What's the best Veeky Forums-related video game?

What's the best Veeky Forums-related video game?

feisty girls with wide hips and nimble tail

>"What can change the nature of a man?"

Who?

>best Veeky Forums related
Care to elaborate?
As your question is too vague, here are some good, somewhat Veeky Forums related games: Planescape: Torment, Xcom, Dawn of War, Fallout, Dwarf Fortress, Darkest Dungeon, Battlefleet Gothic: Armada, Baldur's Gate, Diablo, EYE: Divine Cybermancy, Dark Souls, Heroes of Might and Magic, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Skyrim, Sunless Sea.

>Skyrim
>not Morrowind
>not just saying TES games to be safe
>Dark Souls
>not Demon's Souls

Also Dragon's Dogma.

>implying all the new TES games are not the same (after couple modpacks adding assorted /d/-liteful necessities)
>implying Veeky Forums is anything but glorious PC mustard race

When it comes to their setting the TES games can be very different.

To be fair, Dark Souls 3 is basically Demon's Souls but less obnoxious. Slowly walking down ladders is the worst fucking thing, and don't tell me you enjoy slow-rolling poison swamp of fuck while also fighting that stupid fucking NPC with Blind.

Bolitaria is alright though, and I was so happy Dark souls 3 did a shout out to Tower of Latria.

I haven't played Morrowind or Demon's Souls.

>and don't tell me you enjoy slow-rolling poison swamp of fuck while also fighting that stupid fucking NPC with Blind
To be honest, yes. I was really disappointed with DaS'ssssss swamp, felt like a cakewalk.

Dark one and three are both better than Demon's.

For the game that most closely captures the tabletop experience? Fucking Eon Altar. It's a local co-op game which is an amazing introduction to the concepts of tabletop roleplaying.

It runs on a PC with each player using their phone as a controller. In addition to getting access to controls both in and out of combat, you can also browse your character sheet and inventory, and make dialog and story choices. It even gives you the occasional secret that only your character would know, and it's your choice whether you share it with the group or not.

One really neat touch? The game has no built in dialog for the main characters. Instead, each player is given their own dialog prompts to read out. I played the game with a group of people who'd never played a TTRPG before and in fifteen minutes they were speaking in character as naturally as anything, even doing so without prompting. It's an amazing and really innovative experience.

Don't forget FTL.

>DaS'ssssss swamp, felt like a cakewalk
I found Blighttown and Sen's Funhouse to be one of the most challenging parts of the game on my first (blind) playthrough.

I bet you even killed that stupid dragon and saved Biorr, you smug fuck.

I was "that guy" who used my stupid stone of ephemeral eyes too much, and wound up fighting that goddamned black phantom katana bitch at far too low a level. The only way I actually beat him was by stunlocking him with a dagger for a full stamina bar, then rolling away.

Dark Soul 1 had a more... fantasy atmosphere, particularly in the forest, by that Alice in Wonderland rip-off cat. But you're right, I missed effective piercing/fire damage actually mattering.

Top of my list has to be KotOR and FTL.

I'm not trying to show off by saying that I prefer the Valley of Defilement, I suffered through it the first time too and exploited the dump path finding AI to get through these giant depraved ones. But I really love how much I hate this place and how it's the most dirty, nasty and just itchy place I can think of.

>Dark Soul 1 had a more... fantasy atmosphere
Sure, DaS is more high fantasy, DeS more Dark Fantasy. In general I'm more a fan of the former, but in this case I prefer the bleak atmopshere of DeS.

>but in this case I prefer the bleak atmopshere of DeS.
I can respect that, Dark Souls 3 hits that note perfectly, particularly in some of the earlier sections.

I really enjoyed the painted world mostly because I was a dickass mid-level twink invader. The atmosphere is perfect, it's such a comfy and relaxing place to just hang out in. I remember waiting for invasions, and just enjoying the light snowfall. The coolest place is that giant graveyard where you fight Xanthos King Jeremiah. If you clear out the enemies, you get a pretty relaxing place to escape reality.

>I really enjoyed the painted world
My favorite place in DaS, great vertical level design, fantastic atmosphere, that fucking heart attack I got in the basement. Too bad I missed it in my first playthrough.

