Hey Veeky Forums I'm bored...

Hey Veeky Forums I'm bored, so tell me from a functional standpoint what's good and bad about this girl's armor and weapon loadout aside from being excessively anime.
Also, anime armor thread, I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X8zCv0AHnCs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Exposed thighs mostly. That's just asking for some innuendo about someone shoving a sword between her legs, and then it stops being funny because she's unable to walk and is bleeding out.

Nothing, if someone complain about woman warrior armor tell them that if they believe in possibility of "dragons, wizards and female warriors" they should accept bikini/shitty armor if one decides that particular woman wears it

>unable to walk and is bleeding out
But that's also innuendo user

Here's your (You).

I'll just skip 150 posts of ensuing debate, and tell you this - dragons, wizards and female warriors are acceptable if they are consistent with the setting.
Wearing shitty armor when there are better alternatives available is rarely consistent with the setting. A handwave excuse like "the shitty armor design is actually great for focusing your inner magic" will make it consistent with the setting, though.

>what's bad
she's wearing dude pants

OP here, decided to post a less action pose so you can get a better look.

I don't think it's bikini armor. It doesn't even have boob bumps.

Basically what says, and I'd go a little further to say her legs in general are rather unarmored. This wouldn't be a problem if mobility was key, though with those heals, I would suspect she rides into battle on a horse and not run across the likely uneven battlefield. If such is the case, her legs are in danger while on the horse, and her mobility is particularly hindered when not on the horse.

Additionally, the spear is a little too fancy, and thus it is likely to get bent out of shape and deteriorated after a while, particularly the parts of it that resemble a halberd more than a spear. Said part might also hinder it's ability to make deep wounds. Then again, in a fantasy setting, durability magic can likely cancel out the artistry of the spear being subject to wear and deterioration, though the second point still stands.

The shield looks pretty decent though. I'd say it is of proper shape and size, though the design on the front is going to get pretty battered fairly quickly unless it has durability magics to retain the shield design.

The scale mail is pretty alright. Not too fancy, so it'll be good for a while. Not entirely sure what those belt-like straps are for, and I don't know how they are being kept in place. Cape might hinder mobility as well.

This ends my analysis. saved

>better armor
>it's better because I and not stats determined that it's better
Oh you mean """""realistic""""" armor, sure you also don't think all women should have -4 str. Everything is consistent unless you start whining that it's not how real armor looked

You made me laugh, you magnificent bastard.

It's not bikiarmor, indeed, I was just preparing for debate. But she lacks hand, thight and head protection, which are "unacceptable" by some anons standards

Needs a helmet

Long hair was not completely absent in melee combat, but that is a LOT of hair that could get caught in things, and nobody really wants to wash blood out of their hair. From what I've heard, it was mostly a discipline thing over a slight functional advantage.

If those white greaves are solid, she can't bend her legs. If those white greaves bend, she should really get some actual leg protection.

Maybe a bit lower heels

Spear is a tad ostentatious, you'd pick a simpler one for long fights where it'll be dragged through muck and gore.

Yeah, the white part is cloth so she can definitely bend them.

How troubling are the heels, they look small and wide at the bottom, I'm guessing 2" or 5cm at most.
Fantasy spear and shield are definitely for flourish and showing off though.

And at the very least she keeps it in a ponytail instead of free flowing.

Now I'm posting her brother. Opinions on his stuff?

Which one looks better?

And non-action pose.

im starting to wonder if the hair is WORSE as a ponytail. If you only grabbed a few strands, it'd hurt like a bitch but the hair is more likely to be pulled out rather than drag the person around.

I hope HIS cloth greaves are thicker.

Sword is a tad wide.....for a two-hander. He better have a hell of an arm to swing that around with one hand. Having a shield is not necessarily enough reason to not have a sword guard. Sword's shape is rather unwieldy for thrusting attacks.

Both of them are about equal in looks.

He's got actual greaves, you can see them end about where his knees are. His crotch is protected from the cold at least.

I really, REALLY want to kick a girl in the cooch at some point. I've just never been in a situation where that's socially acceptable. At this point I'm legit wondering if there are prostitutes who provide that service.

