mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous thread:
Let's talk about the most fun class in the game, /5eg/.

More from this homebrew. Not probably enough to "fix" sorcerers, I just wanted them to be different from Wizards. I dunno.

Changelog:
>Sorcerous motes changed to Spell motes
>Ent mon. transformation nerfed
>Eldritch monstrosity nerfed
>Irrevokable Effect retooled to still be useful but not insane
>Beholder transformation level requirements raised.

What's the best level for a one-off?

5th level. Plenty of power and resources where they won't run bone-dry immediately, but not enough that it should slow down things much.

If Mystra blessed or made a magical item for one of her Chosen, what would that item be like and what would it do?

Depends.

If the players are relatively new, try something around level 3 and 4.
If players are a bit beyond that, 5 to 10 where they're stronger and have more options.
Then beyond that, 11-13 ish might be good for experienced players who don't get to play complex characters a lot, but I wouldn't suggest it for new players with all the paperwork and ability confusion.

From level 14 onwards, especially 17-20, it'll start to feel rather silly with high powers, but you can do that if you want. It's more of a novelty than anything, I feel.

Staff of Power? Staff of the Magi? Robes of the Archmagi?

A lengthy roster of every cute wizard in the setting, with the uncanny ability to allow the wielder to telepathically communicate with any wizard on the list at will

I don't think this class is very coherent.

Depends on the campaign in terms of power, if the DM is 'Lots of +3 weapons everywhere!' or if they're 'Okay, if it's a powerful weapon you might be lucky to see a +1, but the focus is on other effects'.

Probably some magic-enhancing helm or something.

I need help on making a Barbarian with an Entertainer/Actor background work

Responded here (to old version, but most of it still applies I think)

I did this once before.

Half-orc Strongman who dressed up in magician robes and insisted they could do magic.
I cast fist.

Most of it applies, yes. I will answer in that thread -->

Screenwriter/actor whose script got rejected one time too many

Isn't there a board for pro wrestling, m8?

Am I right in saying you can choose a longbow as your conduit weapon, and hit people with Burning Hands or other close range spells at a distance?

I had considered those, but I'd like to make something unique, related to Mystra and the party's wizard. If that helps, she's a diviner with 1 level of Knowledge cleric.
I'm a very... generous DM, to be sure. As long as the items are interesting.
kek. Actually would be cool, if somewhat impractical for me.

Practical uses for speak with plants?

A trees sense of time is fundamentally different, a bush doesn't know what an orc is, that grass probably fears deer more than dragons.

Yes, that was one of the things I deliberately didn't disallow. I love arcane archers.

Also, the charged spell doesn't appear to have to be damaging, or a savant spell, or have a casting time of one action, so you could potentially shoot healing arrows? Simulacrum-ing arrows? Time-stopping arrows?

Well, I haven't patched out all the silly things out yet, and I am not an expert of 5e specifically, although I am a game designer.

Forgot those keywords. Probably going to restrict it either to damaging spells, spells that have a numeric component (such as dice-rolling) or those that have casting time of one action.

But awesome ideas nonetheless, I must admit.

>although I am a game designer.

fuckin KEK

>Well, I haven't patched out all the silly things out yet, and I am not an expert of 5e specifically, although I am a game designer.

Share with the class...which games have you designed?

>I am a game designer

Yup, and I'm a videogame company because I made a pokemon hack and know how to use RPG maker.

Is the person who made this here? I thought that you allowed this one to gain proficiency in light armor, as well?

Another thing, the action economy isn't clear. Do you intend:

As an action, make a weapon attack and cast a spell if it hits.

Or:

Cast a spell (usually an action), then make a weapon attack (presumably on a subsequent turn), add the spell effect then the spell ends,

Or:

Cast a spell (usually an action), then make a weapon attack (presumably on a subsequent turn), add the spell effect, and keep adding it on subsequent attacks as long as you have spell motes to burn.

How do you guys do the economy in your world? Do you jut follow the book or go full spread sheet that fluctuates in prices depending on events brought by outside forces or your own PC's?

Allright. Excuse me that my first TRPG's release is currently only lacking final touches and art, which I will get in a month or two's time, depending on my budget.

Classic mistake, forgot that you can't claim anything about yourself on Veeky Forums.

