Play D&D for years with best friend

>Play D&D for years with best friend
>He has been there with me through thick and thin
>He's That Guy

It's so bad that he refused to even name his character or even speak during town RP. His purpose is to turn into an animal and kill everything when combat starts.

It's not too late to fix him. Try showing him what fun it can be to RP a dynamic character.

>be playing in steady group of bro's
>one guy is kinda munchkin-y, but otherwise OK
>mention D&D to friend
>he's enthusiastic, says he's played it before
>practically begs me to join
>let him in
>instant That Guy
>doesn't understand the rules
>is then pissed off that his character is weak
>when he isn't bitching he's missing sessions because muh football
>eventually becomes convinced I'm just trying to fuck him because I want to look cool in front of my other friends
>this is one of the factors in basically ending this friendship

When he said that his previous DM used to fuck him over, that should have been a red flag. I've never seen the amount of salt this guy brings to the fucking game, holy shit.

Sounds like a standard drood to me. Not used to human society, much more at ease killing everything as a bear.

>When he said that his previous DM used to fuck him over, that should have been a red flag
Note for the future and for others:
When someone says something like this, it should be the beginning of a detailed conversation on the topic.
When a prospective employee mentions that they had an issue with their last job, you find out what and why.
You also take their version with a grain of salt.
No pun intended.

>When he said that his previous DM used to fuck him over, that should have been a red flag

HR 101: if someone mentions that he left his previous job because of shitty management, you can almost guarantee he's the actual shitty one.

Try not playing with your dog

Some people can be great friends, but shitty at playing nice with others. They abuse their connection to use to ruin other people's fun, just because they think it's 'funny'. Don't play with him anymore. When asked why, tell him that he's ruining your fun in a polite way. If he's your friend, he'll understand.

I can second this. I had a friend be like this, since he was pretty much a "that guy". We had a lengthy argument with a bit of yelling and we ended with something along the lines of "We'll never play RPGs together ever again, deal?"

>Some people can be great friends, but shitty at playing nice with others. They abuse their connection to use to ruin other people's fun, just because they think it's 'funny'. Don't play with him anymore
This
I had to ban my dad from playing the family game of Apples to Apples.
He kept cheating.
You heard me.

>tfw you realize that YOU are That Guy
>tfw you leave your games in disgrace despite people trying to lie and say you aren't

it's a bad feel lads

>thinks they are That Guy
>leaves group in response
>feels disgraced
>convinced people telling him he isn't That Guy are lying
>bad feel
>cry.jpg
Have you consider the possibility that you're just a crybaby drama queen overreacting after reading one too many That Guy stories on Veeky Forums?
That Guys don't consider others or fear being That Guy
Good players that realize they have been engaging in "That Guy behavior" don't stop playing, they just cut that shit out, stop that behavior, and try to do better in the future.

I suspect you are neither.
Cheer up user!
Just because you're a massive faggot today doesn't mean you have to stay that way!
Get out of your own head, pull that head out of your ass, let others have fun, and play the damn game.

I'm just worried that they're doing me like this thread: that their friendship is overriding their wanting to give it to me straight that I'm That Guy. I realize that I've been a caustic player for a long time, so I felt it was best to just remove myself from the situation entirely.

>I felt it was best to just remove myself from the situation entirely
What is your reasoning for not remaining to do better, be better, and make amends?

Wish to retain the Moral High Ground at all costs.

Because I felt like I had acted that way for too long to be forgiven.

Sounds like he has fun being a murderhobo and you have fun RPing.
Both are totally acceptable, and as long as you value playing with him over playing in your favored style, everything is fine.
When he becomes a disruptive asshole, it's time to tell him you're not having fun anymore and follow 's advice.

>Moral High Ground
I'm not familiar with that traditional game. Enjoy playing it alone, I guess. Heh

Seriously though, that's not retaining the moral high ground, that's running away from those you embarrassed yourself in front of with your poor behavior, cowardly hiding behind the idea that you're"protecting" the others from the behavior they've already forgiven, and then self-centeredly self-flagellating yourself so you can feel better about your mistakes rather than going back, facing the music, and working to redeem yourself.