Why?

the only real issues i have apart from the thighs is that her halberd is pretty short (maybe so it pairs better with a a shield?) and the head should be facing inward. halberds where almost never used with shields and they were group fighting weapons not dueling ones, though that could explain the shield

also scale mail was far outdated by the time halberds were used she should be wearing half plate over a gamberson.

why is she wearing a cape

Her armor has straps where an armored skirt is supposed to be attached: Why isn't she wearing one? That conspicuously Japanese miniskirt is gonna get her killed, particularly if those heels are meant for riding.

his armor is okay apart from the pauldron being on his shield arm, that's fucking retarded, its either useless or hes hindering his own range.

the sword gets me though, why is he using a ceremonial sword as a weapon, that thing should only be used for knighthoods and coronations. its far to thick and wide for its length. it should be either shorter (and still thinner) like a gladius or longer and thinner like a sidesword. a bastard sword may also be acceptable.

the small shield is reasonable for an all metal shield although wouldn't be paired with whatever that sword is meant to be.

Tl;DR: the sword is fucking retarded

Interesting, so why was scalemail outdated back then? And what do you mean by "facing inward?"

The cape is just a cape and she's nobility so she "gets to be" fancy.

That sounds like a good idea they didn't think of.

Posting a new one.

Nothing really that extreme. Weapon looks functional enough, the scales that make up her armour may be a bit big but they should still do their job well enough. The only major issues are the high heels and lack of a helmet.

Unarmoured thighs are overrated as fuck. She is clearly wearing light armour so adding yet more armour to protect a relatively unimportant area is stupid. Sure your femoral artery could get severed but it is nowhere near as dangerous as a spear to the chest, and arrow to the throat, or a hammer blow to the head.

Generally the order of preference for armour is
>Head
>Torso
>Legs
>Arms
There is a reason modern soldiers, 18th century heavy cavalry, Greek hoplites, Roman Legionaries don't/didn't have armour to protect their thighs. Because it adds weight and isn't a vital area to the same extent as your head or torso. Plus when you are fighting with a shield it should cover your upper legs as well as your torso.

his thighpads dont make sense and his belt doesn't connect to anything

According to the action pose it connects to his sword sheath.

The thigh is the easiest part of the body to hit.

That's an utterly absurd assertion. Is this bait?
Anywhere on the outer body is far easier to hit simply by merit of being the first thing to make contact in a broad swinging range, and the torso in general is a significantly larger target.
When fighting a naked opponent, the best place to impale them would be the stomach, or just chop at them and accept whatever damage is done to the outer legs and arms that (presumably) would attempt to shield their vitals.
The thighs are generally hidden from the opponent in a standard combat stance with melee equipment anyway. Lowered profile and all that.

This one should be interesting
So, let's take Camilla here. Before we start, those aren't metal cups on her armor for her tits. That's actually cloth cups for the corset she's wearing that's attached to her armor.

Now, her role is Malig Knight. So she rides a zombie dragon and rains magic down from the sky unless she wants to drop a fuck huge axe on her enemies before taking back to the sky, does it matter that she has all that cleavage exposed?

N O H E L M E T
That's the real deal. Fuck anyone who thinks attacking the legs are easy. Roman soldiers went out in a helmet, greaves, and breastplate, that should tell you the three most important things to guard. This girl has the greaves, breastplate, and shield, and that is sufficient guard for a light skirmishing fighter (but fucking wannabe D&D historians think anything less than french heavy cavalry full plate means you will die at the slightest scratch), however her lack of a helmet is a terminal weak point. Even barbarians knew a metal cap is pretty crucial to not get clubbed and die of a concussion.

what i meant when i said scale mail was outdated is that a halberd is Renaissance era weapon and at that point armor had evolved to use ring/chain+plate, scale mail was obsolete by that point. however it was cheaper ( even then it was seldom used in the reconnaissance), but from her equipment you can she money wasn't really an issue as she is clearly, as you said a noble

also the "axe head" of a halberd typically faced toward the wielder see pic related. be careful not to confuse halberds with polaxes, the difference is that polaxes are short and usually have forward facing axe heads and backwards facing spikes/hammers

also forgot to mention the scales are far too big

but it doesn't loop through his clothes, a sword that thick is probably weighty so his belt would fall down/off

if shes any form of cavalry not having a tough helmet is unacceptable, historically cavalries biggest threat when charging was a rain of arrows
snice she is flying she could reasonably sort of "hug" the dragon to protect her exposed chest but not having a solid helmet will get her done in unless her effective range is far higher than an arrows.

also her drakes barding is bad, it should have more underbelly Armour

True, but it looks like the belt is attached to the strap on his arm. Fuck if I know what's actually going on here though.

