Sci-fi character/"creature" art thread. Post cyberpunks, space marines, robots, mechs, future tanks. Whatever

Sci-fi character/"creature" art thread. Post cyberpunks, space marines, robots, mechs, future tanks. Whatever

Other urls found in this thread:

figureheads.jp/corporate/salio/
figureheads.jp/corporate/zs/
figureheads.jp/corporate/cartel/
figureheads.jp/corporate/nnr
figureheads.jp/corporate/giw/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

obligatory for any sci-fi setting

I find this amusing. It has a machine gun on one set of arms and essentially a GAU 8 on the other set.

Here, have a bio-mechanical jet plane.

Ones anti-personnel, ones anti-everything else

Empty fields and trees aren't sci-fi, user.

Not complaining but goddamn half this thread is basically "holy shit look at how influential Aaron Beck is now"

Kind of a natural consequence of getting your designs featured in a major movie.

the one thing that i feel like you could use to work in these kinds of guns is that they have parts cast from 3d printed molds since non homemade guns are regulated and tracked too tightly. And its difficult to create all the small delicate parts for anything but a revolver and or you need very powerful rounds/smart rounds for modern combat meaning automatics are even more difficult to reproduce at home

why have 2 sets of arms though make the small one a turret

It can't flip people off while shooting them then. Think user.

i really resent him for what his influence has done to power armor. whenever powered exoskeletons are in movies they are just completely exposed and don't have any armor to finish the effect and its all fucking Aaron Beck's fault

The idea of the concept makes sense to me. It's not like soldiers are always going to wear the maximum amount of armor for every occasion so these things don't always require it as well. And in the case where it's not physically attached to the body it looks like parts of it can be quickly swapped out if something got damaged granted it's not like everyone shooting at you is going to be some kind of crack shot specifically aiming to disable your exo armor.

if you are just carrying what you would be carrying as a non enhanced soldier you are wasting the exosuit. sure it will make lugging that shit around a lot easier but you could have it doing that AND providing real protection to your vital organs. This all started poping up when raytheon showed off their current model of exosuit and it looked just like the ones in aaron beck's art but they even say themselves the intention is for it to be the basis of an extra layer of armor

I'm just disappointed no one has ever done Starship Troopers (the book, not the movie) style power armor correctly.

automatic weapons are not difficult to make as long as you got some hand tools and blueprints. Just look at open bolt, straight blowback guns like the Sten, Grease Gun, Luty, etc. Australian biker gangs often make their own subguns just to get around Australia's gun control.

I like the naked frames because it shows the mechanics.
In my setting, frames differ per role. Some are very naked to minimize weight but offer the maximum increased physical speed and power.
Others are smothered in armor but tend to lose the speed trait due to the collective mass of frame and armor (and armament, of course).

Yes I don't disagree with what your saying but there are also different missions that require different things. You may not need to be up armored for every encounter and, like you said, it makes carrying what you carry around anyways a lot easier.

If you're doing a bust on some gang bangers then having the moderate level of strength enhancement could help in subduing suspects or carrying them around when you have to deal with Tiny the 400 lbs strong man of the bunch.

Which one? Avatar? Elysium?

OrCall Of Duty: Infinite Borefare?

One day, when someone reinvents the wheel with ridiculous 40K style PA and becomes the design influence du jour, you'll have your day in the sun.

Until then, I feel you.

i am stretching really hard trying to help the guy that wants revolver rifles in sci fi settings. Automatic weapons for larger and more powerful round its significantly more difficult to produce

the idea of these providing a boost to speed is really silly unless that is coming from super jumping. Think about the fastest runners of the human race, they are the ones with the strongest legs. Speed isn't primarily derived from strength but from a large variety of sources. even if the suit was just forcing your body to take rapid large steps you would tear your ligaments apart. In terms of mobility exosuits provide endurance not speed

fine, sure but because aaron beck only likes exposed exosuits you get fucking messes like elisium and the all you need is kill hollywood thing and there isn't a single example of using exosuits for powerarmor.

