Guild Ball Thread

Guild Ball Thread

Who's looking forward to Farmers?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/iA0kN8eGz7s?t=153
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm not a big fan, but I've got some friends who are pretty hyped.

This seems like a fun game and I've heard gud fings about it.
...but otoh I've never seen it mentioned outside of Veeky Forums.

It started in the UK and only recently started in the US. It scratches the Warmachine itch for the tournament heads around Chicago

I'd say it's been going for about a year now in the U.S.. This year it should be going pretty strong. There are tournaments scheduled at almost all of the major cons. Not to mention a steam con U.S. this year.

I'm getting ready for Captain Con and I'm finalizing my 9 man roster for Mason's.

Right now I've got: Honour, Hammer, Wrecker, Brick, Flint, Tower, Mallet, and Minx as the union player.

I tend to prefer hammer to honour. Hammer can switch styles a little easier than honour and that fits me better. During draft I will always bring wrecker (cause he's my only mascot) and flint. After that I will usually take tower for TU, and at least one battery, being either brick or minx. Sometimes I bring both. I'm not a huge fan of mallet but I'll bring him when reach or the push will be useful.

Originally I was going to use granite but due to issues my LGS has been having with distributors being dicks I wasn't able to get one. Also after testing her out I thought she was a little meh. My other options are vHaramony, chisel, and marbles.

vHaramony has some interesting abilities that could be quite useful. The problems I have are her low health and the fact she dictates your activation order for breaking play. Albeit if I'm just using her to soak damage to save someone it only matters that she's in range.

I'm not a big fan of chisel foruch the same reason as vHaramony. She has more health but will hurt herself a lot more quickly. Although I did get some work out of her character play to heal. Beyond that she has some dodges and reach. Her damage track can be good if you stack her but it's a lot of set up and risk.

As for marbles, I don't think he's as bad as the forums say, but wrecker is just so good. He always can do something for no INF.

noice!

I'm interested in the farmers. But I'd like to get through the tournament in three weeks and make a strong showing. So far I'm 0-3 vs Alch user (you know who you are) and 4-2 against my brother's Hunters.

My brother though tends to get frazzled and make poor decisions if things turn on him too soon. While Alch user plays a strong harrass-delay game.

I play Fish by the way, and I'm debating on my roster. I have the currently available fish plus Gutter (and I know that A&G is likely better, but I don't own them yet).

So, what are some good Fish rosters that I could experiment with?

Are you looking for a six man team or a nine man roster?

I would be happy with both. But I'm mostly looking for a nine man roster. Because I know a team is dependent on Matchup.

Hey, I didn't run either Katalyst last game, at least. Kinda hoping hunters get some neat things soon. The AoE game is fun

got a tournament this week. running Shark Corsair Salt Sakana Angel Grayscales Siren Jac and A & G,

Thanks user. But why not Kraken or V Siren? Also since I don't have A&G yet (next purchase) would you suggest Gutter?

My FLGS stocks this and I'm considering getting into it. Like the vibe.

It's a great game and the models are easy builds and paints. At least coming from malifaux. I got into it expecting a companion game and this is quickly becoming the favorite.

Guildball? Oh, you mean that inferior Bloodbowl knockoff?

But the game is nothing like Bloodbowl.

I am not sure about the knock off bit, but GB is the better game of the two.

relax guys,I'm just making some bantz.

Bad user. You know better than to use stale bait.

For a nine man try out:

Shark, Corsair, salt, vSiren, greyscales, sahkana, kraken, jac, and gutter. It favors Corsair a bit but you can still make a solid shark team out it.

I'm ultra hype for Farmers guild. If they turn out as fun as what we've seen I'm switching to them as my main guild over the current fisherman. I just hope I am as good at farmer's, since I've had decent success as fish.

Farmers do look like they will be interesting. I'm not a big fan of their astetics, but I've heard they have a lot of fun mechanics.

On a side note though I've never really looked that closely at bushels card.
>1/4 INF
>Two momentus results and one is 1m on one.
>The other is on four hits with tac four
>I'm open cost 2
To be fair it is a good play but still that only leaves her with one to sprint and one to shoot and she still only brings one INF.

Cabage punt is pretty good though, and 3/8 kick is solid.

Yeah the momentum generation for her sucks, but the INF is an intentional part of the farmers mechanics that they've mentioned so far. Pic related.

I believe I heard Mat or Jaimie mention something about if you ran all reapers and no planters you could end up as low as 7~ INF, idk if that was the number as it's been a while.

Do the harvest markers do anyone by themselves or is it just when someone reaps them? I thought I remember hearing something about them generating INF or something. Maybe it was just that you are essentially getting INF out of them.

