How deep is the lore of your setting Veeky Forums?

how deep is the lore of your setting Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/9SgQAUBglJE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This.
Unity Duty Destiny as a creed.
A would-be god who planned his eventual demise and counteracted it.
Masks which if destroyed would affect all of reality.
Said storyline is within the time-span of 100,000 years.
Grimdark elements such as:
People getting sliced in half.
People mutating themselves to serve their real god.
Another god who went rogue and started enslaving people.
A mask which cursed a god with eternal life and all other things in close proximity would become alive... cursed to hear the thoughts of even the smallest bacteria.
All makuta purged their inner morality and mutated their bodies into horrible creature forms.
Said real god is their entire universe and if they fail he dies.
They save him of course.
And then it goes full gurren lagan.
I just told you the silmarillion parts.
Here is the link about said god.
youtu.be/9SgQAUBglJE
It also has kaitas which are like fusions but practical.
This entity was formed between takanuva and makuta.
Takanuva is the toa of light and thus required to "light the path".
Makuta wants it to remain his domain...
Shadow.
Via life giving fluid (Protodermis) every thing in the bionicle universe is made of it.
Energized protodermis being the most powerful but dangerous.
Said being is controlled by takanuva until it is crushed.
Said beings spit apart leaving makutas mask on one side and takanuvas on the other.
Takanuva is of course resurrected.
Makuta as well but during the inika storyline.
Makuta teridax hijacks the great spirit robot
(40 million ft.)
And sends the mask of life (Now containing mata nui himself) to bara magna.

like so deep dude

shit forgot pic.

>Polynesian robots, awesome!
>Suddenly D E E P E S T L O R E

That's just half of it.
I'm serious.
I'm too lazy too make a proper copypasta.

If I don't say it during the game, it doesn't exist.

My magic system is based on an examination of real life magical practices, drawing on Fraser's 'The Golden Bough' for hundreds of examples of sympathetic magic.

I don't have deities as such, but when people die their spirits join the Oversoul and add their character to its own. A single person won't change it much, but the effects of millions can be quite dramatic. For this reason the equivalent of Paladins in my setting prefer not to kill evil people because it would taint the Oversoul. Evildoers are captured and everything possible is done to make them earnestly repent. Those who will not are ritually lobotomized and employed as temple serfs (spirits have a dualistic nature and over time come to reflect changes in the physical body).

Pretty damn deep. For example, the motivation of the 'heavy' villain is actually based on a personal feud he had with an ex-PC's father, which caused him to be banished from his home after a few important mistakes and his already shaky moral compass getting him in trouble. He kidnapped an important NPC, the player character's daughter from a tryst (so the granddaughter of the villain's rival) to raise her as his own child as a 'fuck you' to the rival and the PC.
There's a +5000 year old villain whose sole purpose in life is to complete a plan literal millenia in the making, that will rewrite the world's timeline nearly completely and allow a goddess of chaos to alter it at will to fit her purposes.

let's see
>gods based on the Jungian archetypes
>elven history based on a mixture of Celtic and Aztec mythology with a bit of HPL thrown in
>the planet is similar to Naboo from starwars in internal structure and Aboleths live in its core
>deep dwarves encountered these aboleths and learned psionics and dark magic from their civilization

Much deeper than I intended, but the good news is that you don't need to know too much of it to run a campaign there. I think I made a good decision by dividing the lore by region, so that you can choose where you're gonna run your campaign, and then familiarise yourself with this place's lore.

Deep-ish? I ripped off big chunks of Warhammer Fantasy, I'll admit... About the only original thing I did was with the evil dwarves, and upon reflection they're basically stunted druchii, right down to being lead by a dude to tried to usurp the king and got his ass kicked. The ACTUAL dark elves, meanwhile, are too busy being hedonistic fucks to be anything more than a regional nuisance.

Just deep enough for me to write adventures and with no player left asking any unanswerable questions.

>pic related
In all honesty, for something what was probably started as how to make more cool as fuck LEGO, like LEGO Technic to sell to young kid, got deeper than a lot of other pieces of fiction

Deep enough that I can answer lore questions, shallow enough to adapt on the fly.

Not very. For some reason my creative writing ability has gone to shit in the last couple of years. Probably from not doing any creative writing in that time.

Right? I was too old to still be hard into LEGO when Bionicle hit, but I'd always heard the hype from younger LEGOfags. I decided to see what all the fuss was about -- a kid's show and a toy tie-in *sigh* neat -- and stumbled into something that looked more like the UESW. Shit is Glorantha-tier crazy.

The deepest. It's Equestria.

I know your game is about more than fun
When we joke around I see your look of pain
And the moment that you flip the table
I want to see you behind that screen again
And you come to me with a new rpg
Give us 'Dew in a mug and binders to read
And it's me you need to show

How deep is your lore, how deep is your lore
How deep is your lore?
I really mean to learn
'Cause we're playing in a group of fools
Going off the rails when they all should let us be
This game belongs to you and me

I don't worldbuild. It's a surprisingly good idea, and makes it a lot easier to run games.

>elven, Celtic and Aztec

Sorry but having any one of those instantly makes it a pleb-tier setting.

It's pretty shallow, but I generally don't bother with things my players will realistically not be affected by, and if they make tracks in that direction I just write it out and add it to the document.

>random Latin-ish names introduced halfway through

it all went to shit after the Metru arc.

Not nearly enough. It started out as just a fun heavy metal inspired setting with over the top characters and places...

I've spent almost 2 years working on it for a few hours every day, and I don't think it'll ever be ready unless I get myself out of my perfectionist mindset.

>full ethnographical fluff for 5 different peoples, rough outlines for like 10(?) more
>2000 years of history for one continent in broad strokes, more detail for the last 100 years of one city-state in particular, heavy focus on colonialist expansion (mixing the ancient Greek idea of a colony with the modern European one)
>all of this is relevant to the plot

I guess Glorantha is pleb-tier then. And that means pretty much every setting is.

10/10

>elfs

I've been trying for good ways to base magic off real magic, this book seems like just what I need

Just remember that deepness and originality are false gods that don't equal quality.

joke's on you, frog: I like world building for its own sake just as much as I like writing stories.

This is true. Deepness and Originality are a nice touch though, even if most of it is pretty much just subversion.

Honestly, I'd rather have an intriguing setting that catches my attention than one that is just weird for the sake of weirdness and and full of too many made-up words.

There is a god of acorns and cashews.

Jokes on you, I'm genuinely happy that you have a hobby you enjoy.

A well-executed cliche is always better than originality and "depth" for it's own sake.

so deep
so deep
so deep put your ass to sleep

This

I got more than that and I don't think my lore is deep. Also:

>gods based on the Jungian archetypes
That is dificult not to do, as about fifteen archetypes cover up most gods humanity has come up with in either history or fiction. I question if your gods are dry and cut replications of junguian archetypes, or if this means that each one is filtered through the culture(s) which worships them, and thus the 'sovereign' archetype god(s) represent different things to different people.

For example, freedom-loving nomads might have such a god as the villain, because it represents sedentarism, unification and subjugation to someone else.

I'll get back at you when I decide which outdated theory of gravity combines with magic and hollow suns.

But that's wrong.

I'm hoping to publish at least one novel on it, and have planned about 16 more.