rd edition paladin.

>only a level 3 fighter
>"Can I use a mount and lance?"
>"Uh, sure"
>use mount and lance while half-orge doesn't have reach or a ranged weapon
>can't touch me and he ends up rolling a bunch of ones
>perfect him with a couple of crits and earn enough EXP to hit level 4
>entire orc tribe is panicking now
>get threatened by 4/6 of the party with PvP and keep getting called names
>I behead the slain half-orc and parade his head on the end of my lance
>the mirlith starts slaughtering the armed orcs
>the dozen or so millita set fire to the huts
>Bleedingfarts: S-stop!
>Lawful good: WE DON'T NEGOTIATE WITH BANDITS, NOR DO WE HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO
>Bleedingfarts: You're gonna start a racewar! They'll go to the nearby orc city and tell them what you've done
>capture and casterate the unarmed orcs for aiding and sheltering fugitives and obstruction of justice, normal practice in the middle ages
>Lawful Good: Hm, good point! We can't let any escape then.
>they start flipping out
>the bleedingfarts run to the orc city to try to get Lawful good in trouble because they think I'm gonna turn the orcs into soap
>turns out the bandit stronghold was in orc terrority
>law&order.mp3
>RPPVP time
>my 8 int and 8 cha knight isn't going to roll for shit, gotta do this hard way
>make aguruments and provide proof that they were bandits
>orc city considered them wild and didn't know they were practicing banditry
>eventually get the orcs to pay for the damages the bandits caused to the families of the lost ones because of overwhelming evidence
>they also pay the ransom for the captives we took in the raid
>get inspiration

We hugged at the end of the session.

Part 2/2

What's the most fun I can have playing a non-caster who repeatedly spends their ASI's on Magic Initiate?

Lovely

I think technically that isn't legal, but whatever.

For some reason Google just stays frozen when I search for this, so I'm going to ask here.
My Necromancer comes from a NOble Background and so they get a Scroll of Pedigree. What is it and how can I use it for roleplaying reasons?

It's proof that you are of noble birth.

Why is the minimum hit points for a CR 1/4 creature 36 according to the DMG? That really doesn't sound right.

Eh, well, it's not bad as a sort of 'Challenger fighter' that chooses an opponent to fuck over.

You could have an ability like that in 5e, and certainly it might be more interesting than the current smite which is rather just a burstey fighter that can also conserve smites for crits for double crit damage, but...

I still kinda like the current paladin anyway. Aside from being simple, it's.. Less faff. You can do other things, paladins have a per short rest channel divinity which can do things like 'choose an enemy, you get advantage on attack rolls against them' or 'you empower your weapon for +CHA to hit chance'.

I feel they didn't want to put one specific ability in and would rather have several more general abilities in.

Pretty much a scroll that certifies you as a perfectly inbred mongoloid nobleman

Which has some benefits when dealing with similarily inbred mongoloid noblemen, such as audiences, mayhap favors, maybe even offers for further inbreeding

>he doesn't know what a Scroll of Pedigree is

perhaps you should stick to playing cousin-fucking peasants, hm?

Wait so which ones were inbreeding again now I'm confused

Hey what do you guys think about this invocation:
Hexblade (pact of the blade only)
When you strike an enemy with an attack using your pact weapon you may cast hex on them without expending a spell slot. As long as you are holding your pact weapon you do not need to concentrate on hex.

How so?

When in Europe, do as Europeans do.

Completely broken. Go back to the drawing board, kid. Better yet -- graduate high school first.

>at bookstore
>$60 a book

Fuck

Also;

>LMoP (bought on roll20)
>players are not into it

Thinking of just starting out of the abyss, but each character is 4

sageadvice.eu/2015/11/07/the-only-feat-that-you-can-take-more-than-once/

They were all inbreeding, but when a nobleman (or an animal) does it it is called "pedigree"

kek

How is it broken? All it does is give hex damage to the blade

>buys LMOP
>players are not into it
>wants to run a massive module like OOTA instead

lol good luck

Tips pls

I'm gonna start having BBEG minions focusing him, but it may be railroading

LMoP serves as a great base for a campaign. Try building on it with stuff that the players seem interested in, use the parts they like to branch off into a custom adventure.

>warlocks only get two spell slots per short rest
>hex is so fuckin good people burn their limited slots on it

>but dude what if we just gave it to them for free with no concentration or spell slot useage at all?

How fucking braindead can you be

Calm down guy, why are you so aggressive?

It's pact of the blade only, the pact that everyone complains about as being terrible complained to the others

Would it be better if it still used a spell slot?

What sorts of creatures stay and lurk around a Manticore's nest? I'm assuming other predators like Worgs who are increasingly aggressive because of the lack of food. Crafty humanoids perhaps?

I hate how everyone still fails to realize part of the reason pact of the blade is bad is it doesn't even fit in at all.

Why make a pact that's all about HAVE SOME COMBAT BUFF, YOU GET AC AND MORE ATTACKS AND HOW ABOUT THIS HEX AND MAYBE MORE DAMAGE when the other three pacts are all 'Okay, have some utility that might sometimes come into combat'

Pact of the blade should not be a pact option. Full stop. people need to stop rescuing it like it's a beggar and giving it their money will stop making it homeless.

>wanting less options ever for any reason

You can fuck right off bud

No predators because that's the manticore's niche. Scavengers like carrion crawlers oozes, otyughs, and cranium rats might lurk nearby to clean up its scraps.

Maybe something like

>Hexed weapon
>requirements: blade pact, hex
>you have advantage on concentration checks when concentrating on the spell hex
>before making an attack with your pact weapon, as part of the attack action you may change the target of your hex to the creature you are attacking.

This would curb some of the downsides of hex, and really shine for keeping those 8 hour hexes working all day.

>Pact Boon: Pact of the Tool
>You can use your action to create a pact tool in your empty hand. You can choose the form that this tool takes each time you create it, taking the form of any tool or piece of adventuring gear that is worth 10 gp or less (see chapter 5 for tool options). You are proficient with it, if applicable, while you have it on hand.
>Your pact tools disappears if it is more than 5 feet away from you for 1 minute or more. It also disappears if you use this feature again, if you dismiss the tool (no action required), or if you die.

>Eldritch Invocation: Wealth of Tools
>Prerequisite: 5th level, Pact of the Tool feature
>When you summon your pact tool, you can summon any tool or piece of adventuring gear worth 100 gp or less.