When I first played through Dark Souls, I accidentally entered the painted world while hideously underlevelled.I was stuck there for almost two days, and in the end I managed to escape only by cheesing the dragon with my last arrows and using the dragon butt exploit.

Crusader Kings 2

So apparently - Imperium Glactica got GOG edition.

Fall from Heaven 2 and all its submods. Endless Legends. Warlords Battlecry series.

>Warlords Battlecry series.

My fucking god I haven't thought about those games in years. The hero customisation was so fucking cool. Godlike archmages who could lay waste to armies, excellent governors and leaders who could supercharge your base, or just total badass warriors who'd walk into your enemies base solo and slaughter them.

Fuck those were fun. Hideously imbalanced, but fun.

For me?
Endless Legend
World of Warcraft
Dragons Dogma
Souls series.
Sins of a solar empire.
Ark
Warframe, to some extent.
Dota 2, dem characters.

Honourable mentions:
Dawn of War 1
Total Warhammer
Yugioh: Duelists of Roses.

You forgot one-shotting assassins zip-zapping through the entire map or heroes that buff armies with huge amounts of exp. Fucking fey dragonslayers.

Completely unrelated, but the movie West World is Veeky Forums as fuck.

>robots pretending to be people
>medieval wild west and roman "zones"
>regular people literally roleplaying with period actors
>magical realm
>blood shooting everywhere

in b4 obsidian fandroid screeching about tes

Who's the one in the middle? It's not Mazzy nor are they Edwina. My guess would probably be the Main Character or some extra from Enhanced Edition

>Fall from Heaven 2
Mein negro

>pretending
>medieval

nigger what

>Dota 2, dem characters.
No need to spend time on vidya, that's what hentai is for.

How's EYE: Divine Cybermancy?

I'm in the mood for some cyberpunk-ish stuff and thinking about giving it a try.

ow wow, an excuse to dump my "games where you can play as elves" list! Suggestions welcome, I've left the definition of elf pretty vague, pointy ears and humanoid appearance is obligatory though.

RPG
The Elder Scrolls I: Arena
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
The Elder Scrolls Online
Arcanum
Neverwinter Nights
Neverwinter Nights 2
Baldurs Gate
Baldurs Gate 2
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale 2
Pillars Of Eternity
Shadowrun: Returns
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Shadowrun: Hong Kong
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Might and Magic (all except VI)
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Drakensang: The Dark Eye
Dragon age: Origins
Faery

Strategy
Thea: The awakening
Age of Wonders
Age of Wonders 2
Age of Wonders 3
Heroes of Annhilated Empires
Elven Legacy
Endless legend
Warlords Battlecry
Warlords Battlecry 2
Warlords Battlecry 3
Warcraft 3
Spellforce
Spellforce 2
Spellforce 3
Total Warhammer

1/2

Dungeons of Dredmor is pretty spot on in how most groups actually play TTRPGs.

2/2

strat-cont:
Master of Magic
Warlords 3
Disciples II: Rise of the Elves
Warlock - Master of the Arcane
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Heroes of Might and Magic 4
Heroes of Might and Magic 5
Dawn of War 1
Dawn of War 2
Dawn of War 3
Warlords 1-4
King's bounty the legend
king's bounty crossworlds
The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II

Misc
DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: KRYNN SERIES
FORGOTTEN REALMS: THE ARCHIVES - COLLECTION THREE
LEGO: The hobbit
LEGO: The Lord Of The Rings
Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
The Fall of The Dungeon Guardians
Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone
World of Warcraft
Dragons Crown
Warhammer The End Times: Vermintide
Elven Assassin
Warhammer: eternal crusade
Paladins
The Temple of Elemental Evil
dragon age inqvisision
wurm unlimited
Dungeon Defenders
Dungeons & Dragons OnlineĀ®
Dark age of camelot
Battleborn

not all of these games are good, but muh elves

Honorable mentions to the Command and Conquer series (Red Alert preferably) Endless Legend, DOOM ( it has a boardgame!), Warhammer Vermintide, Total War:Warhammer, Darkest Dungeon. Some other titles I've forgotten but there are plenty.

fuck off back to /v/ autist

Just play Deus Ex, but if you insist, there is a demo for EYE on Steam. Caveat Emptor though, that game has an obnoxious UI that hardly tells you anything

Bonus points for being loosely based on the creator's own D&D campaign.

