MTG Frontier General

Collected Company Edition

Its tournament time again Veeky Forums so I'm gonna try to get this thread to stick once more.

What's Frontier?:
Frontier is a new non rotating format that begins at M15 till now. It has no bans and is currently not officially supported by Wizards.
Some of its current benefits is that is incredibly cheap to get into, you get to play with all your banned cards from standard, and that it's not yet been solved so it's a brewers Paradise.

Metagame: mtggoldfish.com/metagame/frontier#paper

Let's have some questions:

>Has your FLGS started doing Frontier tournaments?
>What are you playing?
>What are you hating?
>What are you brewing?
>What do you think of the format so far? Can it survive?

and from an earlier thread
>If you could ban one card which one would it be and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/cgLTnzTQ
pastebin.com/RbLL72U9
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Wow, that art is pretty bad, now that I look at it.

Can we stop this meme format full of meme cancer cards already? Who really wants to play against meme rhinos, 4 color bull, Jace vryns prodigy, fetches, smug copter, reflector mage, coco, and rally?

yeah it looks better when it's on a small card

most decks aren't like that and modern and other eternal formats have staples too. Do you only play kitchen table or what?

Lets not forget goblin rabblemaster, ugin, tasigur, the bolt regent from dragons, reflector mage,and the whole host of cancer cards

Is aristocrats any good in this format?

The thing with modern is that there are so many archetypes that you can go through an entire fnm of it and not see the same deck twice, and most that cards seen twice are utility or removal cards like bolt, or path, and there's nothing really so oppressively dominant that you have to groan at the sight of it, well not anymore since the dredge ban at least. Except your rock-paper-scissor match ups but that's expected.

Shit format.
the good thing is that if this goes popular, wizards will pander to this shit and stop baning things in modern

Hey! I'm going to start my magic collection in a buy some packs every month way, the sort where if i get a expensive card ill sell to get some more, if not ill just add it to the cillection. I was thinking of starting with 5 or ao boosters from each non expensive release , any tips? Also cheapest place ti buy packs in boxes or so in europe?

Sorry for the grammar a bit sleepy+phone

Slowly completing my frontier abzan deck. I still need dem fatal pushesh. I'm also considering switching the blackhulk for a green one.

also - a shit photo quality taken with an ancient phone

personally I'd just do drafts because at least you get to play while doing this

It was pretty powerful when it was in standard and it has new directions it can go because of aether revolt so I'd at least try it.

That Largely depends on local meta. Last FNM 3 of my 4 matchups were against Grixis control. On top of that there can be and often Is quite a bit of diversity in frontier as well

>Complaining about cards that have so many answers
>Calling any card you don't like cancer

>Tournament
Yeah my local people seem to like the format
>Playing
Atarka Red
>Hating
UR Prowess
>Brewing
Abzan Warriors
>Opinion
I enjoy it because to me it's the perfect blend of standard and modern. Its survival depends solely on adoption but I believe the structure is there.
>Ban
Idk. Fetches, Dig Through Time, and Treasure Cruise are possibilities. Nothing is too problematic as of now and a lot of things have answers.

Hear me out here guys. I think if there is enough interest in this format Wizards will support it and even design with it in mind. Why? Power level. The power level of frontier is very consistent and is consistent with standards power level. If anything the quality of new sets is going up. What this means is that new sets will either have better cards or roughly equal power cards to older sets. This means that unlike modern frontier can and most likely will sell packs and so wizards would benefit from supporting it.

Wow Double Trips and the mark of the beast. Must be true.

Desolator is that you?

I put together these shitbrews r8 me lads

This one I call izzet scissors and is basically ensoul but with a backup plan in case the all-in aggro goes south.

pastebin.com/cgLTnzTQ

I built some Abzan aristocrats as well, using a few of the new cards to get cannon fodder and graveyard recursion.

pastebin.com/RbLL72U9

those actually seem like a lot of fun. Have you played them yet?

Izzet scissors is a loose cannon to say the least. Some games you just dominate because you're going hard with a 5/5 indestructible or flying and finish with a strategic shrapnel blast, but others you just feel like your game plan is too fragile and really prone to removal. I kept a lot of removal sideboarded just in case another player got ahead of me.

Abzan aristocrats on the other hand works really well if your opponent doesn't have anafenza or kalitas. Fatal push takes care of them both and is pretty easy to proc, but both of them pose a threat to the gameplan. I feel like I should have more removal put in, but once you go wide it's really hard to stop victory. The best play I ever made was on turn six where I pulled Sram's expertise, got three servos, and played Nantuko husk. I then pumped nantuko husk to 6/6 and cast Life's legacy on top of it turn 4 to refill my hand from 1 -> 7.

So is frontier 4 color goodstuff and collected company: the format?
That's one of the major things stopping me from caring about it.

There is actually a lot of diversity. Only Elves, Rally, and bant play Coco and those decks while popular even together they only make up 10% of the meta. As far as 4 color decks go of course they are going to exist but a majority of decks are two colors maybe splashing a third. There are even a few mono color decks. The meta game is really fluid and the format isn't yet "Solved". I've seen mono red goblins, UR Prowess, UR Ensoul, mono blue mill, and other diverse and fun decks. one person at my LGS was playing lifegain and went 2-2 winning only off of Felidar Sovriegn. I'd say go for it and just brew a few decks that are cheap and you find fun or interesting. Just starting the brewing process sold me on this format.