One of the biggest benifits to a exoskeletal powerarmor system is you could take off and add armor plates and utility segments easily and i totally agree that different roles would use it for different things. I could imagine the most common though would just be a leg and back system so the load you are carrying doesn't way you down (thats what the military is really interested in in the first place)

we will get real power armor before then

If only because Hollywood Art moves slowly and Power Armor is practically finished now... they are missing a couple pieces, sure, and I am amazed they haven't figured it out when the answer is so obvious (to me anyway), but we are SO CLOSE to real power armor and Hollywood can take more than a decade to shake off an old copy of something. In fact the main reason Aaron Beck 'influence' might disappear is because after Power Armor has been in the field for a few years it will get copied for a movie and then everyone will copy that.

You say that but how much has the idea of certain sci-fi concepts bleed back into reality? Whatever your opinions of Aaron Beck are the way he makes his PA kinda fits the zeitgist of what exo skeletons are and generally look like.

I mean, how many real life versions of the Crysis suit do you see around or Warhammer being around longer than both of them and Starship troopers longer still.

That's an important consideration, thanks
I expected a lot of jumping around for the "speed" factor to really work

I'm wondering if it's feasible for the frame to put a "boost" in one's step to facilitate speed through larger strides over a small leap per leg.

Sam is a best

the power source is the last hurdle but its a massive one

i think it maybe you could consider improved mobility vs just speed allowing leaping up buildings and burst of speed from lateral leaps could be real cool

>surface-to-air missile missile

Yes. It shoots missiles to shoot missiles

I've always liked the idea of the muscle suits as they were shown in MGS as well as the material used to make Raging Raven's Wings.

My personal ideal would be those sorts of suits being the norm and then when you absolutely have to hulk smash a nigga you get the exo armor on top of it.

Is this a parody of Aaron Beck's art style?

A part of me wants to imagine that, given enough time, even criminal organizations can get into some really good product design and presentation for their illegal goods.

So I suppose this is as good a place to ask as any but what are your guys thoughts on cybernetics/augmentations?

The more I think about it the idea of having a computer in your head sound ridiculous because I can't help but think of how much brain surgery you have to deal with to replace potentially outdated hardware or what would happen if you get injured in situ.

Personally I think it would make sense that augmentations would allow you to connect to external devices so instead of having the computer in your head you have to connections and your eyes being the hud displays, can show the readouts and would be easier to replace then cutting open your noggin multiple times.

Of course this goes out the window when you get into full body prosthesis.

How about what people in the past thought the future would be?

>mounting grip on the suppressor

why

>NY SAFE act compliant AR
why would anyone ever use that willingly

That is the dumbest thing I've ever seen
I love it.

Who says that's Earth

>I'm just disappointed no one has ever done Starship Troopers (the book, not the movie) style power armor correctly.
Japan?

Samuel Rodrigues was a cool son of a bitch.
I really liked his AR-15 powered sheath that could shoot the sword out.

lol these are great

Anyone got any sci-fi dinosaurs?

Figureheads has a fuckton of cool mechs - helps Aaron Beck and two of the Hawken designers worked for Squarenix on them.

Warning, fanservice bullshit on the Figurehead tabs in each corp site.

figureheads.jp/corporate/salio/

figureheads.jp/corporate/zs/

figureheads.jp/corporate/cartel/

figureheads.jp/corporate/nnr

figureheads.jp/corporate/giw/

To look at the mechs, click the 2foot tab.

Post organic looking weapons pls.
I eed to increase my collection.

Nope

Muscle suits are better for melee combat cause they should in theory have higher reaction speed. But servo-based exoskeleton can pile a lot of armor on top without squishing.

>robots, mechs

Both are the same thing user

t./m/

In their defense, tanks started to get much bigger with only a few iterations--the first tanks weren't much bigger than a full-size car; you could host a small get-together on today's MBTs. Seems the Germans completed a prototype that was almost 200 tons.

Based on existing prototypes, that active camo ghillie would almost look like a bead curtain when inactive.

Muscle Suits in general would be better for most things because it's reasonable to believe you can still wear regular clothing over them so you can keep your regular military uniforms and still use most of your equipment (harnesses, vests, etc)

Pull a Team Rocket on it.

Make it so that it shoots nets and stun rounds and all sorts of things.

I can see Revolvers staying around as sidearms in a dingy space bar, but not as a Space Marine sidearms.