Gotta clarify that, yeah.

The idea is that you cast a spell targeting the conduit (using an action, unless you use metamagic to make it a bonus action), and then, every time an attack with that weapon hits, you add the spell's effect to the attack. Then, on each subsequent turn, you burn motes as upkeep to keep the weapon charged.

>> Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:

pretty good class. Needs half caster progression for Teleportation Circle, Scrying, Animate Objects, Raise Dead and the ability to craft Golem

Follow the book unless something extreme happens, like war or the PCs dumping a ridiculous amount of money (>500,000 gp) into the economy. Then multiply all prices by 10.

I do spreadsheet if it is at one hub city that matters. It helps me out to practice the mathematics for University.

>you can't claim anything about yourself on Veeky Forums.
You're posting as Anonymous on an anonymous image board. Making any sort of self-aggrandising claim is pointless vanity.

t. man with 12 inch cock.

If the spell effect requires an attack roll, do they have to make that as well, or does the weapon attack count?

Well yeah, I didn't even think about that remark. Though, being a game designer is nothing to really bark about, because Digital Homicide would be counted as a game designer, and those who made FATAL are considered game designers.

The spell's effect is put on top of the attack roll, meaning they don't need to make a separate roll for that. Probably need to add something that the spell attack roll (if any) automatically succeeds.

So, for making a skill monkey, should I go Thief Rogue or Lore Bard?

Got a team of savage brutes, and I need a Charisma skill monkey, with actual social abilities. Highest of the 3 has 9, lowest has 7, so we kinda need someone who doesn't smell like death and decay, and considers personal hygiene "sorcery".

>Buddy's running a campaign at level 3 to start
>Make a 2 Barbarian/1 Rogue Lizardfolk
>Trying to think of paths to go down

So far considering I have 41 fucking health at level 3 I'll probably end up going down Totem Warrior: Bear for tank potential, but after that at Barbarian 3, would it be better to focus on getting Rogue to 3 for Assassinate or just keep it at two for Cunning Actions?

They're both great, just depends if you want spells or not. Rogue is really good reliable damage with allies in the front line. Bard gets more customisation through learning spells as you level.

I'm an expert of 5e.

Feels like trash, posting on /5eg/ nonstop shitposting and learning literally every single thing you can do and how all the rules work.

All good things come with a price, much like how a wizard comes out of wizard school with d6 HP.

I have crippling depression.webm

Well, I am changing it constantly, but now I'm trying to shift the conversation to /gdg/, where it actually belongs.

ASIs, motherfucker. Do you seek them?

Assassinate is hardly a big deal at all, especially when its main feature is granting advantage and you can self-grant advantage.

Normally you should aim for barbarian5/rogue15, aiming for a level in one of the classes and five levels in the other class first. Barbarian gets extra attack at 5 which is a notable powerspike, rogue gets uncanny dodge at 5 which is a defence abilitything. And 3d6 sneak attack, of course.

Cunning action isn't bad though, so if you feel you really need it you could put a level there, but you do delaly damage options by doing that. Just don't expect assassin to give you a lot of crits - RAW, it hardly ever does.

There's two principal routes to take, either a barbarian that left his tribe and wound work as an actor/entertainer in a city, or had such a role within a barbarian tribe. The former can be an actor as a strongman and a brute who perhaps had enough intuition and charisma to find himself in popular speaking roles.

For the latter, invent a barbarian form of entertainment. Dancing, drums and fire breathing are all straightforward enough. Different forms of ritual performance and plays are possible as well, likely with heavy use of masks. Maybe take a stylistic cue from kabuki theater.

Also with the latter, it might find it's way into the city by word of mouth from visitors to the tribe and pick up popularity that way, leading to your barbarian heading to the city to provide the authentic experience. You can invent all sorts of complications here.

What are the penalties for being small size class?

Can't use Heavy weapons I would assume

Can't use most heavy weapons for one

Disadvantage on using heavy weapons

Often you have -5ft speed but not always, depends on race

You struggle to grapple really large things

Sucking at being a barbarian, since no heavy weapons.

I'm looking at playing a sort of quick and dirty melee fighter for my next character. Thinking about Swashbuckler, Battlemaster, or multiclassing the two.