Hiding is easy.
Punishing yourself is easy.
Being a better player and a better person is hard.
Take the hard path.
It is the only one that leads to the high ground.

So, because you're retarded?
They care enough about you to want you to hang out with them so much, SO MUCH that they would, if you're right, by your own account, LIE to you to make you feel less badly about yourself. They would accept your poor behaviour and hang out with you of their own free choice because they want to be your friends, and you think they wouldn't forgive you for being a chode?
Are you fucking serious, you retard?

Go to your friends, apologize, resolve to be better in the future and just remember to be excellent to eachother my dude.
Don't give up on these friends of yours. Clearly, they're worth holding onto. Cherish them, and appreciate how lucky you are to have them, just as they clearly appreciate having you.

You dumb fuckin dip.

>Because I felt like I had acted that way for too long to be forgiven.
See
>you're "protecting" the others from the behavior they've already forgiven
Antway, even those that can never find redemption can still strive for it.

I imagine this is the pep talk a slightly nerdier Clint Eastwood would give to his socially incompetent and self-conscious son.

>played for years
It is too late. If he didn't get it just from watching people enjoy themselves all this time, he's just not cut for it.

Even if you're some sort of massive sperg I think the people you're playing with realize and appreciate that you're trying your best and not just being completely oblivious to the problem, that is probably why they're trying to spare your feelings. That also means they are willing to put up with your bullshit.

Pretty much this, also try to have a honest talk with them about what you can do to improve your experience.

Man, that explains why I can't get a new job. People don't fucking believe me when I tell them about my last company.
(10 out of 14 employees quit in a year, just in case you think I'm exaggerating.)

That is the highest praise I could ever hope to receive. Thanks user

The closest I had to this was a friend who couldn't take anything seriously and constantly used pop culture references in chats, especially referencing King Leonidas all the time. It got so bad that he stole a carpet from a house and used it as a Spartan cape. I retaliated by having the guards shoot him full of bolts when he murdered an NPC as a joke. Then he made a detective that was basically a racist stereotype of a Finnish person. I had him locked up until the end of the game for starting a bar fight. Thankfully, this friend was too much of a pussy to retaliate in any way.

I've seen a director leave a company then seen dozens quit down to crappy management within 3 months.
A sudden change in management can be bad.

Glad to spread good vibes. :^)

I assume your picture is a photo of your friend?

>join D&D group that a friend of a friend is running
>only know one person there
>every character is lol so randum
>characters were:
>druid that hates nature because lol so randum
>fetishy dragonborn sorceress that has ''giant tits'' and is a prostitute
>goblin rogue who would rather leave his friends to die than split loot with the party and yes he actually did this
>he also fudged a lot of his stealth rolls
>'''''''''LG'''''''' paladin of helm who I shit you not beat up a homeless man because he thought it was funny
>and my character, a CG dwarf barbarian who despite having a charisma of 8, was the most beloved character by the townspeople because he wasn't a fucking maniac

I only played 3 sessions with that group before I just left.

storytime
now

Should have left when they announced their characters.

>>'''''''''LG'''''''' paladin of helm who I shit you not beat up a homeless man because he thought it was funny
You don't need to convince anybody. I've just witnessed a game where the paladin intimidated everyone he met and generally said fuck, shit and various forms thereof more than actual words. While in character. Unfortunately, he was one of only two people in the group who had any experience at all roleplaying. The other one was a helpless GM who had no experience as a GM and defended putting completely random monsters in the dungeon. The barbarian, though, was constantly in character and attacked mobs by biting their miniatures.

That is absurd. Especially given how common incompetent or downright spiteful managers are. In my experience if someone is leaving a job due to management it is almost always their fault not the employees.

>People don't fucking believe me when I tell them about my last company.
The only way to handle it is to conduct yourself as professional as possible.
Do not bad mouth previous employers.
Instead, frame the situation as diplomatically as possible.

>Have you consider the possibility that you're just a crybaby drama queen overreacting after reading one too many That Guy stories on Veeky Forums?
This is pretty much what my DM said to me when I told him I was concerned that I was the weak link in the group.