Oops forgot to mention that bit since I forget others aren't as invested. My bad

He's from Tater's special rules limited release. He was pretty much a hint of things to come for that faction and only having one icy sponge level hinting at the season 3 change. His character rules are subject to change, but I doubt the harvest marker mechanics are.

Oh neat. Ya I've already got five guilds so I'm a bit hesitant to pick up a sixth. I might pick up the unnamed guild if it's got an interesting control mechanic. Mostly because I like that style and I'm not a fan of the guilds that have that style now. Like I said about farmers though, the astetic just doesn't do it for me. The harvest mechanic definitely seems interesting though.

Bumping with a request for help for a new butchers player.

What do you need help with?

General pointers, must have players, any players to avoid, etc.

In the middle of a class so I might have to post the rest after class. Right now butchers are pretty balanced at the moment. They don't have anyone who's really bad or an auto include. Someone might argue that shank is still an auto include but I think the loss of that max INF hurt him a bit. He's still good but sometimes I'll take other peices. Meathook is probably the closest I would consider to an auto include. She gives tooled up and also has a [-1] def debugging you can't remove. As well as crucial artery for fillet.
As far as bad players, again they're really aren't any. Boar got some much needed love in the changes and is now pretty solid. Keep in mind how you will deliver him and how to keep him unengaged so he can use furious. Truffles is another player people don't like but she can get work done for 1 INF. She's hard to shift with sturdy and tough hide. Shes got a momentous KD on 2. Her biggest down side is she's a bit slow with 1" melee and the fact that princess turns boiler into a monster.

Is there a particular captain or player you wanted advice on?

>Is there a particular captain or player you wanted advice on?

Any Union players stand out as good adds? I already have Minx for my hunters and Decimate for my Masons

Take Harry or minx every time if you can.

Minx is my stand out player (for both butchers and Masons). She brings more to both of those teams than Harry in my opinion because she is an ideal INF battery that supports one of the main strengths of the teams. Because of snared and screeching banshee she can really push the killing aspect of butchers and Masons. She can also generate momentum for nothing. Marked target can help deliver your beater models but keep in mind it's only once per turn and if you really really need it then bonus time it.

I like minx over Harry because Harry doesn't bring as much to the butchers. He's better for someone like alchs where he brings good control conditions (fire and KD), solid momentum generation, and good pushes. Butchers don't really need the momentum generation as much as alchs. The conditions are nice as a setup but I'm already so strapped for INF as it is and he's a very greedy player. The pushes are nice since he has better access to double pushes then most butchers but I don't think it's as important. The 2" is nice though and that can definitely be of worth, but over all I just prefer minx.

A&G gets a special mention because they can do anything. They have a crazy goal threat but I would caution it since after that greede will most likely die and will be essentially out of the game, but if you win off of it who cares.

Whos your favorite player and why?

Late reply but, Kraken for me doesn't have a place, his a very soft push machine, that really isint going to going to help ether captains plan. as for VSiren, relay good. feel free to replace Jac depending on how much you use salt, 1 inch melee sucks a bit but really good play book, if your not using normal Siren and I normally am. gutters great with Corsair I think that's a choice more then a recommendation.

So the last couple GB threads have been a bit negative regarding the Hunters, and I agree with most of the complaints. That said, could I get some solid tips about playing into Fishermen and Alchemists? I'm not bad at the game, but I feel like I am on my back foot playing into my friends Fishermen. 2" reach is such a shot to the nuts, especially when you consider the lack of easy KD and 2" reach (outside the bear and maybe Hearne) I keep getting counter attacked and dodged away from. Kraken is such a massive pain in my ass with his momentus knock down on a single success with a 2" reach. I don't really worry about my Hunter's dying to Fish, but he doesn't try. He'd too busy dodging around and shooting the ball. I just picked up Minx, who I think will help out my overall game. I can trigger my snares and play the control game, but it doesn't seem to be enough.

Jesters for when? also what are the news regarding to the fluff?

Hunters are in a rough spot right now. They just suffer from a lack of options mostly. One option for controlling the game would be to try and kill the ball. If you give the ball to seenha he can threaten a knockdown on anyone who comes in. The only player on the fish team who has a tackle + dodge is jac and its on five hits. While he might have a chance if he charges you can go defensive and that shakes up the odds a bit.

The other option is to use pinned on their main strikers, like shark, and move theron away from whoever has the ball on your team. You can also just try to spam as much snared as you possibly can. Fish aren't the best at generating momentum.

I use to use the pinned game against sharks, then they nerfed Theron's forest and fucked up one of the ways I could control the game. I like the idea of killing the ball with the bear, my only concern is Kraken. I'll give it a shot, but I can't delegate my bear to the back, as he's already fucking up my initiative pool and I'll be damned if I don't get work done with him. I suppose I could try a cagey bear, and force my opponent to come get the bear, which sounds like a fun disposition.

