EDH/Commander General- /edhg/

Removal Edition

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

What's your opinion when it comes to including removal? How do you balance between advancing your game plan and having answers?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/toshiro-valuetown/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/baral-the-moonman/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Old thread:

>what's your opinion when it comes to including removal
your combo won't save your ass if you can't get it out. Always have plenty of options to deal with people.

This isn't a single-player mode after all.

>What's your opinion when it comes to including removal?
Don't clog your deck up with it, but you should be packing a little removal for literally every permanent type you can touch in your color(s), just in case.
>How do you balance between advancing your game plan and having answers?
Unless it's going to generate massive advantage immediately, I keep my removal held up until I know I need to use it to stop an opponent from fucking me up or running off with the whole game.

Post your favorite removal, lads

Vindicate and all it's brethren (Utter End, Anguished Unmaking, Mortify). In fact, I love Orzhov removal in general, especially when paired with Golgari removal (Putrefy, Maelstrom Pulse, etc). It's part of why Abzan is my favorite color combination.

Pity I didn't like what they did with it in Khans and there isn't any commanders in those colors that I like.

Psychic Surgery in Lazav. Good or awful idea?

Don't like Doran?

You've also got the Partner Commanders from this year's commander set.
Reyhan + Ravos looks like sick value town stuff

>he doesn't like Doran THICC Tribal
>he doesn't like Ghave and all the insane fuckery that he enables

Anafenza always seemed pretty solid to me. Plus she turns a lot of the better removal of her colors into better removal when you use it on a creature, 'cause she exiles it.

Ashes to Ashes has been my jam for years. Barter in Blood is pretty cool, but sometimes I just NEED that targeted exile. I can't rely on "destroy" any more. Too much recursion nowadays.

Shoutout to Revoke Existence while I'm at it.

>What's your opinion when it comes to including removal? How do you balance between advancing your game plan and having answers?
Enough to generally have one in your hand early to stop a combo from going off, but not so many that your hand is nothing BUT removal. A lot of people don't understand that part of having a plan is having a counter-plan.

Orzhov removal is the best reason to play those colors. Maintaining the status quo is the same as winning to most Orzhov commanders. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

I had it in a Phenax deck for a while. Not exactly the same type of deck, but the broad strokes are the same. It doesn't last long and it attracts aggression. People really don't like their toys broken, especially if they haven't had a chance to play with them yet.

>Post your favorite removal, lads
Omnath, Locus of Mana is 98 cards, Omnath, and pic related.

>51450686

Even though the second one isn't "removal", I love everything about it.

Both cards have awesome art, theme, and flavor quote. Nothing quite fits the bill of Black like a card just called "Murder."

Is there any new spicy Animar tech?

I like Doran but he feels awful gimmicky. And Ghave is neat but I'm not sure how to build it effectively without it being a degenerate combo machine.

Anafenza's okay, just a bit boring. It's not that I hate the existing Abzan commanders, they just don't SPEAK to me, you know what I mean?

what are good ramp and card draw cards for mono-red?

Try this card user.

Mind stone
Hedron archive
Dreamstone hedron
(These are good because they also give you draw if needed)

And

Sol ring
Thran dynamo

Walking bastilla?

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/toshiro-valuetown/
I think I'm a bit too heavy on spells that only effect nonblack creatures. We have a Grimgrin Player at my table, and usually I can deal with him early with Edicts and such, but I think I'll swap out Hideous End for Go For The Throat.

Beyond that, I think the only big upgrade would be Vampiric Tutor, because I can get two uses out of it from Toshiro's Trigger.

I'm also on the fence about adding in Mindcrank. Without Bloodchief Ascension online the card is just terrible, and Bloodchief Ascension is a prime target for removal.

Do you see any other issues with the deck, aside from missing Deserted Temple? I'm also likely going to slot in Liliana, The Last Hope for some graveyard recusion and for plinking down tiny threats to trigger toshi.

I'd also say Myriad Landscape. It's a pretty good inclusion in most monocolor decks.