Okay, so it's an issue with the blade angle then? Also you said it was pretty short with a halbred. Is it possible that her weapon is a poleaxe without the back spike/hammer?

i suppose a polaxe would make more sense, especially with a a shield pairing (though this never historically happened) and as the polaxe is seen as a "knightly" or "noble" weapon it would also fit her character better. however polaxes weren't period appropriate for her clothes, then again neither is the scale.

>That sounds like a good idea they didn't think of.

They probably referenced some sort of real/fantasy armor designs and then Japanesed it up without understanding some of the finer details.

A shame, an armored skirt would have been a way to add a little bit of fabulousness to the design without feeling as 'modern' as that miniskirt does.

>no bare thighs
D R O P P E D

Assuming she's meant to fight on horseback, nothing really, but as a foot slogger as everyone has mentioned she'd get legg'd.

A lot of the problem with most anime armor is that what is meant to be used while mounted gets slapped onto footsoldiers due to sloppy research. The frog helmet is another constant offender.

Camilla doesn't technically have anything wrong with her armor though as long as she's fighting on horseback; light cavalry through history has ridden to battle with less armor than her with no ill results.

Even ignoring what said the fact of the matter is that thighs are generally the last area to armour, just before the left arm.
>Head and torso are extremely important thus they get first dibs on armour
This can be seen in Roman legionaries, modern soldiers, and 18th century cuirassiers. They wear a helmet, a breastplate or something similar, and no other armour.
>Thighs have a shield to protect them, the shins generally don't so they get second dibs
This can be seen in hoplites whose thighs were protected by the shields of both the hoplite and the man next to him.
After that you can worry about the sword arm which doesn't get a shield to protect it, then the thighs, and finally the shield arm.

OP's picture doesn't look like she is going for full plate so once she has some head and chest protection she is pretty much done with her armour, anything more will add cost and weight to the final suit of armour.

apart from the frills and skirt shit, her armor seems like light and functional, decent greaves, pauldrons and breastplate, would make sense as bodyguard armor, light enough for everyday use but practical for battle. she should really wear a helmet though.

also if she is wearing this everyday instead of regular clothes she should ditch the shield in favor of a larger sword, its easier to carry and its what real bodyguards did so it probably worked.

well the frog helmet wasn't even a cavalry thing, it was used for tournament jousting. in a real battle you'd hyperventilate in that fucking deathtrap

>Oh you mean """""realistic""""" armor, sure you also don't think all women should have -4 str. Everything is consistent unless you start whining that it's not how real armor looked

OP asked "tell me from a functional standpoint".

**Functionally**, armour is shitty if it doesn't cover the bits that will cause you to die if you get stabbed in them.

Unless magic handwaves. Which is exactly what that guy said.

What's wrong with a skirt? Especially one that doesn't restrict movement like that?

The shield is actually strapped to her upper arm. sense that's normally the side facing the enemy.
This is her normal equipment that she sort of wears day-to-day

well the skirt doesn't add any functionality, and can be grabbed or caught on weapons to pull her off balance. a shield is heavy and uncomfortable for everyday use if your not expecting to fight every single day, this is why bucklers became popular, they are small and unintrusive.

as for this one, the gamberson is effective and functional but her pauldron is way oversised and on the wrong fucking arm. it should go on the sword-side because that is the side you face the enemy with, otherwise you hinder your range. maybe shes left handed...

also swords worn on the back aren't a thing.

Fair enough, though would their be any benefits to wearing a skirt, especially since anons earlier were talking about armored skirts would there be an advantage to a thick cloth/leather one or would it need plates first?

You're right on the shield thing, they do face the enemy with the left arm as they charge, but keep the right arm free for ease of mobility swinging the sword.
The animation goes something like "Run in sort of crouched behind the shield on the left, and swing with the right when you're in range"

She doesn't carry the sword on her back though, she just poses like that all the time.

armored skirts were good around the same time as scale mail because articulation was hard to do and a skirt was mobile while still providing decent protection against slashes.

typically and armored skirt is heavy leather strips with maybe some metal or studs. like pic related.

these things had their heyday around the same time as jesus though, so in a medieval to Renaissance settings they dont make too much sense.

