My FLGS has a Pathfinder night

I'm primarily a OSR/AD&D player

Is pathfinder worth checking out?

Other urls found in this thread:

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/65518/a-fluffy-fairy-tale-2-electric-boogaloo
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/66875/wrath-of-the-raunchy
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/67687/the-sultanas-hot-slave-harem
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

So a lot of people will say a lot of things about pathfinder, but this is generally the pros and cons:

Pros:
>complex system with so many options you can do basically anything
>large 3pp community to let you tailor the game to what you want
>lots of prepublished adventures are around
>has a large community

Cons:
>generally unbalanced
>caster supremacy is alive and well
>Paizo is not the best company (by not the best I mean close to the bottom)

Pathfinder Society, the community run official gaming thing is generally considered bad due to not only restrictive rules but poorly written adventures. Adventures vary wildly in quality as well.

Thanks user

Just go anyway. A lot depends on the people too.

I abandoned PF for B/X derivatives after running 2 campaigns and playing in one campaign lasting 2 years and several characters.

It's always worth seeing things first hand, but if your bag is OSR, you probably won't enjoy PF.

Well, we're having fun with it, but my group is actively looking for other systems. It's too rules heavy, yet restrictive, and we don't like the rocket tag aspect of combat or the power imbalance between classes. I'd say you'll probably have fun with it for a few years if you aren't used to 3.5-style D&D, but will eventually outgrow it/come to hate its flaws more than you like its strengths.

I wanted to check out 5e, but we have mixed feelings about the changes and the enthusiasm of my group is also fluctuating quite bit.

>you can do basically anything
You can do basically anything in simpler systems. More complex systems ultimately reduce your options in a practical sense.

Case in point, Rumormonger. It's a Rogue Talent that lets you use a Bluff check to spread rumors... which is something anyone should be able to do anyway. But because there's one specific way of getting that ability, it essentially limits the options of everyone who does not take the Rumormonger talent by existing.

Ditching Pathfinder was the best choice I've ever done in my life, subheading: TTRPG-related choices.

>Case in point, Rumormonger. It's a Rogue Talent that lets you use a Bluff check to spread rumors... which is something anyone should be able to do anyway. But because there's one specific way of getting that ability, it essentially limits the options of everyone who does not take the Rumormonger talent by existing.
There are actually feats that let you do it as well.

This is not something that should have a rule or be tied to an ability at all.

Spreading rumors is roleplaying.

There shouldn't need to be anything that "lets" you do that. It's not a specialized ability. A system like Pathfinder takes away all the options you should have anyway--and which you do have in other, better systems--and acts like it's generous when it gives them back.

"Oh boy! I spent a feat that lets me spread rumors!"
"Golly, now I can dodge attacks by making an ability check!"
"Moving slightly between multiple attacks? Is it my birthday?"

If there is a decent community, Pathfinder works well enough. I personally have been playing it since around the beta and am quite okay with it,but then again, I was a 3.x player for a while before that too.

The system is somewhat complex and there are a ton of options, some of which fairly bad. Still, there is more than enough good stuff to run games with.

Ultimately, if the PF crew has some good DMs and players, it will be fun.

Not even remotely.

>Ultimately, if the PF crew has some good DMs and players, it will be fun.
The same can be said of any system.

If you go to a crappy restaurant with good people, you'll have a good time, no matter how terrible the food is. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be better with good food.

If you watch a mediocre movie with good people, you can still have a good time, but you'd have a better time with a good movie (or a particularly bad movie).

Saying "you can have fun if the people with whom you're playing are fun" is not a point to Pathfinder's favor, it's a tautology. And you'd generally have MORE fun if you were playing a system that didn't fight you every step of the way. You don't have fun because of Pathfinder so much as you have fun in spite of it.

It could theoretically, but I've had games which I couldn't get into, despite a very capable GM and generally nice crew. They just don't do it for me. Pathfinder does, with a moderately competent people. I don't know if it is me being intellectually lazy, or the other systems not really covering something that I want.

Anyway, PF is - at least here - one of the more popular systems. As a result, it has more players, and that means there tend to be more good players.So if the situation is the same where the OP is, s/he can pick up a good group which plays Pathfinder, which could be harder with some other games.

>Rumormonger
Take a look at Convincing Lie sometime.
>When a rogue with this talent lies, she creates fabrications so convincing that others treat them as truth.
>(tl;dr: if you lie to someone and someone else asks them about it, they get to use your bluff modifier (but only for LVL/2+CHA days))

Paizo's design for mundanes is kind of fucked.

>As a result, it has more players, and that means there tend to be more good players.

haha you're such a jokester user

Pathfinder, as far as I've seen, has the potential to absolutely ruin players. They come out of it not understanding how roleplaying works, and it winds up making them think other systems are "limited" because of how severely it stunts their vision. If there's no skill or feat or class feature that says "you can throw a rock to distract a creature", they'll never think of doing that, and they'll say "in Pathfinder, you can throw a rock to distract a creature! Where do the rules say you can do that in [any other system]?"