Mind's Eye as well, but it's a bit costly, but will generate a lot of value as the game progresses.

As for card draw, get ready to loot. Faithless Looting, Grier Reach Sanitarium, Cathartic Reunion, or go wheeling with Wheel of Fortune and Reforge the Soul.

Seer's Sundial is pretty slow, but it also works, and obviously if you're running any tokens, Skullclamp is auto-include material.

You build fun non-degenerate Ghave by not slapping a thousand tutors into your deck, and putting in the combo pieces. Make sure you can do goofy shit like put 8 tokens on a single creature off of Ghave's sac ability. I've let my extremely low-power group play my Ghave deck, and watching them draw a card and think "what the fuck combo did I just draw into?" is priceless, every time.

Anyone have a cool name for a Gonti deck?
I was thinking about naming mine 「STICKY FINGERS」

I was going to name one [THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD]

「Empire of Dirt」

Lifecrafter's beastiary

MR FANCY PANTS

How the fuck do I build an aggro deck for this format? Isn't it supposed to be slow? How can I exploit that fact? I want to be dumping shit on the board while everyone else is still ramping.

>Isn't it supposed to be slow
Well, no. The best decks in the format win turn 2-4 through interaction. I can promise you that you're not playing against those decks, though.

Exploit that fact by running low CMC creatures, usually tokens, or cards that are in general hard to deal with. It's different than aggro in other constructed formats in that you're also trying to ramp into big fat spells, like Eldrazi monument, or activating your Beastmaster Ascension. Look up Elfball strategies for a good idea of what aggro looks like in this format.

it's like aggro in other formats, but bigger and dumber, and lets you run more jank. That's why I like it.

Gaddock and Alesha are pretty good aggro commanders.

>dunking on the table 4 out of 5 games with Hidetsugu

This level of fun should not be allowed

Why wait for someone to actually play the card you're removing?

Edric may be up your alley. Probably the only kind of deck I can think of that wants evasive one drops like flying men. He doesn't do as well in multiplayer games but you can probably figure out how to apply his strategy more broadly. An aggressive hate bear strategy that includes recursion with Anafenza or Alesha could also work and be more resilient if you're worried about getting blown out.

「THESE EXILED YEARS」

You want agro? You want real fucking balls to the wall, dick in your hand, pants on the ground agro?

RIDE THE FUCKING DRAGON, user. You grab her tight and you never look back.

Wort boggart auntie 50 goblins is where you need to go

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/baral-the-moonman/
did I do good Veeky Forums?

You can build grixis marchesa to protect against wraths.

Either that or tokens.

If you think that Animar bypasses the minimum cost thing, you're wrong. Trinisphere always wins.

can i use cards with hybrid mana cost if i don't have the other color on my commander?

Nope.

Stupid rule though.

903.4: The Commander variant uses color identity to determine what cards can be in a deck with a certain commander. The color identity of a card is the color or colors of any mana symbols in that card's mana cost or rules text, plus any colors defined by its characteristic-defining abilities (see rule 604.3) or color indicator (see rule 204).

Example: Bosh, Iron Golem is a legendary artifact creature with mana cost {8} and the ability "{3}{R}, Sacrifice an artifact: Bosh, Iron Golem deals damage equal to the sacrificed artifact's converted mana cost to target creature or player." Bosh's color identity is red.

The hybrid cards have the color identity of both sides, so you can only legally run them if you have both sides in your colors.

Purph + impact tremors.dec with all the damahe doublers/sulphuric vortex effects will blow the table out pretty quick and early too

Krenko goblin swarm is always popular

If you play in a blue heavy meta, pack red elemental blast, boil, boiling seas, and pyroblast.

I feel like this is way better in the long run

two types of people post in /edh/

Kek. I'd love to see an Animar faggot playing this card.

