Board Games General /bgg/ - Conspicuous over-consuption edition

Time for a new /bgg/ thread!

Link to old thread: Pastebin:
pastebin.com/NA2W929q

(Any suggestions for additions to the pastebin?)

When it comes to a board game collection - how much is to much? (I.e. what is your ideal sized collection? Or is more a matter of "As soon as I buy that warehouse, I'll expand my collection so more." )

Also - anything new you're looking to add to your collection?

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/1538673930/age-of-towers
youtube.com/watch?v=aZcSCT34H84
youtube.com/watch?v=j4wpXSDRXk4
freewebarcade.com/game/zombie-crusade/
wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Big_Money
kickstarter.com/projects/gonab/tao-long/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Repost
The guy who asked about Mall of Horror here, I looked around a bit about the new version of the game, City of Horror, and most of the reviews are positive, and almost everyone agree that its overall better than MoH.

Anyone has any experience with the game?
Would you recommend?
Anything similar to this game that does it better?

Like I mentioned before, me and my group are big fans of Cutthroat Caverns, so the whole backstabby - take that genre works for us.

> The guy who asked about Mall of Horror here, I looked around a bit about the new version of the game, City of Horror, and most of the reviews are positive, and almost everyone agree that its overall better than MoH.

I haven't played Mall of Horror or City of Horror so I can't give you direct feedback on that. Is there anything in particular you're looking for in a 'Zombie' game? Co-op? Horror? Possible betrayal?

Stalin was never a general

True, but it makes for a horribly fantastic pun.

Well, sort of
>Generalissimus of the Soviet Union (Russian: Гeнepaлиccимyc Coвeтcкoгo Coюзa; Generalissimus Sovétskogo Soyuza) was a proposed military rank created on 27 June 1945, following the tradition of the Imperial Russian Army. It was granted to Joseph Stalin following World War II; however, Stalin refused to officially approve the rank. It would have been the highest military rank in the Soviet Union.

You might look at pic related - It fixes some of the complaints of the first game and offers a nice mix of teamwork and tension.

Doh - meant to use this pic! If you only pick up one of the Dead of Winter series - go for The Long Night.

Like I wrote in my original post, My group is really big into the whole betrayal thing.
Our most top played games are Cutthroat Caverns, Resistance: Avalon & Secret Hitler.
Big into backstabbing, forming and breaking alliances and most importantly keeping stuff relatively simple.
I thought about DoW, I never got to play it and something about it seems a bit to slow for me, and the dice rolls kinda kill it.
I don't mind luck in games like this as long as I can play around it, rolling an insta death on a die just feels forced for me.

Reposting my question about War of the Ring from the previous thread.

Are the expansions worth getting?
Anything worth modding except sleeving the cards (I've seen people getting red/blue colored fighting dice and adding colored strips to the figures).

I can't obviously guarantee you'll like the Dead of Winter game, but my group has had some fun with it. As for the dice of death mechanic, it can add some entertaining tension to the game. (Like the time early game where one of my characters was bitten on the way back to the base. I of course decided I'd roll for it and killed all 3 of my characters before the next player sacrificed one of his own to stop the spread. Doh! Great strategist, lousy dice roller - that's my story and I'm sticking with it.)

Now if you're looking for other games with a betrayal mechanic (that aren't zombie based) - take a look at BSG - BattleStar Galactica (you'll want 2 of the 3 expansions to make the game more balanced) if you want a longer run-time game with lots of wheeling and dealing / betrayal. You might also be interested in 'Dark Moon' which has a notably shorter play time (it was originally called BSG express). The theme of Dark Moon is a bit different now since it's a separate stand alone game now. There's also Mafia de Cuba, and 'The Resistance' that are worth a look too.

Sorry I can't help you (my version of 'War of the Ring' is much much older) - and it seems like you're not getting any usable feedback here. You might have to try Board Game Geek or look at some reviews on Tube to see if anyone has some helpful opinions on the expansions.

I own city of horror and have played mall of horror, they're both similar in terms of negotiation and back stabbing but I honestly prefer mall off horror, its simpler and more aggressive, although watch out for the security office if someone gets a hold of that its hard to come back. Both are great games if your group are into lying and fucking each other over

Thoughts on the game RESISTOR_? Looking for something I can carry with me to work and play on breaks with someone. Is it a good game for a pair of dweebs who study math all day?

