That one guy that convinced the newbie gm to let him roll a 20d1 instead of a 1d20 because they "have the same...

>that one guy that convinced the newbie gm to let him roll a 20d1 instead of a 1d20 because they "have the same probability"

That GM is a moron. Not because he's new, but because he doesn't realize how basic math works.

He can't keep getting away with this.

the fuck is a d1?

I can't even say it is "math".
Guy is just plain retarded.

You're missing a painfully obvious joke

>not rolly superior nipponese gamescience dice molded 1000 times

Möbius strip.

Sphere dice. Basically a marble
I don't even know if they exist

I want to eat some of those

>mfw I spent half an hour trying to explain why 2d10 is different than 1d20 before giving up

2d10 can't roll a 1. Minimum is 2 and 20 is a 1 in 100 chance rather than 1 in 20.

Back when I was but a young lad crunching ways to break D&D3.5, this would have come intuitively to me, but sadly the years and tedium of adulthood have given me a case of stupid. Could someone explain the statistical difference between rolling 1d20 and flipping a coin 20 times and summing up the heads, other than the possibility of a zero?

Actually serious tho how is 1d20 different from 20d2, flipping 20 coins where let's say heads=1, tails=0

Hivemind

Binary dice is perfectly feasible.

Getting a 20 would be an astronomically rare thing. Youd have to get *20* heads in a row. And number in the center of the spectrum (9,10,11) would be very common. It would have a bell curve distribution instead of a flat one.
This is because of the statistics, there are FAR more combinations that yield 10 than anything else.
Think of it this way. To get a 10, you could use the combo (HHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTT) or (HHHHHHHHHTHTTTTTTTTT) or
(HTHTHTHTHTHTHTHTHTHT) or something more realistic
(HHTHTTHTHHTHTTHHHTTT).
And everything inbetween.
Where as the only way to get a 20 would be (HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH)

If you want a bell curve sure, but if you want each outcome to have an equally likely chance youd need a regular dice

Well, suppose that I took a fair coin, flipped it 20 times, and asked you to guess how many times the coin came up heads. Would some possible answers seem more likely than others?

In contrast, if I took a fair d20, rolled it, and asked you to guess the roll, would any number seem more likely than any other?

Nice trips.

that means a 20 would have a chance of 2^20 chance of occuring

Takes too long; less fun per minute.

It works differently tard, it wouldnt just take longr

>20d1

a one in 2^20 chance or a 100/2^20 % chance