I may catch crap for this, but the first Dragon Age. It's good dungeoneering fun.

Dominions.

>How's EYE: Divine Cybermancy?
EYE has the same issues System Shock 2 & Deus Ex had - it offers different playstyles on the label but ends up being shooter with arbitrary useless gimmicks bolted on. And the less time you spend on the gimmicks the more enjoyable it will be.

Christ almighty i would kill for good strategy wargame akin to Combat Mission that isn't fucking 60-90$ for a game and has working AI.

The answer is always VTM: Bloodlines.
All other answers suck cock by choice...or are niggers. Whichever you find more offensive.

Tabletop Simulator, obviously.

Your best bets are SWTOR, Morrowind, Planescape, and VtM: Bloodlines. None of these are modern enough to tax even five year old toasters.

King of Dragon Pass

Both of these are excellent as well.

Dark souls is an amazing game and if you own something that runs it, You NEED to play it.

But just cause swords and dragons, does not automatically place it at the top of Veeky Forums-related.

>"What can change the nature of a man?"

This is literally the most Veeky Forums related game, no other video game compares to the dialogue and overall atmosphere the game is able to generate.

I dread the day they will gut it and remake it.

>Pic related, TNO and an apprentice

This game hasn't aged well as far as the mechanics go, and never was that good once you figured out how things work. It's an example of a game that gets worse the more you play it.

It's really up to a question of whether you like Glorantha or not, and the way the myths are presented in this game are enough to give anyone a bad taste for the setting.

Obviously many of the kind of quirky unique events become a lot less interesting if you see them a second time, and the Glorantha setting while trying to be fresh instead of generic fantasy#349 is kind of flat once you learn about it.

That said, the gameplay and decision making is still very /tg

>be me
>play dark souls
>get stuck in some ghost pier in a cavern
>shut off system
>never play again

Princess Maker 2.

It's pretty railroady, too. Fits perfectly.

But its got so many potential endings that it's hard to call it railroady.

She can end up as either the Queen of Darkness or a Hero or Prostitute or a Housewife or even your wife.

>or even your wife.

>ctrl + f "vampire the masquerade bloodlines"
>only 2 hits

You niggers need to develop some taste, other than that Alpha Protocol is also pretty neat if you're ready to stomach some questionable gameplay decisions.

Not 100% Veeky Forums related, but I would say the Avernum series, or the Geneforge series.

PS:T is the worst of the Infinity Engine games at resembling the TTRPG it's based on. Icewind Dale 1 & 2 are the best.

Is that because you have no familiarity with D&D at all?

>Alpha Protocol

Temple of Elemental Evil my dude.

That's not an Infinity Engine game.

Yep shit, different engine. My bad.
Though I'll stand by it as one of the better mechanical translations of tabletop rules into a videogame.

>Faery
That game was surprisingly alright.
Not one of the better games I've played, but I thought it was going to be worse.
Really, the oddest thing is that I can't remember ever buying it, yet I do. Must have been part of some bundle.

Thanks for not being a huge autistic faggot.

Oh wait...

There are two choices:
A) Pic-related
B) Being wrong

Dark Souls 2 is a bad place to start the series. Not a bad game, but significantly worse than everything else. I can't blame you for getting turned off by it.

There's a sort of holy trinity in the crpg genre with combat, choice & consequence, and story, where a game can only excel at one of them, or at most be good at two and bad at the third. Some games can be mediocre at all three (such as Baldur's Gate) and some people do remember those games fondly, but I find the best games are the ones that truly shine in one area.

>Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
When it comes to offering actual choice and consequence this game is one of the best. The story and combat system aren't spectacular however.

>Planescape: Torment
If you don't have anything against reading lots of text, even by crpg standards. The combat system is severly lacking, even for its time, but in return there's no, or at least very few (I can't really remember it was ages since I played it last), instances were you *have* to fight something.

>Wizardry
The entire series are some of the best dungeon crawlers around. Part 6-8 also worked as trilogy where you after completing one part could convert your convert to next and the games would even adapt to the choices made in those previous games, and this was years before BioWare tried the same thing with worse results.

Depends.