Thanks, will do. I just like to poke /bgg/ because they're mostly biased in a way I like (compared to other sites where people are biased in a way I don't)

kickstarter.com/projects/1538673930/age-of-towers

The best board game trailer of all time?

confirmation bias is a thing

Well that was vomit inducing.

youtube.com/watch?v=aZcSCT34H84
eye bleach for that unoriginal cancerous parody of a parody
also, original parody, feat. manly asscrack
youtube.com/watch?v=j4wpXSDRXk4

Badly executed parody is bad. Someone should be executed for that.

Here you go user - and now you don't even have to spend any money...

freewebarcade.com/game/zombie-crusade/

I've only played Risk with a group of friends, but we've gotten slightly bored of it and would like to buy another board game similar to it. Any suggestions? I'm pretty open to anything, but in general, they're not big fans of sci-fi/fantasy themes, though it doesn't matter much if the game is good.

Already own Resistance - Avalon.
I was contemplating BSG for a while now, but me and my friends wont find the appeal in the sci-fi theme, but I know its been hailed as a great game, dunno whats holding me back from buying it.

CoH just seems so simple, no text no twists, zombies are coming - you need to survive, good luck.

Kemet is the answer.

The concept sounds perfect, I'll look into it

CoH is a political game. It's not cooperative, there aren't hidden traitors, it's primarily just the ability to bargain with and predict the other players. It's good, but I don't think it's similar enough to compare with DoW or BSG.

+1

Thanks, man, I just ordered it. If you got any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them

What do you folks think of Lords of Waterdeep?

How many people you play with?

At most we're 8, but we can go down to 4 depending on how many meet up.

8's tough, very few games in the risk-esque area control genre go that high, and I can't think of any that do it really well. Better off moving to more social games with that many, I'd recommend trying out Mascarade, Mafia de Cuba, any of the One Night Werewolf/Vampire/Revolution series (personal preference for revolution), Captain Sonar, or virtually any other party game.

For other kemet/risk alternatives, Mare Nostrum is fantastic at 3-5, or 2-6 with the Atlas expansion. Rex: Final Days of an Empire is incredible, but only at its best with exactly six.

Bland but pretty colored cube collector.

We're very rarely 8, in almost every case we're 5-6, so I should have been a bit more specific. Thanks anyway, I'll take a peek at those

Never played a deck builder before and now I'm absolutely addicted to Dominion.

Any strategy tips or combos?
Which expansion should I get?

wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Big_Money

Start with this and then read other articles.

i liked cluedo as a kid, are there any more complex board games which feels like it? i'd prefer a game where you can still move about like in cluedo

There are several 1vX player hidden movement games that might scratch that itch, the most well known being Fury of Dracula, Specter Ops, and Letters From Whitechapel, all of which feature one player moving invisibly around the board whole the other players use deduction, elimination, and prediction to attempt to locate and catch them.

If you're more interedted in the mystery theme, there's always the cooperative Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective, which doesn't ACTUALLY feature moving pieces on the board, or the cyberpunk mystery game Android, which. . . Doesn't really feature much in the way of interesting deduction. But neither does cluedo.

Yeah Letters from Whitechapel is a good game, isn't quite a challenge for me when I play due to people around me being Jersey Shore wannabe's.

I was expecting ukuleles and clapping.

Don't get too heavily into it. You'll binge on a bunch of games, realise it's a shiny turd and go look for something better.

Magic the Gathering has this thing called Cubes which many consider superior.

You're right. This looks much more fun than Dominion.

this hurts to look at fuckkkkkk

Don't expand it, it's kinda board gaming's worst kept secret that it's the shittiest deckbuilder. You'll find people to play it with and enjoy it well enough, but if you expand it, you'll end up feeling like that guy with 10 versions of Munchkin.

For a social deduction spin on it, try Deception: Murder in Hong Kong. There isn't movement, but there's a similar theme and a process of elimination to find the murder weapon and evidence. The killer, though, is somebody at the table, which adds a fun twist.

Good suggestion, can't believe I spaced that one.

That is fucking righteous, M:tG is shit.

Get Tanto Cuore instead.

>absolutelydisgusting.jpg

get Star Relms

kickstarter.com/projects/gonab/tao-long/

Pretty good looking abstract. What do you guys think?

You need more Epic in your lives.

I would definitely say Star Realms is the best beginner's deckbuilder. Simple randomized card availability is the main thing it has going for it - a newbie will always have some idea of what's the best thing available for purchase right now, just based on the numbers.

Is Eclipse as good as it seems? I mean its been in the top 20 best bgg games for years now and higher than TI3

Mystery Express, my dude

Mystery of the Abbey is also an acceptable substitute

I don't like it that much. Doesn't do anything significantly better than TI3 and does lots of things worse.