"I like your spunk"

"plagiarism"

"Anything you can do, I can do better"

Nah man. Urza's blueprints is only giving me 1 card a turn while I can essentially draw my entire deck with book of rass if I have the mana. Also blue prints cost 12 to keep on the field. So i'm paying 6 to 12 mana for a card or two? seem like shit desu sempai

I really want to try using this in my endrek deck. With a zulaport or blood artist, this could be really funny.
I want to see it rip a token deck in half and draw the game instantly

The book of rass also makes you pay life, if you're going to be drawing your entire deck you best make sure you have the life

>2 mana exile target creature and put 2 counters on another
>literally worth shit

how can this be?

The main place I'd want either of these is mono-white. Lifelink is common enough that I think I'd rather /I am going to use Rass. Maybe Red wants the blueprints more but idk.

Dunno, I made a soulmender cannibalize an avacyn once

I'm thinking of it for slobad.
In my case I think the blueprints would be better. Paradox engine, clock of omens, unwinding clock, there's quite a few ways to have fun with this card despite its egregious cmc

>life
Life is a resource, bro. Do you see anybody refusing to play any of the great black draw like Greed, Erebos, Phyrexian Arena, Necropotence, etc, because it costs life?

I pulled a mana crpyt the other night.
Do you guys think I should keep it for Commander or sell ? Does the pace-advantage tend to matter ?

That's metal as fuck. Can you imagine one of the most powerful angels ever being eaten by a 1/1 w cleric? now imagine that after the meal that cleric took scraps of Avacyn's body and sewed them onto herself. I love delving into flavor of cards and imagining these wild possibilities.

>

It's tough to say. I told my self unless I get Masterwork Sol Ring I'm just going to sell the masterwork, buy the cheapest copy of what ever the masterwork was, and use the rest to finance a new deck/upgrades.

Also what do y'all think about Kytheon, Soldier Token/Anthem tribal? I'd love to swing in for Lethal Commander Damage with a planeswalker.

Way better artifact repeatable card draw: Tower of Fortunes, Loreseeker Stone, Trading Post. If you're willing to sacrifice things, there's even more options. Book and Blueprints are both shit fampai

Should always include some removal for every type of permanent, if your colours support it.

Also what do you do about a new player who's first deck is slivers and cries every time he gets hated off the table?
I suggested to him to play something else if he doesn't want the hate, but he just sticks with it and cries every match. Getting annoying.

how is book shit? it's colorless greed that cost 1 more. I run Erebos in Mardu mostly for the draw. I'd be more than happy to run book in Mono-W or Boros, And Lorseseeker's Stone/Trading post are pretty great but I feel that tower of fortunes runs into a lot of the smae problems as Blueprints. I still have to pay 12 to draw my first card. It is better than blueprints as there is A) no echo cost B)you get more cards more quickly for approx the same mana investment. But I'd rather not run tower if I can avoid it

Oh fuck, I thought that it also tapped for some reason. Never mind then

Can't fix stupid user. I had a similar problem with this dude who wanted to run Horde of Notions Elemental tribal. He'd always get color locked because he had no real color fixing and only used basic lands. Not even guildgates cuz "They were werse than basics cuz the enter tapped" He'd get hated because everyone feared the 5c deck but he was literally too much of noob to do anything. I just kept suggesting doing angry Omnath instead until he finally realised his deck sucked and there wasn't a way to save it with out a manabase over haul. Some lesson people have to learn on their own. all you can do is talk/mock him about what went wrong with his deck. Or you could try telling your meta to step off the kid for a few matches. But that doesn't make the problem any better. I have the suspicion that the kid will cry about anything. Even if he just gets caught in the cross fire of a wipe or his win-con gets exiled/blown up you'll still probably heat about how everyone was being mean and unfair.

Final option is tell him that being hated off the table is good cuz it shows that everyone thinks you're really good/scary.

Ashiok was on Theros investigating how to make a god. Their clothing matches the Egyptian/Amokhet style, and they were suspected to be an 'Egyptian' walker from the start (plus the flavor of an Egyptian walker in a Greek set is pretty great.

Hope you're ready for new gods, most likely tri-color

Inb4 bolas is the grixis god

Right now Mana Crypt is the cheapest it's going to be in a long, long time unless it gets reprinted in EMA2. So I'd say hold on to it for now, at least until right before EMA2 comes out.

fucking zada man.

first you have a couple of tokens, then you draw so hard it makes blue cry, and then you win by combo or huge fuckken gobbos.