>Plot/Writing-wise?
Planescape Torment
>Gameplay-wise?
Temple of Elemental Evil or Eye of the Beholder
>Best compilation of D&D Elements implemented into one game to streamline it?
Baldurs Gate 2.
>Best Encounter design?
IWD 1 + 2

Planescape: Torment
EYE: Divine Cybermancy
Dwarf Fortress
Star Wars: KotOR (Also the second one)
Dominions 4
Morrowind
Dragon's Dogma

Holy shit I used to love Warlords Battlecry 3

It was so poorly balanced, but I deeply enjoyed the campaign anyway. All those factions, all those units, all those spells and classes. Damn.

Undead Necromancer still best class

BOOM

instant army of level 30 skeletons, which are now wights, which are now SLAYER KNIGHTS FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUU

As good as Torment looks, I only played it for an hour or so before setting it down for good because I absolutely despise the combat system. Same for Dragon Age and KOTOR. "Real-time with pause" makes me nauseous.

>SLAYER KNIGHTS FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUU
Would this have been like instant summoning Blood Dragon wight knights in old WHFB? Because if so I'm so hard right, now.

Your not related by blood, user. The MC just raised her.

Pretty sure that's the wild mage added by EE. I'm not quite sure how I feel about her, from what little I've seen she's either pretty good or whoever wrote her tried too hard.

Like all the added NPCs, though, her voice acting is of decidedly lower quality than the original NPCs.

Rise from the Ashes aka. Mechwarrior with sword and axe

Also, special mentions to:
>Kings Bounty
>Gothic
>Fables
>Heavy Gear
>Starcraft 1
>Stellaris
>Front Mission
>Wasteland 1&2
>Mount and Blade
>Vakilrya Chronicles
>X Universe series
>Diablo 1&2
>Shadowrun RPG series (duh)
>Planescape Torment
>Final Fantasy 1-6
>Freespace 2
>Homeworld series
>Freelancer
>Power DOLLs

Corruption of Champions by Fenoxo

Legend of Heroes.

I've been enjoying Free Cities lately.

Avernum, Geneforge and Avadon series for original settings, rich stories, inventive applications of magic and plots that aren't about saving the world from destruction for fucking once.

XCOM 2 makes for some fun stories.

King of the Dragon Pass, period.

Forget Torment, it's a meme.

Underrail is pretty good.

Not any more of a meme than KoDP.

Any games with good waifus?

Divinity: Dragon Commander.

Best atmosphere/story goes to Planescape : Torment. It's pretty hard to deny.

Although the one I'm always coming back to is Bg2 : Shadows of Amn. Big quests, big dungeons, a sense of freedom of action but also a sense of purpose. Which is what you should ask of any good TTRPG, I think. Most video rpgs that adopted the "okay, from here you can go wherever you like" formula after this one made me too apathetic to care.Bg2 did that, I think, by installing a sense of urgency in needing money to rescue Imoen (and then your soul). Whereas most successors (even if some were good) adopt the bucket list formula.

Morrowind is the only open sandbox game that made me care enough to finish it. The world was unique enough that I wanted to explore it. I really felt like I was elsewhere while playing this game. I still remember playing it with my sister, and being in awe the first time we entered Ald'ruhn's giant crab.

I also like Darkest Dungeon a lot.

co-signing this. If only the actual game aspect was as good as the waifus.

I was really dissapointed by the world design in ds3, it just feels so branchy, i'm sad that the series never adopted the world design from the first half of DS1

>Morrowind is the only open sandbox game that made me care enough to finish it
Funny, it was the only open sandbox game that made me care enough to never finish its main quest.

I should really do it at some point.

Too bad the actual RTS gameplay was the worst part of the entire game.

>Warframe, to some extent.
I wonder how many people roleplay warframe to a non-cringy extent past the first ranks

Well the world hooked me in well enough that I wanted to see how things went everywhere, including in the main quest. Other sandbox games I got bored of too soon.

Nope, Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale is. Probably Icewind, because you make your own party and the story is not focusing on one character.

Torment wouldn't make a good session, it's too complex, focused on a very specific story and character. Most players would fuck it up. And Torment have fucked up mechanics. It's a great story, but a bad game.

>no one mentions the computer conversions of Heroquest
It's like you apes don't even know how to tg on a computer. That said, some of the improvements to the game are a bit dubious.

Cast fire of wrath
>you miss
Cast fireball
>you miss
Cast Pass Through Stone
>Your spell fizzles

lichess.org

dwarf fortress