I like the multiclass, because there are things I want from the first 3 Rogue levels (expertise, cunning action and Swashbuckler features). I'm looking at taking first level Rogue, then 5 in Fighter before back to Rogue.
Is it worth multiclassing like this or should I just stick to a single class?

Oh, and large creatures can move through your space like it was difficult terrain.

>sucking at being a barbarian
You do realize the best barbarian weapons until level 4 are shortswords?
From then on, you reach level 5 and the optimal route is to multicalss into rogue which doesn't use heavy weapons.

>From then on, you reach level 5 and the optimal route is to multicalss into rogue

How

Why

> You do realize the best barbarian weapons until level 4 are shortswords?
> From then on, you reach level 5 and the optimal route is to multicalss into rogue which doesn't use heavy weapons.
Nigger, you what.

Mechanically, it's not bad. It owes well to a shieldmaster rapier+shield style of build, and 5 or 11 levels of fighter gives extra attacks which work well with rogue. Or, alternatively, using a hand crossbow and crossbow mastery, or just a longbow I suppose. It's pretty good for ranged fighting given you get that extra attack for extra sneak attack chance and a fighting style for +2 to hit on ranged attacks.

I don't doubt you but elaborate on the shortsword claim

Paladin advice?

We're continuing a campaign at level 8 and I shelved my monk, having him NPC as the head of the Adventurer's Guild we established.

Definitely wanna run Oath of Vengeance, not sure about multiclassing/feats over stat allocation/weaponry, etc. Human Variant, by the way.

He's not wrong.

Well, okay I wouldn't call it an 'optimal route' but rather a sidegrade route. A regular barbarian can go PAM and all of that and aim for locking enemies down away from the casters.
However, barbarogue is definitely viable, without a doubt.

You get rage damage to your bonus attack, you can split your attack into two attacks for getting two targets and you can use dexterity if you're a dex barbarian.
You'd normally do 2d6+MOD damage, which is identical to a maul. The only issue is on the turn you rage you might only do 1d6+MOD damage, but eh, who cares.

>shieldmaster rapier+shield
This is what I was thinking of.
Go variant human and take Shield Mastery to knock people around with expertise in athletics, plus maneuvers and swashbuckler mobility to just be a pest in combat.

Well, that's good then. Go for it, it's a good build, though not gamebreaking.

> No GWM
> Wasting bonus action
Really makes you think

Just watched the acquisitions incorporated game, wtf happened to Scott Kurtz?

That assumes you go variant human, as that's the only way to have GWM at levels 1 to 3. At level 4 you could take it instead of +2 dex/str, though.

If you're thinking about going a small race, you definitely won't have GWM and thus shortswords are clearly better, especially considering you'll be likely focused on dex fighting instead of strength.

Even if you're a half-orc, shortswords is better.

The only exception is maybe variant human.

And then, at level 5, you get the split of 'do you want to rely on feats like sentinel and PAM and GWM or do you want to be a barbarogue' because honestly unless you reach level 20 I don't think barbarian is worth it beyond level 5 if you're not picking up feats.

I really hate 5e exhaustion rules, that's why I'm going to roll a Paladin instead.

By the way, nobody ever helps me with my fucking Vengeance Paladin builds in these threads. Does no one here play Paladin or something?

>Vengeance Paladin builds
Go variant human. Start with PAM, max strength and pick up Sentinel at some point. Enjoy your 3 attacks per round for extra opportunities to smite.

How is Harshnag's attack bonus calculated?

He has a +1 axe, a +6 Strength bonus and (as far as I can tell from his other scores) a +3 proficiency bonus, but his attack bonus is listed as +11.

With the rage dmg on the 2nd attack and assuming dual wielding feat it works out.

>waste b.a.
What's the alternative use of it ?

It's shit after 5 though.

I thought it was bullshut too at first

I wasn't sure if it was worth it, considering my DM doesn't using the Marking rules. Is it really worth it to skimp on CHA for just the one extra opportunity attack?

I figure that GWF/GWM would be pretty good on its own (DM will allow me to reroll smites for GWM).

Is it really just a choice of PAM for more horde utility or GWM for more spiking on big guys (for you)?

