WIP - Painting/Converting/Sculpting General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
>Currently Offline

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>This planet is ours, witch!
youtube.com/watch?v=7_b-qBTul44

>Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

hobbytools.com.au/tool-holders-pin-vices-hand-drills/
mightyape.com.au/product/tamiya-fine-pin-vise-0-1-3-2mm/26076002
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Looks like there's another Johnny up for sale. Seller might not know what he has, as there are no distinctive keywords. Also, he might not ship out of the UK (haven't asked), so some pommy bastard might be the lucky one this time!

update on my castle fort from last thread

i dont know if i have the will to do four of these, but it'd be pretty much all the scenery i'd need for a vanguard game

There's a pencil sketch of the new sail. This is gonna be the last attempt as any more white is gonna make the sail thick.
Good start?

I can't shine a light on the sail or the sketching becomes unviewable so sorry about that

Finished today

Wildo you fuck

Yiss. Gud

Anyone have any suggestions for models that work ad imperial guard? Also, how can I work red into my color scheme for guard? I've done some google searching and can't find something I like.

It's always nice seeing different colour schemes on stuff like this.

The drum embedded in in dry, cracked ground bothers me though since it doesn't really make much sense.

I am enjoying your progress. keep it up.

Admittedly, i just got the sector imperialis basing kit from gw, and may have gotten a little careless

looks like skateboard art from the 90's. pretty jarring with DE, but whatever levitates your skimmer. you seem pretty dedicated to badly drawn skulls

I'd say adding a bit more Martian Ironearth around the edges of the barrel would help. As is, it just looks like a barrel half that's been placed on the ground, rather that something that's sunk in, imho.

It doesn't really make much sense for it to be sunk in at all is the thing, since it's hard and dry.

Hey I need some advice. Posted in /40g/ but you guys are crafty so you might have better input.

I'm moving into a new place downtown and need a way to secure my minis. I've got about 10k points in total of Necrons, Eldar, Space Marines and Genestealer Cult.

Don't have the time or scratch to get a bunch of battlefoam or whatever, considering I'm moving out by the 20th, so I need something that can keep my minis secure for a half-hour car ride.

Thx in advance

I know that people use magnet foil under their bases and metal bawkses to transport their stuff.
You can get the magnet bases precut these days too.

Maybe add more debris scattered about? It'll make it seem less out of place.

when I paint this, can i get away with a base layer of shitty craft-store acrylic and then drybrushes with GW paints, or will it fuck up the detail? I want to paint the thing but not use eight bottles of paint doing it.

There's nothing wrong with using all craft paints on terrain.

Spray it, would be my advice.

Do not spray, it will melt the polystyrene

The lamp post thing bothers me. He looks like he just walked straight through it.

Would the Custodes shoulder pads fit marines or terminators?

You have to either brush on prime or apply white glue to the foam via brush and then prime it. Correct me if im wrong.

The nozzle to my thing of Army Painter Super Glue is sealed shut, Is there anyway to make sure it stay clear? I did keep the cap on it.

Packing peanuts and a careful hand should be just fine.

There is no way of keeping it clear other than using a bottle that comes with a metal tip or has a metal spike on its cap. The best super glue brands know what super glue does so they design their bottles accordingly.

Is there anything special about Citadelâ„¢ paint or is it just acrylic paint with meme names?

compared to craftstore acrylics for non-miniature use, they're miles better.

compared to other miniature-hobby paints, theyre so-so and generally overpriced, but have the saving grace of some nice technical and specialty paints.

It has some paints that other brands don't offer, but it's basically just slightly more expensive model paint that comes in shittier bottles compared to other brands like Reaper, Vallejo, Privateer Press, etc.

Regular acrylic paint is unusable garbage for our purposes. They are meant for large canvases, not small plastic/metal/resin figures.

Back when I was in high school, my ghetto transport option for going to friends' places was a shoebox full of handkerchiefs.

Anyone here paint busts? I'm looking to get into it so I can pad my commission portfolio. Where do you guys usually buy them from? I'm mostly interested in WW2 and fantasy stuff. Also if there are any commissioned painters here, how did you get started doing commissions? I'm not the best, but I've got the basic skills and a lot of free time to learn.

The best way to avoid super glue sealing itself shut is to get a brush on super glue where the glue never comes in contact with the seal.

Marines, but not terminators

Not sure if you are aware, but posting just in case.
Don't spray paint it without giving it multiple decent coats of something protective.
Looking good.