The overburdened, overarching skill system has rigid, overly complicated, poorly calculated DCs that make people think "I roll Diplomacy" is enough, because hey, they just gotta get a 25 and they can do anything!

Fuck Pathfinder.

Pathfinder = D&D for weeaboos.

Hasn't been my experience, thankfully. I've had people dissatisfied by 3.x/PF, but no more people "ruined" by it than from WoD or D100 40k games.

If the OP finds a decent group on PF nights, all the better. I doubt it would break him or something. I know it's an imperfect system, but honestly, sometimes I get the feeling people think it's RPG aids or something.

>If there is a decent community

/pfg/ is nothing but weeaboos obsessed with kitsune and "lewd" games.

>>Paizo is not the best company (by not the best I mean close to the bottom)
From reading their rulebooks and interaction with the community, the company honestly seems to be run by complete imbeciles.

I'm getting jealous now, I've only had 1 catgirl, no kitsune and no lewd stuff whatsoever:/ .

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/65518/a-fluffy-fairy-tale-2-electric-boogaloo

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/66875/wrath-of-the-raunchy

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/67687/the-sultanas-hot-slave-harem

Don't worry, /pfg/ still has, like, three lewd games for you to join!

Somewhat agree, my highschool friends all started on pathfinder and I've noticed it makes people think that they only way to rp is to have figures on gridpaper and only be able to do things that are explicitly written in the book. I've noticed this among other groups as well.

This has been my experience, too.
As much as I have come to dislike Dungeon World, it actually helped me get some people out of that mindset.

Check out 5e instead.
Our group played PF for a bit, it was fun in small doses but is ultimately completely terrible.

If you are gonna play d20 you should play 5e, but even then...

t. Narrativist faggot

Play PF is you don't value your sanity, like the smell of the unwashed masses, and can handle massive quantities of autistic fits.

Compared to OSR and TSR games, Pathfinder plays more like a character building and miniatures skirmish game. The action economy, movement, attacks and abilities are all tightly controlled and rigidly codified.

If you're playing at a game shop, it's highly likely they'll be running Pathfinder Society, the Pathfinder organized play. This means that with some rare exceptions everything will be run Rules As Written, with specific game content allowed and disallowed based on a constantly evolving meta dictated by Paizo. Chances are you can just show up and play a pregen, someone there will be able to explain the paperwork necessary to generate, register and track your first character.

Why would you even bother? PF has so much unnecessary and extremely poorly designed shit.

Yet people still consider its vaunted "complexity" to be something noteworthy and deride other systems because these other systems are "simplistic" in comparison. These fucking retards have no fucking clue what they're on.

Nigger if you already knew whether or not you wanted to play the game why did you make this terrible thread?

No we don't /Pfg/ doesn't approve of these. Fuck off.

Are you a fucking retard, I'm not the OP you blithering fool.

>n-no, /pfg/ isn't cancer!

That ship has sailed, user

/pfg/ is cancer and needs to be fucking purged.

So, it really is just a group of trolls hoping to run /pfg/ out of Veeky Forums who've been doing all this shitposting?

It's hardly a hidden conspiracy.

Are you that autistic and retarded that you can't recognize /pfg/ for the shitstain it is? Are you for real?

Thinking it's shitposting when pfg is a complete fuck up. Are you from pfg?

Just look at the two latest Pathfinder Generals.

PF is 3.butthurt edition, and 3.5 is broken edition where it got depth and complexity mixed up. Don't bother.

The game also attracts pedophiles, SJWs, furfags, and combinations of the three.

It's cute, comfy and degenerate.

Basically this, I can't even run OSR games for my friends because they go in expecting thousands of options and feeling heavily restricted because there are only four classes to choose from.

Do they actually recognize they're not restricted anymore?

What the fuck is wrong with them?

Nope, thankfully I've had far more success introducing Mini Six and Risus to them since there's no prejudices associated with d6 systems.

He means real life user, not Veeky Forums.

If the products are any indication then PF players are liberals who follow tumblr and want to smash the patriarchy (aka Asmodeus)

No.

That's the PF community irl as well.

Quote from Pathfinder General:

>I was going to apply with a shota kitsune vigilante shapeshifting/genderbending into a titty monster girl. The girl would be his masked persona. After all, disguising as different gender is something like -2 penalty and kitsune have Realistic Likeness which allows for actual gender cahnge.

This is the Pathfinder community in a nutshell.

To be fair, Veeky Forums applies a +20% depravity modifier to everything. If you weren't a little bit of a pervert, you wouldn't be here.

Does he not recognize he has something seriously wrong with him?

/pfg/'s depravity continues:

I had a DM insist that I couldn't attack different targets during a full attack because he saw a homebrew class that let you do that as a class ability.

A fucking homebrew class.