All characters are musicians touring in a troubled world. You are expert on a kind of instrument (choose one)...

All characters are musicians touring in a troubled world. You are expert on a kind of instrument (choose one). Instruments have pros and cons depending on their type

>Stand-alone (banjo, shamisen, flute)
+melee weapon

>Complex
+extra dice when playing with a band
-need batteries/gig must be planned around town's power source (synth, bass, theremin) or is awkward to carry (church organ, drum set)

>Small (harmonica, triangle, tambourine)
+is small and easy to carry around without encumbering
-dice penalty when playing on your own (no band)

When playing a song, you roll 1d6 + 1d6 if you're expert on the given instrument. Each success (5-6 is a success, 4 is a success at a cost) gives you an Advantage

When playing on a band, each musician rolls and takes his highest die. Each failure cancels a success (because having bad musicians can hamper your gig).

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/HWo3kPp8IJo?t=3m2s
youtube.com/watch?v=9Pxi4FN6nUQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ypuaJLHK_LQ
youtube.com/watch?v=RWd610fPVD8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

For each advancement you get, you can:
-Say how a person on the audience feels. Even after the concert, if that person was present on it
-Declare that a general feeling/idea has spread among the townsfolk
-Restore the band's HP
-Perform a minor magical act (healing, blessing, hex, win the attention of a nearby force)
-Everybody is astounded by your sound, they will remember your band long after you go.

These are some of my ideas for the next game, guys. I'd thought on sharing them here just to get some feedback. I'd like some ideas in which kind of troubles ill the world the players must tour. Maybe like a 60s revolution against an established order? I like the idea of the PCs being prosecuted in certain towns as "not!communists"; while encumbered in others.
Also, of course, battles of bands are a thing, and they must fight for their name/caché/reputation/lives with rival guys constantly.

My main concern now is the overall tone. There are so many alternatives that I don't know which one to pick (crazy 80s+wild west? jazz 20s+ice age?)

Providing you could do it, which kind of setting would you like to tour as a and which genre would you play on it?

also, which instrument do you like to play when you play a bard?

>while encumbered in others
meant "praised".

Are all the characters unlikeable and horrible human beings, just like the cast of Scott PIlgrim?

Because if so then that's a terrible idea for a campaign.

user you're so rude! How I could once thought about telling you to be my husbando?

It's been done

I-I'm afraid to look that game in google user.

It's basically David Bowie: The RPG

Bagpipes.

Hurdy Gurdy, hands down.

youtu.be/HWo3kPp8IJo?t=3m2s

It's the premier pre-industrial caterwauling device.

*ffwd to 3:02 to hear him sin and play, it's some dank medieval ballad.

Eh.

Knives is a high schooler, Wallace Wells gives advice and let's Pilgrim crash, and Kim is a bitter and jaded observer aware Pilgrim's a horrible person.

I'll give you the rest, though.

You're a classic guy

This is awesome. Medieval synthetisers. Interesting that it shares with many ancient instruments that it produces a Drone monotone as a feat/bug, just like bagpipes, berimbaus, shamisens, etc.

>not playing a DJ bard
youtube.com/watch?v=9Pxi4FN6nUQ

>not carrying a box of vynils across mountains, deserts and jungles, like a the treasures of a lifetime; where analogic devices like vynils and ceramic rolls are the only known recordable devices
>not getting into isolated towns and dungeons in the search of maybe a single legendary record
>not getting some crazy unstable gear in order to record the songs of scattered tribes into a molded plastic to immortalize it and carry it with you
>Not using real life songs as props to convey it
>Wars are warred for recovering a rock and roll single
>The costs of recording makes each vynil unque, most of them contain secret messages to be carried beyond kingdoms; maybe secret confessions or even spells; historic records or love letters coded into gospel, country and blues

>not using cassetes instead

Correct choice.

You realize that magnetic memory of the cassettes degrades in less than 20-30 years?

youtube.com/watch?v=ypuaJLHK_LQ

That's cause the movie cut almost all character development for everyone.
The comics manage to make a few more of them into decent-ish people as opposed to horrible ones.

I didnt know about it. I'm learning on wikipedia about ancient recordings, and old gramophone records were made of shellac, which is made from insects (so good news, the setting doesn't need no petrol refineries, and killing hordes of lvl 1 bugs has a real use in this world besides leveling up at the start)

>tfw beattapes are the main music of the land. This is full magical realm

youtube.com/watch?v=RWd610fPVD8

but, we can obviate this for playing reasons.

stylophone