Great Unclean One sculpt finished! There's a lot I would change if I did it again but for my first major greenstuff project I'm really pleased. Going to let him cure for a day or so then do one last hunt for mould lines before I prime him.

looks great, he needs some lil nurglings

Spackle paste is an easy, and god tier way to add texture to and cover foam terrain. It's also great for using on bases.

Victoria miniatures if your looking to start an alternative regiment.

What's the best way to Chaos up some Grey Knight termi armor? It's for a fallen Malleus inquisitor, not for a Grey Knight.

Has anyone tried using soulstone blue over a metallic basecoat to make metallic blue? I've seen it work with red over gold for Thousand Sons.

If so, pics?

fuckin' aces, user!
I do agree with add some nurglings if you feel like it. it ain't necessary, but it'll look nice.

What's a good hand drill for minis? I keep seeing "DO NOT BUY, CHINESE PIECE OF SHIT" scattered between reviews of the ones I look at

Need to highlight this and then I'm all done.

I can't say I've used a wide variety of them, but I got the P3 one and it's been fine for me and conveniently came with a bunch of brass rod to use.

Don't get lazy, user. There's a whole lot of detail you could be picking out.

I'm not going for eavy metal standard. Just trying to get to table top standard as quickly as possible. Im going to go back and pick out other details further down the line.

I can confirm the ones I bought were generic branded units and they were made of 100% genuine Chinesium. Fucking ghastly.

Might look into P3 like Mine are so shit it's almost not worth it.

Ugh, I'm just going to go to a fucking hardware store in REAL LIFE to get one instead of Amazon gambling.

Ah, carry on then.

Is painting skeletons with a black primer/undercoat a bad idea? Not able to spray undercoat because of the weather just now and just have imperial primer.

Thinking of just painting on zandri dust then adding on Ushabti bone then shade with agrax, add more ushabiti and white for highlights. Will that make them too dark/brown?

How big is your painting/modeling backlog?

wait for a break in the weather then use the vallejo grey primer. Ushabti over that, with gloss agrax. Highlight with a slight off-white (screaming skull I think they call it) then pure white for the most extreme edge highlights

the gloss agrax flows so much better than the regular agrax.

Anyone got tips on blending flesh into metallics? have a plan for some kairic acolytes(and Ferrus Manus) and need to figure out how feasible is it

Nothing really wrong with it. Zandri dust and agrax will kill any difference you might see with black primer.

Hello. What brand of not too costly but sufficiently detailed metal miniatures would you recommand for training purposes, /wip/?

buy some second hand space marines off ebay and a gallon jug of super clean

paint them again and again until you never want to paint another space marine

reaper miniatures are fairly cheap, metal and usually single-piece

Thank you both. I'll take a look.

For value for money something historical like Perry's might be good.

>The drum embedded in in dry, cracked ground bothers me though since it doesn't really make much sense.
are you joking?

>leave drum in wet mud
>it dries
>drum halfway submurged in hard ground

Mud cracks (that texture) happen because it was once mud, then the moisture leaves and it has to contract, causing even cracking patterns.

>just realised how autistic this response is for a 5 hour old post
sry you triggered a geologist my bad

Just grab a standard inquisitor and chaos it up. Lot easier to do and much more convincing, as those look menacing to start with.

Take this handsome bastard for example. My favorite Inquisitor sculpt. It'd be easy as pie to make him Chaos-y if you grab him resin, give him a tattered robe, mutations, some glyphs and fucked up weapons and boom. Done.

Smaller than the vast majority of players, and yet still too large.

I dare not think about it. More than a hundred marines between 30k (BoP and BaC) and 40k, metal veterans of all kind, almost got them all, plus LotD.
2 boxes of Bullgryns, 1 Stormtalin that I'm currently building, buyt my airbrush broke last night so can't paint it, a Giant, a start collecting Ironjawz, and several boxes of orks.
God, help me.

Looks really cool, although I don't get the sword, how is he supposed to use it? Or do I just don't see it correctly and he leans on it?

Aliexpress hand vice and pick the cheapest one.

You bastard, now I can't stop thinking about my backlog. Even knowing that everyone else has the same problem isn't helping!

What hardware store can you get one of these at? Australian hardware stores don't stock these (correct/enlighten me please).