Tl;DR:an armored skirt isn't likely if theres chain mail available, still could be cool in costume design thocostume design tho

What about a chainmail skirt?

yea but why not chainmail pants

> taking 4chins advice on what is realistic

I'm not sure if I'm remembering dumb things or fantasy things, but doesn't a skirt help spread the blow out more than pants, since pants are lying against your leg?
I honestly might be thinking of star wars arc troopers and their explosive resistant half skirt things.

Not realistic, but what does and does not work

yea it does because of compression ratios or some shit but since chain pants were widespread and chain skirts weren't i think its safe to assume there's a good reason why they weren't used, maybe because of halberds but i don't want to write a paragraph about how much i fucking love halberds

TFW you will never be landsknecht. why even live?

I'd hope the fact that it's not socially acceptable takes a backseat to the fact that you don't think it's right to kick someone.

If it's more like Roman-style armor than medieval European-style armor, then the exposed thighs aren't as preposterous. Though having skin covered by cloth is still significantly better than having skin covered by nothing.

Also capes are not a good idea ever. That's probably my biggest complaint. (Also the lack of a helmet, but fantasy characters never wear helmets.)

Quads confirm, colorful german knights are cool.

As for the skirt thing, maybe it takes more material to make a skirt than pants, or they're heavier since they have to be able to go wide enough for legs to spread and move.
Pants might just be more efficient to make, and skirts were starting to be seen as girly.

yea but the thing is these hellenistic niggers didn't have articulated armour so this was the best they could do. not to mention phalanx formation makes it nigh impossible to get at their arms or legs.

on the other the anime girl was wearing a gamberson and her polaxe/halberd/spear was clearly not made of bronze also she didnt have a couple hundred buddies who all happenend to have shields and polearms as well, or at least it wasn't implied

The heels aren't that bad, really, at least height-wise. They're low enough to walk around in them comfortably even if you rarely wear heels, and if you DO wear heels you might even be able to run in them okay (not that I'd recommend it).

Thickness is the bigger concern. They ain't exactly stilettos, but the last thing you want is for the heel to snap off or sink into a soft bit of ground.

>FE thread even on Veeky Forums

I must fulfill my duty to the best wife.

Also, anyone know what exactly a Kinshi is? Just a giant bird?

A Kinshi was the great giant bird that led the first Japanese emperor to victory against his enemies.

>Reina
Personally, if we're going to be picking from mom's friends, Orochi is the better of mom's best friends for sure.

she isn't really wearing armor apart from her breastplate.

her polearm (naginata?) is retarded though. why are there spikes on the handle? stupid bitch loses a lot of range if she stays in that grip but she cant change cause there are SPIKES ON THE FUCKING HANDLE. what possible use could putting spikes where your hands have to be serve, is she a blood mage or some shit and her blood powers her weapon, only explanation i can come up with

Are you retarded? It's like a traditional katana's grip diamond shaped wrapping.

Wait, was I baited?

They're pretty clearly studs.

user holy shit those aren't spikes it's a grip.

That's just zoomed in a bit too much for the art style.

Good God man.

Those were supposed to be the diamonds made when you give something a katana grip weave.

But if it's time to post weird, what' the threads opinion on mages dressing like pic related?

Not enough chest showing. Should take notes from his retainer.

Same outfit, just twisty posing.
His big sister wears it pretty well too though.

am i retarded this looked like spikes to me

They do, but it's just the artstyle being screwy.

0/10, not enough chest showing.

That does look like spikes, but that's her sleeve. Her sleeves are kind of pointy, you can see that on her other arm.

These guys got pwned by the Romans who wore actual functional armor.

I dunno, I guess a combination of curiosity and the fact that it's such a social faux-pas. The fact that you're not supposed to do it makes it all the better, you know?

Come on, don't pretend women don't like kicking men in the dick.

So should she be this heavily armoured if she's fighting on horseback 100% of the time?

>I must fulfill my duty to the best wife.
That is some absolutely best taste you have there friend

Funny how you didn't post either actual option for best wife.

>Exposed thighs mostly.
Covered by the shield. Doesn't matter a lick. She needs a helmet though.

The best armor is "I don't give a fuck, what are you going to do, stab me?" armor

History is weirder than fiction.