Eclipse is a solid 'basic' Space 4x game. It typically plays very much as a Euro-style game in the early stages (turns 1 - 7) and then becomes a war game (everyone makes a grab for high value systems) on the last couple of turns. Eclipse has some good things going for it in that it's fairly easy to teach for a 4x game, and it's a lot of fun designing your own ship load outs. On the con side of things: Techs are drawn randomly (which can screw you pretty hard in spite of having a good strategy), random aliens in the early game can also hamper a player randomly. There's little value to engaging in alliances using the game mechanics. One can simply come to an agreement without wasting time exchanging ambassadors (thus freeing up a slot for great victory points tokens by winning space battles). Also keep in mind that while it's worth picking up Rise of the Ancients and Shadows of the Rift for additional races, I would NOT recommend trying to play with more than 6 players at once. Otherwise the game just drags out to much / to much down time between each player's turn unless everyone is experienced and really concentrating.

Eclipse is 'OK' but not fantastic, and as STEEV correctly pointed out, it is NOT 'TI3-lite' as some people claim. You might look at 'Exodus' with the 'Edge of Extinction' expansion if you want a more rounded 'Space 4x' game.

Has anyone played Triumph and Tragedy? Pls respond.

Otherwise, what are some good war games with multiple win conditions? E.g. Winning by tech, economy (whether by victory points or not) ect

I've played TI3. Too long, too shallow. I prefer diceless combat if possible. Or at least combat where dice risk can be mitigated.

While not a war game, does Scythe scratch the fighting itch? Does combat feel like a viable strat? Or is it more of a reactive tactical throwaway?

>does Scythe scratch the fighting itch?
The most emphatic "NO" possible.

Anyone ever play Empires at Sea?

Not at all? It has an interesting combat system, at least. Do you like Scythe?

How about Rex? Is that a good game. It has pretty middling reviews. Or is that just butthurt dunefags?

What makes dominion so bad?

Deck building in general is a shallow genre (which is why they sell so many expansions, so people feel like it's staying fresh) and dominion has even less interaction than most of them.

>Do you like Scythe?
The game includes an achievement sheet. The combat is such a huge waste of resources in nearly every situation that there are achievements for starting more than two fights in the game.

*that there are achievements for starting more than two fights in the game and still winning.

I've only recently looked into forbidden desert and it looks pretty great, thinking it'll be included in my next order.... just wondering what all you fa/tg/uys think bout it?
something else that does what it does better?
is it a solid choice for my cart?

What i like about it/what i'd look for in a substitute:
not complex, yet has depth and hard decisions
strict co-op with minimal QBing, yet not fully independent of each other; you need help from the team and must work together
character powers, everyone is special
something difficult but beatable

anything you can say about this game or suggestions as to what else is out there are greatly appreciated!

It's a solid basic co-op game. I've got Forbidden Island (which is nice when you want a lite gaming experience or are starting out with kids / new gamers) and Forbidden Desert for a more challenging co-op experience. If you want hard mode co-op, then check out the Robinson Crusoe game & expansion.

it's pretty light but pretty fun. some people say to skip it and just get pandemic but i hate pandemic plus its like half the price of pandemic.
no matter what anyone tells you, quarterbacking is more about the group than the game

A lot of it is butthutrt dunefags complaining about the theme or old nostalgic grognards that like the old skool version. Id' say it's way more plished now, and some guys over at BGG DIY rethemed Rex as Dune, because they like the system better.

Easier difficulty settings are too easy, had to work up to heroic top start before feeling like it was a challenge. Newcomers and kids like it a lot, and I'm always happy to play it, It's always fun, and I'll keep my mouth shut when I see a suboptimal decision being made to not ruin anyone's fun.
Also it's good for teaching kids, looking back and figuring by yourself why you got curbstomped is the only way to git gud. I always ask them what they think they could/should have done.

While it retains dice combat, I'd strongly recommend Mare Nostrum. I also strongly dislike dice combat, but find the system present there entirely tolerable. And it does multiple win conditions incredibly well.

Rex is REALLY good, and has one of the best combat mechanics in any game for generating loads of tension without any random elements at all. But the game's excellent race asymmetry also means that it doesn't function nearly as well when any of those pieces are missing. Play with 6.

It's a solid game, I recommend it as well.