2 Terminator HQs
2 Power armor HQs

15 Terminators
5 Devastators
5 Assault Marines

1 Land Raider

But I only have 0 HQs and 30 Troops painted

three snap-fit space marines because i haven't started painting yet.
Gonna start 'em tomorrow. Wish me luck, /wip/!

hobbytools.com.au/tool-holders-pin-vices-hand-drills/
mightyape.com.au/product/tamiya-fine-pin-vise-0-1-3-2mm/26076002

11 paper leman russes or equiv,
6 paper chimera or equiv
160+ guardsmen equiv from warzone and wargames factory
2 aobr
1 bop
1 us armoured company from plastic soldier

>paper leman russes

pics

you missed a wee lil bit on the tummy. near exposed gut

also 1850 points each of eldar, deathwatch, Deathguard, Nurgle daemons and dwarfs.

Help me /wip/, I somehow lost my standard paint brush, I have no idea what happened to it. Also have a shitty pic of my harley kill team I'm trying to paint.

Jesus wept user. Build nothing until you've painted at least ten dudes, then reward yourself with a scratchbuild.

That'd mean I'd have to settle on a scheme.

Good luck user!

PAINTS. THIN THEM.

YOU'RE ONE OF THEM

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Painting a model mean you give up future conversions on it, how can I do that when there's so much awesome shit to build?

Watch Duncan tutorials if you haven't done so already!

Thanks, yeah I might add just one, don't intend to cover him in them.

Yes the end of the blade is against the ground and he's leaning on the handle. I need to stick him on a bigger base which will make it clearer.

Not sure where or what you mean.

Just finished him, pretty please with how he turned out :)

Ebay turns up some horrid shit.

Just fuggin paint it and base it, it's not that hard.

REEEE.

Cunts like you drag gaming stores down. Nothing more annoying than playing against some lazy cunt who can't be fucked painting his insanely overpriced models.

Why do you even play Warhammer if you don't paint? It's not exactly a good or balanced strategy game?

Threw these in the 40k gen too, the first guys I've painted.

>That'd mean I'd have to settle on a scheme.

Only for those ten dudes. Pick one constant across the army (skin colour) and then go nuts with your schemes.

I mean, you're not going to, so I don't know why I'm bothering. Do you play often? What's the attitude to it in your playgroup?

Nothing more annoying than playing against some lazy cunt who can't be fucked to customize his insanely overpriced models.

>Why do you even play Warhammer if you don't paint? It's not exactly a good or balanced strategy game?

If painting is your justification for 40k why not go with canvas? way cheaper per cm3.

CONVERSIONS!
The one thing GW does better than all competitors, everyone else has monopose metal garbage, shitty unworkable restic material or 0 options in terms of wargear.

In bed wanking soz. I'll take some pics before I head to the gym.

Not the worst first models I've seen. I hope you'll stick around and learn the fine arts of shading and highlighting.

You've got some properly thick white on one of those shoulderpads, you'll benefit from building up to white from some greys and using much thinner layers when you do the rest.

I'd go in and get the ribbed joint parts in, though, as well as actually painting your sergeant's face. Then, clean up where your painting of the tubes to the backpack vents has spilled over onto the green.

>I mean, you're not going to, so I don't know why I'm bothering. Do you play often? What's the attitude to it in your playgroup?

I play twice monthly, sure there's Boos for grey minis, but an equal amount of Ooh's for the latest doof-wagon, bandit technical or custom buggy

How do you guys get over a hobby burn out? Painting at the moment feels like there's an anvil above my head rather than the enjoyable experience it used to be. I traded for an empire army, about 1000pts and after spraying them all I'm sick of the sight of them and want to paint a Lord of Plagues.

>I'm sick of the sight of them and want to paint a Lord of Plagues.
Then do that.

Do a unit at a time, hell do a colour at a time if that's your pace.

Does anyone know some cute color schemes for Cadians?

I think I want to paint mine purple, but I'm not sure on the secondary color. Gray fits, but it's kind of boring. Yellow and orange can look interesting, but they clash too much. Khaki might be okay, but it might be too close to the skin tones.

I would but I have a habit of swapping armies, eg I have Tau and SM and I used to have Skitarii, Guard and Grey Knights.

Does anyone else do this?

Aye aye, anons!
Will be heading to my local GW anyway, so there'll be competent people on hand if I need assistance.

Also, a thought. Could you use the gemstone paints for marine eyes? Part of me thinks it'd work, part of me thinks it'd look dumb.