That's actually not terrible for anime armour. Her legs are too exposed but otherwise not bad

What this user said. Even normal archers or crossbowmen will do her in easily on the first pass unless she has really good magical shields. Any heroic archer will transform both her and her mount into pincushions.

It's clearly not trying to be realistic, and not everything has to be, but if you really want to know, this is everything I can find wrong with it:

>no head, neck, or thigh protection
>high heeled sabatons
>sabatons too tight
>if she isn't fighting mounted, probably should be wearing greaves over proper boots instead of sabatons
>scale mail outdated compared to the Renaissance/early modern theme of the rest of her gear
>long sleeves and a cape, but a miniskirt and Daisy Dukes. This combination would not be good for any kind of weather.
>enormous suspenders holding up tiny miniskirt
>comically large spear head
>handle too thin to get a good grip on
>the only things that look like weapon grips are way too high and low on the weapon. You'd never actually hold it in either of those places.
>calling it a "loadout"

Skirt is easier to make because you can attach it to the torso armour and do as single piece. But if you are going to wear mail with plate pieces you want it to hug you as close as possible so that layered armour will not restrict your motions.

Basically - no plate armor mail skirt (with torso mail of course) going to be cheaper and better. With plate wear pants.

Pretty okay. Though I would ditch the cape or at least tie it at a waist so it won't catch on something.

Pants and boots are actually good for combat. This wide pants allow a lot of freedom of movement.

Shirt is a little retarded but nothing criminal.

Actually more. Full helmet, ditch the shitty breastplate and get a normal one with abdominal protection? and get something to cover the upper arms besides oversized pauldrons.

if she wears a helmet that's acceptable for a demilance, apart from the retarded axe. it would make stabbing a lot less effective and stabbing was what cav were good for.

If she is cavarly, she might use one of these ancient iranian wing-like barding that protects both legs and horse.

I doubt it was the artist's idea, but this reminds me of polish-lithuanians and their hard-on for sarmatians.

Those crazy bastards used scale armor as late as 1683, during a cavarly charge that would put the Rohirrim to shame. 20.000 riders.

Trench warfare mixed with heavy cavarly armoured in scale, composite bows against musket, muh anachronism haters fuck off

youtube.com/watch?v=X8zCv0AHnCs

>protagonists or hell main characters in general
>obscuring their faces with helmets
You know how in Kamen Rider stuff their suit has a bigger following than the character wearing it? You usually don't want that to happen.

When you're a literal magical dragon rider you kinda have no real fucks left to give and just go wherever you damn well please.

As cavalry I could see the set up working, but that weapon is just asking to get caught in some enemy's guts

It has a literal hook in it, if you stabbed someone it'd be stuck in the them and you'd be disarmed

she's flying around on a giant bird user she doesn't need much armor

he's a mage, so he isn't supposed to be in melee combat, but holy shit if he ever is he's pepsi

and then they all died

woooow, how could that happen?!?

>That conspicuously Japanese miniskirt
She isn't wearing a skirt, she is wearing short shorts (instead of the pants, on the male version). That skirt looking bit is the bottom edge of the tunic she is wearing under her armor.

Compare and

Isn't this from that videogame series that started being actual strategy games and nowadays they're just waifu simulators?

"Combat Heels," exposed thighs, halberd is too ornate to be a practical weapon, although this is excusable as it is visibly magic in nature.

Are there any elf archers around? Because if answer is she needs all the armor she can get her hands on.

Well, they still are strategy games, just with increasing amount of waifu simulator. Fire Emblem.

Sharena's armor is fine, as are her weapons. People are going to whine about exposed thighs, which, granted is a problem. Except you can find numerous historical cases where people didn't cover their inner thighs in armor. This is because that part of the body is actually pretty hard to hit compared to other areas.

Now don't get me wrong. Her armor could be better. But it does a decent job protecting center mass, which is where most blows will be landing.

You're not fooling anyone by pretending you don't know the name of the game, when this character is from a not-yet-released game in the series.

It was something like Blazing Symbol right?

Burned Representation? Scorched Sign? Heated Token?

Pros:
>Everything important is mostly covered
>Fairly practical design
>Freedom of movement is preserved
>Overly anime but practical stance

Cons:
>Skirt may as well be non-existent, leaving groin and upper thighs obviously vulnerable
>Heels
>Cape
>Long hair