But user, token decks are what its for.

I have one in my Ghave, Guru of Spores deck. I am the only one laughing.

>sorcery
that's why

>Zada
>not Krenko
fuck even if you aren't going for the degenerate combo kill, being able to create free gobbos every turn is too good to pass up.

>new gods
Ugh, that's so fucking boring. Can we get something a little more inspired?

i played krenko, people see it coming a mile away if they have any removal whatsoever.

I see what you did there

Last Laugh
Drop of Honey
Porphyry Nodes

Yep. Krenko is like Rakdos and Memnarch. The second they come in, someone blasts them away because of how fast shit hits the fan with them

Nah fuck you

I want more gods

Lately, this.

>sarcasmface.jpeg

But that's bad. Shitty, even. Why the fuck is this rare?

it's Uncommon senpai

This would only be good if you could choose the sacrifice mode more than once. But you can't and the other modes are shit.

Play Wing Shards instead.

Oh? That foil is just then badly placed. Or maybe because I'm colourblind and I had hard time distinguishing some rares and mythics from each other just by the logo colours in Khans block

Hey guys, I need some non-white recurring lifegain , what should I be looking out for?

But what if the opponent doesn't cast any spells before the combat? Or worst of all, stifles the storm trigger?

Venser's Journal and Ivory Tower. But former is useful, latter is not.

Ifs and buts, user. Besides, it'd still be better than

Does this even count as removal? I sure love casting it, though.

Essence Warden? Courser of Kruphix?
You didn't really specify exact colors you need.

As long as it's not white, it's in my colours.

Sure does. Double removal, even. Pretty good for that mana cost

My go-to nonspell removal is enchanting Krond the Dawn-Clad with something that gives hexproof/indestructible. Poor man's Annihilator

Does anyone have all those edits of anguished unnmaking?

>enchanting Krond the Dawn-Clad with something that gives hexproof/indestructible

Using artifacts/enchantments that put copies of triggered abilities on the stack with this sounds lovely. Hard to pull off maybe, but lovely nonetheless

>Removal Edition
Fantastic timing desu

What is the best mass black removal for a Golgari token deck that doesn't cost a kidney to get a copy of (i.e. Damnation)? Toxic Deluge is the second best I can find, but it still requires a ton of health to actually screw the opponents more than myself. Almost all other options seem more harmful towards my own creatures than the other players - Mutilate, etc. I'm still split on the aforementioned Toxic Deluge and Black Sun's Zenith - which is more beneficial in your own experience?

I'm discounting stuff like In Garruk's Wake since that's a late game effect and I also need a cheaper option.

Well, that's true. I think the metalcraft one is decent as well kinda.

Man black isn't that great for removal that doesn't harm you too. Crux of Fate? Forced March?

>golgari

Black sun's zenith + Melira

Well, you may need to accept that you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.

That said, take a look at Decree of Pain. You can use it to clear some weenies and draw a card, or you can cast it (for a lot of mana, mind you) to wipe the board for an insane card advantage.

Obviously, if you don't have a limitless hand, you probably shouldn't go for it (unless you have a lot of reanimator shit).

If you can deal with losing life: Rain of Daggers

Maddening Imp is another thing to consider, if you play against someone that taps all their shit for abilities

I don't necessarily want removal that doesn't harm me at all, but something that will also harm shit like Kaalia decks on an equal level without having to spend ridiculous resources on it. Forced March still kills all my tokens and basically nothing else unless I pay like 3BBB for it.

Melira unfortunately doesn't synergize with anything I run, and I don't feel like expanding to yet another -1/-1 counter niche when I already have trouble thinking what to replace. How good is Black Sun's Zenith on its own?

Yeah I ran Decree of Pain one upon a time, but the main mode is too expensive with In Garruk's Wake already in the 99 and the secondary mode is basically sudoku for my deck (Goodbye Ophiomancer, Creakwood Liege and all your kids).