Ask them after a session, individually if you prefer, for input on your roleplay. If you're worried about them not wanting to voice their criticisms, then give them a context in which to tactfully do so.

And stop reading That Guy threads.

>biting their miniatures

Are you sure you didn't play in a preschool?

I recently played a one-off with a group of relative strangers. Pretty good group overall except one guy who did not understand you cannot go "I kill that guy and steal his shit and then pawn it". You can TRY to kill that guy but the chance you'll succeed is minimal.

He said things like that all the time no matter how we tried to explain it.

This is "humour". And then these people come to Veeky Forums and say "oh, our games are absolutely hysterical, we're better at humour than the designers themselves!"

Be that as it may, it's not really a good idea to say that when you want to get hired. Even outside of the professional world, talking about how awful something was and assigning blame when you first meet someone probably isn't going to leave a good impression.

That's not that bad. He doesn't add to the roleplaying but at least he doesn't detract from it.

>because you're retarded?

No, because I know how That Guy just builds resentment, no matter what people say. I've tried to change, but it never works. I always lapse. So I left. No game is better than bad gaming, especially not bad gaming I'm inflicting on everyone else.

I should clarify, the game is not ending because I left.

It could be worse. You could always be me. I assume all my friends either secretly hate me or secretly find me annoying but pity me too much to tell me to fuck off. At least you still assume your friends don't hate you.

They're willing to let you try to improve, user. Why aren't you? I've seen nothing to prove you can't, so I believe in you. Your friends believe in you. Conform, motherfucker.

>Friend plays games for the sake of the rules
>This is badwrongfun
Get over yourself. There is nothing wrong with caring more about mechanics than roleplaying. If you prefer roleplaying while your friend prefers mechanics than maybe you and your friend should compromise or simply not play together.

It is like claiming that your friend is wrong for playing counterstrike or battlefield as opposed to fallout or skyrim.

Doggos are the only true friends.

That's not a That Guy at all. Not even close. Your friend just does engauge.

The issues with That Guy's are either out of game or often RP in game.

Oh wow this thread is still alive. Anyways, I should have elaborated that he was shitting on the new guy's RP so much that the guy left. It was a bit of a mismatch though because this group has always been more rollplay than roleplay.

>should clarify, the game is not ending because I left.
We know, but thanks.

>No, because I know how That Guy just builds resentment, no matter what people say.
>"No matter what people say, I know they resent me. I know better than them what they truly feel. Everyone is better off without me. Nobody could possibly not resent me. How could anyone not resent me! I am a That Guy! I am a monster! A MONSTER!"
No, you're not overeacting at all.

>I've tried to change, but it never works. I always lapse.
>"I haven't succeeded in permanently changing my behavior yet, so therefore I never will. I will always fail. I can never change. People who really change do so easily and never relapse. I am unfixable!"
Clearly, you have a mature grasp of how people develop as individuals.

>So I left.
>"So I took the coward's approach rather than actually working on maintaining positive change."
You have resolved nothing.

>I assume all my friends either secretly hate me or secretly find me annoying but pity me too much to tell me to fuck off.
Pro tip: Every Eeyore out there would be best off not worrying about what others secretly felt it how much (they're certain) every hates them, and just focus on being a better version of themselves than they were yesterday.

Am i being that guy for wanting combat at least once in an 8 hour game session? I'm not trying to pick fights on purpose but man after 8 hours of talking,investigating,planning i sure could go for some action.

Nah, I think that's a legitimate expectation.

If you're actually participating in the RP consistently and giving it your all, there's nothing wrong with enjoying the combat mechanics of the game.

>Am i being that guy for wanting combat at least once in an 8 hour game session?
See
>It is like claiming that your friend is wrong for playing counterstrike or battlefield as opposed to fallout or skyrim.
Sometimes the amount of combat depends on the game, but in general, preferring more combat is fine.
If your group doesn't do it as much, talk to them, then maybe consider a different group.

I personally design at least 3 combats per 4-6 hour sessions.
But PCs can avoid planned combat too.

Naw that's fair game. At that rate, I feel like a DM should throw in a random encounter. Heck, maybe after the current plot hook that fight can come up again later.

