Are there any games out there with a similar fluff to John Wick's setting?

Are there any games out there with a similar fluff to John Wick's setting?

Like, the cool "mirror-shades mercenaries" underworld. It felt a bit like World of Darkness, but instead of vampires and werewolves, the secret societies were made up of assassins and the people who employed them.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Albania
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Most Cyberpunk games are essentially a more advanced version of the idea

OP why do you use "game" synonymously with "setting"?

This.

Personally, I think the goofy Underworld elements of the setting (along with the questionable gold coin economy, and Baba Yaga codename) are the weakest parts of the film.

I'd enjoy these films much more if the antagonists getting murderized were the nasty Muslim rape gangs that roam European and North African cities, and now monopolize the low end of the drug, guns and people smuggling rackets.

But Hollywood is too politically-correct and censorious these days to show Muslims in a bad light.

I don't?

I'm looking for game systems with a setting that is similar to John Wick's.

Mulslim gangs aren't organized in any way. They're the go-gangers of Shadowrun, while Eastern European mobsters are the ones that control the actual black markets and underworld dealings.

The Violence RPG.

The Muslim Brotherhood and its offshoots organize them through fake charities and Balkan smuggling routes (Albanians, Montenegrans, Chetniks). They're plenty organized.

> Despite innovative game design and exhaustive lists of equipment and weapons (including both belt and orbital sanders), monster types and possible scenarios, it is largely and deliberately unplayable because of an exhaustive rule-set.

Kek, I might give this a read.

Isn't that the plot of the Taken films.

I mean there's a number of systems you could run that in. GURPS could probably handle it, OATS and Twilight2000 would take no real houseruling to fit that setting, and most cyberpunk games could probably handle it depending on how much of the tech you want to use/rule out.

>PolAreTheNewBronies.jpg

I know; I'm not looking for games to run John Wick with, I'm just looking for games with similar fluff, mostly out of curiosity and for inspirational reading purposes. Like you said, there are dozens of systems that can pull off the kind of action we see in the film.

Shadowrun's criminal groups are well developed and described in... Ghost Cartels, I think was the book?

This. I know they got two films out of that. From Paris With Love dabbles in it a little.

Three films and albanians not muslims.

You do know Islam isn't an ethnicity right? Albanians are, in their majority, muslims.

I do know being Islamic isn't an ethnicity, didn't know the religion was dominant in albania though. There are no indications, that I saw, that the albanians in the films were muslim, just pointing that out.

I still can't figure out if the author actually hates violent shit despite writing it, a la every idiot who worked on Spec Ops: The Line, or if they're taking the piss out of powergamers and the "TABLETOP GAMES ARE SATAN" shit of the 80s and 90s.

>cool "mirror-shades mercenaries" underworld
You used a Shadowrun term in the description so it seems like Shadowrun is what you're looking for.

So everything should be spelled out and be obvious for you to get, good one. You basically want a movie filled with stereotypes to satisfy whatever need for Muslim adversaries in your fiction.

I'm too lazy to make a joke contrasting John Wick the movie character with John Wick the RPG writer, so make up your own and put it here.

"Muslim" gangbangers just look/act like guineas from Staten Island

Not what i was fucking saying, don't misrepresent me, when you don't know me. There is very little to hint at their religion and in fact I was leaning towards Eastern Orthodox for that particular gangs or gang leaders religion from the funeral scene in Taken 2.
if that's true, thanks for the info.

>Not what i was fucking saying, don't misrepresent me, when you don't know me.

I thought the Albanians were Catholics, by and large?

>mirror-shades
>a Shadowrun term
Nigga you dumb.

So did I, or rather Eastern Orthodox, as they'd be under where that religion has traditionally held sway as far as I know. It occurs to me now that this or these assholes
could simply be trolling or /pol/ memeing.

Literally posting this from a 7eleven next to the red light district being paid to be here by two albanians. Albanians are muslim, most prostitutes here are african, from countries like ghana, there's literally two of them in the store right now, the organized crminals are a clusterfuck of slavs, muslim immigrants, gypsies and the local hell's angels chapter and other such gangs, also a bunch of subsaharan africans walking around all night. It's kinda difficult figuring out where one prostitution ring ends and where the drug traficking or gypsy scamming rings begin.

Tell me how, in fucking 2000 + 17, the year of our lord Jesus Christ, there are people who still can't bother to take 20 seconds of their life time to look up information on google?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Albania

>Albania is constitutionally a secular country, and as such, "neutral in questions of belief and conscience".[1] The most-commonly practiced Religion in Albania is Islam

Having other things to do than google shit, and not caring what goes on outside our countries unless it affects us, and also I personally prefer to use my own knowledge base whenever possible, incomplete as it is.

>CommunismIsTheNewCatholicism.jpg

Stop being so defensive about being wrong and one day you might actually become someone people enjoy talking to.

>use my own knowledge base whenever possible, incomplete as it is.

t. Ignorant fuck gets defensive about being ignorant and refuses to learn.

>everything has to be about me, me me me and my obsession with muslims

>But Hollywood is too politically-correct and censorious these days to show Muslims in a bad light.
Taken 1, Taken 2, Zero Dark Thirty, The Assault, Body of Lies, The Hurt Locker, Septembers of Shiraz, Eye in the Sky, The Kingdom.
Almost every single movie about terrorism made since 2003.

>i have the time to express my opinion about something, but not time to check if my opinion has anything to do with the truth

The Feng Shui RPG is designed as a very cinematic, crazy-stunt, lots-o-bullets type system. It's got Hong Kong action movies as it's genre, but you can always strip away the kung fu elements and just stick to the gunplay.

Not being defensive just stating what I thought it would be from what I know about history, that being that, as Albania was traditionally Roman and Greek territory for much of it's history Eastern Orthodox would be the default assumption for one with no knowledge immediately at hand. I was wrong about what it is now, and am more than willing to accept that and learn from it.
I am willing to learn, and as we are all ignorant in some ways that insult has no meaning whatsoever.
I'm currently talking to a friend who is critically ill and in the hospital, is that important enough to warrant not googling common Albanian religion in the current day and age?

Thanks, I'm actually literally reading through the Feng Shui 2 core rulebook at this exact moment.

The setting is amazing, holy shit.

Feng Shui is some legit stuff. Haven't checked out Feng Shui 2 yet though.

>I'm currently talking to a friend who is critically ill and in the hospital
Then you probably shouldn't be wasting your time shitposting on Veeky Forums.

>Not being defensive

>I'm currently talking to a friend who is critically ill and in the hospital, is that important enough?

See, you don't have to explain yourself in an anonymous image board. You don't owe us shit; if you're wrong, you're wrong. You thank whoever corrected you, and that's it. There's no need to give us excuses to why you were wrong in the first place, we don't know you.

I retreat to familiar places in times of stress, and thank you for the info, if either of is the one who posted the link. I was just trying to contribute wasn't aware I was wrong about Albanian religion.

Sure, we all get shit wrong on the internet from time to time. Hope your friend gets well soon, m8.

So do I, thanks man.

>Whiny white bitch whines about not being able to bomb people on a hunch for three hours straight
>Somehow this reflects poorly on Muslims