>vegeance paladin

Variant human PAM. Up strength to 20. From there on, decide between sentinel (if not using quarterstaff) or.. I don't know, charisma.
alternatively
Variant human PAM. Up charisma to 20. Quarterstaff+shield, duelling fighting style probably. Somewhere along the line, take 6 levels of lore bard or 3 levels of tomewarlock, preferrably after extra attack and/or improved divine smite.

>DM will allow me to reroll smites for GWM
Then grab a Maul and go to town, you're a real justice man now.
The logic behind PAM is the bonus action attack giving you an extra chance to blow your smite on a crit. I'm sure user has run the numbers on how it comes ahead.

Don't forget the Tavern Brawler-Longbow clubber.

Yeah, I realize that PAM is definitely good. We've got a good amount of horde clear in our party though and considering the DM doesn't use Marking rules but does allow me to reroll Smites with GWM, I figured I'd just go to town with a maul and try to get some crazy spiking on boss types.

Anyone have a reason for a Revenant Oath of Conquest Paladin to die? Because so far the story I've got is that he was a Paladin so completely devoted to his king's ideals of subjugating and imposing civilisation on other cultures, that when he eventually fell on the battlefield, he didn't die, he faltered for a single moment, then his spirit tore itself out of his body, and kept charging towards the enemy. I'm so far thinking that he'll stop fighting when the entire world is under his kingdom's control, but I want to consider other, more realistic options as well, any ideas?

GWF is pretty damn strong if you can reroll smites.

RAI GWF does not apply. RAW it does.

Your DM would be good to not allow it, but.. Eh, whatever they want.

Paladin should not take GWM. PAM is more important for them.
GWM is okay if they've already got PAM, but once you hit level 11 GWM becomes trash.

When the King gives him his rest.

Yeah, go for it then. Paladin is just a strong class all around, so it's hard to fuck it up.
Not sure if GWM is worth it though, while the -5 +10 damage is appealing, you'll want to make sure your attacks hit so you can smite.

>GWM is okay if they've already got PAM, but once you hit level 11 GWM becomes trash.
I'm starting with a +10 chance to hit (+2 maul, +5 str, +3 prof), and we also have a cleric and a bard. Basically, I'll have Bless going quite a bit, Inspiration die from the Bard, and other ways to garner a lot of advantage on chance to hit. I wouldn't be considering GWM if not for that, but I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to use it quite a bit.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, Vow of Enmity for boss types which will be very nice for a lot of spike damage using GWM (with a smite on both attacks).

I like that, though his Oath extends further than just his king, he is the king's tool for as long as the king is acting in the best interests of the kingdom, currently the king is the last one's 6 year old son, who is wielding the Paladin as a weapon and waging a campaign of hatred against the Elves after seeing his father be brutally murdered by elven magic in the middle of his own throne room, then swearing a blood pact with the paladin on top of his father's corpse. It's really fucked up and I like it.

Only it's 500 years later, the royal line has been deliberately destroyed, the Parliamentarians sealed the undying knight in a leaden casket, and he's just been let out. By the PCs, of course, because if you have the right/wrong sort of PCs there is literally nothing a GM can do to discourage them from opening a fancy looking box.

>starting with a +2 maul
.. What
If you have bless up a lot, GWM might actually be somewhat viable if your DM doesn't balance by adding AC to fucking everything.

That said, GWM+PAM would still be better if it were a +2 polearm, but that'd sacrifice a +2 strength or something which would be too much of a shame, so probably not.

Oh, though, if it were a +2 polearm, that means it's dealing +2 damage to every attack which favours PAM again instead of GWM.

... So I still think PAM is better, but GWM isn't exactly so bad in comparison now.

I really quite like that, actually. Though he does have a contract from hell with a 6 year old that forces him to try to the best of his abilities to kill all elves.

The DM throws out a lot of magical items but he always scales up the difficulty as a consequence. We've had a lot of fun so far using this archetype for the campaign. It makes us feel powerful but it's still been challenging.

Also, if I went GWM+PAM I'd be taking a Charisma hit and I kind of like having that where it is considering it's so beneficial, not just to me but the other melee Fighter. Oh, and I'm planning on picking up Resilience at 12 for Constitution, because having so many important Concentration spells, I feel like having what would basically be an auto-save CON throw would be super good for me. And if I want to make that possible, I can't really sacrifice my Charisma stat for another feat.