Do you want my honest to god opinion? You're disgusting, your grovelling sickens me to the deepest recesses of my soul. I'm happy for those people that you left and burden them no longer. Go whine to your mummy how you're so bad and useless and unlovable.

dude
did he hit a nerve of yours?

I know his type. You should kick them in the balls as hard as you can as soon as you can, or else they would never stop their disgusting self-crucifixion.

That's natural. The combat is there to provide tension and to break up pure RPing. Personally I find RPing mundane stuff for hours on end to be extremely tiring and need something like combat to break the monotony.

Different guy here. You know, a quarter just dropped with me. I used to know a guy like that, too. Constantly emphasising how he's a bad person. He did it for attention, and I'm damn sure he has a personality disorder.

He restyled himself as an alcoholic pedophile. I saw it happen. Nothing weak or natural about it. He wanted to be like that. Maybe it's nothing, but if it isn't, this That Guy user is walking a dangerous path.

It sounds like That Guy user really IS That Guy.

He might have a form of that typically Japanese pathology where people get so obsessed with not upsetting others that it turns into a mental illness. He might not be a bad person. But the guy I knew who styled himself as a bad person genuinely was a bad person.

>be senior in high school
>junior friend invites me to his TTRPG campaign
>never got to really play before, but always wanted to
>agree
>get character sheet and excitedly make my first barbarian
>show up
>get ready for an epic story and adventure
>whole thing is improv on the spot
>doesn't follow any specific system, we just roll dice for everything
>every situation he creates is far out of our level and skill range
>makes ridiculously OPNPC characters that are supposed to be funny but are just cringy
>has scripted PC deaths
>calls my characters shit and one dimensional

Wish I knew where to find an actual D&D group where I live.

>doesn't follow any specific system, we just roll dice for everything
I can dig that. Sometimes simplicity is a blessing, especially in a campaign heavily focused on roleplaying. I realise that yours wasn't, but I still feel the need to defend this point.

>fetishy dragonborn sorceress that has ''giant tits'' and is a prostitute
>and is a prostitute
>a prostitute

I wouldn't have even stuck around to play out the first session.

This proves that you can indeed have a group of That Guys with you as the only good player. Fuck the trendy relativists.

yeah, if we had roleplaying, i wouldn't have minded the excessive number of rolls, but he never really gave us time to develop our characters or create a unique story.
To be fair, it wasn't completely absent as he told me to say my intimidates when I passed the check, and i wasn't the best either as it was my first campaign. Not a fan of how it worked out, but i don't want to be unfair.

>There is nothing wrong with caring more about mechanics than roleplaying.

There is. It's called being a pleb.

It's also pathetic, objectively. I can see your mindset working fine for wargames, where the opponent is going all out to win just like you are. I like skirmish wargames myself. But in a PnP RPG, where the opposition in a combat encounter is balanced such that the PCs are likely to win, where many GMs fudge dice to make that happen, where the rules themselves are usually stacked in favour of the PCs anyway, and you're still "muh mechanics"?

You're the kind of cuntbubble who'd sit in a pile of shit, making little shit-castles and rubbing shit into your eyes, and when someone says "Dude, no..." you'd scream back "BADWRONGFUN!!! BADWRONGFUN!!! YOU'RE BEING A BADWRONGFUNNER!!!". Just kill yourself.

This is an irrational response to user's comment, full of unwarranted assumptions and emotion.
Why does it produce this reaction from you?

>You're the kind of cuntbubble who'd sit in a pile of shit, making little shit-casltes and rubbing shit into your eyes
user ... I ... you know, being cancer is like being a vampire; neither can see themselves in a mirror.

user, are you ok?
Your reaction to the other user is very concerning.
Have you had a bad experience with combat-based games?

Nah, that's fair. A lot of tension comes from combat in a story, so having some combat to break the monotony is good.

Like, I'm writing a one-off or new players, to introduce them to the RP and investigative side of things, but I realized that it got boring quick, so I have a few encounters where the bad guy shows up to fuck with the PC's and send all sorts of shit after them.