Earth is no more

>Earth is no more
>The humanity now lives on space habitats. Scattered in the solar system.

Would there be enough raw materials for it?
Would it be monotonous for a space opera setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seveneves
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Would it be monotonous for a space opera setting?
I dunno man, ask these guys.

>raw material
get mining those asteroids buddy
many planets/planetoids have some raw material in great quantity, but there arent many planets that have it all, so trade would be the lifeblood of their society
some places are rich in ice, so they could trade water for all the other things they need but cant find on their tiny corner of the solar system
>monotomous
living on mars would be incredibly different from living on a space station, or on the moons of jupiter, its all in how you spin it
the earth is way smaller than a solar system, but we havent quite run out of places to show

how is earth no more? is the entire planet destroyed, or is the surface uninhabitable. in the event of the former, you can still mine the remenants of the earth from the chunks, and if its the former, than you can have people in sealed suits or robots to do the mining for materials. either way, you still have plenty of things to mine. everything in the asteroid belt, and stuff from the moons of jupiter and Saturn, and the gas that you could get from theim

>Enough raw materials for it
>Implying the earth is the only place you can mine

Oh, there's plenty of raw materials. I once read a study that estimated there's enough material in the asteroid belt along to support trillions of human beings at comfortable First World levels. And it wouldn't be monotonous, since each planet would have its own unique conditions. Combine it with varying stages in the terraforming process, all the weird stuff you can do with space colonies, and widespread space infrastructure and you can have a lot of cool variety to work with.

>I once read a study that estimated there's enough material in the asteroid belt along to support trillions of human beings at comfortable First World levels

Real life is cosmic horror.

This is basically Eclipse Phase but lets assume for a second that setting doesn't exist.

What is the condition by which the Earth is no more? Is there large chunks of it floating around? Is the world a giant irradiated ball of nope that even wearing protective gear is useless? Monsters have overtaken the world?

More importantly what is the state of the moon? Things will be fine as along as you hollow it out and build a massive city inside of it while in the process of building several other moon sized habs.

/thread

Earth is hit by a big asteroid.

once again, what is the size of the devastation? like when a giant rock crashed into the earth when it was still forming, sheered off a chunk and that chunk became the moon, or just large enough to devastate and ruin the biosphere completely. in either case, you still have leftover chunks of rocks to mine material from.

It could be some new religion took over and haram the Earth in favor of going to space. So, everyone left while those who refused were killed to the last using targetted airborne virus. The Prohibition from even orbiting the Earth remains.

SevenEves

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seveneves

It certainly would not be boring. Travelling from habitat to habitat can result in the players experiencing a wide variety of habitat-technologies and different groups that have all left Earth for a reason? Want actual space nazis? Okay. Want libertarians, communists, Reagan-Republicans, FDR-Democrats, uplifted chimps, anarchists, role-playing gamers who are living their lives as 24/7 larps, criminal gangs, racial identity groups, militant lesbians, corporate governments, sex-and-drug addled communes, completely reasonable communes, utopian fantasists, furries, human-animal hybrids, gritty industrial facilities, pirates, slavers, whore-houses, salvage yards, mercenary bases, etc. etc. ? Yeah, you can have them all... and more.

>Would there be enough raw materials for it?
Yes
>Would it be monotonous for a space opera setting?
No

There's plenty of room for fun shenanigans in space, doesn't matter what or when. Especially if we have Mars (partially) colonized, some of the bigger Asteroids too.

Check out 'The Expanse' for a look. Not exactly Space Opera, but a good place to get inspiration or start.

The numbers gods have blessed your endorsement with quads! Thanks user.
This recommendation is also acceptable

Basically OP you've got plentiful room to explore the solar system as a space opera.

Just because The Expanse has relatively hard science underpinning its space travel doesn't mean it's not space opera, tried and tested.

Sounds awesome. It would be cold war X 10. Resources would be scarce and oft fought over but no station can risk an all out war because it would likely mean the destruction of both. Lots of shows of power and sly insults with most work being done by privateers looking for the money. Perfect set up for the PC's they can pick who they work for and do all kinds of shit but if they fuck up there is no back up. Perfect for those do or die situations. Where there is a good chance they wont make it out alive and friends will be lost.

Hope you're not neglecting the possibility of permanent colonies on Mars or the moons of Jupiter and Saturn. That would really get my GM motor running.

>its all in how you spin it
Spinning stuff up is more of a Belters thing, Tumang. Dem Martians don't have to deal with no Coriolis Effect, I'm telling you.

Speaking of, gotta get back to reading 'The Expanse'.

i stopped right after they did the fast foreward to the new era when earth was more stable

It would be a new age of UNDERSTANDING

There are plenty of asteroids to mine for most materials.

Your biggest problem is, ironically, dirt. Or the lack of it. Unless you have a reliable source of dirt, or the means to manufacture it, your food growing capabilities are very limited.

This is important:
Do we have spiral energy?

If we had spiral energy, the Earth wouldn't have been destroyed.

Duh.

What is spiral energy?

>Would there be enough raw materials for it?
Plenty.
The issue is organics, since Earth is basically the only source of things like FUCKING SOIL. You'd need to painstakingly recreate it by blending dust and crushed rock with shit and shredded plant matter, and then dumping more and more organics in to rot, and more rock dust substrate.
Better hope you had a few really big habitats given over to agriculture. You're going to need a lot of grass and straw, and a lot of cow shit.