I recognize I might not be as great at pure damage as a PAM by taking GWM but I think it'll still prove very beneficial and will still allow me to be more proficient in saving throws/offer more utility both in and out of combat to my party.

If you've odd-numbered constitution, it wouldn't be so bad to get those con saves. Otherwise, I'd go for charisma since that's +1 to con saves and everybody else and everything else.

But, yeah, like said - GWM is better the higher your hit chance, but worse the higher your damage. Once you hit level 11, it's kinda bad considering you get an additional +1d8 damage, so if you expect to reach level 11 I wouldn't recommend GWM at all. The more damage your attacks do, the worse it is to use GWM as the -5 to hit effectively reduces the effective value of your bonus damage.

Before level 11 it'll have times it might be better or otherwise might be a bit worse than PAM depending on bless/advantage/etc but it's not bad if you'd prefer it to PAM.

Definitely don't need both unless you're a PAM fighter - I'd suggest PAM fighters get GWM as well, or at least sentinel.

You could use the time skip to make him into more of a noble figure. Maybe the previous king didn't do anything especially evil beyond the necessities of being a monarch (i.e. catering to his noble power-base and ignoring everyone else) and the last of the royal line is a Joffrey who hired the PCs to wake him up.

Again, that's not necessarily the command he gave, but most PCs will open a mysterious box. In fact, the command could have been "use this key I'm giving you and get this book from this ruin, everything else you find is yours". He can claim to be a descendent of an old family that used to rule those lands (true) and that his retainers have spent years researching the location of the ruin (true, but omits the part where they stole the key from Parliament's vaults. mention the heist when setting the scene, but no one remembers what was stolen).

In any case, possibly the knight didn't originally give a shit about elves one way or the other, but Vows are Vows, time to get to genociding.

is proficiency bonus class level based or character level based?

Character.

Character level.

Well no youre not because you don't have a business license, nor the rights to the IP. user did however design part of a game, so they are e a game designer. Same goes with being an artist.

My constitution is 15 so I'd really see a benefit from Resilience (CON). I also rolled 17 STR and 17 CHA additionally, which I pushed up to 18 with my Human Variant stats. At level 8, I can rock 20 CHA and 20 STR as is if I only take the level 1 feat, so I think I've probably got it decently optimized right now. +3 CON and Proficiency in saves seems like the best way to go at 12.

If I wanted to just settle for 18 Charisma I could, and pick up PAM instead to complement the GWM. I'm just not sure if it's worth it instead of just running a Maul and sitting at 20 Charisma for more group utility.

Is Enchantment Wizard a good replacement for awakened mystic?

I want to be a mind controller type of character, but I'm not sure whether my DM will allow mystic UA.

Running a 5e game. The monk is very fond of the drink. Thinking of giving him a drunken fist combat mode. Should I make it straight benefits with detrimental effects after it wears off or make it a temporary archtype switch

While most frost giants are CR 8, Harshnag is CR 9, so his proficiency bonus is +4. Which means all of his saves, skills and attacks that have his prof bonus are 1 point above what it says in the Monter Manual.

Give him haste effect for 2-3 round or something.

The fact that the monk cannot get poisoned at all means that they can't get drunk.
Drunken Master as a monk archetype is impossible because of this.

If you're already locked into GWM then it's probably not worth making a fuss over, but I'm going to go make a graph of GWM versus PAM damage at levels 5 and 11 because .. There are things that need doing.

I can tell you though that if you were an oathbreaker their overpowered level 7 ability means they should always go PAM and not bother with GWM.

.. I should add that. So, a line for GWM paladin, a line for GWM+PAM paladin, a line for all of those at either 16, 18 or 20 strength values.. A line for PAM paladin, a line for oathbreaker paladin..

This is going to be a lot, but I was going to make this sooner or later anyway.

Sounds good. I think i'll work something like that into it, if the DM is alright with me doing some major historical worldbuilding.

Could do some kind of very very strong alcohol that only Drunken Fist monk orders make, which they carry around and all have the knowledge of how to make.

Drinking=/=drunk, user.