Do you guys think Tezzerets Pervert Touch as well as fatal push and a few other great black cards are enough to go full Grixis Ensoul Artifact?

Tezz touch works as a 2x. Push is good too.

I'm assuming you don't play standard much, do ya?

Except there are a few answers that are in current standard and even more when you take into account all of frontier.

So i've been playing this format a little on xmage cause I like casting dig through time and i'll never buy into vintage. Why is it that everyone who plays this format is either bad at magic, or someone who gets mad and quits when they're gonna loose? Also the format seems like a midrange fuckfest, which can be fun in small doses, but rhino and gearhulk mirrors will only get you so far. I'm just confused as to why anyone would play this format over almost any other one.

because they don't want to pay modern/legacy prices or pay for rotating decks in standard.

basically, poorfags want a poorfag format and shops came up with the "HOT NEW THING" to try and move old standard bulk that no one wants.

Frontier: the desperate attempt by players who were dumb enough to invest hundreds of dollars in a rotating format to dellude themselves into thinking their money wasnt wasted.

You reveal yourself as a total douchebag with a perverted way of looking at games

It's just another option

I find the hate for frontier to be to totally illogical, it's just another way to use cards that aren't really playable in any other format, like siege rhino and scissors and rally the ancestors, etc. if you don't have any cards or synergies since m15 that you like then don't play it

Don't buy packs unless you're going to draft or play sealed.

"use cards unplayable in other formats" just means inflating their prices so that big vendors can make more money. there is a reason this format isn't supported or created by wizards: it's shit. Big card sellers realized wizards was powering down standard and introducing less eternal playables, and that magic was experiencing large amounts of growth during those sets, so now they were left with tons of these basically worthless rares/mythics that saw tons of standard play and are now garbage. So they make a new format to artificially drive up the price of these cards so they can unload whatever product they have left and cut their losses. The format will be dead in 6 months, a year at max. Especially if wizards decides they want to create a format that is actually a good mix of modern and standard.

>wow look people don't want to spend $1000+ on decks to play a game and are tired of playing a rotating format
>better shit on them for wanting an in-between

(You)

>I spent $800 on a standard deck that I know will be worthless in a year instead of $1200 on a modern/legacy deck that will be around for as long as I am still playing
>Waaahh wizards make me a new shitty format that nobody wanted because of my shit financial decision making

oh wait it wasn't even wizards it was some game store trying to capitalize on you retards

I don't "get" this format. I'd rather play reverse frontier - everything between m10 and m15.

I can't see anything in this format being better than three colour goodstuff.

>800 dollars on a standard deck

What in god's name are you doing? Are you playing with all foils or something?

A tier 1 standard deck is typically $300 dollars.

were you playing back when fetchlands, fetchable duals, and jace were legal? Every deck ran 8+ fetches and 4 jace, which together were about $500. The rest of the deck consisted of a bunch of 10-20 dollar cards. It was the most expensive standard since cawblade

That particular standard was an anomaly which allowed for fetchlands making 3+ color goodshit cancerous

I would immediately ban fetches from this format, and if it happened, the average frontier deck price would drop and prevent decks like dark jeskai from dominating all the time

Cathartic reunion or tormenting voice in red blue tutelage?

Land (23)
1x Bloodstained Mire
4x Darksteel Citadel
1x Inventors' Fair
3x Island
1x Mountain
3x Polluted Delta
1x Smoldering Marsh
4x Spirebluff Canal
2x Sunken Hollow
1x Swamp
1x Tomb of the Spirit Dragon
1x Wandering Fumarole

Instant (17)
3x Anticipate
2x Artificer's Epiphany
2x Dispel
3x Negate
4x Shrapnel Blast
3x Unlicensed Disintegration

Creature (12)
4x Bomat Courier
2x Chief of the Foundry
2x Hangarback Walker
4x Thopter Engineer

Enchantment (4)
4x Ensoul Artifact

Artifact (4)
4x Ghostfire Blade

Sideboard (15)
2x Dispel
3x Horribly Awry
1x Negate
2x Rending Volley
2x Roast
2x Tormod's Crypt
1x Unlicensed Disintegration
2x Void Snare

Not bad, but do you think you'll need all those counterspells maindecked? You could save a few in the SB to play some more threats.

They come in handy against Collected Company, Rally the Ancestors, and Dig Through Time.

So you've turned this into a tempo deck I guess?

What is the meta like in this format? I literally cannot see anything except coco being eternal tier 0

Atarka Red, Elves, Jeskai Black, UR Prowess etc. There is literally a metagame page in the OP dude come on.

Reunion. More Draw for one spell and you get to have more discard for your dig through time or more importantly treasure cruise

I'm slowly getting bored of people considering frontier as coco format. Coco dominated standard only half a year before that it was pretty tame. Considering Frontier has access to m15 and khans cards... Coco is good, just solid but far from being broken.

Yes, but if the mentioned cards aren't being played I side them out and and play more aggressively.
Coco is my bitch.

niceme.me

Wew lad you must know a lot about magic