Anyone played Patron card game? How is it? Give me a bit more details and experiences please, considering taking it

sorry, meant Patronize

it's not even a deckbuilder you fartsniffer

the art is good, the game is a bit complex for an abstract. I can imagine that most of the time the game will have too much futzing around on your side of the board, trying to figure out how to approach your opponent. Once you're actually up next to your opponent it's probably pretty obvious how to inflict the most damage

Overall gameplay looks awful

hate tokens
hate any small flat piece
bad design full stop

I'll look into it.

Is Rex better than Dune or exactly the same?

Are there any 6 player games you would recommend over it? Or is it a unique experience?

How much variety is there for 2 players in a base box of android netrunner?

citadels

Would love to play Rex if it had Dune iconography. Also would love to play Kemet:Dune edition. withgiger art etc etc

Rex is not-Dune, because the Herbert estate won't give up the license; same game, FFG theme put on top of it.

Check out Space Hulk: Death Angel if it isn't too pricey yet. It's a solid and fun co-op game I play it alone because none of my friends will play with me ;_;

>I'll keep my mouth shut when I see a suboptimal decision being made to not ruin anyone's fun
So much this. Why is it so fucking hard for people to understand that winning isn't the point?

Pretty good, there's the default 3 Runner and 4 Corp decks even before you start deckbuilding.

It doesn't do anything with the deckbuilder mechanic. It was the first every in this genre, so that's to be expected, but you can't go around forgiving old failures on account of effort.

Other deckbuilders have you doing something with the cards you buy, like attacking other players, healing yourself, creating combos, etc. These are the parts that make them good games.

Dominion just has you literally buy, I shit you not, "Victory Cards". If you buy enough victory, you're victorious. That's it. That's the game.

imo SH:DA is best solo by far. The decisions are complex and interesting, for sure, but they're also simplistic, and leave little to the individual unit of Marines to decide. Thus, they are more exciting to control as one large unit. When you play with several people, everyone just wants to get it perfect, because it's a skin-of-your-teeth sort of game, and so you all just math it out together. Or you play it by the book and don't allow tabletalk, which means you just fail immediately as you all scramble around accidentally doing the same thing like three times. We've tried. As weird as it is, I'd honestly call this game with something outrageous like "1-8" on the box something you can really only appreciate with 1.

I will probay get shit for this, but I dont think anyone should own more than 20 games. Find your favorite too 1-2 games in every genre you like and/or groups you play to and just keep the best. Make friends with other people to play other games.

I make foam core inserts for the games I know I am going to keep for the foreseeable future and the rest get sold. Never go over 20 and all my games get played at least once a year.

I'm sure there are people out there who have a group they can regularly schedule game nights without problem. If they're that into it, and can keep it up, I don't see why not.

Thing is, there are incredibly few people who can actively use a library that big.

A fair mentality, but there will always be a few collectors/hoarders that want to have everything and can't find the heart to let games go. Plus if you hoard long enough there's always the chance a game could sell for a good price, though obviously that isn't the main agenda.

Hey I've been meaning to throw this out here for a while: There's a group by me called Toggle Gaming that throws a huge game night every tuesday at a bar (150 plus games, cycling; about 100 gamers). Their shirts all have the logo [tG] on them, any of you guys come from Veeky Forums?

>I will probay get shit for this, but I dont think anyone should own more than 20 games.

The real question is *should you* get shit for making blanket generalizations? The answer is yes. It's as thoughtless as saying "You should only /know/make 1 or 2 recipes in each ethnic food category. I mean it's not like you would want variety or anything. And it's not like you can make all of them all the time ..."

Fuck, I wish I had something like that

>food
That's a pretty poor analogy. You need to eat every day. I play boardgames once a week and that's unusually common.

>not needing your daily fix of boardgames or you get serious withdrawal followed by death

Step it up son.

ya its been pretty sweet. nw suburbs of chicago if you're in that area or google toggle gaming idk how far their reach is

Oh shit this is a lot closer than I thought it would be

No, it's actually a very on target analogy. You can eat the same recipes / types food over and over as long as it meets your basic nutrition needs. What people like is a matter of taste, and how much variety they enjoy is also a matter of taste.

tuesday nights bar called durty nellies 6pm to 3am

Some of you assholes shat all over Santorini in a previous general and now I'm not sure about the glowing reviews for it. Should I get it?

Also anything good for a 4-6 player game? I got Blood Rage, Onitama, Golem Arcana and Red Dragon Inns 1 and 2 so I believe I'm allowed to say I have a type? Challenge is to not suggest 7 Wonders despite how fucking fun it is because I have like three friends who own that game. I dunno, I guess I'm thinking Citadels or King of Tokyo.