How do I get around their 2" reach and dodge? Getting counter dodged is really killing my game with all my 1" melee ranges.

you can still fight with the bear you just have to be mindful of where you deliver him. And you can still goad with theron its just not as annoying as it was.

For getting around their dodges, most dont have an easy access to a double dodge without crowding. So if you go base to base they generally can only dodge an inch away so your still in melee.

Appreciate the shop talk.

What is the general strategy against tough hide models? Should you just hold and maintain them, or go all in? I know it may matter on the specific model, but Kraken can be a chore to take down should he counter attack.

Anytime user. I love to help out where I can.

For hunters, unless you can get snared on someone for seenha, I wouldn't bother. Unless you have no other targets its better to focus on something else. The problem is that hunters dont have a good way of getting +damage which is the best way to deal with tough hide. The best thing to do would be to just cc kraken and walk away from him. Throw snared on him, gut and string him (or whatever herne does), hit him with chaskas boom stick, etc.

If you're fighting a team like brewers then focus on their squishy targets unless you can manage a situation where you can easily wrap on someone with seenha. Like a KD'd, snared tapper whos crowded out.

Have they said if they're planning on redoing all the old models in cheaper plastic? Or are they just going ahead with new shit for the time being?

Ratchet, because he does everything.
> Tooled Up
> Blast Earth
> Gives 2x Tooled Blast Earth to Hoist
> Clears Conditions
> Provides free Charges
> Rezzes Mainspring

My favourite 'gotcha' tactic is to get Mainspring killed and then use Ratchet to Sprint, Rez and Overclock a new one further upfield. Mainspring then Sprints for free, Passes for free, and spawns an 8" Snapshot threat.

The whole combo needs 1INF on Ratchet plus ~4MOM generated over the turn, but it's so satisfying when it works.

>Overclocked
This ability itself is so good. Like it can be overstated enough how good it is to turn one momentum into two INF is. Let alone the fact it can bring someone over their cap.
During playtesting they had Colossus as a 2/4 player before they decided he was to good and brought him back down to a 2/3. Now you can give him what amounts to five. If you charge the right target you can wrap and hit both a damage or KD, and singled out and then proceed to be the crap out of them.
To say nothing of pin vice with tooled up and deletion getting five attacks and a charge.

they have not said anything one way or another about old model reprints. wouldn't be surprised if over time all the old guilds end up in a Kick-off-style double set

What is your favorite thing about Guild Ball?

What do you dislike the most?

pretty much excellent metal casts
A&G on every team

So I'm brand new to the game. Managed to snag a kick off box. Play with my brother, he chose brewers and I got masons. Tips on how to beat him? His guys just seem flat out stronger than mine and they arnt really any slower either.. But I am probably missing some basic stuff I'm open to learn.

your momentum generation is more consistent so focus on getting lots of momentum and winning initiative a lot. Have Mallet and Marbles set up on a player and then Honour with 6 INF will likely kill them no matter who they are. play defensively and make it awkward for him to avoid your double counter-charge. Don't forget knock back on Brick.

Also, while you're both technically playing "mixed threat" teams, your Masons lineup is way better at scoring than his Brewers lineup. try to score two goals every game with some combination of Honour, Harmony, and Flint. Flint can score bottom of turn one if you receive with Superior Strategy no problem, especially against newer players.

Thanks! I will try and use this advice. I didn't realize momentum was so important.

Why should I play this instead of Blood Bowl

Because you don't play either and want to play one, but don't want to pick up a Games Workshop game.

If I had a bloodbowl army I'd play bloodbowl. I have a warmachine army so I'm more likely to play Grind. If I had neither, Guildball gets talked up a lot as being fun as shit.

Sportsball games don't really do it for me, but guildball is certainly a pretty one.

Is it more of a sport game or a wargame? What are its mechanics, and what do you like about it? I hear its small model count.

They get the soccer feeling done quite well in the game. You can play punchy, but you are better served trying to score than outright murder your opponent. I've played Warmachine for six years, and while GB will not replace Warmachine for me, I really enjoy the game for what it is. Find a local group and try a demo, I'd recommend it highly. I also use to play in a 12 man Bloodbowl league, and love Bloodbowl immensely. If you can find I league I highly recommend Bloodbowl as well.

Any news on the Hag? I'm a Fish player and I'm looking forward to her

she has a legendaryplay . hurts herself to move herself and others, friend and enemy

It's a longshot, but anything on Crucible?

It's huge!

youtu.be/iA0kN8eGz7s?t=153

Here's a great game between Masons and Brewers. Flint is a beast

The amount of options available from even the simplest actions.
Avarisse & Greede

New Hunter shit. No rules but the description on the (webstore?) That spoiled it made them sound very mobile and ball focused

Probably Kraken I get a lot of work out of him every time he's used and the alternate sculpt is just cool.

