Anyone interested in chatting about true innovation in the blockchain sector?

Anyone interested in chatting about true innovation in the blockchain sector?
I am comfortable not investing right now and always like investigating innovation but I have no one to partake in this activity with.
I wonder is there any discord or chat groups Wouldnt mind setting up a rolling thread on here as well for like minding folk.

Other urls found in this thread:

hackernoon.com/blockchains-dont-scale-not-today-at-least-but-there-s-hope-2cb43946551a
youtube.com/watch?v=vmwnhZmEZjc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_fault_tolerance
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yeah check out VeChain. It's a way for consumers to track their products. We live in an age where GMO is obscure (I agree) and everyone wants to know more about their food, eat organic. We don't really know what happens to our food most of the time and VeChain is a good solution

What's your take on all the different consensus algos rolling out? I think the selection of the consensus protocol is what can make or break a coin. What's your favorite?

What do you think about blockchain scaling issues? Are these a real problem inherent to the protocol or not?

I am unsure if a public blockchain is good for tracking vast amount of items like what that product proposes. A private blockchain would probably be better so you wouldnt need mining fees. Would welcome counter argument if I am wrong here.

What do you mean consensus algos? Like dags?

For understanding scaling issues I find this article good:
hackernoon.com/blockchains-dont-scale-not-today-at-least-but-there-s-hope-2cb43946551a

Start by googling POW vs POS, that should give you an overview about their purpose. There's other, better consensus protocols out there too, though. Basically, the nodes of the network need to reach consensus as to what the next block to be written in the blockchain should be.

Thanks for the article, haven't read

Agh I see, sorry, just up. I am familiar with both. Just havent investigated them or other consensus mechanisms properly.

POW and POS seem to have trade offs. What do you make of a hybrid? Like decred?

Anyone think EOS will change things? I know Dans a bit of a chancer but he has been around forever and could make an eth killer.

There's tons proof-of-* protocols, mostly POW and POS seem to be in practical use. POW as a whole is complete garbage, as Bitcoin shows. POS is not ideal because it's pseudo-centralized, giving the power to the wealthiest nodes. dPOS seems like a pretty good tradeoff. Then there's the more interesting ones, BFT, dBFT and SCP. These focus on solving the problem from a different angle. Personally I think SCP (Stellar Consensus Protocol, call me a shill if you wanna) is genius.

I think any innovation in this space would require identifying an actual problem that would be better solved with blockchain in the first place.

>BFT
Meant to say fBFT. I'm no expert on the matter either, but googling the terms should get you pretty far if you're interested!

Value transfer and resource-sharing are obviously legit use cases.

I never heard of SCP. Thanks for that. Shill away if youre passionate about it.

with delegated X, youre replying on another chains consensus working arent you? Doesnt seem stable long term.

Thanks for SCP. Something new to look up.

Yes, this is crucial. Too many projects right now could be solved cheaper and easier with a central database.

Nice! youtube.com/watch?v=vmwnhZmEZjc

Watching the first half and the end of this is a pretty good investment if you really wanna dive into it (don't worry, some of it goes over my head too). I recommend skimming parts of their whitepaper too. But first, I recommend doing some reading to get the general picture about the problem that they're trying to solve en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_fault_tolerance

To my understanding, whenever something is called "delegated", it means that not all the nodes of the network participate in the process, rather they select representatives, witnesses, to participate in the consensus.

thank you! Anything else youre excited about currently?

Well, I think Ethereum's developments are pretty interesting, they're pioneering some pretty cool shit and it's gonna be neat seeing how well they can pull it off. Decentralized apps as a whole are a somewhat underexplored concept IMO still.

Other than that, projects aiming for shared resources are great. There's several projects offering shared encrypted storage space for cheap, and at least a couple of projects trying to pull off "the new internet" with shared servers. MaidSafe is one of the more legit ones, but I think it's years away from being ready, if it ever completes.

>could be solved cheaper and easier with a central database.

Decentralized networks are cheaper and more secure than centralized networks. And once you have your platform far easier to manage as well.

Oh, I'm also holding thumbs up for Cardano. Not that I think it's a good investment considering how overpriced it is.

Yea, I like cardano but missed that boat. Any opinions on EOS? Horribly over priced but what its trying to achieve seems unrealistic.

Yes, decentralised apps are new. I think they will be mainly used for censor resistance starting off. So dodgy shit.

I haven't put much time into EOS, but I just can't see the value of building a supposedly superior platform on top of another platform, when said parent platform can just adopt those improvements as well. But don't take my word for this

Oh, another interesting project I remembered: foldingcoin. folding@home, but you get paid. Fantastic stuff.

Is that the same folding @ home that was on the playstation years ago to fold proteins?

any way we can keep talking?

Ah sorry mate, I'm pretty preoccupied with stuff and not very good at appearing in social networks regularly so I dunno if that would help. But it was a nice thread, thanks for making it! Maybe you can keep making these and I'll chat if I'm around, some other people might show up as well

Also yes

yea, I am the same. I just exchange emails with people. I will try but I dont spend much time on here because .. Veeky Forums