Veteran Hearn confirmed? But who's the cutie up center? Looking forward to seeing them.

I believe that's the new captain

Mind posting the description?

The makers of this game run Element games, my lgs, so I had a team from the day it was released.

It's by far the shittest tabletop game I've played in a while. Tried a butcher team and morticians guild, both couldn't make me enjoy the game. Clunky mechanics and shit rules made every game a chore.

Light on their feet and menacing as the cold, this pack of hunters brings the sharp sting of winter to the sport. Their fearsome captain, Skatha, commands the pitch with slick footwork and a passing game as unrelenting as winter's howling winds. Opponents had best be wary with the ball against her pack. One misstep and their watchful protector Snow will fetch the ball and pass it to their feral striker, Ulfr. This lone huntsman lives for the rush of an ambush, targeting prey who stand between him and the goal post. To ensure their striker makes the shot, Veteran Hearne lies in wait, ready to ensnare his prey and show them the cruelty of winter. His furs now matted with frost, Hearne proves even the most ardent supporters of the Sun Father can be swayed by the Winter Queen.
The Heralds of the Winter's Moon Expansion includes one metal model (assembly required) and stat card for each of the following:
Skatha — Captain (30mm)
Snow — Mascot (30mm)
Ulfr — Player (30 or 40mm) - conflicting info
Veteran Hearne — Player (40mm)

Thanks. Sounds pretty cool. I'm interested to see what ulfr does since hunters have really been lacking a solid striker.
Although I was looking at zarola and she's actually got a good threat range if she's got BoSF.

What do you dislike about A&G in particular? Genuinely curious. I didn't like them in season two because everyone had to take them for the seventh activation, but now I don't think they're as bad or even as much of an auto include.

Also any thing on ox or locus. I'm pretty sure ox has drag, and granite's determination ability. I'm also fairly certain he has a legendary or something to give out a vengeance token.

One other thing to note about Mason's an their momentum generation. Everyone of the Mason's momentous results are in the bottom half of their playbooks. If your goal is to generate momentum then it's much better to just walk and buy attacks. Charging is really only necessary if you want to try and wrap with someone, such as mallet, or if you need the distance. At the moment it might be a bit harder for you against brewers since they have tough hide which is the bane of killing strats. Once you get tower it'll be a lot easier. If you tool up honour and give her assist from marbles she can just easily and consistently hit momentous 4 on 2 hits all day long, and if she's fully stacked thats 24 damage before tough hide. That's enough to easily kill tapper from full health. Not to mention getting 7 momentum from one activation (6 bits + 1 for the take out).

ox has a thing like drag but aoe around him. no vengeance mecanic but does get big bonus if he kills

That's pretty cool. Is the bonus kind of like bonesaws +1 def when he scores?

>skatha
>hair across her chest
>barefoot
>can't help but imagine she's barechested
The cold never bothered her anyway.

thoughts? this was one of the STW guys

wow retarded took cap of wrong tweet

How do I deal with Tapper? I know I can slow him down but he is hard to kill and eventually he gets to my guys and kills one per turn minimum plus puts up the aura. playing Morticians and Hunters

I just keep on pushing him back with Obulus. I found that if you want to get into killing match with Brewers, condition stacking is the best way to go.

Well, Looks like the cavalry came for the Hunter's. finally.

they look good but do they play good or does Jamie just hate himself

>they're going to be metal too

That's good. Still not super happy about the switch to plastic but we'll have to wait and see how the Farmer's Guild looks in person

I'm happy that they're experimenting on a team that isn't mine. I would be really mad if it turns out the plastic releases were not, in fact, better than the Kickoff! minis and I had to get crappy plastic models for my guild.

I want them to succeed and make great plastic pieces, but I ain't paying a dime until I like what I see. They're gonna have to show me, cause right now I don't habeeb it.

Metal or Plastic? the eternal battle

They're just so prevalent.
Its a unique mechanic and in fluff, blatant cheating. You'd think they'd be rarer or that there would be some penalty for them.
Instead they are in every roster of every team.

They aren't even fun, just a guaranteed goal with nothing else to distinguish them.
Being OP is just the icing.

I feel like most teams prefer Harry over A&G if Harry is an option. Maybe Minx too but less sure about that.

I hope they're wrong. Mostly so that my current main guild doesn't become jordan's main guild. Special snowflake or whatever.

I think it's weird that Avarisse & Greede are available to every team. I guess it's so everyone can have a 7 player set up, but I wish it was more unique somehow. Especially with Brainpan & Memory dropping soon. Morticians may be able to have an 8 man team